Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
DarkStar50

When the rink reopens are you going to skate immediately?

I think with the third wave (and flu season) soon upon us, I'm going to avoid playing even though my thumb is getting better and I could play in about two weeks. 

21 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

I think with the third wave (and flu season) soon upon us, I'm going to avoid playing even though my thumb is getting better and I could play in about two weeks. 

Totally agree. The holidays and cold don't bode well for immune systems. Everyone stay safe.

My house league has been absorbed by HNA and they're talking about resuming play in NY in January. Until then, just stick time and an HNA clinic at my home rink. My expectation is that the rinks won't even be open at all in January because everything's going to have to shut down all over again.

my league has been back since mid June. we had a few cases over the Summer but in the last 2 weeks it's spiked like crazy. in the last week alone we had around a 15-20 cases. in some cases, there have been outbreaks on teams.

masks aren't required once past the lobby, games are being played as usual, no special locker room rules other than showers are closed and after-game tailgating has continued as normal because where I live (GA), people are stupid.

Edited by shoeshine boy

Ugh. Tested positive this morning. I don’t leave the house except for hockey and grocery shopping and walking the dogs. I always wear a mask when out, and keep one on (correctly!) all the time I’m in the rink and when playing, and only take it off to drink water. 
Even when you are careful things can still happen, and we can’t control other people’s decisions/actions. Bummer. 

Stay safe, be smart. 

6 hours ago, start_today said:

Ugh. Tested positive this morning. I don’t leave the house except for hockey and grocery shopping and walking the dogs. I always wear a mask when out, and keep one on (correctly!) all the time I’m in the rink and when playing, and only take it off to drink water. 
Even when you are careful things can still happen, and we can’t control other people’s decisions/actions. Bummer. 

Stay safe, be smart. 

Hope you have a quick recovery!

i am not playing right now, I am limiting my rink time to my son’s activities.  I am not shutting down but try to relegate risk to the most important things, and I would rather he play than me.

I honestly have no idea if the leagues are playing now. They were supposed to be starting up but since I'm not actually on a team, now...

Either way, no thanks. Shit is way too crazy right now. I don't think I'll be hitting the ice again until a week or so after my second vaccine shot... 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, shoeshine boy said:

for those of you who are playing I have a question: is your league sharing with you how many positive cases there are among players?

When I was playing up until about 4-5 weeks ago, no.  I haven't gotten any info like that from adult skates or heard anything like that regarding youth leagues.

On 12/1/2020 at 5:21 PM, shoeshine boy said:

for those of you who are playing I have a question: is your league sharing with you how many positive cases there are among players?

One league I play in is really good about sharing info. But, then they are also reliant on players contacting them, so they are limited by that. The other league does not seem to be aware that COVID is a concern to any degree, beyond MA curfew limiting their access to ice time. 

On 11/30/2020 at 10:12 PM, start_today said:

Stay safe, be smart. 

Yea, that's why I can't got back to the rink. You can do everything right and you come across the "right" person and you're left holding the bag. Praying that you get better quickly with no after affects. Miss being at the rink but there are just too many idiots out and about for me to expose myself. Stay safe boys.

• Like 2

On 11/30/2020 at 10:12 PM, start_today said:

Stay safe, be smart. 

And this is why I refuse to live a shut-in life during these times. Really the only 2 differences in my life pre-Covid and post-Covid is that I'm working remotely full time and that I wear a mask when unable to social distance. We're still dining out on the weekends and I've been golfing and playing hockey since both opened up. I look at this like driving. I can't control what everyone else does but if I pay attention and follow the proper precautions then I have a better than average shot of making it through okay.

• Like 1

I just started canceling my regular appointments as well. It’s just not worth the risk right now as the numbers continue to skyrocket. I’m glad our governor finally shut everything down. Way too late, but better late than never. 

• Like 1

On 12/1/2020 at 3:21 PM, shoeshine boy said:

So far there haven't been any incidents at our rink. They have been forthcoming with info for anyone who asks, but they basically have a play at your own risk approach. The assumption is that everyone knows what's going on and chooses to play. If anyone has concerns and wants more info, they won't hide anything if there is something that people should know about, but they have definitely placed the onus on players to request info

Interesting article and I believe you should always learn as much as you can about a topic, but basically no data in the article.  Nothing about rates of infections vs. other sports, no controlling variables.  I honestly have more contact with people in the grocery store than at the rink.  Our main rink is a ghost town, parents have to be in and out if they need to help their kids get ready, they have to wait in the parking lot, one fan per player.  Our other rink has more people but we get dressed out in the main area which is huge, are dressing in 10 mins, on the ice, and gone in 10 mins after.  Lots of things need taken into account.

I know in NJ, Gov. Murphy keeps saying that they've seen 20 "outbreaks" related to youth hockey, resulting in over 100 people becoming infected.  That was part of the rationale for shutting down indoor sports until Jan. 2 for us.

It seems a rink is a perfect place for transmitting the virus:

• Enclosed space
  • Cold
  • Recycled air
  • Lots of heavy breathing
  • Close contact between players (hockey)

I'm no doctor, but that seems pretty compelling.

3 hours ago, krisdrum said:

That was part of the rationale for shutting down indoor sports until Jan. 2 for us.

One reason out of many. I'm glad CA finally got their shit together and is shutting things down.

I did have somebody tell me that California having a higher infection rate than Florida is proof that shutdowns don't work. The inability to process basic logic by some people is staggering. 

Yea, I'm curious to see how youth hockey has handled itself when it comes to the infection rate. Being away from the rink has made me out of the loop but I'd imagine that if things were getting bad in the Delaware Valley, people would step to make sure the spread doesn't continue.

I had the opportunity to skate this week for the first time since I broke my hand. Um, no thanks. I don't understand how the rinks are even still open.

Then again, I'm in a county where strip clubs are "protected by the first amendment", but camping in the middle of a 600K acre desert is a big no-no.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2