Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
menelikia

Mission He950 wheels

Hi all, 

New here, and just picking hockey back up again after a nearly decade-long hiatus... 

I have an old pair of Mission he950s and ordered some Labeda Asphalt wheels, assuming the MG hi-lo chassis was 76-76-80-80. Turns out the old Mission setup was 72-72-80-80, so the 76s don't fit up front and the 80s really rub against the chassis in the rear (I've read threads on ModSquad where it was recommended to file down for space, but fear doing that as I'm a heavier skater).

My question: is there any harm running a 72-72-76-76 setup? Otherwise, I'll go ahead and file down the chassis to fit the 80s. 

Thanks for any advice, and all feedback is most welcome!

You can run 68mm/76mm wheels, but the chassis is designed to run the wheels with an 8mm differential, so that's the ideal way to run the Hi-Lo setup. 72/76 will work, but it's not ideal. it will have you at a flatter pitch than an 8mm difference. Personally, I just stick with the 72/80. 

About the rubbing, what part of the wheel is hitting the chassis? Side or the taper?

Thanks! Pics are linked below. The 80mm rubs up against the center bracket, not to the degree that the wheel won't spin, but it's pretty, pretty tight. I also just noticed there is quite a bit of wiggle room between the bearing and the axle... guess I'll order some bearing spacers.

https://ibb.co/dJJSm1c

https://ibb.co/gwBMq3x

https://ibb.co/3NhBzJq

Note: the wheel you see is a 76mm (have that in there now as the fit is better).

Edited by menelikia

That's weird. I literally just ripped the chassis off an old pair of 750s and did not see anything like that. If you don't have spacers then that's probably why though. It could be that the wheels are not tight to the axel so they're able to move up and around and make contact with the support brackets. Id get some spacers and if it doesn't go away then you can either just ride the 72/80 until they wear down enough to clear, or you can do the 68/76, which will be slower but more maneuverable. 

After a second look, I think you're completely right: my absent-mindedness on spacers seems to be the problem. Without them, the bearing can jiggle just enough on the axle to rub the chassis, but with spacers it's OK (albeit a hair away!). Once the wheel wears down after a skate or two, all should be good, so I'll run 72/80. Thanks!

Glad to hear. I'm surprised your 950s are still alive, mine didn't even make it through one summer and my 750s turned to mush in about 3 months. I've never had skates go so soft so quickly like the 05 missions. Are yours still stiff at all?

My 950s never got a ton of gameplay use... I had gotten them on clearance way back when and used them mostly for ball hockey pick-up games at a local outdoor rink. They don't fit quite right (boot is too clunky, EE width, which I really don't need) and I have been getting killer foot cramps the last few days skating around in them. I really hate the lace system too...

10 years wiser, I would have prob skipped over them, but here I am, and they are the only skates I own.. Was going to bite the bullet and grab a pair of Inhaler FZ-5s or FZ-3s, but they are sold out almost everywhere online... suggestions welcome!

The foot cramps are probably the result of the skates being too wide for you and then compensating by cranking down the laces too hard. Either that or the arch is too high. Old missions had a really high arch, if you have flatter feet that could do it, otherwise it's the lacing.

Also ten-twenty years wiser, I had no business in those old missions and my life changed when I got my first pair of tours. I still use 02 type ms because when I got back into it that's just what I had in the house, but  I really need to bake and punch a couple spots. It's crazy to think back about the whole craze of buying missions and then I think about how many years I played hockey on skates that were too narrow just because of the hype. 

Wish I could help with a rec, but I've been out of the roller gear loop for too long now. I'd probably just look on eBay and sideline swap.