Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
SirJW

Return to NHL Season? Thread

Not surprising, that has been the expectation for quite a while.

The other hub is likely Edmonton or Toronto if the league gets their way, but they have a second US city in the works in case they can’t get permission to have it in Canada in time. 

13 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

That’s because coaches aren’t allowed to be involved for some idiotic reason. Apparently an NHLPA thing.

Yep, totally idiotic.

So they had like 4 players and 1 goalie. and at one point in the video, they showed the players were about 3 feet away from each other, waiting their turn to shoot on the goalie.  

https://www.nhl.com/fr/canadiens/video/en-coulisses-phase-2/t-277634034/c-5385592

• Like 1

Matthews tests positive:

https://torontosun.com/sports/hockey/nhl/toronto-maple-leafs/maple-leafs-star-auston-matthews-tests-positive-for-covid-19

In other news, Phillies and Blue Jays camps shut down due to outbreaks.

Important to note though that in the case of the NHL, there are no restrictions on players interacting with society in phase 2, so there were bound to be some positive cases. Very different from players testing positive once the “bubbles” are implemented.

On 6/17/2020 at 1:39 PM, caveman27 said:

Yep, totally idiotic.

So they had like 4 players and 1 goalie. and at one point in the video, they showed the players were about 3 feet away from each other, waiting their turn to shoot on the goalie.  

https://www.nhl.com/fr/canadiens/video/en-coulisses-phase-2/t-277634034/c-5385592

It is just like normal times before camp officially opens. Coaches aren't allowed on ice prior to camps opening.

Outbreaks in all sports.

>>>Per the directive, “Players and staff are not to socialize outside the facility in numbers that exceed social distancing guidelines and safe social distancing is to be kept at all times.<<<

Good luck with that.

https://nypost.com/2020/06/20/nhl-sets-stanley-cup-playoffs-date-strict-coronavirus-guidelines/

Edited by SirJW

Why bother at this point? Even if they scrap the season and try to start on time or close to it for next season it sounds as if that might be damn near impossible so why bother trying to get something going now.

Might be a different conversation, and this whole thing might have me jaded, but I'm at the point where I don't care if the league comes back. Would I watch, maybe. But at this point in time I have so much other nonsense to deal with that the last thing on my mind is a pro sports leagues who's owners are desperate for revenue and players basing their return around salary escrow. 

• Like 1

Howdy,

Wow, crazy!  What happened with Vegas?

This thing is all over the map.  It wasn't that long ago that it seemed unlikely that they'd have a hub in Canada at all!

Mark

30 minutes ago, marka said:

Howdy,

Wow, crazy!  What happened with Vegas?

This thing is all over the map.  It wasn't that long ago that it seemed unlikely that they'd have a hub in Canada at all!

Mark

Apparently hit some snags. I would guess part of it is the skyrocketing cases in the US with no end in sight. I assume the plan was always to have them in Canada if possible, for many reasons (a big one is how much cheaper it is for them to do it in Canada) but like you said it seemed unlikely until recently - but that was primarily because of the border closures and quarantine issues. Apparently Vancouver also hit snags and was eliminated as a choice along with Vegas.

My guess is they had already chosen EDM and TOR *if possible* and were going to go to Vegas and wherever only if they had to, so they were waiting for the absolute last moment possible.

As for NHL players being infected, we have to remember we aren't even in camps yet so at this point there IS no bubble. So cases are kind of irrelevant because nobody is restricted. Now, if they see cases once the bubble is up then THAT will be something to be concerned about, though let's be honest the chances of ZERO infections are pretty slim. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SirJW said:

Will Canada allow non citizens in?

If they are part of the NHL bubble, yes. The PM already stated that.

49 minutes ago, the_game said:

where can I bet on the season not happening, I'd put all my money on that.

How come? I haven't seen anything that suggests it won't.

I don’t really see much risk. They’re probably far more likely to contract the disease in their everyday lives than they are in a hub city bubble. 

Howdy,

23 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

I don’t really see much risk. They’re probably far more likely to contract the disease in their everyday lives than they are in a hub city bubble. 

I think the risk is more about what happens to the competition if a bunch of folks get it.

If the Pens are in the conference finals and seven players test positive, do they have to forfeit?  What if both goalies test positive?  Or the head coach and his assistants?

Not saying that they shouldn't do it... I think they probably should.  But the way things are going, you know one team is going to have to play without its top six players, top goalie, and head coach for the Finals or something ridiculous like that.

Mark

• Like 3