Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
VegasHockey

Do you think youth hockey will start on time this year?

On 8/25/2020 at 10:39 AM, EJB said:

I'm interested to hear how things are progressing?  We are moving forward, as if the season is a go.  First tournament already cancelled due to being in Connecticut and so many states being banned.  I should qualify, I don't know if the tournament was cancelled or we are just not going.  That said, scheduled to be in Pittsburgh in 2 weeks, guess we'll see. 

Pittsburgh cancelled or we’re out, either way.  So NHGL Hartford, Pittsburgh Showcase done.

That's a good question. I feel for you parents and your kids when it comes to all of this. I have no skin in the game other than myself so it is easier for me to walk away with the hopes that the 2021-2022 season is "normal" (so weird thinking that far ahead). Traveling increases the likelihood of contraction and rinks don't want to be on the hook for the next outbreak. You're seeing what's happening with colleges that tried to reopen and cases are reported so they close doors again. There will always be somebody who wants to do what they want and "ruin it" for everybody else. 

• Like 2

My guys season started on time and they already have 9 games under their belts. Tournaments not looking very good but seems like they will do a few super series instead. 

How did the rest of you guys make out?

Since I've removed myself from hockey this year, I'm out of the hockey loop. I do know that that was one known report of a player (Tier-II Youth) that got coronavirus. Once again, things could be worse but I'm not privy to that information.

4 hours ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

Scottsdale Ice Den had a men's league player play who apparently knew he was sick and decided to skate anyway and infected 9 other players on his team. Moron. 

I went to a pick up game last Wednesday. The rink now checks your temp when you come in to sign up. Not sure if that would have made a difference or not.

Howdy,

On 10/17/2020 at 5:29 PM, SkateWorksPNW said:

Scottsdale Ice Den had a men's league player play who apparently knew he was sick and decided to skate anyway and infected 9 other players on his team. Moron. 

Curious if players on the other team were infected... Do you know?

I'm trying to evaluate risk of infection in various parts of "they hockey player experience"... I.e. risk in the locker room changing, risk on the bench, risk actually on the ice, etc.

Has anyone heard of anything at all scientific about that type of thing?

Mark

Nothing scientific but when PA was in the midst of the previous version of restrictions which were inconsistent- % for restaurants at 50% for people not wearing masks but a flat number of 25 for indoor including the teams, coaches and refs whether you were in a small local rink or RMU or UPMC which is 10x as big, either USA Hockey or Mid-Am sent out talking points for the "write your rep" type of campaign where they were citing some numbers like average length of engagement between players is like 3 seconds or something like that.  Don't quote me on the details but there was some data they were putting out there.

But given that my in-house squirts end up with about 8-9 of them working the puck on the boards at the same time, I think it depends on the level...

2 hours ago, BenBreeg said:

Nothing scientific but when PA was in the midst of the previous version of restrictions which were inconsistent- % for restaurants at 50% for people not wearing masks but a flat number of 25 for indoor including the teams, coaches and refs whether you were in a small local rink or RMU or UPMC which is 10x as big, either USA Hockey or Mid-Am sent out talking points for the "write your rep" type of campaign where they were citing some numbers like average length of engagement between players is like 3 seconds or something like that.  Don't quote me on the details but there was some data they were putting out there.

But given that my in-house squirts end up with about 8-9 of them working the puck on the boards at the same time, I think it depends on the level...

I remember seeing something similar but USA Hockey has information based on a study(ies) that has been done in the past:

https://www.usahockey.com/playersafety

Screen Shot 2020-10-19 at 4.14.43 PM.png

Report_Regarding_Immediate_Proximity_Associated_with_Body_Contact_in_Ice_Hockey.pdf

Howdy,

This article was linked on The Athletic... Ugh.

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6941a4.htm

The "other team players infected" part is the part that bothers me the most.  I can do lots of different things to mitigate risk of locker room in particular, but I'm pretty darn close to being back to "not willing to play unless everyone is wearing a mask".

Which fucking sucks.

Mark

Edited by marka

7 minutes ago, marka said:

Howdy,

The "other team players infected" part is the part that bothers me the most.  I can do lots of different things to mitigate risk of locker room in particular, but I'm pretty darn close to being back to "not willing to play unless everyone is wearing a mask".

Which fucking sucks.

Mark

This is why I haven't been anywhere close to hockey since mid-March. I'm HOPING that everyone will be proactive in trying to stay healthy and be willing to open their mouth if they get sick. And yes, that's a lot to ask for of some people so I've stayed away. I'm happy for those of you who've been back at hockey with no issues. I hope that continues.

• Like 1

On 10/19/2020 at 4:11 PM, marka said:

Howdy,

Which fucking sucks.

Mark

Yeah, this is sobering.  There goes the "it is the locker rooms that are the problem" theory. 

It is certainly NOT the locker room and it's high time we stopped thinking we are immune or that you wont get it.  Stop acting tough, the virus doesn't give a shit.  And even if you don't care if you get sick what about the other people in your life who you'd give it to.  I have spoken to some travel/junior parents.  I can't tell you how many times I hear: "they are your and strong - they will be fine."  How f-ing stupid.  And then they come to school!!!!  And parties.  Beyond dumb.

I have played a few times in clinics and scrimmages.  If I skate I wear a mask.  The infection rate is very low in NY but things are starting to get a little worse and I may avoid  playing for a while.  We can wait.  Be smart.

Edited by dkmiller3356
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, dkmiller3356 said:

It is certainly NOT the locker room and it's high time we stopped thinking we are immune or that you wont get it.  Stop acting tough, the virus doesn't give a shit.  And even if you don't care if you get sick what about the other people in your life who you'd give it to.  I have spoken to some travel/junior parents.  I can't tell you how many times I hear: "they are your and strong - they will be fine."  How f-ing stupid.  And then they come to school!!!!  And parties.  Beyond dumb.

I have played a few times in clinics and scrimmages.  If I skate I wear a mask.  The infection rate is very low in NY but things are starting to get a little worse and I may avoid  playing for a while.  We can wait.  Be smart.

Not sure it is fair to say it is "NOT the locker room", considering what we know about how this spreads, locker rooms present a risky environment compared to most other parts of the rink.  It does seem to be fair to say it is NOT ONLY the locker room, based on this case study.  Now, any scientist worth more than the paper their diploma is on will tell you 1 event hardly makes for "proof".  There are too many variables to understand and/or control.

But I agree, taking extra precautions have few (if any) downsides and a whole lot of upside. 

Edited by krisdrum

Howdy,

16 hours ago, dkmiller3356 said:

Yeah.  I'm back to this.  After thinking that I could play two mornings a week and was pumped to get back out there.  That CDC article (and their new definition of what a "close contact" is) really rained on my parade.  😞

If masks were required on the ice, I'd play.  But they're not around here, coupled with numbers going up at a pretty good clip, so... Guess I'm not going to play.

Mark

Edited by marka

On 10/22/2020 at 7:37 AM, krisdrum said:

Not sure it is fair to say it is "NOT the locker room", considering what we know about how this spreads, locker rooms present a risky environment compared to most other parts of the rink.  It does seem to be fair to say it is NOT ONLY the locker room, based on this case study.  Now, any scientist worth more than the paper their diploma is on will tell you 1 event hardly makes for "proof".  There are too many variables to understand and/or control.

But I agree, taking extra precautions have few (if any) downsides and a whole lot of upside. 

I think any high traffic area such as locker rooms, benches, or even the retail pro shops in rinks are perfect locations for spreading C19. Any high traffic area where people are not maintaining proper social distancing or cant maintain proper social distancing are going to be "hot spots." If the locker rooms were cleaned after every use (as they are supposed to be) and the rinks installed UV lighting in them I think that might help as well.  

I contracted C19 many months ago and thankfully for me, the symptoms were very mild. I locked myself down for a few weeks at home in bed and once I felt well enough for multiple days went and got tested to verify I was no longer contagious and that I had the antibodies in my system. 

As such, I haven't been too concerned about being around C19 so my life has been pretty much back to normal. I still wear a mask and practice social distancing, out of respect to others, but I am not afraid of getting sick anymore.