Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
Leif

Skates that are too long

Is there anything wrong with using inline skates that are too long by 15-20 mm? Assume the forefoot width is perfect and a good heel lock. I’m looking at Reign hockey skates which fit somewhat narrow, and my feet are a bit wider than average. 

In the case of ice skates it’s a bad idea, as the blade centre will be too far forward.  I once had oversized ice skates and kept falling backwards. The Reign frame can be moved forwards/backwards to some extent which might mitigate the balance offset. 

What you're talking about is 1.5 to 2 sizes too big for you. At that point I think you'll lose some agility and crossovers would feel weird. Why are you buying skates that much bigger?

Sounds like you're looking at skates that run narrow and are looking to size up the length to compensate for width. If that's the case it's probably not a great idea. Better if just getting skates that fit you. Obviously depends what you're using them for. For a cruise on the boardwalk I don't think it's the end of the world, but if you plan on playing with them, even lazy pickup, I would avoid. The easiest way to get hurt is gear that fits poorly and skates are the worst 

• Like 3

Yes exactly, the Reign skates are said to run narrow. I fit Supreme 7 EE and my forefeet are shallow but wider than average, with slightly narrow heels. I love the Trinity frame with 100 mm wheels I use for casual hockey and general skating. But it’s a hard shell boot, heavy and bulky. I can’t try them as the nearest shop is 200 miles away, it would be easier if I could. Okay, there’s buy online and return if need be. I’m hoping I can fit an EU 42 size. 

Personally, I would look into fitting that frame onto a Supreme 7EE. They sell 3x100 frames and I think you can get it to fit a Bauer boot. You can find an ice boot pretty cheap on sideline. Might have you sitting a bit higher than on 4x80, but that's probably similar to the stock Powerslide situation. IMO it's preferable to being in a boot 2 sizes too big. Maybe there's room to recess the wheel(s) a bit. This is just my guess, but you can probably find a pro-shop that can make it work for you. 

OK, somehow you can rivet the frames onto the skates, but you have to jack them up to mount the wheels. With only three mounting points, the skate lacks the structures to distribute the forces evenly over the skate.

7 hours ago, hockeydad3 said:
OK, somehow you can rivet the frames onto the skates, but you have to jack them up to mount the wheels. With only three mounting points, the skate lacks the structures to distribute the forces evenly over the skate.

My Trinity frame skates have a plastic adapter between the boot and the frame. You could 3D print an adapter, rivet it onto the hockey boot, and then bolt on the frames. Not exactly easy, although you can order 3D printed items, and you supply the CAD drawing as a digital file. So it is possible, but outside of my ability and willingness to try. 

FWIW I went with Bauer x2.9 inlines, and I think I made the right decision. I do prefer the feel over my tri-skates, I don’t know how much of that is due to the stiff hockey boot versus a plastic shell with foam liner. They feel as agile. I get soreness on the sides of my big toes, not a surprise really. The joys of breaking in hockey skates. 

As an aside, my Bauer scan differs a fair bit from the one done 18 months ago, and put me in a Supreme, not a Vapor as before. The scan is not that consistent evidently. 

Edited by Leif