Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
beerleaguecaptain

Bauer Shield For Corona Virus

17 hours ago, oldtrainerguy28 said:

1 person died and it was ruled later not to be mask related. 

Not sure where you got your info from.

https://www.sixthtone.com/news/1005609/after-multiple-deaths%2C-officials-call-for-no-masks-in-gym-class

This was early-May, with a bunch of cases since then with similar outcomes, including a few people in the US who died in car accidents wearing N95 respirators while driving. 

They never proved that it was absolutely not from the masks, the causes are still unknown in all cases except one I saw that was a heart attack, likely unrelated to mask. There's a big difference between definitely not and not definitely. 

My point being that there is also some potential risk in high intensity activity in a mask. 

I just do not buy that a splash guard is going to dramatically reduce the risk if playing indoor ice hockey. I think it's actually wrong to perpetuate that information, since the reality is that many people will buy them and just figure that they're protected and good to go. I think that the risk of playing with the splash guard is similar to the risk if playing without it, and I think that without the splash guard people are likely to be more cautious of contact than with it. I actually think that this is just a way for people to convince themselves that there is less risk involved in playing than there really is, and that actually hurts the effort to halt the spread of the virus.

Bottom line, there is risk involved in playing and I don't think the splash guard is going to mitigate that risk (and it had NOT been proven to), but I think it will convince enough people that they have mitigated that risk for them to not pay proper attention to avoiding contact during play and on benches. Thus, I feel it is actually doing more damage than good.

I think the best approach is to just be very clear about the whole situation. There is significant risk of infection playing indoor ice hockey. There is very little that will change this while still allowing play to be enjoyable and functional (IMO). For most young people, the virus is not dangerous, but the risk is that, while they will probably be fine, by playing, they risk picking up the virus and spreading it to someone who won't be fine. With that being the case, people should decide what they want to do and what risk they are willing to take. They can also decide to wear the splash guard or a mask if they believe it may help. They should know that there may be some risk in that as well. 

I think this is pretty simple and sensible, and I think it will help people make better decisions, rather than relying on all of these products that are completely unproven and then mandating them for play and then completely not enforcing any of it, which is what's actually happening. 

Edited by Miller55
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, oldtrainerguy28 said:

1 person died and it was ruled later not to be mask related. 

Now throw a bunch of 35 to 55 year olds in questionable shape into the mix. 

The mask we are wearing were never intended to be used during high intensity activities. At this point, I'd be more concerned with a cardiac event than I would be of covid. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, stick9 said:

Now throw a bunch of 35 to 55 year olds in questionable shape into the mix. 

The mask we are wearing were never intended to be used during high intensity activities. At this point, I'd be more concerned with a cardiac event than I would be of covid. 

I was going to reply to the above post as I have family/Business there. The article neglects to mention that these kids returning to school had been in lockdown for 70 plus days. Not like the Lockdown here in Canada and most defiantly not the USA version. The point being that if any of the 3 children that unfortunately passed away (out of the 1.4 Billion people in the country) had underlying health issues they would have been even more so after sitting inside for 70 days. And if any have been to China they know how small apartments there are. 

No the N95 or surgical masks are not intended for high intensity training and most over there wear a level 1 non surgical mask or there regular filtered custom ones like here. 

But I have yet to see a Surgeon wearing his mask for 12 hours in a complex surgery pass away? Sure they are exerting much physical energy but 12 hours in the same spot not moving the mask,....

As for people driving with N95 masks....use common sense......Why? 

"I think this is pretty simple and sensible, and I think it will help people make better decisions, rather than relying on all of these products that are completely unproven and then mandating them for play and then completely not enforcing any of it, which is what's actually happening."

This is a very good statement!!

Here is NY there was definitely 70+ days of lockdown and there would still be a lockdown if the govt has their druthers. The only reason not is because people simply stopped listening (and the George Floyd protests only accelerated that).

Anyway, 70 days indoors makes health worse? Maybe yes, maybe no. Small apartment? Brooklyn, buddy, I'm familiar. Could be something else, sure. But it could be the masks. I'm just trying to point out that there is risk in everything and the best way to navigate risk is to be very clear about it and then with the factors and make a decision. Everyone is going to weigh and decide differently, but the facts should be clear to everyone. If we list the pros and cons we'll probably all agree.

Personally, I think that anyone who wouldn't play without a splash guard shouldn't play with one either. I don't think there is enough there to sway the decision. And anyone who would play without a splash guard is more than welcome to play with one if they so desire. But in reality once the fogging starts, I doubt most people will keep using them. Then what? Then you have a bunch of folks who are already playing, take off theiir guard and say the hell with it. That's why I don't think this should really be a factor in the decision to play or not.

And driving with N95... You'd be surprised how many people I see driving alone wearing masks in the car. I don't get it either. Even outdoors wearing a mask is of minimal value.

Edited by Miller55

21 minutes ago, Miller55 said:

Here is NY there was definitely 70+ days of lockdown and there would still be a lockdown if the govt has their druthers. The only reason not is because people simply stopped listening (and the George Floyd protests only accelerated that).

Anyway, 70 days indoors makes health worse? Maybe yes, maybe no. Small apartment? Brooklyn, buddy, I'm familiar. Could be something else, sure. But it could be the masks. I'm just trying to point out that there is risk in everything and the best way to navigate risk is to be very clear about it and then with the factors and make a decision. Everyone is going to weigh and decide differently, but the facts should be clear to everyone. If we list the pros and cons we'll probably all agree.

Personally, I think that anyone who wouldn't play without a splash guard shouldn't play with one either. I don't think there is enough there to sway the decision. And anyone who would play without a splash guard is more than welcome to play with one if they so desire. But in reality once the fogging starts, I doubt most people will keep using them. Then what? Then you have a bunch of folks who are already playing, take off theiir guard and say the hell with it. That's why I don't think this should really be a factor in the decision to play or not.

And driving with N95... You'd be surprised how many people I see driving alone wearing masks in the car. I don't get it either. Even outdoors wearing a mask is of minimal value.

I dont think you understand, They were NOT allowed out with out a Govt approval. if caught you were arrested. you were not allowed out period!! 

Not like the US or Canada. And 400 sq ft is a big appartment

1 hour ago, Miller55 said:

I was told this by an MD during my time on a quarantine ambulance during all this. One aspect of the mask recommendation was to slow the rate of self transmission, as in touching a dirty grocery cart, then your mouth, nose, eyes. Does it look silly, yes. Does it work, arguably for the time you're wearing it, yes. But people will do it habitually as soon as the mask is off.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Buzz_LightBeer said:

I was told this by an MD during my time on a quarantine ambulance during all this. One aspect of the mask recommendation was to slow the rate of self transmission, as in touching a dirty grocery cart, then your mouth, nose, eyes. Does it look silly, yes. Does it work, arguably for the time you're wearing it, yes. But people will do it habitually as soon as the mask is off.

Oh I know one of my trainers is a rehab therapist in a Covid unit. She hasn't been able to work because she has been at the hospital. And now had to have back surgery. But we took our shop/training protocols from the Covid rehab therapy unit. 

It's strictly about slowing transmission that's all. 

Sure. You could also wash your hands. Anyway, in my area that's not the issue at this point. We got hit first and hardest, but by mid April the major wave was mostly done. Most people I know already got it months ago and most recovered. Unfortunately the are still a few people in the hospital that I know. 

Pretty generic message from one of the local rinks, right up until the end:

image.thumb.png.45263b46708df4f42d9586cd2b465fdc.png

Interesting about the "plastic shield". I wish the image was larger.

Just bought a Concept III I'll mount it on my helmet in a few.  I've had a visor on my coaching helmets, I haven't had a fishbowl before.  Just looking through it, kind of amazed at the clarity of vision over a cage.  I'll check out the additional guard when Bauer releases it.

Do you need to use an anti-fog spray on the Bauer and CCM masks? Thanks in advance. It's been awhile since I've worn a visor and I was wondering if the tech has changed.

Edited by the iceman

Yeah, not going to wear one of those, hopefully the manufacturers don't push to mandate.  I imagine they tested it but seems like it would retain moisture and cause more fogging in the clear shield.

It would probably fog the hell out of a full shield, but probably not bad in a cage.

I was thinking I was going to try the goalie one, but they aren't scheduled for release until October. By that point I'll have already been on the ice without it for over two months. If I really wanted to, I'd just make one myself *looks over at industrial sewing machine beside computer desk*

I’m kind of intrigued by the design, but between being $20 and not released for another five weeks, I doubt I’ll still be interested when it’s available. 

I played two pick ups wearing a thin cotton/polyester gaiter I have for snowboarding. It was ok. It limited breathing a bit, but not that much and I didn’t notice it while playing. It just got SWEATY. 

For some reason I'm skeptical about that mask actually fitting well and having a decent seal with the chin cup inside. Something about it just looks a bit off, like it will end up just sitting a bit away from the face and not being worth very much.

Howdy,

2 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

It would probably fog the hell out of a full shield, but probably not bad in a cage.

I was thinking I was going to try the goalie one, but they aren't scheduled for release until October. By that point I'll have already been on the ice without it for over two months. If I really wanted to, I'd just make one myself *looks over at industrial sewing machine beside computer desk*

I bet it fogs less than the Bauer thing where they fill in the vent holes in the concept 3.

When I raced motorcycles, shield fogging on a full face helmet was a problem in certain weather conditions.  Some helmet manufacturers made a piece sorta like a mask that covered the nose, with the goal being to direct breath down and away from the shield.  Wouldn't surprise me if the CCM mask did something similar.

Mark

21 minutes ago, Miller55 said:

For some reason I'm skeptical about that mask actually fitting well and having a decent seal with the chin cup inside. Something about it just looks a bit off, like it will end up just sitting a bit away from the face and not being worth very much.

Doesn't really need to have a seal, it's really more meant to limit what gets expelled (and the distance it gets expelled initially) through coughing, sneezing, and heavy breathing. 

1 hour ago, start_today said:

I’m kind of intrigued by the design, but between being $20 and not released for another five weeks, I doubt I’ll still be interested when it’s available. 

I played two pick ups wearing a thin cotton/polyester gaiter I have for snowboarding. It was ok. It limited breathing a bit, but not that much and I didn’t notice it while playing. It just got SWEATY. 

$20 is okay, but the timeline does definitely suck. As for the gaiter: wet it thoroughly beforehand. Makes it way nicer to breathe through and you don't notice the sweatyness. The one I got is a cooling gaiter so they're meant to be wet and wrung out before wearing anyway.

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

Doesn't really need to have a seal, it's really more meant to limit what gets expelled (and the distance it gets expelled initially) through coughing, sneezing, and heavy breathing.

I mean, I guess it doesn't need a seal, but it would limit a lot more of what's expelled...

31 minutes ago, Miller55 said:

I mean, I guess it doesn't need a seal, but it would limit a lot more of what's expelled...

Current thinking seems to be that it’s mostly droplets of spit that are most likely to transmit COVID, so this is acting more like a physical barrier. And, having that lack of a seal makes it easier to breathe and will help reduce bubble fogging by directing air to the sides. 

Being that it’s specifically designed for a high intensity sport, you can’t restrict airflow too much, or its not usable.