Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
MikeJames

what tape/grip youre using for your knob?

Ive went through way too many gloves and fixed way too many palms because the regular tape eats right through them. Just ordered a few grips that ive seen all over lately from rocketgrip.com

Has anyone tried those? The technology looks pretty sweet plus you can design it?? Excited to try them out, but wanted to see what others are using and what yalls opinions on different grips!

I used Tacki-mac when I started playing again because I have big hands.  I liked them but as soon as I went back to regular tape I liked it much better.  My son uses the Lizard skins so I may try that too but I need to be able to get it thin enough.  For me I don't play enough to worry about palms and can either get them repalmed if needed or just get new gloves.

Tacki Mac Pro Ribbed aka Kane grip. It's the thinnest version with the smallest knob and provides good feel, reduces glove wear and is much cheaper than other non-tape options. 

Edit: the rocketgrip looks exactly like sniper skin https://www.prohockeylife.com/collections/hockey-stick-grips/products/fox40-sniper-skin-hockey-stick-grips?variant=21193324789837

Edited by althoma1
  • Like 3

Howdy,

I used Tacki Mac before I switched to my current super gigantic pyramid knob in an effort to keep my wrist happy.  Nothing bad at all to say about Tacki-Mac (I used the Pro/Kane one primarily) and I wish I could still use them.

My solution to glove palm wear has been to buy lots of gloves.  🙂  Though I think that the gloves don't wear as badly with a bigger knob either, since there's more surface area and the tape squishes/moves around a little more (as compared to a normal / small / no knob).

Mark

I just use the Coban type grip tape.  It's thin, works well, cheap, and doesn't damage palms.  I found all of the other grips to be too thick.

My issue with other grips was them being too thick as well so i was pretty skeptical of the rocketgrips, but they're actually super thin and you can sorta customize the fit as well! Everyone is pretty particular about their sticks, but this is something i would recommend to try

I liked the Pro Kane tacki-mac a lot. Way thinner than the retail tacki-macs. Also the smaller knob if I recall.

Recently though I switched back to just making a small knob and covering it with stretch wrap. Thinnest option, great grip, no palm wear, and can be replaced quickly, easily, and cheaply. 

16 hours ago, MikeJames said:

Heres the link if anyone wanted to see what I'm talking about as it's not a popular grip i dont think lol

Have seen a couple PLL players and a few NHL players using them too which is pretty sweet. http://www.rocketgrip.com

Woo, it says guaranteed to get me to the next level!  The bar is low though 😄  actually looks like you might be able to get a pretty low profile with heat shrink, maybe I will give it a try.

Tacki-Mac all the way! And as much as I love them for saving palms, I love them more for the grip it gives you on the top hand. Personally I find I shoot better/stickhandle better as I get more control from the grip the Tacki-Mac has over cloth tape or grip tape or regular tape.

I switched all my sticks to Tacki Mac or tennis overgrip a few years ago and couldn't be happier. I use the Tacki Mac that looks like faux tape and I don't get why people say these things are too thick because this version is not thick at all. Tried the Kane version, but don't tape my sticks that way and like a little butt end. Tennis Overgrip is also great, dirt cheap, and while it does wear, it's cheap enough and easy enough to replace 2x a season.

KDUBqY1.jpg

The wear on my palms after a season is about the same as a single game using traditional tape

S0l4B7L.jpg

RocketGrips are like less than a millimeter, so if yall are looking for something supper thin that's something worth a try

Edited by MikeJames
misunderstood the previous comment

It's the glues in the tape that start the damage to the palms, when they mix with sweat the result is toxic.

So I use medical tape, buy it off amazon. If you want to take extra care of your palms use hypoallegenic tape but it costs more. Downside is you have to retape more often as it is softer than tennis tape etc but it will not eat your palms. When I switched myself and kids to medical tape, all the holes in gloves stopped and the stitching stopped falling apart.

8 hours ago, Vet88 said:

It's the glues in the tape that start the damage to the palms, when they mix with sweat the result is toxic.

So I use medical tape, buy it off amazon. If you want to take extra care of your palms use hypoallegenic tape but it costs more. Downside is you have to retape more often as it is softer than tennis tape etc but it will not eat your palms. When I switched myself and kids to medical tape, all the holes in gloves stopped and the stitching stopped falling apart.

Have never tried medical or hypoallegenic tape, only the rubbery grips and they seem to save my gloves from getting holes in them just as well!

I think Lizard-Skins are pretty great. If you're like me and don't need/want a super-long grip, you'll be able to get two sticks worth from one roll.

• Like 1

On 5/28/2020 at 4:07 PM, MyBoxersSayJoe said:

Switched to Lizard Skins.  You can get them in different thicknesses to achieve the feel you prefer.

On 5/30/2020 at 9:22 AM, JoeyJ0506 said:

I think Lizard-Skins are pretty great. If you're like me and don't need/want a super-long grip, you'll be able to get two sticks worth from one roll.

I've been using the L-Skins for about 3 years now. They are great for reducing/negating glove palm wear. Grip is nice and thin and doesn't ruin puck feel. 

Durability is an issue. Maybe it's just the way I hold the stick, I don't have much of a knob (almost none), but I find the tape over time stretches and your wrap pulls apart near the upper portion. I've tried different things to alleviate this, such as using a layer of regular tape to help the glue on the grip bond better as it's porous. Didn't do much if anything.  I also tried putting down some Gorilla spray glue before applying the L-Skin grip. This worked better but still over time the grip had the same issues. 

This season I started cutting the roll of tape in half. A full role is 36-38 inches, so I can get two grips out of one pack, works about to roughly two 4-inch grips, I like 6 for stick balance so I just add length using regular tape (my glove doesn't touch this area so no impact on palm wear). I can get roughly 3 months out of a grip, so overall I'm looking at $40 a year for grips, which isn't the end of the world. 

On 6/19/2020 at 8:20 AM, BruinDust said:

I've been using the L-Skins for about 3 years now. They are great for reducing/negating glove palm wear. Grip is nice and thin and doesn't ruin puck feel. 

Durability is an issue. Maybe it's just the way I hold the stick, I don't have much of a knob (almost none), but I find the tape over time stretches and your wrap pulls apart near the upper portion. I've tried different things to alleviate this, such as using a layer of regular tape to help the glue on the grip bond better as it's porous. Didn't do much if anything.  I also tried putting down some Gorilla spray glue before applying the L-Skin grip. This worked better but still over time the grip had the same issues. 

This season I started cutting the roll of tape in half. A full role is 36-38 inches, so I can get two grips out of one pack, works about to roughly two 4-inch grips, I like 6 for stick balance so I just add length using regular tape (my glove doesn't touch this area so no impact on palm wear). I can get roughly 3 months out of a grip, so overall I'm looking at $40 a year for grips, which isn't the end of the world. 

I always use a little electrical tape as a base at the top. I don't know if it actually helps, but I don't notice the tape Lizard Skin pulling away at the top that you have.

As far as longevity... Lately my Lizard Skinz have been outliving my sticks 😔

Lizard skin fan here. I love the way the lizard skin feels. Adds some cushion and just the right amount of tack. 

My grip is about 6 inches so I can't get away with splitting the grip on half and end up wasting quite a bit.. I might make them shorter to get two sticks out of one as they are a bit pricey.  Durability is decent but like others I also notice the edge part of the very top of the butt end starts to wear more.