Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
SirJW

Return to NHL Season? Thread

This should be interesting. They need to practice, fly around to out of town games, and since some states and Canada might not be on the same schedule of "reopening", I don't know what some teams are going to do if they can't even go to practices, much less hold games. I'm sure those teams can fly the team and staff out of town to stay at a hotel and train at another rink, but that will be rough for guys with families. 

On 5/8/2020 at 1:19 PM, 215BroadStBullies610 said:

It would be nice to have hockey back but it will be sloppy play I'd imagine. Going from off-season mode to Game 7 mentality seems like a lot for such a short period of time.

I would assume that all teams will be evenly sloppy as no one has had practices. Only problem is teams who built up momentum have lost it all at this point.

We have our first step towards resuming the 2019-20 season with the approval of the return-to-play format by the NHLPA Executive Board.

The 31 NHL team representatives voted and a majority gave the thumbs up to the 24-team, conference-based proposal.

According to TVA’s Renaud Lavoie, the vote was 29-2 in favor.

Now the plan moves on to the Board of Governors for their approval.

Based on points percentage at the time of the March 12 NHL pause, the top four teams in each conference (Boston, Tampa, Washington, Philadelphia, St. Louis, Colorado, Vegas, Dallas) will receive a first-round bye. Round 1 will feature eight play-in matchups in a best-of-five series.

As the play-in round takes place, the eight conference leaders could potentially take part in a mini tournament that will determine the seeding for Round 2. Reseeding after the play-in round is another topic likely to be discussed.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/nhlpa-board-approves-24-team-020855452.html

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, caveman27 said:

That's true. it's not 100% fair. Board of Governors still have to approve it, so you never know.

Weird that you reacted to my post with "haha". What was funny about it? 

The 70 game solution is fair across the board. 

8 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

Weird that you reacted to my post with "haha". What was funny about it? 

The 70 game solution is fair across the board. 

NHLPA and Board of Governors would not have read your idea.

They didn't talk about what games are going to be broadcast on which stations. I cut cable so I would only be able to watch games on NBC (via digital antenna) unless they stream it on youtube for free, which I doubt. 

https://nypost.com/2020/05/26/nhls-24-team-playoff-awaiting-dates-hub-cities/

Lots to talk about.

>>>The seven teams that are not part of the return-to-play format can begin focusing on the NHL draft. The complicated lottery process will include those seven teams, plus the eight teams who lose in the qualifying round.<<<

Sure everything is topsy turvy, but it shouldn't favor a better team that loses in this experimental playoff. 

>>>The top four teams in each conference, meanwhile, would play a round-robin format to determine their seeds.<<<

What is this beer league? 

3 hours ago, caveman27 said:

They didn't talk about what games are going to be broadcast on which stations. I cut cable so I would only be able to watch games on NBC (via digital antenna) unless they stream it on youtube for free, which I doubt. 

NHL.tv?

• Like 1

Howdy,

It'll be interesting to see how they do broadcasting stuff.  Based on nothing but stuff pulled out of my butt, I would expect that regional networks would show the play in and round robin rounds, plus the first round after that, with some games also broadcast by nbc (likely on nbc sports but ???) w/blackouts.  Then 2nd round on would be nbc only split between nbc and nbc sports.

Mark

3 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

NHL.tv?

Yeah.  So I meant I don't want to pay for cable to get extra sports stations like NBC sports channel or for other paid subscription-based services, like NHLtv  I cut cable to save money.