Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
beerleaguecaptain

Bauer Shield For Corona Virus

I saw that on Facebook a few minutes ago. A few things came to mind:

• If it's a full shield that actually filters air, I would think it'd be very hot and may have fogging issues. 
  • Maybe they're just going to bring the Danny Heatley super long visor back
  • Remember the price of the Bauer Neurosheild concussion collar? I imagine this will be in the same price range which will make it unaffordable for many
Edited by althoma1

I can wear a respirator mask while doing lawn work or do-it-yourself activities, like this in the picture. It gets hot in the summer but its doable.

8051035.jpg

But, to wear something like that to filter out viruses while playing ice hockey at 100% would be difficult.

I think Oakley is working with the NFL on something like this also.

Edit: Yep, NFL and Oakley are looking at some type of face mask

https://www.designnews.com/medical/nfl-prototypes-face-masks-protect-players-covid-19/130376452663070

Edited by 215BroadStBullies610
Article

Whole bunch of companies are doing these too. Sparx is doing face shields too. Rebirth sports is making masks. One of the hockey companies, I can’t remember who, is making scrubs.

Im making a couple hundred masks to donate as well.

1 minute ago, IPv6Freely said:

Whole bunch of companies are doing these too. Sparx is doing face shields too. Rebirth sports is making masks. One of the hockey companies, I can’t remember who, is making scrubs.

Im making a couple hundred masks to donate as well.

I think the original post is referring to masks to wear whilst playing, not the masks and scrubs companies are doing an awesome job providing for front-line workers. Apologies if i've mis-understood the OP

• Like 3

1 hour ago, steve66 said:

I think the original post is referring to masks to wear whilst playing, not the masks and scrubs companies are doing an awesome job providing for front-line workers. Apologies if i've mis-understood the OP

Oh, nope. I’m the one that mis-understood. Oops.

• Like 1

I hope they can prove me wrong, but I just don't see it working. If an N95 mask gets wet then it's much harder to breath through it. It's already harder to breathe through a mask, but once you start sweating it will become even worse; so  if the filtration is similar to an N95 mask, players will either have to remove the masks to breathe or some may start passing out.

If they can come up with something that filters the virus while still allowing you to breath well (even after being soaked in sweat) and doesn't have major fogging issues that'd be great, but I'm pessimistic. Let's say the mask is perfect; you still have to deal with being in change rooms and the helmets have to come off eventually (even if you put on another mask right after taking off your helmet there has to be at least a few seconds where you have no mask on). Also, how do you drink water through the mask? If you try to go through the whole game without drinking water then you'll have dehydration issues. 

Edited by althoma1

We're talking about a community that took decades to accept half shields, refuses to wear any sort of shoulder protection, and swears by the gear they wore in junior or play in refs gear (yes I know a guy).

These are the guys you'll be making masks for, haha, good luck getting them to wear them. 100% positive I won't be. I'd rather hang them up.

Edited by stick9
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 5/23/2020 at 8:36 PM, althoma1 said:

I hope they can prove me wrong, but I just don't see it working. If an N95 mask gets wet then it's much harder to breath through it. It's already harder to breathe through a mask, but once you start sweating it will become even worse; so  if the filtration is similar to an N95 mask, players will either have to remove the masks to breathe or some may start passing out.

If they can come up with something that filters the virus while still allowing you to breath well (even after being soaked in sweat) and doesn't have major fogging issues that'd be great, but I'm pessimistic. Let's say the mask is perfect; you still have to deal with being in change rooms and the helmets have to come off eventually (even if you put on another mask right after taking off your helmet there has to be at least a few seconds where you have no mask on). Also, how do you drink water through the mask? If you try to go through the whole game without drinking water then you'll have dehydration issues. 

If you wore a respirator mask that has the cartridges that attach to a silicone shaped mask, then no paper elements would get wet, but the cartridges would get in the way and prevent you from wearing a full face mask, that's not feasible for children's hockey or guys who prefer to wear a full-face shield/mask. 

As for water, you would need to remove your mask and drink water. 

I'm guessing this thing isn't going to be as elaborate as people are making it out to be.  My shooting-in-the-dark guess is that it's going to be a new type of fishbowl cage that has side ventilation ports, or a much larger, full face, contoured visor.  If you re-read the Dreger text, it just says "help protect", which insinuates that it reduces risk, not eliminating it...

And I agree with stick9.  If these are optional, most will not wear it.

• Like 1

On 5/23/2020 at 5:45 PM, the_game said:

I’m ready...

F0493698-D456-4A11-9145-6E68E1102ABE.jpeg

You joke but...

6 hours ago, shoot_the_goalie said:

I'm guessing this thing isn't going to be as elaborate as people are making it out to be.  My shooting-in-the-dark guess is that it's going to be a new type of fishbowl cage that has side ventilation ports, or a much larger, full face, contoured visor.  If you re-read the Dreger text, it just says "help protect", which insinuates that it reduces risk, not eliminating it...

And I agree with stick9.  If these are optional, most will not wear it.

... I don’t think it’s too far off. A fishbowl with filters on the bottom half is probably pretty much what they’d be doing if I were to guess.

• Like 1

There is no new mask. Bo adapted part. No clue who started the rumor. Was in a meeting with people involved. 

It may have been a boardroom chat but there is no new mask coming for this fall. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, oldtrainerguy28 said:

There is no new mask. Bo adapted part. No clue who started the rumor. Was in a meeting with people involved. 

It may have been a boardroom chat but there is no new mask coming for this fall. 

I guess let Dreger know he's wrong?

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, shoot_the_goalie said:

Please forgive my ignorance then and going off topic here...  How are others posting images directly in their posts?

They aren’t. They’re posting an image link that renders automatically. 

Bauer pulled full face shields from Bauerbiz for dealers. I contacted my rep and all FFS are on allocation. I placed a few orders for fall delivery. I don't know if I will get all that I asked for. Word was that big box wanted all the inventory. I can't confirm that but wouldn't be surprised. 

CCM also pulled FFS from their B2B.

So if don't hesitate if you are thinking of going away from wire to a bubble. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DarkStar50 said:

Bauer pulled full face shields from Bauerbiz for dealers. I contacted my rep and all FFS are on allocation. I placed a few orders for fall delivery. I don't know if I will get all that I asked for. Word was that big box wanted all the inventory. I can't confirm that but wouldn't be surprised. 

CCM also pulled FFS from their B2B.

So if don't hesitate if you are thinking of going away from wire to a bubble. 

I think you may have misunderstood the thread 😆