Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Beflar

So has anyone tried the CCM AS3 Pro skate yet?

2 hours ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

I have it. What would you like to know? 

Weight?

Is it so stiff that it digs into the leg to much?  Does the rubber on the top help?

Is the toe box too snug?

Is the bottom of the boot thicker to provide a better anchor to mount the holder?

What was it like before and after you heat molded it?  Does heat molding it change the bottom of the boot also because it wraps 360?  Would standing up during the heat mold destroy the skate?

What does it smell like? (just kidding)

Thanks.

11 hours ago, Beflar said:

Weight?

Is it so stiff that it digs into the leg to much?  Does the rubber on the top help?

Is the toe box too snug?

Is the bottom of the boot thicker to provide a better anchor to mount the holder?

What was it like before and after you heat molded it?  Does heat molding it change the bottom of the boot also because it wraps 360?  Would standing up during the heat mold destroy the skate?

What does it smell like? (just kidding)

Thanks.

Mine weigh 983g per skate in a size 7.5. Thse are custom skates so they have clarino liners, added foams and I also use Flare steel. Just holding them in hand vs the retail skates you can feel they weigh slightly heavier.  

The skate is very stiff. Significantly stiffer than the AS1 unless you had previously ordered customer AS1 skate before and requested the X-Stiff or XX-Stiff option. You can alter the stiffness options on the skates at the following sections:

aDRf37T.png

The comfort guards help a lot. I actually went with the enhanced comfort pads which add an extra 3mm. 

Toe box is fine for me. I still use powerfoot inserts in it. Some people say the new XS tongue created some pressure for them on the tops of their toes where it joins the toe cap. I dont have this issue.

Bottom of the boot is no thicker or thinner than the previous year. 

Before molding the skate it was insanely stiff. Once baked it becomes much more pliable and thermoformable. I think these actually are more thermo reactive than the AS1, very similar to the FT2. I would not stand while baking them as you put pressure on the eyelets and will likely damage the boot. 

They smell expensive. 

Edited by SkateWorksPNW
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Bizz22 said:

Is there a spec sheet available for the custom plus skate options? One that explains all the liner and ankle pad options?

Not that I have been able to track down. Plus CCM let go of almost all of the FAST reps so finding people who really know that stuff front to back is difficult to come across. 

Ill see if I can get one of the WHL reps to share some information with me that is public knowledge. 

1 hour ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

Not that I have been able to track down. Plus CCM let go of almost all of the FAST reps so finding people who really know that stuff front to back is difficult to come across. 

Ill see if I can get one of the WHL reps to share some information with me that is public knowledge. 

That would be great. I have a kid coming in for full customs tomorrow and haven't heard anything back from CCM. 

On ‎7‎/‎15‎/‎2020 at 9:08 AM, SkateWorksPNW said:

Mine weigh 983g per skate in a size 7.5. Thse are custom skates so they have clarino liners, added foams and I also use Flare steel. Just holding them in hand vs the retail skates you can feel they weigh slightly heavier.  

The skate is very stiff. Significantly stiffer than the AS1 unless you had previously ordered customer AS1 skate before and requested the X-Stiff or XX-Stiff option. You can alter the stiffness options on the skates at the following sections:

aDRf37T.png

The comfort guards help a lot. I actually went with the enhanced comfort pads which add an extra 3mm. 

Toe box is fine for me. I still use powerfoot inserts in it. Some people say the new XS tongue created some pressure for them on the tops of their toes where it joins the toe cap. I dont have this issue.

Bottom of the boot is no thicker or thinner than the previous year. 

Before molding the skate it was insanely stiff. Once baked it becomes much more pliable and thermoformable. I think these actually are more thermo reactive than the AS1, very similar to the FT2. I would not stand while baking them as you put pressure on the eyelets and will likely damage the boot. 

They smell expensive. 

I forgot one question.  Do you like them?  Why or why not?

I just bought a pair of AS3 Pro & I find them to fit on the smaller side. I wear a 5.5 EE Super Tacks but had to go up to a size 6 EE. I also find them to have less volume. I agreed that they are super stiff. I thought they were suppose to come with orthomove insoles but mine had ortholite in them. That don't matter I will be replacing the insole regardless

I have a question for @SkateWorksPNW. I am experiencing that issue with the new XS tongue where it connects to the toe box there is no space & the pressure from the top. Is there a way to stretch or punch that out? Will it get better after baking?I was thinking of taking a heat gun to it to heat it up then stuff it as much as I can with balled up newspaper to stretch it out & let it cool. Think that will stretch it out? 

7 hours ago, 2minRoughin said:

I thought they were suppose to come with orthomove insoles but mine had ortholite in them. That don't matter I will be replacing the insole regardless

I have a question for @SkateWorksPNW. I am experiencing that issue with the new XS tongue where it connects to the toe box there is no space & the pressure from the top. Is there a way to stretch or punch that out? Will it get better after baking?I was thinking of taking a heat gun to it to heat it up then stuff it as much as I can with balled up newspaper to stretch it out & let it cool. Think that will stretch it out? 

The AS3 Pro no longer comes with the Orthomove insoles.

We have had a lot of people have issues in the same place and unfortunately there doesnt seem to be an easy fix for it other than removing the tongue and shaving down the inside area thinning it out. 

On 7/17/2020 at 5:54 PM, Beflar said:

I forgot one question.  Do you like them?  Why or why not?

I do like them.. but they have their pros and cons. These are my personal likes and dislikes for the retail model. Others may have their own opinions. 

Positives: 

• Lots of padding and very plush compared to FT1/FT2 and AS1
  • Updated liner is more durable 
  • New composite seems more thermoformable
  • XS holder is great
  • Love the swappable tongue
  • Fit seems to be slightly modified to be even closer to the foot and more anatomical 
  • Happy that CCM is again offering the 90 day satisfaction guarantee 

Negatives:

• Costly
  • May be too stiff for some players 
  • I think clarino liners should be standard for retail skates at this price point 
  • Heavier than previous generations 
  • CCM should not have eliminated the Orthomove insoles 
  • CCM should include STEP steel from the factory instead of having to do a mail in rebate 

Overall, they are fantastic but are quite costly. If you are a very strong skater or a larger indiviidual these are a great skate but I would not recommend them for smaller individuals or those that are not advanced players. The boot is incredibly stiff and could result in players not properly developing the correct skating form as the boot has very little flex and it not forgiving. For those players who are strong they will be happy to know the skate does exactly what you want immediately without any delay. These feel even more connected to your feet than any of the previous generations.