Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
DarkStar50

When the rink reopens are you going to skate immediately?

Here in metro NYC a few of the rinks are getting ready to reopen. Sport-O-Rama in Rockland county, NY reopens for hockey on July 7. I skate in a Friday Night gang there for over 30 years. I’m going to stay off the ice for awhile before I rejoin the group. I’m close to the at-risk age group. Also I have returned to work at the Pro Shop this week after three months closed at the Ice House in Hackensack, NJ. Work is a priority. The Ice House is reopening this Monday for figure skaters with limited sessions. Hockey returns July 6 at Ice House. 

What are your plans ? Start playing immediately or wait ? 

• Like 2

Howdy,

Things started back up here a week or two ago.  My wife and I have both decided to wait.  Originally that was going to be to wait until July to see what cases seemed to do.  We're waffling a bit on that now, as cases in Ohio as a whole are back trending up, though PA (where we mostly play) are still trending down.  One of the frustrating things is that its hard to get trend information at a more localized level, so I have no real idea what's happening in the Pittsburgh/Youngstown area specifically.

Indoor hockey would be our primary 'exposure channel' or whatever you call it, at least until (if) school starts for our son, or marching band (if it happens).  Right at this moment, I'm tempted to wait to play until one or both of those open back up as well since if our family is going to be exposed more anyway, I might as well be playing hockey.  I'll freely admit that that isn't necessarily the most intellectually sound argument though.  🙂

Just based on Facebook, it seems like most folks we played with prior to all this are going back now.  We're a little older then them on average and pretty squarely in the younger end of the "danger zone" or whatever you want to call it.

One thing that helps me is that I've started autocrossing again (
https://www.scca.com/pages/what-is-autocross).  This was a pretty serious hobby for me for a LONG time, which I backed away from when I started playing hockey around 4 years ago.  Its been fun to get back more involved with it and the risk levels from Covid are a LOT lower, just due to the nature of the sport.

Mark

38 minutes ago, marka said:

Howdy,

Things started back up here a week or two ago.  My wife and I have both decided to wait.  Originally that was going to be to wait until July to see what cases seemed to do.  We're waffling a bit on that now, as cases in Ohio as a whole are back trending up, though PA (where we mostly play) are still trending down.  One of the frustrating things is that its hard to get trend information at a more localized level, so I have no real idea what's happening in the Pittsburgh/Youngstown area specifically.

Indoor hockey would be our primary 'exposure channel' or whatever you call it, at least until (if) school starts for our son, or marching band (if it happens).  Right at this moment, I'm tempted to wait to play until one or both of those open back up as well since if our family is going to be exposed more anyway, I might as well be playing hockey.  I'll freely admit that that isn't necessarily the most intellectually sound argument though.  🙂

Just based on Facebook, it seems like most folks we played with prior to all this are going back now.  We're a little older then them on average and pretty squarely in the younger end of the "danger zone" or whatever you want to call it.

One thing that helps me is that I've started autocrossing again (
https://www.scca.com/pages/what-is-autocross).  This was a pretty serious hobby for me for a LONG time, which I backed away from when I started playing hockey around 4 years ago.  Its been fun to get back more involved with it and the risk levels from Covid are a LOT lower, just due to the nature of the sport.

Mark

Vast majority of cases are in the Philly area, I have a link somewhere of a county by county heat map, I will post the link when I find it.

Howdy,

4 minutes ago, BenBreeg said:

Vast majority of cases are in the Philly area, I have a link somewhere of a county by county heat map, I will post the link when I find it.

I can cat get current case counts by county easy enough.  Its harder to get decent trend lines by county.

Mark

I would like to wait, but the reality is I’ve already lost one spot on my team, I’m not about to risk losing my spot in my private pickup skates on tuesdays too.

As much as I like to think “they will understand”, my personal experience tells me that they won’t. They never do.

rinks here opened on the 13th and ive been 4 times already.  actually did a few underground sessions during the lockdown too.

Edited by evor1
  • Facepalm 1

On 6/20/2020 at 9:41 AM, DarkStar50 said:

Here in metro NYC a few of the rinks are getting ready to reopen. Sport-O-Rama in Rockland county, NY reopens for hockey on July 7. I skate in a Friday Night gang there for over 30 years. I’m going to stay off the ice for awhile before I rejoin the group. I’m close to the at-risk age group. Also I have returned to work at the Pro Shop this week after three months closed at the Ice House in Hackensack, NJ. Work is a priority. The Ice House is reopening this Monday for figure skaters with limited sessions. Hockey returns July 6 at Ice House. 

We cancelled SummerJam at the Prudential Center because we just didn't think we would get enough people to want to travel to NJ at this time.  It took me a while to come to that decision but I think it was justified.  We'll be back next year - expect to see you there!

• Like 2

On 6/20/2020 at 6:41 AM, DarkStar50 said:

Rinks have been open here in AZ for a while now. I've been skating 3-5 times a week at private ice time, drop-in/pond hockey, and stick-time sessions. They have a few precautions in place when entering the arenas but the everything else is pretty normal. 

6 hours ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

Rinks have been open here in AZ for a while now.

Well that’s not surprising, AZ isn’t exactly known for being the brightest part of the country.

• Haha 1

My first schedule game will be with my inline team during the 1st week of July. I want to get back to hockey but still don't feel comfortable going back. Its weird feeling this way as (like most of yous) a hockey junkie. We'll see.

The rinks locally have opened up for stick-and-shoot. I haven't gone yet. Not so much related to COVID-19, but it's $20 for a 1-hour skate and no scrimmaging allowed.  

Even as the rinks open, it is gradual (other than the jackass who was renting his ice during the lockdown I am sure).  Spring hockey (which is now summer hockey) reduced the number of kids on a team and halved the number of teams on the ice for practices from 4 to 2.  Practices are led by 2-3 coaches from the parent org, no individual team coaches on the ice.  Kids come dressed or mostly dressed, just throw on tops and skates.  Individual water bottles.  Pick up and sticktime registration is online only.  Cleaning is going on constantly.  Random dad telling his kid to "pick it up" from the stands remains unchanged...

My rink is starting up beer league again in early July. As much as I miss it and want to be playing, I told my team I'm good. The only changes they are making are not allowing spectators and cleaning the locker rooms after every game. With cases starting to spike again, I wouldnt stand next to 10 guys in the grocery store without masks on no less play hockey with them. I'm a little jealous of the people who are playing again and am glad the rink is getting some $ again, but no thanks. I would probably go to a stick and puck though since I can pretty much keep to myself.

I have such mixed feelings but the truth is I know it is not safe... but until there is a vaccine.  The question is how much of a risk am I willing to take.  There will be a variety of factors we should all consider.  What is the transmission rate where you live (I am in Nassau County, LI), what precautions are they taking at the rinks, will there be protective face gear like the Bauer shield?  From everything I have read an indoor sport with close contact, air conditioning and heavy breathing is the single riskiest thing out there.  I'd like to tell you I would wait... I am 53, have cardiovascular disease (3 stents), type 2 diabetes and high blood pressure.  I also have my 86 year old mother in law living in my house.  But I'm not sure... I just dont know....

Edited by dkmiller3356

14 hours ago, dkmiller3356 said:

I have such mixed feelings but the truth is I know it is not safe... but until there is a vaccine.  The question is how much of a risk am I willing to take.  There will be a variety of factors we should all consider.  What is the transmission rate where you live (I am in Nassau County, LI), what precautions are they taking at the rinks, will there be protective face gear like the Bauer shield?  From everything I have read an indoor sport with close contact, air conditioning and heavy breathing is the single riskiest thing out there.  I'd like to tell you I would wait... I am 53, have cardiovascular disease (3 stents), type 2 diabetes and high blood pressure.  I also have my 86 year old mother in law living in my house.  But I'm not sure... I just dont know....

Yeah man, its not worth it at this point in time especially with your preexisting medical issues. Hockey by nature is just not a pandemic friendly activity. If we have to take a year, even two years off, its really not that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things. I've taken that long of a hiatus before just because I got interested in some other hobbies. I just bought some outdoor inline wheels and a beater stick so I can at least skate around a bit at outdoor rinks in the mean time.

• Like 3

I feel for you guys in other places of the world. Here we opened up 3 weeks ago and with no community transmission (except where they f**k it up at the border) we all feel reasonably safe enough to start playing again. All leagues start again in the coming weeks. I hate to say this but if you are in NA you are screwed until this thing runs its course / vaccine arrives as you are never going to wipe it out the way things are going. 

Edited by Vet88

28 minutes ago, Vet88 said:

I feel for you guys in other places of the world. Here we opened up 3 weeks ago and with no community transmission (except where they f**k it up at the border) we all feel reasonably safe enough to start playing again. All leagues start again in the coming weeks. I hate to say this but if you are in NA you are screwed until this thing runs its course / vaccine arrives as you are never going to wipe it out the way things are going. 

And that's the unfortunate truth. Tough to go to the rink to "get a break" from reality when being at the rink puts you at higher risk. Rough stuff.

• Like 2

Howdy,

5 (?) days later and now PA #'s are going back up too, along with Ohio.

We'd been considering going to an adult skills class as a way to start back, since there wouldn't be any "sitting next to someone on the bench breathing hard" time and no on ice battles.  But we're backing off from that now.  Unless this is just a blip, I think the rise in cases is going to mean that we skip July and re-evaluate in August.

There's an outdoor asphalt rink about 30 minutes away that I don't think I've ever seen anyone on.  I think maybe I'll get a little more serious about it and start going down there for some outdoor time.  The "local" outdoor sport court rink is still closed to everything, unfortunately.

Mark

24 minutes ago, marka said:

I think the rise in cases is going to mean that we skip July and re-evaluate in August.

A good decision, I just think you left a little bit of info out, 2021 😷

1 hour ago, Vet88 said:

Just wondering what country are you in?