Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Asian Tomatoe

Bauer Fit 3 vs Nexus Fit

Has anyone had a chance to compare the new Bauer fit 3 versus a Nexus fit? Or does anyone know how different the fit 3 is versus the Nexus?

I'm trying to figure out if the fit 3 has a narrower heel than the Nexus fit from previous. No around here has a fit 3 in my size.

Also, how much less stiffer are the intermediate versions compared to their senior counter parts? 

I could be totally wrong here, but I was told that Fit 3 is actually closer to a Supreme EE, than a Nexus D.  Have not been able to put one on my foot, so it's purely anecdotal.

No first hand experience, but I'd imagine 1 of 2 things... 1) Fit 3 has a narrower heel than Nexus that can be widened through the baking process or 2) Bauer has made a business decision to not service individuals with wide/high volume feet and narrow heels in a retail context.  However, they claim between the 3 fits they fit 100% of foot types (I find that hard to swallow and is likely marketing hype). 

My son and I went and got scanned 2-3 weeks back when retail re-opened in NJ.  I came out a Fit 3.  I have a wide forefoot, deep instep, but narrow heel.  I was focused on getting my son sized, having him try on a few skates and getting out of the store, so didn't even bother to ask if they had anything in stock in my size/fit. 

19 hours ago, Asian Tomatoe said:

Has anyone had a chance to compare the new Bauer fit 3 versus a Nexus fit? Or does anyone know how different the fit 3 is versus the Nexus?

I'm trying to figure out if the fit 3 has a narrower heel than the Nexus fit from previous. No around here has a fit 3 in my size.

Also, how much less stiffer are the intermediate versions compared to their senior counter parts? 

I was told by a product developer at Bauer that FIt 3 is a touch wider than a Supreme EE, but not as wide or as much volume as Nexus.  My guess is yes, the heel will be narrower because it's still built off the Supreme last, not the Nexus.

I wonder if this will just phase out the Nexus line. They only made 3 models this past run. While they increase Vapor and Supreme models, they're diminishing Nexus production. My guess is that Supreme fit 3 (if you can widen the heel sufficiently) will replace it. I remember once seeing that Bauer claims 15% of skaters are a Nexus fit. If they can get that group into Supremes then they can probably nix the Nexus line altogether. I might be missing a few components in this equation since I haven't had a chance to try the new line yet

11 minutes ago, Miller55 said:

I wonder if this will just phase out the Nexus line. They only made 3 models this past run. While they increase Vapor and Supreme models, they're diminishing Nexus production. My guess is that Supreme fit 3 (if you can widen the heel sufficiently) will replace it. I remember once seeing that Bauer claims 15% of skaters are a Nexus fit. If they can get that group into Supremes then they can probably nix the Nexus line altogether. I might be missing a few components in this equation since I haven't had a chance to try the new line yet

They have already killed the Nexus skate line

14 hours ago, Miller55 said:

So they aren't putting out a 3N? Thought it might have been delayed

Correct.  Two skate lines (Vapor and Supreme) and 3 fits (1,2,3) available in both lines.  So fit no longer differentiates the lines from each other.  The difference is now in features (eyelet type, default profile, etc.).  They are marketing the Vapor as the "agility" skate and the Supreme as the "power" skate. 

• Thanks 1

That makes sense. Definitely a smart move given how few people wear the Nexus. Kinda saw that coming when they didn't release a 2N pro

Edited by Miller55

So, we are going from 6 fit options across Bauers skates at a given size (vapor d,ee; supreme d;ee, nexus d;ee) to 3 fit options at a given size. 

I guess increased moldability of skates can help people who are lost in those in between areas. And maybe nexus ee was a low use case scenario. 

1 hour ago, start_today said:

So, we are going from 6 fit options across Bauers skates at a given size (vapor d,ee; supreme d;ee, nexus d;ee) to 3 fit options at a given size. 

I guess increased moldability of skates can help people who are lost in those in between areas. And maybe nexus ee was a low use case scenario. 

I think you are just accommodating the foot size/shape combinations across two models instead of three.  For a given size you have 3 fits of Vapors and 3 fits of Supremes, correct?  Or are they not doing the fit thing with the Vapors?

41 minutes ago, BenBreeg said:

I think you are just accommodating the foot size/shape combinations across two models instead of three.  For a given size you have 3 fits of Vapors and 3 fits of Supremes, correct?  Or are they not doing the fit thing with the Vapors?

Nope.  You've basically got the equivalent of a 2019 Vapor D, Supreme D, and Hybrid Supreme EE/Nexus D.  I have a feeling current Vapor EE users are going to be unhappy.

Edited by boo10

10 minutes ago, boo10 said:

Nope.  You've basically got the equivalent of a 2019 Vapor D, Supreme D, and Hybrid Supreme EE/Nexus D.  I have a feeling current Vapor EE users are going to be unhappy.

Their website sucks.  It has the Vapor and the Supreme on the same page as information about the 3 fits.  You take the quiz to determine the right skate and it lands you on the custom skate page which has Vapor and you can choose any of the 3 fits.  It was good that they simplified the number of offerings a while back but now it seems like they are confusing things again. 

18 minutes ago, BenBreeg said:

Their website sucks.  It has the Vapor and the Supreme on the same page as information about the 3 fits.  You take the quiz to determine the right skate and it lands you on the custom skate page which has Vapor and you can choose any of the 3 fits.  It was good that they simplified the number of offerings a while back but now it seems like they are confusing things again. 

The 3 Fits are the same on both Vapor and Supreme.  So while yes, you have Vapor in Fit 1, 2, 3 and Supreme in Fit 1, 2, 3, Fit 1, 2, and 3 are the same for both.  The difference between Vapor and Supreme is now just the feature set.

However, I did see a video with the product manager at Bauer and he said that the fits will feel different in the two skate lines.  My guess is they might be keeping the more tapered profile in the Vapors vs the anatomical fit of the Supreme.

25 minutes ago, psulion22 said:

The 3 Fits are the same on both Vapor and Supreme.  So while yes, you have Vapor in Fit 1, 2, 3 and Supreme in Fit 1, 2, 3, Fit 1, 2, and 3 are the same for both.  The difference between Vapor and Supreme is now just the feature set.

However, I did see a video with the product manager at Bauer and he said that the fits will feel different in the two skate lines.  My guess is they might be keeping the more tapered profile in the Vapors vs the anatomical fit of the Supreme.

I think the different tongues would affect that as well though as well as the eyelits.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, boo10 said:

Yeah, I'm curious to try Fit 3.  I found Vapor EE to work best for me, narrow heel, wide forefoot.  The forefoot needed a bit of punching, but nothing too major.  The standard Supreme heel was too wide for me.  With ALL the data they have at their fingertips, hopefully those truly on the fringes can be accommodated.   

So I took the time to go try on the FIT 2 & 3 between the Vapor 2x Pro and the Supreme Ultrasonic & 3S PRO. I can't really get my feet into a fit 1 so didn't even bother with those.

The tongue does play into how the skate feels based on trying a FIT 3 Ultrasonic vs a FIT 3 in the 3S PRO. The Ultrasonic tongue is much better than the previous 2S PRO but it definitely does take up more space, in terms of volume compared to the more standard 3S PRO tongue. When I tried on the 32 PRO, there was less press over the top of my foot versus the Ultrasonic in the same spot due to the tongue. I could really feel the Reflex segments in the Ultrasonic.

Overall, the new supreme has more volume in the curved section of the boot or between the instep and ankle area compared to the previous Supreme and even Nexus line. There is less volume in the front half of the skate compared to the Nexus but part of that is also due to the new Toe Cap. I'd agree with the assessment that it's a slightly wider Supreme EE (Nexus D) but the heel area is definitely no where near as wide and cavernous as the Nexus. I'd call FIT 3 more like a Nexus width up front, mid section is like a supreme EE but with a little more volume, and the heel/ankle area is like a Supreme shape but the ankle and heel padding isn't like an Supreme EE (not as thick or bulky). Overall, for me, heel shape works better than the Supreme EE and Nexus as it seems like the padding is located better and shaped better for my foot.

Regarding the FIT 3 between a Vapor and Supreme, they are similar but definitely feel different. The difference is most likely due to the boot cut and overall shape. Even with the asymetrical ankles, I fail the pencil test in the FIT 3 Vapor and pass the pencil test in the FIT 3 supreme comfortably. The FIT 3 Vapor feels slightly more snug overall (at least for me) and has slightly less volume overall... is the best way I can describe it. I'm going to guess depending on the foot shape, the feel difference between FIT 3 (and the other FITs) across the two lines will be more pronounced for some and not for others.

I briefly tried on a FIT 2 Ultrasonic and that didn't really last long. The FIT 2 Ultrasonic seemed tighter compared to the previous generation Supreme D across all areas but I can't make much statement as it was an uncomfortable fit overall for me.

Side note - the Bauer fit machine put in a FIT 2 but a second scan put in a FIT 3. Using Bauer fit system - it says I have a E Right EE Left forefoot, low end instep, high volume where the foot and ankle meet, medium ankle volume, medium/medium high heel. Length was 6.5 skate size. I like my skate tight and there was no way a FIT2 would even be comfortable for me.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, psulion22 said:

That's what I originally thought, 3 fits in each of two boots, that makes sense.

So in terms of the last, they are building supreme and vapors on the same lasts now? Rather than a vapor/supreme/nexus last, they have a last for each of fit 1,2,3 and they make vapor and supreme on that last? I guess some of the other variables are what makes the difference between Supreme and Vapor.

2 hours ago, psulion22 said:

The 3 Fits are the same onHowever, I did see a video with the product manager at Bauer and he said that the fits will feel different in the two skate lines.  My guess is they might be keeping the more tapered profile in the Vapors vs the anatomical fit of the Supreme.b

But all the Bauer marketing material says the skates fit the same, and choice of model is determined by what bells and whistles you want on the skate. Frusrating that the product manager is pitching a differently line that the marketing. 

They’ve tried the “Vapor is for X player and Supreme is for Y player” for a while, and that now sorta made sense if they are going to offer the same fit.

I guess we just wait and get more real world feedback from people who put skates on their feet, and quit relying on marketing materials. (Hat tip to Asian Tomatoe for a solid overview of their experience.)

18 minutes ago, Miller55 said:

So in terms of the last, they are building supreme and vapors on the same lasts now? Rather than a vapor/supreme/nexus last, they have a last for each of fit 1,2,3 and they make vapor and supreme on that last? I guess some of the other variables are what makes the difference between Supreme and Vapor.

Yeah, that's probably the best way of putting it.

14 minutes ago, start_today said:

But all the Bauer marketing material says the skates fit the same, and choice of model is determined by what bells and whistles you want on the skate. Frusrating that the product manager is pitching a differently line that the marketing. 

They’ve tried the “Vapor is for X player and Supreme is for Y player” for a while, and that now sorta made sense if they are going to offer the same fit.

I guess we just wait and get more real world feedback from people who put skates on their feet, and quit relying on marketing materials. (Hat tip to Asian Tomatoe for a solid overview of their experience.)

The videos are on Bauer's IG page, under the "3 Fit Q&A" folder at the top, if you want to watch.

As Hills and some others have said, the difference in feel is likely attributed to the difference in features.  A Vapor skate has the asymmetrical last, the ribs in the heel, the stiffer injected facings, and a different tongue.  It's not going to wrap the foot as much as the Supreme and it's going to have a much different feel in the heel because of the ribs.  Those things will likely give the skate a tighter heel and slightly less volume.  But they're all part of the features that make the Vapor skate meant for "quickness"

From my experience Bauer skates aren't even that mouldable. The boots for the CCMs get super soft and so does the trues but never got that impression with Bauer's. 

2 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

From my experience Bauer skates aren't even that mouldable. The boots for the CCMs get super soft and so does the trues but never got that impression with Bauer's. 

I've seen a couple of videos where the CCM skate product manager claims that Bauer skates (curv) don't really become pliable until you heat them to 300 degrees, whereas CCM skates are pliable at 200 degrees.  Not sure how true it is, but I don't doubt it, as the Bauer skates I've had were not very moldable, even when they were quite hot.