Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
beerleaguecaptain

Bauer Shield For Corona Virus

Rink I play at will be taking our temp at the door and we won't be able to use the locker rooms.

They said show up sufficiently dressed, gonna have to learn how to lose enough weight to tie my skates with all my gear on.

Yeah that’s not really feasible for a lot of people. And think about the goalies. There isn’t much I can actually wear to drive to the rink.

On 5/25/2020 at 4:23 PM, shoot_the_goalie said:

I'm guessing this thing isn't going to be as elaborate as people are making it out to be.  My shooting-in-the-dark guess is that it's going to be a new type of fishbowl cage that has side ventilation ports, or a much larger, full face, contoured visor.  If you re-read the Dreger text, it just says "help protect", which insinuates that it reduces risk, not eliminating it...

And I agree with stick9.  If these are optional, most will not wear it.

That's what I'm thinking... and I'd be ok with that as long as overall infection rates are low.

An aside, and maybe I'm going off topic here, but I wonder if there will be any increase in discipline (for all types of play) for a player spitting at or licking another player (i.e. Marchand).  I've seen a player or two spit at another player  in leagues I play in (not a common occurrence mind you).  Usually it's an unsportsmanlike and a warning, and if you do it again, it's a 1 game suspension and a meeting with league coordinator.

21 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

I think you may have misunderstood the thread 😆 

Given that there will be no new FFS from Bauer this season, I thought it was in the public interest to share the information for those thinking of moving from wire to a bubble. 

I think you may have misunderstood my post. 🙂

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DarkStar50 said:

Given that there will be no new FFS from Bauer this season, I thought it was in the public interest to share the information for those thinking of moving from wire to a bubble. 

I think you may have misunderstood my post. 🙂

No I understood your post, it's just not related to what this thread is about. 

18 hours ago, chanxebyshev said:

Rink I play at will be taking our temp at the door and we won't be able to use the locker rooms.

They said show up sufficiently dressed, gonna have to learn how to lose enough weight to tie my skates with all my gear on.

I've had to retie my skates after all my gear was on. It's not easy so, I undo my pants belt and lacing at least to be able to bend forward more.

Just now, caveman27 said:

I've had to retie my skates after all my gear was on. It's not easy so, I undo my pants belt and lacing at least to be able to bend forward more.

That's just not an option for some of us, myself included. My skates go on before my pants, when I'm skating out. 

1 minute ago, IPv6Freely said:

That's just not an option for some of us, myself included. My skates go on before my pants, when I'm skating out. 

That's not related to what this post is about. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, IPv6Freely said:

I completely understand, I assumed he was a player.

There was this guy who wore all his goalie gear except pads, mask and gloves and drove to a pond on youtube. Guy is trav4oilers. 

2 hours ago, DarkStar50 said:

That's not related to what this post is about. 🙂

It was a reply to the post above mine, discussing hockey in a post-COVID world. I have no idea where yours came from as it had nothing to do with anything mentioned in the topic.

2 hours ago, caveman27 said:

I completely understand, I assumed he was a player.

There was this guy who wore all his goalie gear except pads, mask and gloves and drove to a pond on youtube. Guy is trav4oilers. 

That guy is an idiot who thinks he's hot shit on youtube.

I also have no desire to drive to a rink with my skates on. That seems very dangerous and stupid. 

2 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

I also have no desire to drive to a rink with my skates on. That seems very dangerous and stupid. 

It takes a special type of goalie to drive with gear on.

• Like 1

The message from Dark Star is about shields and Covid. Placebo or not, DS is getting word that people of snapping them up thinking they will be better protection than a cage. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

It was a reply to the post above mine, discussing hockey in a post-COVID world. I have no idea where yours came from as it had nothing to do with anything mentioned in the topic.

That guy is an idiot who thinks he's hot shit on youtube.

Oh, he also had his skates off.

Well, he knows he can't make in the NHL. He used to have an attitude that he was going to make it to the pros. Anyway, he is trying to make it into lower-level college hockey league and eventually, a low-level pro league, like SPHL. I believe one of his goalie coaches gave him an honest assessment of his ceiling. He knows he was cocky in the past and is embarrassed of his earlier videos.

Edited by caveman27

1 hour ago, SirJW said:

The message from Dark Star is about shields and Covid. Placebo or not, DS is getting word that people of snapping them up thinking they will be better protection than a cage. 

Got it. He hadn’t mentioned that the context behind his post was different from the original context of the thread. Anyway, moving on...

26 minutes ago, caveman27 said:

Oh, he also had his skates off.

Well, he knows he can't make in the NHL. He used to have an attitude that he was going to make it to the pros. Anyway, he is trying to make it into lower-level college hockey league and eventually, a low-level pro league, like SPHL. I believe one of his goalie coaches gave him an honest assessment of his ceiling. He knows he was cocky in the past and is embarrassed of his earlier videos.

He was able to get his skates on with his chesty and pants on?

As far as his videos... to each his own. His production quality is good but he’s just a blowhard with little substance. 

15 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

Got it. He hadn’t mentioned that the context behind his post was different from the original context of the thread. Anyway, moving on...

He was able to get his skates on with his chesty and pants on?

As far as his videos... to each his own. His production quality is good but he’s just a blowhard with little substance. 

Whether you like him or not, here's the video of him driving in goalie pants, jock and chestie to get to a frozen pond.

• Haha 1

I haven’t followed the NBA or MLB all that closely. Is there talk of wearing masks in those leagues? Or, is there discussion of NHL players wearing masks outside of this thread? 

I get kinda uncomfortable going for a brisk walk with a mask on. I can’t imagine being a pro athlete trying to wear one and do sports. 

On 5/30/2020 at 2:58 PM, DarkStar50 said:

Bauer pulled full face shields from Bauerbiz for dealers. I contacted my rep and all FFS are on allocation. I placed a few orders for fall delivery. I don't know if I will get all that I asked for. Word was that big box wanted all the inventory. I can't confirm that but wouldn't be surprised. 

CCM also pulled FFS from their B2B.

So if don't hesitate if you are thinking of going away from wire to a bubble. 

Bought the Bauer Hybrid two weeks into pandemic...  prob won't do shit but I dont think the Concept 2 or 3 will either....

2 hours ago, start_today said:

I haven’t followed the NBA or MLB all that closely. Is there talk of wearing masks in those leagues? Or, is there discussion of NHL players wearing masks outside of this thread? 

I get kinda uncomfortable going for a brisk walk with a mask on. I can’t imagine being a pro athlete trying to wear one and do sports. 

No talk about masks in NHL or NBA as far as I've read. 

From ESPN today:

"hockey equipment manufacturer Bauer has spoken with the league and teams about medical-grade off-ice visors that coaches, executives, team personnel and others could wear as a measure of protection against spreading or contracting COVID-19. Product vice president Craig Desjardins said the visor, which can attach to the brim of a baseball cap, is "feather light" despite being three times thicker than a medical shield and meeting the American National Standards Institute regulation for preventing droplets."

To be revealed today from my understanding.  From what it sounds like, it's not for on-ice play.

On 5/26/2020 at 5:07 AM, oldtrainerguy28 said:

There is no new mask. Bo adapted part. No clue who started the rumor. Was in a meeting with people involved. 

It may have been a boardroom chat but there is no new mask coming for this fall. 

According to their Facebook, the adapted part that is coming out in the fall (actually late summer) will be an add on to the concept 3 mask that provides additional splash protection around the mouth area.