Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
cause4alarm

KAV custom helmet

5 hours ago, Hills said:

Also need something more from than from Hockey Tutorial

2 hours ago, JR Boucicaut said:

Maybe that's all they could afford.

Do we have an issue with Hockey Tutorial, or just the level of expertise, (or lack thereof) in their endorsement?  I don't know much about him, other than he's basically a guy from The UK, with relatively novice skills, that makes hockey related videos.

13 hours ago, Hills said:

Also need something more from than from Hockey Tutorial

What?  You don't enjoy informercials starring Hockey Tutorial...🤣

7 hours ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

I need to see the proven science and studies behind the design.... I dont know if I could ever get over how ugly it looks though. 

The issue here is that with studies such as Virginia Tech, and HECC certification, people will dispute their validity for all sorts of reasons. Be it "the impacts tested don't accurately represent my sport", to "If it can't promise concussion prevention then why have a score?".

These guys have made a helmet that is HECC-Certified, and supposedly is more comfortable due to it being form fitting and with with a more gel-like substance for the inner liner. The tech certainly seems interesting, but if pro players aren't making the switch, for whom this has no cost implications, then I don't see myself doing so at $500 a pop.

Their website says its "warrantied" for 5 years, I'd like to see the asterisks put on that warranty.

2 hours ago, cause4alarm said:

Saw two replies mentioning data and proven science--what are some of the evidence out there regarding current helmet technologies?

Are you excited about MIPS?

There is no logic in this statement.  If others don’t have data then the new player doesn’t need data?  Come on...  They are implying they reduce concussions, show me the evidence.

I remember when people were touting concussion reducing mouthguards (there was a lady on here years and years ago making that argument) with no evidence. If you make a claim and then charge a premium, I want some data.  Even data that is debatable is better than nothing, especially if the data is looked at without an agenda.

• Like 3

I find the CCM helmet fits my head pretty well since the 90s. My latest model, Fitlite, has that dial in the back to further tighten it down or loosen it, while I'm on the bench if I need to.

I'll just say it... How many of us have anything in our heads that's worth $500 to protect? C'mon, an old jofa should be sufficient.

(I'm kidding, just relax)

1 hour ago, Miller55 said:

I'll just say it... How many of us have anything in our heads that's worth $500 to protect? C'mon, an old jofa should be sufficient.

(I'm kidding, just relax)

If there was any evidence that a $500 helmet was better than the $175 helmet I wear now, as far as protecting my brain, then I would spend it. Hell, goalie masks cost a whole hell of a lot more than that. 

• Like 1

On 7/15/2020 at 4:38 AM, BenBreeg said:

There is no logic in this statement.  If others don’t have data then the new player doesn’t need data?  Come on...  They are implying they reduce concussions, show me the evidence.

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but your response seems oddly confrontational when it seems like we'd both agree that evidence is good.

1 hour ago, cause4alarm said:

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but your response seems oddly confrontational when it seems like we'd both agree that evidence is good.

Possibly misinterpreted your statement, and I apologize if it came off as confrontational, I was challenging what I perceived to be your argument that since others don’t publish data, why should this company?  I don’t know exactly what data is out there for the bulk of the helmets we wear, at least from the manufacturers, but this helmet is telling some story about concussions and using buzzwords like machine learning and advanced polymers.  Everything implies they have made a helmet that reduces concussions.  Just using advanced materials doesn’t mean performance is better.  So, just like some other threads where some of us are asking for a little bit of data before buying into the high-priced new stuff that is coming out, this should be held to the same standard.

• Like 1

No worries. Glad I understand you better too. 

Reminds me of when Cascade claimed to have superior protection. Then Bauer refuted it. And then Bauer bought them.

Maybe custom helmets are too new for any data/evidence to exist but I’m hoping that it catches on enough that we can at least begin to study it. 

Maybe this feature will come out from the big brands soon?