Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
DarkStar50

When the rink reopens are you going to skate immediately?

On 8/14/2020 at 3:42 PM, chippa13 said:

It looks like there were a couple of non-sanctioned kids tournaments recently in Exeter, NH and down in CT and some kids and coaches have tested positive. These are the kind of things that can gum up the works for all of us.

Yea, youth hockey is going to be a ball to deal with this year...

Edited by 215BroadStBullies610

Howdy,

So, noticed that the local rink was having stick times.  A buddy said they weren't super crowded, so I gave it a go.

Felt pretty safe.  No reason to be within 6' of anyone pretty much ever.  Not super crowded.  Could do things by myself basically.  There were maybe 10 to 12 folks inside the rink all breathing / exhaling hard w/no masks though.  It stayed within my safety comfort level and I'll keep doing them.

Skating / hockey wise it was probably better than I feared.  I legitimately was worried that I'd have atrophied in terms of skating ability.  Happily I didn't really notice anything like that.  Edge work / whatever felt normal.  I mean, nobody will ever mistake me for someone that played hockey growing up, but that's the way I was... 🙂  My feet never hurt either, which I was worried about going from skating four or five times a week to nothing for 6 months.

Stick work wasn't horrible either.  My top wrist got a little bit sore towards the end, so I'll "keep an eye" on that.  After I hurt it last year I'd started wearing a support brace that I didn't wear today.  I'll see if I can strengthen in some without it, but fall back can be to put the brace back on.

Anyway, super nice to get back on the ice, even if it was basically by myself / nothing like actually playing a game.  🙂

Mark

• Like 2

This just happened. 

The Ducks own these rinks in Orange County, California. 

Update To Facility Guidelines

Dear Rinks & Great Park Ice customers and families,

In accordance with California state guidelines, effective Friday, August 21, all skaters (including players, coaches and other participants) are required to wear a face covering while on the ice at all Rinks facilities and Great Park Ice. Face coverings remain required for all guests throughout the facilities. Face coverings should be changed if they become wet, stick to the face of a skater or obstruct breathing. We recommend that skaters bring multiple face coverings to each session.

The state guidelines for face coverings can be found here as well as on the California Department of Public Health website. The guidelines provide exceptions for wearing a face covering, including the below:

• Children under two years old
  • People with a medical or mental health condition or other disability that prevents wearing a face covering
  • People who are hearing impaired where seeing a mouth is essential for communication
  • People who are eating or drinking if they are at least six feet away from others

There exist varying opinions regarding wearing face coverings during exercise. Nevertheless, we are required to comply with state regulations which includes requiring skaters to wear face coverings while on the ice. Each skater and parent are encouraged to monitor their own physical limitations and plan accordingly. More information about safely wearing face coverings during exercise can be found on the CDC website (such as here and here) as well as other health and government agency websites.

The health and safety at The Rinks and Great Park Ice is our number one priority. We appreciate your understanding during this time as we continue to follow California and Orange, Los Angeles and San Diego County guidelines to keep all of our customers, skaters, coaches, participants and staff safe and healthy.

Thank you,

Art Trottier
Vice President, ICE Management, LLC

Yea, this is a result of enough people not taking precautions that it ruins for those who've been reasonable, and in this case, just want to be "normal" and play hockey. Even though I'm not back to playing hockey, I know that rinks in the Philadelphia area haven't been forced to do this yet. Hopefully, that trends continues as it would be a reflection of how people are conducting themselves in public. Unlike individuals, the rinks (or any other entity) has to worry about potential lawsuits and what not. 2020 just keeps on giving and giving...

2 hours ago, BenBreeg said:

I wouldn’t last five minutes skating with a mask on...

You know, I thought breathing through a mask would be tough when doing vigorous exercise, but I biked 18 miles today wearing one of those blue surgical masks and it wasn't bad at all, except that the sides of the masks got sweaty.  Breathing wasn't really an issue.  If anything, wearing a mask probably helped cause of car exhaust, etc.  I also have a thin fabric gaiter, which I haven't tried yet.  I bet it would be even easier to breathe through that, but I imagine it's not as protective.   

Maybe, but even just lifting at the gym for me it gets bothersome.  I have enough problems breathing without a mask due to an influx of younger players and a few guys who recently showed up way above the regular pay grade I am used to playing with!

12 hours ago, shoot_the_goalie said:

You know, I thought breathing through a mask would be tough when doing vigorous exercise, but I biked 18 miles today wearing one of those blue surgical masks and it wasn't bad at all, except that the sides of the masks got sweaty.  Breathing wasn't really an issue.  If anything, wearing a mask probably helped cause of car exhaust, etc.  I also have a thin fabric gaiter, which I haven't tried yet.  I bet it would be even easier to breathe through that, but I imagine it's not as protective.   

If you wet the gaiter it’s much nicer to breathe through!

So the group that I play with has slowly started a month ago with precautions. 

Got word last week that someone might have been exposed so everyone needs to get tested. So I guess I'll delay the comeback a bit.

• Sad 1

I haven't returned to play yet but we have been working in the Pro Shop since June 15. I have been tested twice. The nasal swab procedure is nothing to worry about. Negative results both times.

• Like 3

The only way a mask will work is if everyone is wearing one (unless its an N95).  I support mask wearing 100% but there is no way we are getting all players to wear one.

I've skated twice since this all started and no, I didn't wear one.

I've played a handful of pickup games and only one person has worn one. Thankfully it's a mature group of guys and many are wearing masks around the rink and in the locker rooms and there's no stigma. I bought a UA Sports Mask to try out this Thursday though. While it's not remotely as effective as everyone wearing one, at least I am decreasing the chances of giving it to someone else if I were infected and asymptomatic.

I have been playing 2-3 times a week since June or July (can’t remember when they opened back up) and this morning was the first time I saw someone wearing one while playing.

CCM will be offering a mask designed to attach to your mask, wire or bubble, in early October. CCM has also made one for the goalie masks. I have booked some for the shop. We will see how the parents and players respond to this product. Practices only for the month of September start tomorrow for our travel teams.

Edited by DarkStar50

Merged into the thread where we've already been discussing wearing masks while playing because a) that seems appropriate and b) the original post is pretty spammy. 

22 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

Merged into the thread where we've already been discussing wearing masks while playing because a) that seems appropriate and b) the original post is pretty spammy. 

Thanks. Not sure how the OP was spammy 

• Like 2

On 9/8/2020 at 4:18 PM, hockeyshield said:

Thanks. Not sure how the OP was spammy 

Well, a user called “hockeyshield” who has zero posts starts a topic asking about playing with facemasks instead of using the one that exists already. You moderate a forum long enough you see patterns that raise red flags. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/10/2020 at 11:52 AM, IPv6Freely said:

Well, a user called “hockeyshield” who has zero posts starts a topic asking about playing with facemasks instead of using the one that exists already. You moderate a forum long enough you see patterns that raise red flags. 

This thread inspired my user name and i did not see a thread specif to face masks. 

Had a 60 minute adult hockey training session and wore a face mask with my newly installed Bauer Concept 3 face shield  Mask was fine until it got soaking wet and had to change it with a dry one midway. Will try again next week. 

Edited by hockeyshield

League starts up tonight. Wish this was three months ago when I was still working out. I was in probably the best cardio shape I've ever been in and then once summer hit I got derailed. It's going to hurt tomorrow but looking forward to playing again.   

• Like 1

I've played in two pick-up games since COVID-19 shut things down. Once before my heart attack and once after. I could play, but I'm going to take this winter season off though. 

MA and NH both shut down hockey again for at least 2 weeks. Covid clusters around kids' games and tournaments ruining it for the rest of us as governors press the panic button.

My two leagues are talking about finishing our playoffs from last season and then starting the new season. My expectation is that none of that's going to happen and we'll be lucky just to have the rinks stay open this winter for sticks & pucks and clinics. This Covid shit's only going to get a lot worse this winter before it starts getting better.