Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
MyBoxersSayJoe

What hockey stuff have you done during quarentine?

On 6/6/2020 at 9:15 AM, dkmiller3356 said:

I find rollerblade skating impossible....   I constantly feel like I'm gonna die.

I'd liken it to being on a 15' radius lol.  My ice skates are a quad profile.

Lot of roller pickup on a handball court near me. Lot of buying gear and selling old gear. Got rid of a ton of old roller skates at the beginning of the shut down. Nice to clear up some space. 

We're strongly considering moving soon, so I looked into leagues and rinks where we're planning to move

On 6/10/2020 at 12:20 PM, MyBoxersSayJoe said:

I'd liken it to being on a 15' radius lol.  My ice skates are a quad profile.

I learned hockey outside on roller blades, and only played on asphalt with a ball from middle school until intramurals in college. Before quarantine, I hadn’t skated outside in 12 years, and hadn’t purchased outdoors wheels in 15. Was fun to set up bearing and wheels again!

I used to be SUPER comfortable on roller blades, and I’m kinda back, but haven’t regained stopping. I used to be able to more or less “hockey stop” on roller blades or do that power slide. Now, I just do hard turns and pray to break speed. 

I took a page from Vet88 and have been skating with my laces undone. Not sure if it will translate to ice at all. We’ll see!

• Like 3

On 7/14/2020 at 7:16 PM, start_today said:

I took a page from Vet88 and have been skating with my laces undone. Not sure if it will translate to ice at all. We’ll see!

I wouldn't do that if you're doing anything that might involved you losing your balance. That's the easiest way to break an ankle, even if you have strong ankles like most of us probably do, if you roll your ankle like that it's not like a sneaker, you're rolling from a few inches up, off of a narrow wheel base and your ankle will crunch. If you're going slow or goofing off it's one thing, but even then I'd be very cautious. 

On 7/30/2020 at 2:20 AM, Miller55 said:

I wouldn't do that if you're doing anything that might involved you losing your balance. That's the easiest way to break an ankle, even if you have strong ankles like most of us probably do, if you roll your ankle like that it's not like a sneaker, you're rolling from a few inches up, off of a narrow wheel base and your ankle will crunch. If you're going slow or goofing off it's one thing, but even then I'd be very cautious. 

For a full blown 2 foot plant roller stop, I'd agree. Until one has learnt to skate laces untied there is a fair degree of risk involved with this stop. However inline T stops, if executed the normal way one stops, are generally safe. The reason for this is because in a T stop you roll the ankle inwards a little more (as compared to ice), this allows the friction of the wheel to break easier. It is very hard to pitch over when you are pronating into the stop. As to anything else, even if you fall it is generally very safe. I've caught an outside edge a number of times, twice it was on high speed film as part of the research project and we were able to analyse what sheer forces were put thru the ankle. The thing about going laces untied is it allows the boot to rotate on the foot, so when you catch an edge the boot rolls around the foot. The next event is the foot reacts to the pressure and begins to fold in the direction of the caught edge. Because the foot isn't locked in the boot, this sheer force then travels obliquely into the knee which will fold in the direction of the ankle. by this time the hip is reacting and rotating with the leg, basically everything folds gracefully under the body. The fall may look like crap but the damage is more a pride issue as opposed to anything physical. Sure, hammer anything hard enough and it will break, I've seen a lot of broken legs that were locked into a boot, I have yet to see or hear of anyone who has trained to skate laces untied breaking anything. I've seen some close calls, kids who think they can skate better than they actually can. If you stay within your limits and progressively advance as your skills advance, it is a safe way to train.

And lastly, it's not strong ankles, this is a misnomer. It's your biomechanical alignment over the skate blade that is the critical issue, if it is correct the forces of the stop / turn etc are travelling directly thru the middle of the ankle / leg. The bones are taking most of the generated force, the muscles are playing a supporting role. This is what skating laces untied teaches you, correct alignment over the skate blade / chassis. The more you train, the better your alignment is, the less you are at risk.

Edited by Vet88
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Vet88 said:

And lastly, it's not strong ankles, this is a misnomer. It's your biomechanical alignment over the skate blade that is the critical issue, if it is correct the forces of the stop / turn etc are travelling directly thru the middle of the ankle / leg. The bones are taking most of the generated force, the muscles are playing a supporting role. This is what skating laces untied teaches you, correct alignment over the skate blade / chassis. The more you train, the better your alignment is, the less you are at risk.

Honestly, this is one of the things you will learn before you get around the ice once, just how aligned you are over your skate and likely, how you may be aligned differently over each skate.  The coordination between every muscle and structure from the bottom of the foot to the hips really starts to get magnified.

• Thanks 1

I've been skating on the deck behind my building, but today was the first time I've been able to shoot the puck at all, for obvious reasons. Since I can't risk missing a 6x4 net, I figured this 10x7 golf net would be better that not shooting at all. My rink has re-opened only for sticks & pucks and it's $35 for 1:15 for the once-a-week adults-only sessions...they have 90-min sessions for $45, but I can't stand being out there with kids. I like the Marsblades a lot better than my old frames, but the transition back to ice was still very awkward...couldn't do a fuckin' thing for the first 30 minutes back on ice. Those are 35 pool noodles strung together with a rope and some caribeners to protect the cars under the deck...got a case of 50 on eBay for like $50...they take me about 5 minutes to set up and about twice as long to break down and tie up in a big bundle. 

https://youtu.be/u_CZR1nwHL4

https://youtu.be/-TAuYBUgEGo

Edited by YesLanges