Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
beerleaguecaptain

Bauer Shield For Corona Virus

10 minutes ago, start_today said:

Current thinking seems to be that it’s mostly droplets of spit that are most likely to transmit COVID, so this is acting more like a physical barrier. And, having that lack of a seal makes it easier to breathe and will help reduce bubble fogging by directing air to the sides. 

Being that it’s specifically designed for a high intensity sport, you can’t restrict airflow too much, or its not usable. 

Yeah, it's definitely one of those "as good as you're going to get, given the situation, and better than nothing" type of things. Kind of like when I hear people say cloth masks are useless because they aren't tightly woven enough to stop 2019-nCoV, but the reality is that there aren't just viruses floating around the air. I also think people have this idea that the masks are meant to protect the wearer, which... they partially do, but that's not the general point. 

I don't think I'd use the player one (I'd rather use a Mission Cooling Gaiter), but the goalie one is intriguing. I may just make one myself, I have the right materials sitting here. 

Anyway, I don't see these selling a ton but I'm glad they're at least trying to do something at all. 

Believe the Bauer splashguards (for Concept 3 bubble) are set to ship this week and should be in the hands of pre-order customers by Oct. 1.  CCM "hockey mask" is also scheduled to be available Oct. 1.

Got word yesterday that some tournaments at the youth level are mandating face covering on ice (splashguard, CCM mask or regular mask under helmet) in order to play.   

Edited by krisdrum
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, SirJW said:

Not sure if this is new news or not but the article is new (dated 9/18). 

Okay just making sure I wasn't missing new information 🙂 

Anyone hearing about delays on the Bauer splashguard - at least the Junior size?  I pre-ordered and the original release date was supposed to be yesterday (9/24).  Now no longer listed as a product on the site I ordered from (in either size).  I saw another retailer advertise it being in stock and available.  Saw it listed on their site and a few hours later it was gone and now says "product not found".

Have any insider info you can share?  My son is finally going to start playing games and was really hoping to have this ASAP.   

At least CCM and others are giving people an option to play hockey and be responsible. This thread only proves why I haven't worn a pair of skates since mid-March and who knows when I'll be back because I know there were always be people who feel a certain way haha. What I'm glad is that there is a concentrated effort to keep hockey from being disrupted again.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, 215BroadStBullies610 said:

At least CCM and others are giving people an option to play hockey and be responsible. This thread only proves why I haven't worn a pair of skates since mid-March and who knows when I'll be back because I know there were always be people who feel a certain way haha. What I'm glad is that there is a concentrated effort to keep hockey from being disrupted again.

Agreed. At least they're trying and the CCM product actually makes some level of sense. 

• Like 1

Oh, for sure you could.  We tried ours this weekend.  Son HATED it.  Wouldn't even play with it on, made me take it off almost immediately after I installed it.  Can't drink with it on without opening the bubble completely.  The piece itself is about the thickness of a Poland Spring/Avion water bottle, but of a softer/more pliable plastic.  Comes with 3 little dual-sided velcro tabs, so you can quickly/easily swap them out.  I'm sure some engineering brainpower went into it, but the cost of the materials and innovation don't really match the pricetag.  But if you want your kid to play and keep them as safe as you can while on ice... there aren't a lot of options.   

The CCM one definitely makes more sense to me, especially the goalie one. None of them are worth the price, but it is what it is. If you think you can do better for cheaper than feel free to start your own business selling them 🙂 

Whats up with the old "baking skates at home" IW video? What is the relationship to the thread?

Is the CCM one available? I keep seeing the shipping date get later and later. 

I feel like if I put in an hour or two of work I could make one, but....I....well, I’m just lazy. 

2 hours ago, start_today said:

Is the CCM one available? I keep seeing the shipping date get later and later. 

I feel like if I put in an hour or two of work I could make one, but....I....well, I’m just lazy. 

Not yet I don't think. And I agree... I even have the materials and machine. I'm just not sure I care enough to bother. 

20 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

The CCM one definitely makes more sense to me, especially the goalie one. None of them are worth the price, but it is what it is. If you think you can do better for cheaper than feel free to start your own business selling them 🙂 

Whats up with the old "baking skates at home" IW video? What is the relationship to the thread?

Baking skates at home video? I didn't see that anywhere. 

If I thought that these splash guards or attachments actually provided a significant increase in preventing the transmission of C19 between players I would probably spend some time developing something more affordable. However, I think players are more likely to contract C19 from others off the ice. Before the game in the arena, in the locker room, after the game when hanging out, etc. I think the chance of contracting C19 while on the ice playing is relatively low. But then again I am not an epidemiologist. 

Edited by SkateWorksPNW

2 hours ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

Baking skates at home video? I didn't see that anywhere. 

Yes, the YouTube video you posted about baking your skated at home. 

46 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

I'm seeing a IW video on how to measure your foot for finding the right skate.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, colins said:

I'm seeing a IW video on how to measure your foot for finding the right skate.

1 hour ago, IPv6Freely said:

It's the video for the Bauer splash guard. Not sure why you are seeing anything else. 

Rg5J5kw.jpg

40 minutes ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

It's the video for the Bauer splash guard. Not sure why you are seeing anything else. 

Rg5J5kw.jpg

You must have shared a playlist or something instead of the URL to the specific video because that's not what we are seeing...

• Like 2

Ice Warehouse just put on their site a whole bunch of masks, now from CCM, Bauer, Under Armor, & Shock Doctor.  Not sure which one to buy.  Anyone have experience with these?  Like PNW said, I'm not too concerned with on ice, but more sitting on the bench next to other players.  Looking for it to be easy to drink (Shock Doctor looks promising), and if it's preferable to have the mask on the head or attached to the cage.

Thanks

I have the splash guard and it's certainly not what I thought it would be.  Envsioned hard plastic.  This, as discussed, is pliable, clear vinyl.  Didnt bother at all.  It fogs but its so low it doesn't impact vision.  Doesn't cover all slots but you do need air.  I guess I'd say it mitigates "some" risk.  I'm begrudgingly ok with it.  Hate wearing the plastic bubble tho...  oh well.

• Like 2