Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
YesLanges

Basic Rockering Question

I dug my 1997 Bauer "Breakout 50s" out from the back of a closet a few weeks ago. They're actually not bad, although I have nothing to compare them to. The wheel setup (that I don't remember doing) is 76-76-76-72, which felt OK, but kind of like skis compared ice runners...and they feel like they weigh about 10 lbs, each. Got some wheels in various sizes and changed to 72-76-76-72, which feels better and allows tighter turns. All the wheels I bought are 78A, because that seems like a good match on the rough-but-sealed concrete deck where I skate. Slightly softer could work well too, but I definitely wouldn't want anything harder with any less grip. (I'm 185 lbs.) I don't plan on playing roller hockey...just want to continue skating until the rinks open up again and keeping my mechanics as close to skating on ice as possible. The deck I skate on is roughly the dimensions of half an ice-rink neutral zone (split in half lengthwise...so blue line to blue line and boards to center face-off dot). I can do some drills, but I already run out of space quickly, so not looking for faster wheels...thinking that 68-72-72-68 might be optimal for my situation. 

Both boots are quickly developing cracks after sitting in a closet for 20+ years, so I ordered a couple of pairs of skates in case I decide to put the Marsblades I ordered on one of them instead of on one of my old Lange boots. One of them is Bauer RS and the other is Alkali 2, (only because every place I looked was already out of lower-end models and the seller upgraded me to the A2s after notifying me that the Tour Code 3.ones I actually ordered first were sold out). The Bauers come with (harder 82A) 72-72-68-68 and the Alkali come with 80-80-76-76 Konixx Tachyon (+0) "Indoor" wheels...both have Hi-Lo frames. I can't find any reference to what KT +0 corresponds to on the traditional durometer scale, but I'm assuming they're something like 76A or 74A. 

Questions:

1. Can I rocker Hi-Lo frames with 68-72-72-68 or 72-76-76-72? Any reason for me to stick with the Hi-Lo setup, instead?

2. The stock 80-80-76-76 will be faster and less maneuverable than the stock 72-72-68-68, right?

3. 76-80-80-76 will be a little slower but less stable than both of those rockered setups, right?

4. Probably 68-72-72-68 would be best for my needs, based on the info above, right?

5. How do the Marsblade FMT Ones compare with the Alkali R2s in case I decide to skate on the Bauers and have the MB put on the AR2s? 

6. For you other dinosaurs, do you think Lange boots will support roller frames? Because it seems like roller frames put a lot more stress on the soles than ice holders (because the ice-steel load on the boot is distributed much wider and with less torque than the load from roller frames even though the ice steel itself is much thinner) and the Lange soles seem to be much thinner and much less reinforced than even the soles on my 1997 Bauer inlines. @pettererlandsson I know you said we can ask you anything about MB, but you've probably never seen Langes, right?

Any other advice and/or suggestions (other than "just try them all out and see") would be welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by YesLanges

If you put two same-sized wheels on positions #2 and #3 of a hi-lo frame, the skate will tilt upwards or toe-up because the wheel in position #2 (1 being front and 4 being back) has to be smaller than #3 for the skate to be level. So before playing around with wheel sizes, keep in mind what wheel sizes the frame was designed for in order for the 4 wheels to all touch the ground simultaneously. Use that as the starting point before you start adding and subtracting milimeters from each wheel.

The konnix tachyons are like a 74a, good for players under 160 on sport court tiles. That said the alkali boot would be much nicer than the Bauer rs assuming it fits you.

To rocker a stock 80-80-76-76 Hilo, I would suggest going 76-80-76-72 that way the middle two wheels stay in the stock positions and your front and back wheel are raised 4mm.

Thanks, Fellas...appreciate the input. So if I go with 72-76-72-68, that would be a little slower but more maneuverable than 76-80-76-72, correct? 

In theory yes, you’ll have a slightly shorter wheel base. The smaller wheels will accelerate faster but have a slower top speed.

In my experience wheel size doesn’t make that big of a difference. I’ve skated on flat 72 chassis, rockered 72 on old Bauer h5 skates, and both 72-80 and 76-80 Hilo. The rocker setup improves mobility the most, less like being on skis as you mentioned. But only having 2 or 3 wheels in contact with the ground decreases stability too much for my liking.

I’m very interested in the marsblade r1 chassis so I have a set of those on pre-order, those should provide the solution to having some rocker while having all 4 wheels in contact with the ground.

1 hour ago, Isles12 said:

The smaller wheels will accelerate faster but have a slower top speed.

That's actually perfect for the area I'm working with.

But only having 2 or 3 wheels in contact with the ground decreases stability too much for my liking.

That's what I was sort of expecting, but I didn't notice much reduction in stability going from 76-76-76-72 to 72-76-76-72. 

Definitely more maneuverable. 

I’m very interested in the marsblade r1 chassis so I have a set of those on pre-order

Ditto. I was planning on using my old Bauers until the MB show up, but they're falling apart on me and I'm not that optimistic about the posted MB delivery dates, based on my experience with their ice holders, although maybe that was because it was a new, first-generation product and not one already in production and on the market. 

• Like 1