Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
beerleaguecaptain

Bauer Shield For Corona Virus

30 minutes ago, Stewie said:

According to their Facebook, the adapted part that is coming out in the fall (actually late summer) will be an add on to the concept 3 mask that provides additional splash protection around the mouth area. 

Thanks!  I just checked it out.  The off ice shield does look like those full visors they use in the cycling world.

Howdy,

It seems pretty likely that closing off those areas is going to result in fog city...

But if I'm wrong, I'll buy a setup for sure.

Mark

On 6/17/2020 at 9:27 AM, cjpritch said:

Here is the twitter thread from Bauer 

Wow, I wonder if they have tested that on ice.

I have that mask. I use anti-fog spray. But it wears out by the second or third period. Sooner during the summer. Air flow from skating makes the condensation go away. If that's a solid blue plastic thingy, it's going to be fog-topia.

38 minutes ago, steve66 said:

I saw that Canlan Ice in Canada is preparing to re-open and is advising that full shields are advisable. Nowhere has stated they are mandatory yet...

https://www.icesports.com/itsplaytime/?j=7284599&sfmc_sub=26739722”&l=7835_HTML&u=86868485&mid=7209267&jb=318

This page suggests that the full shields are mandatory for ON and SASK and only recommended for BC, MB and IL: https://ashl.ca/ashl-summer-2020/

Edited by althoma1
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, caveman27 said:

I have that mask. I use anti-fog spray. But it wears out by the second or third period. Sooner during the summer. Air flow from skating makes the condensation go away. If that's a solid blue plastic thingy, it's going to be fog-topia.

You really have condensation issues that bad? Where are you playing? I played all four years of my college career wearing the Itech bubble (Concept II I believe) and it never fogged at all.  I’d get some sweat drops on it, but that just needs a towel on the bench between shifts.  The only time I had a fogging issue was when I removed the anti-fog film on one as an experiment. 

12 hours ago, caveman27 said:

I think the blue is just to highlight the shape, I may be wrong, but i don't expect that to be the colour of the product. And yes, i'm sure they;'ll have tested for fogging

• Like 1

3 hours ago, steve66 said:

I think the blue is just to highlight the shape, I may be wrong, but i don't expect that to be the colour of the product. And yes, i'm sure they;'ll have tested for fogging

Virginia. It gets hot in the spring, summer, and fall, so there's a lot of humidity in the rink.

I think everyone playing with fogged up full bubbles is probably more dangerous than this virus, not to mention it's going to create even more contact between players.   

also, in China when they opened schools back up the kids played sports with masks and some actually died from it. Apparently the mask was inhibiting o2 for some kids to the point of fainting and a few kids died. I think that's more dangerous for young, healthy folks than this virus.

I think a simple test before the season and then tell people not to come if they have symptoms and that's that. Anyone who feels like it might be dangerous can always opt out for a season and see how things go. Personally, I had covid in March and I'd say that it wasn't pleasant but I've had worse flu illnesses in past years. I got the flu last year and it knocked me out harder than this. People have to make their own decisions ultimately

Edited by Miller55
Typo
  • Facepalm 1

43 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

Well, here it is.

It's the same image as posted further up in this thread as part of the Bauer press release... The blue is just to highlight the shape of the 'splash guard' add on to the concept 3 visor

30 minutes ago, steve66 said:

It's the same image as posted further up in this thread as part of the Bauer press release... The blue is just to highlight the shape of the 'splash guard' add on to the concept 3 visor

Oops, I didn’t see it

19 hours ago, steve66 said:

I think this item is unnecessary, but to each their own. 

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

2 hours ago, shoot_the_goalie said:

It would get people to stop spitting on the ice/benches.

Not so sure, I would bet many will take them off in between shifts to clear off the fog, sweat and water. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

I guess it depends how seriously people still take covid when they return to sports. If you want to protect yourself, or help prevent any possible spread by reducing the spread of droplets from sweat, coughing, sneezes might be a simple addition to the bag.

The Schutt splash shield has an interesting simulation model

• Like 2

5 hours ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

Based on what? You think this is all a hoax? You live in AZ now...  have you seen that the Covid numbers are skyrocketing?   Florida through the freeking roof!

• Like 2

Corona isn't a hoax and playing hockey now is going to come with risks. I don't know if this will be effective enough to make it worth the cost of buying a full shield plus the filters and dealing with the likely drawbacks of extra fogging, less ventilation and more heat/sweat. It could help prevent virus transmission on the ice during play, but you'll have to lift up the mask to drink water on the bench and possibly to wipe off fog or sweat.

It's good Bauer is trying to come up with things to reduce the spread of the virus and make playing safer, but I don't know how much this product will help overall. The off ice shields and the off ice masks along with not sharing bottles, no hand shakes, limiting time in the rooms, social distancing in the rooms and modifying play with things like 4 on 4 ect. may be more practical. 

On 6/19/2020 at 3:48 PM, Miller55 said:

I think everyone playing with fogged up full bubbles is probably more dangerous than this virus, not to mention it's going to create even more contact between players.   

also, in China when they opened schools back up the kids played sports with masks and some actually died from it. Apparently the mask was inhibiting o2 for some kids to the point of fainting and a few kids died. I think that's more dangerous for young, healthy folks than this virus.

I think a simple test before the season and then tell people not to come if they have symptoms and that's that. Anyone who feels like it might be dangerous can always opt out for a season and see how things go. Personally, I had covid in March and I'd say that it wasn't pleasant but I've had worse flu illnesses in past years. I got the flu last year and it knocked me out harder than this. People have to make their own decisions ultimately

1 person died and it was ruled later not to be mask related.