Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
AnimalFear

Lifts/Shims for Heel AND Toe?

I recently bought a pair of Graf 703 boots (just the boots) and I want to get a pair of Tuuk Custom Plus holders mounted on them.  My other pair of skates are Bauer Supreme 1S with Tuuk Lightspeed Edge holders.  I don't love the stiffness of the Supremes or the Edge holders since I'm only 145 lbs and I miss my old softer Graf 704s, which had Custom Plus holders.  The only thing I do like about the Edge holders, however, is the extra height which reduces bottoming out on tight turns.  Would it be possible to have my LHS add shims/lifts to both the heel and toe to add that extra 3mm height I like?  Or am I just making things too complicated?  If it is possible, does anyone know where I could get this done?  Thanks!

2 minutes ago, AnimalFear said:

I recently bought a pair of Graf 703 boots (just the boots) and I want to get a pair of Tuuk Custom Plus holders mounted on them.  My other pair of skates are Bauer Supreme 1S with Tuuk Lightspeed Edge holders.  I don't love the stiffness of the Supremes or the Edge holders since I'm only 145 lbs and I miss my old softer Graf 704s, which had Custom Plus holders.  The only thing I do like about the Edge holders, however, is the extra height which reduces bottoming out on tight turns.  Would it be possible to have my LHS add shims/lifts to both the heel and toe to add that extra 3mm height I like?  Or am I just making things too complicated?  If it is possible, does anyone know where I could get this done?  Thanks!

Yes, this is possible and many players request this. Just make sure a reputable shop does the work. I am not sure where you are located... 

Just now, SkateWorksPNW said:

Yes, this is possible and many players request this. Just make sure a reputable shop does the work. I am not sure where you are located... 

Thanks for the reply.  I'm in Los Angeles.  

12 hours ago, AnimalFear said:

Saku Koivu had equally thick black shims on front and back towers of the holder which this picture shows.

koivuskates.jpg

2 hours ago, Larry54 said:

Saku Koivu had equally thick black shims on front and back towers of the holder which this picture shows.

koivuskates.jpg

Wow. I've never heard or seen of this before. I had to get a close-up.

b43b039b1a6d4def814feee1dd7ee23d.jpg

i have made my own lifts with lexan in the past. But i also have a riveter and was able to put it back together myself. I have really wide feet and need the extra height to prevent me from bottoming out in turns.  I also use Flare Skate Blades. It makes me able to get over on my turns a bit more also.

Wow those Koivu lifts are pretty extreme. I'm going to reach out to a couple of pro shops nearby and see if they will be able to add the shims for me and install the holders.  I think the most difficult part will be finding someone with the materials.