Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
beardacus

Are the newer Ribcore skates the highest volume CCM skate?

On 5/11/2020 at 10:11 AM, CCMHockey said:

Going to take a stab at some items that came up over the past couple of posts. Thanks everyone for reaching out!

Forefoot is very comparable. Heel start a little more snug (but still very much a "B" heel) and can move out to compare with the nexus heel if necessary.

Rib EE has a higher instep measurement than AS3 Pro EE, so more volume and wrap🙂 

Very good call out here. I'm going to attempt to link some photos clarifying the current fit lineup:

Vz4eJc0.png

HisdAtD.png

Keep in mind that this 2nd image does not include the updated Super Tacks EE. Just imagine a little bit bigger yellow box 🙂 

1. Same idea on Jetspeed. RFM composite is extremely thermoformable and especially so in a one-piece boot as the bottom of the skate is also RFM and lacks the glue and nails that can impact the bottom and immediate sides of a two piece skate from moving as much.
  2. Not sure what happened during your bake but regardless, the next step is to remold them (2 mins in a hot skate oven, no more) and tie them about how you would when playing. It's not necessary to tie them extremely tightly or really crank down on the eyelet row. Be sure to remain sitting until the skates are cool to the touch and don't get up and move around. This should take awhile, maybe 15-20 mins. Take care when molding to lace the skates back up after you've taken them off and leave a full 24hr (at room temp, but colder is better) before unlacing and skating. Good luck!
  3. Not sure if this applies to you, but when taking them off after normal use, loosen the laces down several eyelets before taking them off. It should be extremely easy to slide off and not require much leverage or effort. The skate goes under a lot of stress when being tied up and especially when being removed so taking an extra 10 seconds to really unlace them can help preserve the molded fit.

I have a few questions about fit of CCM skates. I went from a 50k EE to an 80k EE and it didn't fit well so I returned it under the guarantee (super easy). I was having problems with heel slippage (in both skates) and the 80k didn't really wrap well. The tops of my feet are pretty high so do EE skates vary in that regard? According to the Fit Differences Forefoot picture above, all three models have the same height (volume?). 

I have a sightly wide, higher volume forefoot but have no idea about the heel. How do you determine if you have a narrow or wide heel?

I think I'm on the border of a D and a EE in the 80K so i was thinking maybe a EE in a Tacks would fit. Does this sound like good reasoning?

Lastly, I have flat feet but only when I put weight on them. So when I bake my skates, should I put some pressure down so that my feet are flat in the boot? TIA!

On 5/11/2020 at 1:11 PM, CCMHockey said:

Going to take a stab at some items that came up over the past couple of posts. Thanks everyone for reaching out!

Forefoot is very comparable. Heel start a little more snug (but still very much a "B" heel) and can move out to compare with the nexus heel if necessary.

Rib EE has a higher instep measurement than AS3 Pro EE, so more volume and wrap🙂 

Very good call out here. I'm going to attempt to link some photos clarifying the current fit lineup:

Vz4eJc0.png

HisdAtD.png

Keep in mind that this 2nd image does not include the updated Super Tacks EE. Just imagine a little bit bigger yellow box 🙂 

1. Same idea on Jetspeed. RFM composite is extremely thermoformable and especially so in a one-piece boot as the bottom of the skate is also RFM and lacks the glue and nails that can impact the bottom and immediate sides of a two piece skate from moving as much.
  2. Not sure what happened during your bake but regardless, the next step is to remold them (2 mins in a hot skate oven, no more) and tie them about how you would when playing. It's not necessary to tie them extremely tightly or really crank down on the eyelet row. Be sure to remain sitting until the skates are cool to the touch and don't get up and move around. This should take awhile, maybe 15-20 mins. Take care when molding to lace the skates back up after you've taken them off and leave a full 24hr (at room temp, but colder is better) before unlacing and skating. Good luck!
  3. Not sure if this applies to you, but when taking them off after normal use, loosen the laces down several eyelets before taking them off. It should be extremely easy to slide off and not require much leverage or effort. The skate goes under a lot of stress when being tied up and especially when being removed so taking an extra 10 seconds to really unlace them can help preserve the molded fit.

Follow-question: when rebaking my FT490, does this "reset" the memory foam inside? I'm worried that, since my complaint is that the skates feel too loose after the original baking, that a second bake would only make them feel looser.

I would like to make sure how rebaking affects the skate construction before moving forward since this may ruin the fit entirely for me. I should have not tightened them so much in the original bake...

On 6/11/2020 at 9:11 PM, calixguy18 said:

I have a few questions about fit of CCM skates. I went from a 50k EE to an 80k EE and it didn't fit well so I returned it under the guarantee (super easy). I was having problems with heel slippage (in both skates) and the 80k didn't really wrap well. The tops of my feet are pretty high so do EE skates vary in that regard? According to the Fit Differences Forefoot picture above, all three models have the same height (volume?). 

I have a sightly wide, higher volume forefoot but have no idea about the heel. How do you determine if you have a narrow or wide heel?

I think I'm on the border of a D and a EE in the 80K so i was thinking maybe a EE in a Tacks would fit. Does this sound like good reasoning?

Lastly, I have flat feet but only when I put weight on them. So when I bake my skates, should I put some pressure down so that my feet are flat in the boot? TIA!

Did you buy the same size?

Just from a length perspective a 50k fits a half size bigger than the 80k. I.e a 6.5 50K = 7.0 80K

So how long till CCM switches to the New Bauer fitting system?

How many more years is the Ribcore going to be around for? 

On 6/24/2020 at 11:24 PM, Beflar said:

So how long till CCM switches to the New Bauer fitting system?

How many more years is the Ribcore going to be around for? 

I hope it stays around, I love my Ribcores.

On 5/4/2020 at 11:38 AM, CCMHockey said:

As of 2019, Ribcor EE is CCM's widest, deepest out of the box skate. Conversely, Ribcor D is CCM's narrowest out of the box skate. The reasoning is that Ribcor construction is uniquely suited to molding and will serve a customer on the narrow (with D) and wide (with EE) part of the spectrum equally well. The main difference (and this is true for all CCM skates) is that the quarter material is super reactive to heat. So while the Rib EE may seem similar out of the box in size to a competing product, the amount that it will change during a baking/molding process is significantly greater and can fit a lot more feet as a result. Rib EE ends up being CCM's largest and blankest canvas for a foot to fit into and that's what makes it so useful for those with significantly different than stock sized/shaped feet.

Volume is a little challenging regarding Ribcor because of these same molding properties; the amount of wrap is going to depend on a lot of factors including the unique geometry of each foot and the only way to know for sure is to heat one up and tie it. CCM skates can be rebaked multiple times so no need to worry if it requires a couple molds, just keep 24 hours between heatings.

Finally, all CCM skates come with a 90 day satisfaction guarantee so if it ends up not working out, just return the skates and get something different. 

As a PS: We've done hundreds of retail fittings since the intro of the new Rib EE and 1 important learning has been that if it seems like nothing will fit well, Ribcor will probably end up working... Oftentimes we'll get called by dealers or equipment managers to work out an especially difficult fitting scenario and more often than not, the result is a Ribcor construction. 

Good luck with your skate search!

My son was in an older ribcor prior to the new fit system.  Can’t seem to get a Jetspeed or Tack to work.  He has a wide ankle with a low volume forefoot. Any suggestions? 

On 1/29/2024 at 10:33 PM, tvguy said:

My son was in an older ribcor prior to the new fit system.  Can’t seem to get a Jetspeed or Tack to work.  He has a wide ankle with a low volume forefoot. Any suggestions? 

Custom.