Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
fliteskates

Black label Renfrew tape

I’ve been searching on this topic for awhile, but most posts seem to be from 7-8 years ago.

Can anyone tell me if they still make the black label Renfrew tape?

I recently found an old roll I bought way back and immediately noticed a difference when I hit the ice.

The grip was amazing and it was some of the best tape I ever used... almost like I waxed my blade.

The roll I have looks to be 1.5 x 30 and it feels pretty gritty, with a black label. It looks like IW, Pure Hockey etc just sell a green label version.

I assume the roll I have is different version because most of the Renfrew tape I’ve used in the past was pretty smooth and not very grippy.

Edited by fliteskates

1 hour ago, fliteskates said:

The roll I have looks to be 1.5 x 30 and it feels pretty gritty, with a black label.

Sounds to me like you're talking about friction tape.

Friction doesn't come in 1.5" - it comes in either 3/4" or 1".

I remember Renfrew had that black core - was supposed to be their premium offering.  Not sure if they still offer it.

39 minutes ago, JR Boucicaut said:

Friction doesn't come in 1.5" - it comes in either 3/4" or 1".

I remember Renfrew had that black core - was supposed to be their premium offering.  Not sure if they still offer it.

Ya I figured it was some kind of premium brand.

I looked on the Renfrew site and they only have green labels.

Figures I find great tape and they don’t make it anymore.

Never heard of the black label, but their standard black with the green core is garbage. The glue on the tape sticks onto the fabric that it's roller on and it's a complete mess. Their white I like a lot though, even moreso than Howie's. 

1 hour ago, JR Boucicaut said:

They no longer offer it. 

13 hours ago, fliteskates said:

I’ve been searching on this topic for awhile, but most posts seem to be from 7-8 years ago.

Can anyone tell me if they still make the black label Renfrew tape?

I recently found an old roll I bought way back and immediately noticed a difference when I hit the ice.

The grip was amazing and it was some of the best tape I ever used... almost like I waxed my blade.

The roll I have looks to be 1.5 x 30 and it feels pretty gritty, with a black label. It looks like IW, Pure Hockey etc just sell a green label version.

I assume the roll I have is different version because most of the Renfrew tape I’ve used in the past was pretty smooth and not very grippy.

Did it look like this?

rs.php?path=FT-BK-1.jpg

On 7/13/2020 at 4:02 PM, fliteskates said:

Ya the label looks exactly like that, but that looks to be a 1 in roll and mine is 1.5 in.

Ive seen a few stores who still have some stock left of that tape ina 1.5" width. I dont think they make it anymore though. 

12 hours ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

Ive seen a few stores who still have some stock left of that tape ina 1.5" width. I dont think they make it anymore though. 

Thx for the reply. Do you mean they don’t make the black label at all anymore, or just in 1.5?

I think I’ve found some on EBay, but eventually the well will run dry if they stop producing it.

It’s unfortunate because that tape had some serious grip like I’ve never seen in any other brand of cloth tape.

Guess I’ll just have to go back to using wax.

Edited by fliteskates

9 hours ago, fliteskates said:

Thx for the reply. Do you mean they don’t make the black label at all anymore, or just in 1.5?

I think I’ve found some on EBay, but eventually the well will run dry if they stop producing it.

It’s unfortunate because that tape had some serious grip like I’ve never seen in any other brand of cloth tape.

Guess I’ll just have to go back to using wax.

Check out Sportstape 1.5".