Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
hockeydad3

Best outdoor wheels?

Which outdoor wheels do you like most for unpainted concrete and smooth asphalt (outdoor hockey rinks in summer)?

I´m 96kg and used Hyper Pro 150 83a(too slow), labeda asphalt 85a 4x80mm, they are fast and have a great wear resistance but lost the grip after a month and some weeks in the next season. Now I´m on prime centurio 82a/84a, bought at the end of last season. Our season (no locker room, no contact, 1,5m distance, max. 20 people and outdoor) will start in one week. If I´m not lucky with the centurios, which wheels should I try?

I could get these wheels:

Konixx Rocket 2x

Revision Asphalt Pro

RinkRat Trickster x 84a

Base Sudden Death 84a

Hyper Pro 250 84a

Labeda Asphalt 83a

Any experiences or suggestions?

I´m searching for the perfect mix of speed and grip, not the cheapest or most durable wheels. 😉

Edited by hockeydad3

In my experience, Labeda asphalt are the best. If you got a month plus out of those that's pretty good. I weigh about 200lbs and I'm happy to get a month out of outdoor wheels. I have tricksters coming too, and they better be good because they're double the price of everything else

The Labeda Asphalt 85A are still one of the best outdoor wheels, and will be one of the fastest on the list.

If you did want a bit more grip, try the Labeda Asphalts 83a. Another wheel to consider if available is the Revision Clinger, enjoyed using that and heard lots of others enjoy playing on it.

Finally I could order some RinkRat Trickster X 84a dual pour wheels. 

My first impression is that they are amazing. They are faster than my used Labedas, and have more grip and are more agile than the centurion 82a-84a-84a-82a setup. They have the best rebound of the tested wheels. They are too new to talk about the durability yet. 

Edited by hockeydad3

I should hope they're good, they're double the price. If I played anything competitive on an outdoor rink I'd probably try them, but for pickup I can't see spending that money. Glad you like them though

Somehow I´m in a competition. I´m a late beginner with poor athletic prerequisites, and I´m having fun together with young sportive people and middle agers with dozens of years of hockey experience. So I am fine with anything that just keeps me on the wheels for ten minutes longer. And it's still a workout for me. 

The difference between those wheels is amazing to me. Skating around the block on bad sidewalks is even more astonishing because the cushoning of the wheels is incredible. Now i understand why speed skaters pay horrendous prices for dual pour wheels.

• Like 1

Yeah, nothing wrong with spending the money if you have it. I've got 3 little kids. If you're looking for comfort, sprungs have been a game changer for me. The suspension absorbs a ton of the impact. Even skating on shredded sidewalk I had almost no chatter at all. 

• Like 2

Back in the day the og rink rat world cups/hotshot x grip were a decent premium outdoor wheel.

Theyve been rereleased as the MPC branded “Freestyle” dual pour.

Cost more but highly recommended.

• Like 1

Rink Rat and Mpc are different brands of the same manufacturer(same factory address). Mpc Freestyle and Rink Rat Trickster have an identical look, just a different colour. Trickster should be 84a and Freestyle is 84a-86a according to resellers information. 

• Like 1

On 7/26/2020 at 7:44 PM, hockeydad3 said:

Rink Rat and Mpc are different brands of the same manufacturer(same factory address). Mpc Freestyle and Rink Rat Trickster have an identical look, just a different colour. Trickster should be 84a and Freestyle is 84a-86a according to resellers information. 

On 7/27/2020 at 12:54 AM, Miller55 said:

Yup, they are the same wheel, very unique dual pour outdoor wheel. I can imagine this on the old vforms for some beach hockey

Just to be clear hockeydad3 you are referring to the single pour version wheel.

My post is in reference to the dual pour wheel.

MPC have released both versions as Freestyle.

The dual pour wheel has nothing to do with the trickster.

Miller55 is correct, as I previously mentioned it is the OG World Cup/Hot shot x rebranded .

Edited by Wicked3Aussie

Rink Rat Trickster and MPC Freestyle single and dual pour have the same look. They have different colours, a different print on them and they are manufactured at the same place.

http://www.online-skating.com/articles-4558-wheel-test-report-of-the-mpc-freestyle-x-firm-72-and-76mm.html

I couldn´t compare the wheels and MPC didn´t answer my request for the difference between the wheels.

6 hours ago, hockeydad3 said:

Rink Rat Trickster and MPC Freestyle single and dual pour have the same look. They have different colours, a different print on them and they are manufactured at the same place.

http://www.online-skating.com/articles-4558-wheel-test-report-of-the-mpc-freestyle-x-firm-72-and-76mm.html

I couldn´t compare the wheels and MPC didn´t answer my request for the difference between the wheels.

Similar but not the same.

Dual pour has an M-tech ring, single pour does not and colour is slightly different.

Single is the trickster rebranded and the dual is the old 84a rebranded.

Theyre being marketed as a slalom wheel in Europe.

15 hours ago, Wicked3Aussie said:

Similar but not the same.

Dual pour has an M-tech ring, single pour does not and colour is slightly different.

Single is the trickster rebranded and the dual is the old 84a rebranded.

Theyre being marketed as a slalom wheel in Europe.

Does a slalom wheel have the same elliptical profile? Not familiar with the sport, seems like a very European thing honestly

19 hours ago, hockeydad3 said:

Rink Rat answered my request:

The Trickster is a hybrid between single and dual pour. Two different polyurethanes are combined in a single pour process.

Yeah it’s a single pour wheel with a premier quality urethane.

Theyre not too bad but not my first choice, I have the 84a single pours as well and only like them on asphalt.

Edited by Wicked3Aussie

19 hours ago, Miller55 said:

Does a slalom wheel have the same elliptical profile? Not familiar with the sport, seems like a very European thing honestly

I would assume so.

profile can be dependant on company as well, labeda use a different profile in their wheels compared to rink rat for example.

I can confirm that other than the sick colour job on the dual pours they’re virtually Identical to the old school world cup(I still have a couple brand new in my draw that I can use for comparison) and every other dual pour rink rat hockey wheel.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Wicked3Aussie said:

Yeah it’s a single pour wheel with a premier quality urethane.

For me it sounds like the trickster wheels are single pour but dual density. Have to wait till they are worn down before i can cut one into two pieces.

And finally both patent numbers printed on the wheels are for patents for multi durometer wheels (U.S. Pat. No. 6,036,278; U.S. Pat. No. 6,227,622B1).

Edited by hockeydad3

Reviving this post from the dead as the city has finally taken the locks off the outdoor rink and once vaccinated I'd like to begin playing more. I've used Labeda Asphalt (orange up front and white in the back) for years on asphalt before moving to MPC Freestyle during quarantine. I skated both sets of wheels on the smooth concrete outdoor surface, which is a surface I have never really played on before, and they all slide out from under me when making tight turns/hard cuts. Since those hardnesses are basically 83a, 84a, and 85a, I am looking to move to something slightly softer for added grip. Can't seem to find much info on the Konixx Tachyon, wasn't sure if the Konixx Pure +1 would be too soft for concrete, also considered Rink Rat Trickster XX or Labeda Grippers. 

I'm around 190lbs and at this point care more about grip than top end speed. Recommendations? 

Edited by Westside

Labeda gripper yellow are 80a and would probably work well for you. Konixx Pure +1 is officially 76a. Smooth concrete outdoor rinks tend to be super dusty usually, which plays a big part in the sliding out. Ime there is no wheel that prevents that. We used to rub the wheels down with alcohol which helps them grip a bit, but you have to do it every few shifts really.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Miller55 said:

Labeda gripper yellow are 80a and would probably work well for you. Konixx Pure +1 is officially 76a. Smooth concrete outdoor rinks tend to be super dusty usually, which plays a big part in the sliding out. Ime there is no wheel that prevents that. We used to rub the wheels down with alcohol which helps them grip a bit, but you have to do it every few shifts really.

ha, I remember using that Sonic grip juice spray like crazy on wheels trying to get better grip on smooth concrete, I'm not sure if it helped or not.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Westside said:

Reviving this post from the dead as the city has finally taken the locks off the outdoor rink and once vaccinated I'd like to begin playing more. I've used Labeda Asphalt (orange up front and white in the back) for years on asphalt before moving to MPC Freestyle during quarantine. I skated both sets of wheels on the smooth concrete outdoor surface, which is a surface I have never really played on before, and they all slide out from under me when making tight turns/hard cuts. Since those hardnesses are basically 83a, 84a, and 85a, I am looking to move to something slightly softer for added grip. Can't seem to find much info on the Konixx Tachyon, wasn't sure if the Konixx Pure +1 would be too soft for concrete, also considered Rink Rat Trickster XX or Labeda Grippers. 

I'm around 190lbs and at this point care more about grip than top end speed. Recommendations? 

I second the Medium/Yellow 80a Labeda Gripper recommendation. I haven't used them myself, but know several people that swear by them for use on smooth concrete.

Pre-pandemic I basically only played organized hockey on Sport Court and paid for high end wheels meant for that surface, but just used whatever was cheapest for the odd outdoor skate or to officiate on smooth cement. So I don't have personal experience with the Grippers, but the guys who have recommended them have played in a league with smooth cement for years and say that they've tried everything from expensive dual pour sport court wheels to cheap rec wheels and the wheel that provides the best performance for them on that surface is the Yellow Grippers. 

Looks like I have my answer. Thanks guys! I’ll try and pick some up this weekend. 

Miller, good point about the dust. That could very well be

2 hours ago, the_game said:

ha, I remember using that Sonic grip juice spray like crazy on wheels trying to get better grip on smooth concrete, I'm not sure if it helped or not.

Lol we were way too poor for gimmicks back then. Rubbing alcohol ftw.

Btw, on topic for this thread, in update from my last post for labeda asphalts, I've been able to try tricksters 84a and they're pretty good but not really worth the extra guap, and also Konixx rockets 2x or whatever they're called, and they're also great, little bit more rebound than the asphalt, similar durability, I prefer the color too lol. Never tried revision asphalt but heard good things about them