Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
hockeydad3

Best outdoor wheels?

On 3/17/2021 at 1:04 AM, Westside said:

Reviving this post from the dead as the city has finally taken the locks off the outdoor rink and once vaccinated I'd like to begin playing more. I've used Labeda Asphalt (orange up front and white in the back) for years on asphalt before moving to MPC Freestyle during quarantine. I skated both sets of wheels on the smooth concrete outdoor surface, which is a surface I have never really played on before, and they all slide out from under me when making tight turns/hard cuts. Since those hardnesses are basically 83a, 84a, and 85a, I am looking to move to something slightly softer for added grip. Can't seem to find much info on the Konixx Tachyon, wasn't sure if the Konixx Pure +1 would be too soft for concrete, also considered Rink Rat Trickster XX or Labeda Grippers. 

I'm around 190lbs and at this point care more about grip than top end speed. Recommendations? 

Can it be a topic of wear and aging of the wheels? Was the grip, ok when the wheels were new? How long is the first use of the Wheels back and did you use them in a warm environment? Did they loose their profile and did their diameter decrease significantly?

26 minutes ago, hockeydad3 said:

Can it be a topic of wear and aging of the wheels? Was the grip, ok when the wheels were new? How long is the first use of the Wheels back and did you use them in a warm environment? Did they loose their profile and did their diameter decrease significantly?

I’ve always played on rough asphalt so I can’t comment on smooth concrete surface previously. The first set of wheels were my Labeda Asphalts that I use on, uh, asphalt. They weren’t brand new but weren’t worn down a crazy amount either. Age-wise they were only a few months old. The MPC Freestyle wheels’ first roll was on this smooth concrete so they were brand new. 

I ordered a set of yellow grippers online since no where nearby had both sizes in stock. I hope to have here this weekend so I can try them out Sunday or Monday and see how those perform 

Grippers came in and I was able to test them out on the rink today. They hold true to their name and grip awesome! That said, the rink was also completely clean of any debris which may have contributed to some of the slide outs before. Either way, thank you guys for the recommendation. Think I found wheels for smooth concrete 

• Like 4