Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
caveman27

2020 CCM Axis

On 6/13/2020 at 2:12 AM, IPv6Freely said:

Beginning of CCM finally putting out good gear. Lefevre being gone will let them innovate instead of doing the same old tired designs year after year.

I'm not a fan of the CCM Axis graphics. But Premier II and Eflex 4 graphics were getting old.

Their chest protectors and pants weren't made/designed by LeFevere, so those pieces aren't affected by LeFevre going away. I had a Koho chestie years ago with JDP elbow caps. Not sure if they are better without them though.

On 6/22/2020 at 10:50 AM, caveman27 said:

I'm not a fan of the CCM Axis graphics. But Premier II and Eflex 4 graphics were getting old.

Their chest protectors and pants weren't made/designed by LeFevere, so those pieces aren't affected by LeFevre going away. I had a Koho chestie years ago with JDP elbow caps. Not sure if they are better without them though.

I don't like the Axis graphics either. 

On 6/23/2020 at 2:56 PM, IPv6Freely said:

I don't like the Axis graphics either. 

The graphic is only so-so, but the performance is top notch!  I'm super impressed with my Axis pads.  After only a few skates I'm already convinced they'll be my primary setup for the coming year (and maybe beyond) and will relegate my G5's to backup status. 

• Like 1

Hardly post-Lefevre.  The 20.1 is a virtually identical pad, indicating that they at least began the design journey together.  Given that CCM is known to work 2-3 years ahead it's really no surprise that they both took the same design and put their own tweak on it.

Personally I think the relationship with the Lefebvres ending works out fairly well for both parties.   CCM is no longer stuck fighting with their gear designer when they want to innovate.  They've been stuck just putting out warmed over gear year after year, despite having some really good R&D going on.   The Lefebvre family gets to cash in on the work they did for CCM and continue to have a big name/money partner as opposed to trying to find the resources to navigate the world of goalie gear as an oddly sized entity (bigger than Passau/Kenesky but not as big as Bauer, CCM, etc...).  The real winner is True, who was able to move in and obtain a ready made production line AND client base.

It will be fascinating over the next 3-5 years to watch True and CCM products diverge.  One slight difference I've already seen between 20.1 and Axis is that the Lefevre 590 glove I had the chance to try on felt EXACTLY like the CCM 590 I had last year.  The Axis 590 is a better feeling glove with a slightly better closure and it feels like CCM has tweaked where it sits on your hand just a bit.  To me it's and improvement, but hardcore 590 guys may feel differently (I moved over to 600 for my Axis set).  12.2 and EF5 pads are obviously showing differentiation between the lines and I'm guessing that by the time we get to 12.3/EF6 there will be no more commonality between them than you'd find between those pads and the Vaughn V11 or Brians Genetik VI (or whatever they're called by the time we get 3 years down the road). 

Edited by puckstopper
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, puckstopper said:

Hardly post-Lefevre.  The 20.1 is a virtually identical pad, indicating that they at least began the design journey together.  Given that CCM is known to work 2-3 years ahead it's really no surprise that they both took the same design and put their own tweak on it.

Personally I think the relationship with the Lefebvres ending works out fairly well for both parties.   CCM is no longer stuck fighting with their gear designer when they want to innovate.  They've been stuck just putting out warmed over gear year after year, despite having some really good R&D going on.   The Lefebvre family gets to cash in on the work they did for CCM and continue to have a big name/money partner as opposed to trying to find the resources to navigate the world of goalie gear as an oddly sized entity (bigger than Passau/Kenesky but not as big as Bauer, CCM, etc...).  The real winner is True, who was able to move in and obtain a ready made production line AND client base.

It will be fascinating over the next 3-5 years to watch True and CCM products diverge.  One slight difference I've already seen between 20.1 and Axis is that the Lefevre 590 glove I had the chance to try on felt EXACTLY like the CCM 590 I had last year.  The Axis 590 is a better feeling glove with a slightly better closure and it feels like CCM has tweaked where it sits on your hand just a bit.  To me it's and improvement, but hardcore 590 guys may feel differently (I moved over to 600 for my Axis set).  12.2 and EF5 pads are obviously showing differentiation between the lines and I'm guessing that by the time we get to 12.3/EF6 there will be no more commonality between them than you'd find between those pads and the Vaughn V11 or Brians Genetik VI (or whatever they're called by the time we get 3 years down the road). 

Nailed it. The sad part is CCM totally screwed up the 580 tees while Lefevre has it down perfectly.

Agreed with everything above. I don't really know nuances like you guys do though, I've never worn Reebok or CCM, and never will wear CCM or Lefevre so I'm pretty ignorant to their whole ecosystem. There was once a time when I wanted to be in the know for everything goalie related but now I don't really care about any of it. The toxic environments around goalie gear is such a sharp contrast to everything I've experienced on MSH for the most part. 

23 hours ago, Hills said:

Nailed it. The sad part is CCM totally screwed up the 580 tees while Lefevre has it down perfectly.

Oddly, the CCM 590 is WAY better than the Lefevre.  I haven't seen a Lefevre 600 to compare, but I like how it feels on my Axis set as opposed to the EF4 600 I tried on.

33 minutes ago, puckstopper said:

Oddly, the CCM 590 is WAY better than the Lefevre.  I haven't seen a Lefevre 600 to compare, but I like how it feels on my Axis set as opposed to the EF4 600 I tried on.

You have a 600 Axis?

22 hours ago, Hills said:

You have a 600 Axis?

Yes sir.  I ordered my EF4 set with a 590 break and wish I'd kept it, because I couldn't catch COVID (or anything else) with that glove.  I knew I hated the 580 from previous experience so 600 was the only option left to try.  Even though the 600 break feels a little weird to break in it's way easier to catch with.  Still not as good as a Vaughn T5500 or VE8 2 piece, but the best glove I've had outside those 2.   

Edited by puckstopper

And there is 0 closure issues? The 600 I had in the past with CCM all had problems with the finger area hitting the heel of the palm. You would basically have to crush the finger area down with a stick.

Hard to say ZERO issues as I don't have the glove fully broken in but it does seem BETTER than my EF4 590.  I'd say poor glove closure when new has always been my biggest beef with CCM.  Brian's, Bauer, Vaughn and Warrior (in that order) are all better out of the box that CCM.  I've felt Brian's and Bauer gloves that I literally would have worn straight from the store to a game without hesitating.  Back to CCM:  I even went so far as to order this glove without D30, as I felt it inhibited the closure of my 590 glove.   Having seen the stock AXIS 590 it appears that was an unnecessary precaution as they've reduced the size of the D30 insert slightly around the break of the glove to solve that issue.  Time will tell on whether this will break in better than the 590 did.