Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
FlyChicaga

Returning to Retail from Pro Stock

Anyone here who was big into pro stock make the jump back to retail? I’ve made several purchases of pro stock gear, and didn’t like the fit or feel due to some of the player customizations. Whenever I am getting a sharpening at my LHS, I find myself tinkering in the retail gloves and helmets, and often ask myself why I don’t just grab that really nice feeling pair instead of scouring the online sites.

I’m thinking about just giving up the “cool factor” and sty of the pro stock gear and getting some of the newer model gloves/pants that I’m able to try on at my LHS. Anyone else given up on their pro stock hobby?

On 5/24/2020 at 9:52 AM, FlyChicaga said:

Anyone here who was big into pro stock make the jump back to retail? I’ve made several purchases of pro stock gear, and didn’t like the fit or feel due to some of the player customizations. Whenever I am getting a sharpening at my LHS, I find myself tinkering in the retail gloves and helmets, and often ask myself why I don’t just grab that really nice feeling pair instead of scouring the online sites.

I’m thinking about just giving up the “cool factor” and sty of the pro stock gear and getting some of the newer model gloves/pants that I’m able to try on at my LHS. Anyone else given up on their pro stock hobby?

I only have a pair of pro stock gloves and pro stock pants. Neither have an individual's customization. I actually found them to be cheaper and more protective than retail items of the same quality.

I’m only using pro stock sticks at this point because of the price differential for top of the line - I rarely if ever break sticks inside 30 days.

I’ll use pro stock gloves as well if a deal presents itself but otherwise I’m using all retail. Pro stock protective and skates are mostly way overbuilt for beer league. 

Edited by Cavs019

I go retail for everything except my sticks and gloves. Sticks, because I can get the high-end stuff for next to nothing (I break sticks often enough that the thought of a $300 one breaking on a poke check makes me want to puke. The gloves are a collecting hobby, if I was in retail it would probably be top-end Bauer models because they're, essentially, the same build-quality as the pro stuff. 

Skates, helmets, shins, elbows, etc... I just don't see the point of seeking out pro-return ESPECIALLY on skates that are customized to someone else's feet. 

I've always used retail for everything. It wasn't until I joined MSH till really understood the pro stock market. Since then, I've gotten a couple of pro stock sticks but that's it. I don't really change out any other piece of equipment as frequently as I do sticks.