Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Goro

Bauer Supreme 3S fitted in store felt good - feel too big on ice

22 minutes ago, Goro said:

I wore the Supreme one in a 7.5 starting in I think 2012...so that could be why the new scan had me at an 8. I'm going to try the 8s with thicker socks, and I'll go back to to try on a 7.5 fit 2 also. 

I think the best lesson learned here is to try on everthing until you find a few that seem like contenders. Then, try those on again. Then, do it again. Repeat until you have eliminated all of the fits and sizes. I even recommend trying on multiple brands of skates. CCM may fit better than Bauer and vice versa.

It kills me when players come into the store and request a Vapor/Jetspeed becuase they think they are slow if they wear a Supreme/Tacks. 

Damn marketing ruining people minds!

The player then tries on only two pairs of Vapor skates and even when we tell them they are in the wrong fit, size, width or skate mode they insist its the perfect fit for them and wont accept any feedback. We bake the skates and then 1 month later they come back with a pissed off parent saying the skate doesnt fit the player properly. I then show them I have it documented in our systems notes that we recommened to them that skate fit was wrong and they wanted the skates anyway.... 

This is why I have always liked CCM offering that 90 day satisfaction guarantee. It really bails out shops like our in situation likes this. 

Edited by SkateWorksPNW
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

I think the best lesson learned here is to try on everthing until you find a few that seem like contenders. Then, try those on again. Then, do it again. Repeat until you have eliminated all of the fits and sizes. I even recommend trying on multiple brands of skates. CCM may fit better than Bauer and vice versa.

It kills me when players come into the store and request a Vapor/Jetspeed becuase they think they are slow if they wear a Supreme/Tacks. 

The player then tries on only two pairs of Vapor skates and even when we tell them they are in the wrong fit, size, width or skate mode they insist its the perfect fit for them and wont accept any feedback. We bake the skates and then 1 month later they come back with a pissed off parent saying the skate doesnt fit the player properly. I then show them I have it documented in our systems notes that we recommened to them that skate fit was wrong and they wanted the skates anyway.... 

This is why I have always liked CCM offering that 90 day satisfaction guarantee. It really bails out shops like our in situation likes this. 

Oh yeah for sure. I did that. I tried on the similarly priced Tacks (the ankle was just too weird for me), the supreme 7.5s, the supreme 8s, the 7.5s again, the different fits of size 8 supremes twice, . The Supremes felt perfect. I was there for 2 hours trying on skates. 

2 hours ago, Goro said:

I have superfeet in the 8s now, but you're right they aren't helping the sizing. 

I said POWERFEET not Superfeet.  Big difference.  Powerfeet are the thick pads that go on the top of the toe box and help to reduce negative space above the toes.  It also helps your toes from sliding around.  Can make a touch long skate feel better.

Also, did you bake with the Superfeet in the 3S?  Or did you bake with stock insole/Speedplates.  Superfeet will lift your arches, and cause your whole foot to "shorten" in length a touch.  If you baked with stock insoles/Speedplates and they felt good, but then you put in Superfeet, they're going to possibly feel a touch longer and give you more room in the toebox.

1 hour ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

I've seen this SO many times.  Kids refusing to wear any skate but Bauer, cause all the other kids are wearing Bauer.  It's gotten a little better in recent years though, now that CCM has improved their skate lines and marketing.

7 minutes ago, shoot_the_goalie said:

I said POWERFEET not Superfeet.  Big difference.  Powerfeet are the thick pads that go on the top of the toe box and help to reduce negative space above the toes.  It also helps your toes from sliding around.  Can make a touch long skate feel better.

Also, did you bake with the Superfeet in the 3S?  Or did you bake with stock insole/Speedplates.  Superfeet will lift your arches, and cause your whole foot to "shorten" in length a touch.  If you baked with stock insoles/Speedplates and they felt good, but then you put in Superfeet, they're going to possibly feel a touch longer and give you more room in the toebox.

Sorry, my mistake. I baked with the superfeet in. 

3 hours ago, psulion22 said:

Also, here's a good test to check for length.  Put the skate on and kneel down with your toes pointing towards the floor.  Tap the toe of the skates on the floor until your toes just brush the inside of the toe cap but are comfortable.  Then see how much room there is in the heel.  It helps if you can have another person do that for you.  There shouldn't be too much space.  Maybe a pencil should be able to fit behind your achilles with less behind the heel.  If you can fit a finger in there or a pencil isn't getting much resistance, then they are too long.  With new skates in a shop, it's sometimes hard to get a feel for the length because the ankle padding is so thick and form fits so much when baking.  What feels like too small, will lengthen out when baked.  This test is a good one for unbaked skates because you'd be able to tell if the heel is seated properly.  If there isn't much space behind the heel, and the toes are still tight, then the skate is too small.  But if there is space behind the heel, the skate may be the right size, and the tightness will go away after baking and being able to push the heel back further.

Okay I put on my skate and knelt, tapped the toe so it was just touching the inside of the toe cap. A pen fit behind my achilles quite easily with no resistance, got some resistance at the heel. 

Edited by Goro

7 minutes ago, Goro said:

Okay I tied my skate and knelt, tapped the toe so it was just touching the inside of the toe cap. A pen fit behind my achilles quite easily with no resistance, got some resistance at the heel. 

That's about how mine fit and they're the right size.  A pen fits in pretty easily past my achilles until it hits my heel.  Then there's resistance and it won't go all the way in to touch the bottom.

The problem would be that if you're not quite that tight, you're probably between sizes.  So either you'll have to stretch a 7.5, which might be difficult, or wear thinner/no socks, and it still might be snug.  Or you'll have to wear thicker socks or find something to fill the space.

1 hour ago, psulion22 said:

That's about how mine fit and they're the right size.  A pen fits in pretty easily past my achilles until it hits my heel.  Then there's resistance and it won't go all the way in to touch the bottom.

The problem would be that if you're not quite that tight, you're probably between sizes.  So either you'll have to stretch a 7.5, which might be difficult, or wear thinner/no socks, and it still might be snug.  Or you'll have to wear thicker socks or find something to fill the space.

Shrink wrap method after a bake, like with trues. 

The problem with traditional baking is that the boot will relax from the heat and when tied up there still may be negative space. The shape of the boot will conform to the shape of your feet but may not eliminate the neg space. It's almost as if the boot has to be or feel too tight pre bake. And the baking process itself will make it fit snug and perfect.

The shrink wrap method keeps the boot locked onto your foot as it cools

I took them back and the shop agreed to exchange. I tried on the 7.5 fit 1 and 2, but couldn't decide as It was closing time so i'm going back tomorrow to make the decision. The 7.5 fit 1 had a lot of pressure on the bottom outside of my right (bigger) foot

Edited by Goro

1 hour ago, Goro said:

I took them back and the shop agreed to exchange. I tried on the 7.5 fit 1 and 2, but couldn't decide as It was closing time so i'm going back tomorrow to make the decision. The 7.5 fit 1 had a lot of pressure on the bottom outside of my right (bigger) foot

Fit 1 is too narrow for your forefoot.

Not if its fitting ok for the rest of the foot. If it's just the outside of a forefoot, he would be much better placed to get the boot stretched to meet that forefoot size and still have a good fit everywhere else. I just don't get why people go up in size when it hurts "here". Fix the "here" and keep the good fit everywhere else.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Goro said:

Oh yeah for sure. I did that. I tried on the similarly priced Tacks (the ankle was just too weird for me), the supreme 7.5s, the supreme 8s, the 7.5s again, the different fits of size 8 supremes twice, . The Supremes felt perfect. I was there for 2 hours trying on skates. 

Did u try the jetspeed skates? Maybe you should in a d and ee just to see. Also, did they have any left over stock of the 2s or 2s pro?

Good thing about CCM is that they offer the 90 day satisfaction gaurantee. I'd be surprised if you got another pair of Bauer skates that the store would allow you to exchange it again if you weren't happy with the fit. 

Edited by Sniper9
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Vet88 said:

Not if its fitting ok for the rest of the foot. If it's just the outside of a forefoot, he would be much better placed to get the boot stretched to meet that forefoot size and still have a good fit everywhere else. I just don't get why people go up in size when it hurts "here". Fix the "here" and keep the good fit everywhere else.

Depends. If the fit 2 is not too loose in the heel. I personally lean away from stretching or punching if it can be avoided. But you're right, I should have said "fit 1 might be too narrow." 

8 hours ago, Vet88 said:

Because they don't know any better and neither do the people helping them, sometimes. 

Ultimately went with the 7.5 fit 1. Tried them on again today and the pressure wasn't enough to give up the snugness in the ankle in going to the fit 2. Baked them with superfeet and they felt good. The guy said if it comes to it we can bake again or even punch out the pressure points.

Thanks everybody

Edited by Goro
typo
  • Like 2

That's interesting. You said you've worn Supremes for a while, but now you're in fit 1. This makes me really curious to try on these three fits and see what the difference really is. I would have guessed that it was similar to the three fits that used to be three separate lines, but it seems like that's not the case. And they aren't offering different widths anymore? Just d?

The guy in the shop said everything is very generalized now with the 3 fits and no different widths, D and EE are gone. It's just boot volume now. Vapor is slightly less volume than Supreme but you can get a similar fit in both apparently. The dudes in the shop I dealt with said they haven't totally figured out the 3 fit system yet and there's more nuance now, but they said always go with a fit 1 if you can. 

1 hour ago, Goro said:

The dudes in the shop I dealt with said they haven't totally figured out the 3 fit system yet

That's pretty evident from this thread lol. 

Did they say why fit 1 is their preference?

4 minutes ago, Miller55 said:

That's pretty evident from this thread lol. 

Did they say why fit 1 is their preference?

Just because you always want the tightest fit (least volume) without causing pain. For more control etc

Edited by Goro

1 hour ago, Goro said:

Just because you always want the tightest fit (least volume) without causing pain. For more control etc

Oh yeah that was dumb lol. In my mind I keep equating fit 1 with vapor and just automatically assuming I'd be a fit 2 because I wear supreme. I guess this is really a different approach to fitting skates. I hope it works out better for people

5 hours ago, Goro said:

The dudes in the shop I dealt with said they haven't totally figured out the 3 fit system yet and there's more nuance now, but they said always go with a fit 1 if you can. 

Hope this shop is nowhere near me...

24 minutes ago, mojo122 said:

Hope this shop is nowhere near me...

This shop is seriously lost. They need to spend some time with their Bauer rep to understand the FIT system better. 

I wear a pretty standard 7.5D/A in Supreme/Tacks and a 7.5E/A in Vapor/Jetspeed. For me, that easily translated into a FIT2 with Bauer in both the Vapor and Supreme top of the line skates.

Others might have a foot that is more narrow, yet tall (or needing more volume), they could technically be between a FIT1 and a FIT2, which means they still might need to take into consideration the skate design and even the specific skate model. For example, tier-three Bauer skates come in the FIT system but will have thinner tongues and padding. Thus they will have slightly more volume as compared to tier-one skates. 

If you tried on both a Vapor and Supreme tier-one skate in the same FIT you would notice they fit somewhat similar but one is still going to feel better for a player than the other. This could be due to the Vapor asymmetrical design vs the Supreme symmetrical design. One skate having more/less padding, the padding type, tongue design, toe cap, footbeds, among many other variables. 

To put this in perspective. I tried on the top three Supreme skates in both FIT1 and FIT2. In the top two models FIT2 fit better, but the tier-three skate felt better in a FIT1. 

I think the FIT system adds some good things to the mix but also causes a lot of confusion too. Its almost like they need to be able to offer skates in a true 3D fit, length, width and depth. Select your model, forefoot width, heel width, length, and volume.... wait... they do offer that. Its called custom. 

😉

Edited by SkateWorksPNW

46 minutes ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

This shop is seriously lost. They need to spend some time with their Bauer rep to understand the FIT system better. 

I wear a pretty standard 7.5D/A in Supreme/Tacks and a 7.5E/A in Vapor/Jetspeed. For me, that easily translated into a FIT2 with Bauer in both the Vapor and Supreme top of the line skates.

Others might have a foot that is more narrow, yet tall (or needing more volume), they could technically be between a FIT1 and a FIT2, which means they still might need to take into consideration the skate design and even the specific skate model. For example, tier-three Bauer skates come in the FIT system but will have thinner tongues and padding. Thus they will have slightly more volume as compared to tier-one skates. 

If you tried on both a Vapor and Supreme tier-one skate in the same FIT you would notice they fit somewhat similar but one is still going to feel better for a player than the other. This could be due to the Vapor asymmetrical design vs the Supreme symmetrical design. One skate having more/less padding, the padding type, tongue design, toe cap, footbeds, among many other variables. 

To put this in perspective. I tried on the top three Supreme skates in both FIT1 and FIT2. In the top two models FIT2 fit better, but the tier-three skate felt better in a FIT1. 

I think the FIT system adds some good things to the mix but also causes a lot of confusion too. Its almost like they need to be able to offer skates in a true 3D fit, length, width and depth. Select your model, forefoot width, heel width, length, and volume.... wait... they do offer that. Its called custom. 

😉

Nice to see that someone knows what they're selling.

That was very helpful and makes a lot of sense.