Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Jbear

Adding Padding...catchy...ain't it?

Ok...during this hiatus there hasn't been much to do but train and buy stuff (both of which I dig).

Onwards...I've picked up a couple of girdles...a SuperTacks and a QRE ($40...had to try it)...just to give them a shot.  Both seem pretty cool...pretty different...both have what I consider to be a major shortcoming...no padding for for the butt.  They both have tail padding (decent...could be better); however, on the actual glutes...these ridiculously thin perforated foam pieces that not only do nothing but also get wrinkled up and folded within their compartments. Useless!  If you're a physical player...and smaller (I am...5'9" 165), you end up trying to make plays and inevitably...you land on your butt cheek...hard!  There's nothing to protect you in either of these girdles.  My pants are a bit better albeit not like my 70's Cooper pros.  Granted...they were heavier and more significantly...never dried! Heck, they're probably still wet from the 70's🤣

Anyway...I am thinking of a homemade pro-stock treatment, adding my own padding to the compartments and sewing them back up.  Nothing huge and bulky,  but certainly something more protective on impact.  Seems like a shaped insert made of CCM's D30 would be perfect, but...is there a commercially available equivalent out there?  Any other recommendations?

I've looked a snowboarding shorts as a possibility,  but finding a pair that doesn't add bulk is the challenge.   I only need butt protection (and maybe additional tailbone).  I'm all ears and currently made of time👍

Hope you are all staying safe! 

Edited by Jbear

Some guys wearing baseball sliding shorts underneath their pants for added protection but I don't know of anyone adding more to the pants or girdle (I'm sure someone has).  I remember back to the early 90's when I started playing, even the heaviest of heaviest pants (the old Tackla's that took 2 years to break in) had minimal padding on the actual glutes, just a large tailbone pad and some thin foam on the rest of the glutes.

There typically isn't much padding located over the actual glutes as that area is "naturally padded" (some of us more or less than others). There are several areas of most pants that have minimal to no padding. This is due to trying to keep the protection mobil, and not stiff with excessive padding that will inhibit movement.  I've added padding to the actual tailbone area, as falling unexpedly on the tailbone can be painful. Honestly, that should absorb most of the impact falling backwards. Landing off to the sides I would think the hip pads will take the hit there.   I would usually do what you propose- cutting a seam and inserting more/new padding and resewing shut.  You can get sheets of various foams like Poron on amazon.  As a rule I always gut any worn out gear for padding that could be used down the road.    

Appreciate the responses!  Turns out...D3o is available, so...found a used motorcycle back pad for $20 that's 16"x10.5"x1/4".  I'll cut small pads from that and insert them as needed.  Will let you know how that works. 

• Like 1

I've never found pants that don't have that annoying gap in between the pads exposing your hip socket. So I just slip a circular piece of thin supplemental padding under compression shorts to keep them exactly where they need to be to fill that gap. You can do the same thing with a supplemental tailbone pad. 

Appreciate your response. I am trying that.  I know it sounds strange...why is this dude buying all of these girdles and pants. If you read some of my other posts...you know the background.. if not...

After a lifetime of playing from jr.high-college (just D3...nothing amazing) coaching and men's league...my hips were gone. I was out for about 15 years. Finally had a 2x hip replacement in 2018 and I am playing and coaching again...6x week (pre-Covid).  I'm finally playing at a pretty high level again,  and I want to last. Thus...the quest for the perfect gear🥅🏒🇨🇦👍😎

• Like 1

In that case, I'd go a step further. Cut out the 2 padded hip caps (including the plastic) from of an old pair of pants and sew them permanently into pockets created in something like the Shock Doc shorts (the tight-fitting ones with the cup and velcro sock tabs) and wear those under your pants. That's what I wear for reffing and for inline skating. If I had my hip done, I'd wear that under my pants anytime I played. You can use just about any material to create pad pockets and if they're too tight to sew them into the inside, just put the pockets right on the outside.

Edited by YesLanges

I'm really pretty solid with regard to the robustness of the hip pads in the pants and girdles (but I like your idea...I'll try that too)...I'm just looking to eliminate the spots with zero-crappy padding.  I've taken some big falls and hits (no-check but...it happens...it's actually one of the things I missed the most), and it's been no big deal...except for the couple of times landing where there's nothing in the way of protection. That's what I am trying to eliminate.  I'm fairly confident that cutting this D3o motorcycle back pad into shaped inserts is going to be a perfect solution. If there's leftover...I'll reinforce the tailbone pad.  

I've also acquired various McDavid padded shorts, so...a lot of fun experimenting coming up...hopefully soon! 

One thing that's so different about hockey now is the insane number of choices in gear!  Last time I was active...One pro skate from Bauer (Comp 5000),  one from CCM (952 Tacks?), and the occasional Graf. Also...no Internet...not like this!  

Edited by Jbear

I'm also trying to keep my hips safe, and have found that using figure skater "kidney bean" shaped 1/2 inch thick foam crash pads are the best.  I wear them under my un-padded Reebok stretch shorts.  They stay in place and work very well. 

And just as an entertaining aside...I coached 4x1.5 hour practices on Sunday (the 4 age groups)...caught edges and fell hard twice...no pads...just a helmet🤕🤣  The only aftereffects...whiplash from my head hitting the ice.  Man...in the 90's...we didn't wear helmets for practice 😳!

Probably gonna wear padded shorts until I shake this rust off.

On 5/27/2020 at 9:28 AM, Jbear said:

Ok...during this hiatus there hasn't been much to do but train and buy stuff (both of which I dig).

Onwards...I've picked up a couple of girdles...a SuperTacks and a QRE ($40...had to try it)...just to give them a shot.  Both seem pretty cool...pretty different...both have what I consider to be a major shortcoming...no padding for for the butt.  They both have tail padding (decent...could be better); however, on the actual glutes...these ridiculously thin perforated foam pieces that not only do nothing but also get wrinkled up and folded within their compartments. Useless!  If you're a physical player...and smaller (I am...5'9" 165), you end up trying to make plays and inevitably...you land on your butt cheek...hard!  There's nothing to protect you in either of these girdles.  My pants are a bit better albeit not like my 70's Cooper pros.  Granted...they were heavier and more significantly...never dried! Heck, they're probably still wet from the 70's🤣

Anyway...I am thinking of a homemade pro-stock treatment, adding my own padding to the compartments and sewing them back up.  Nothing huge and bulky,  but certainly something more protective on impact.  Seems like a shaped insert made of CCM's D30 would be perfect, but...is there a commercially available equivalent out there?  Any other recommendations?

I've looked a snowboarding shorts as a possibility,  but finding a pair that doesn't add bulk is the challenge.   I only need butt protection (and maybe additional tailbone).  I'm all ears and currently made of time👍

Hope you are all staying safe! 

I caught an edge and landed hard on my left glute and yes, I felt it. Had a deep bruise there for awhile. Considered switching to the Bauer Supreme girdle as it seems to have a lot more padding there but just figured I can live with it when I land hard on the glute next time. I do like your idea of supplementing some padding in there though. 

8 hours ago, Cosmic said:

I caught an edge and landed hard on my left glute and yes, I felt it. Had a deep bruise there for awhile. Considered switching to the Bauer Supreme girdle as it seems to have a lot more padding there but just figured I can live with it when I land hard on the glute next time. I do like your idea of supplementing some padding in there though. 

I wear Xion d3o boxer shorts beneath my Bauer 1s Shorts for added protection. Xion do other shorts with additional pads too. Note that d3o is not owned by CCM, they buy it in from the English company that makes them, and pads can be bought on ebay. They’re at most 1 cm thick and absorb a lot of impact. They should not be put in the washing machine, so best insert each one into a pocket with a velcro or elasticated seal and remove when washing the garment. G-form make padded shorts too, I’ve not tried them. It’s a similar technology and used by Bauer, but from what I’ve seen it’s not as impact absorbant as d3o. There is POC as well, possibly as good as d3o or maybe better.

On 5/30/2020 at 11:04 AM, Jbear said:

Appreciate your response. I am trying that.  I know it sounds strange...why is this dude buying all of these girdles and pants. If you read some of my other posts...you know the background.. if not...

After a lifetime of playing from jr.high-college (just D3...nothing amazing) coaching and men's league...my hips were gone. I was out for about 15 years. Finally had a 2x hip replacement in 2018 and I am playing and coaching again...6x week (pre-Covid).  I'm finally playing at a pretty high level again,  and I want to last. Thus...the quest for the perfect gear🥅🏒🇨🇦👍😎

Just curious, regarding your hip replacement surgery, how long after the surgery were you able to skate again? Or how long did your doctor or physical therapist recommend before going back on the ice?

I had the surgery 6/13/18...walking with walker that day...stayed overnight cuz I had both at the same time.

PT started the day after I came home.  I hit PT like I was trying out for the Olympics because I knew that would be the key to how far back I could make it. Three weeks later walking without assistance. September I ran for the first time. I could have started skating then, but to be honest...I was nervous about how horrible I would be. That was just silly. As my school year ended...I started skating again, so...May 2019.  I had to re-learn everything, but it was worth every ounce of sweat.  Now I'm playing on two teams, have AAA invitations, get banged around and get up, and I'm coaching at two rinks.  I  hadn't skated for about 15 years and for the last five I couldn't walk, sleep, or stand...now 6x week at the rink.  This has been life-changing gift!

I thought I was too far gone to even think about a normal life.  Anyone considering doing it...I am more than happy to talk to you!  

• Like 2