Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

5 hours ago, clarkiestooth said:

Is it my imagination, or does that  ND guy's  bubble look abnormally large? 

Given how college players wear their stuff, I think the weirder thing is that the other kid’s cage isn’t two sizes too big.....

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, mtn said:

It isn't being worn correctly - it should be flush with the J-Hooks. It is likely slightly too large, but it would be much better if it was tighter. 

This, an also I think it's partly an illusion with how he's pulling his chin back and down, sort of pushing the bubble outwards.  I bought that bubble once and it's definitely not big lol, the larger size fits like a medium CCM cage which is generally smaller than the Bauer medium cage, I had to return mine because it was just way too small (I wear a medium Bauer cage normally and am between a medium and large CCM cage).

As for the gold... I love it, it's gaudy and obnoxious just like Las Vegas, it wouldn't work for any other team.

• Like 1

The bubble not fitting right isn't an illusion...

So many like 12-20s that have to still wear one wear it as far from their mouth as possible. I've seen a bunch that tighten the top bolts so it doesn't swing either and stays in place, they slide their head in so it looks like that. Often times their chin is totally exposed under the bubble. It has their desired look and "cool" factor.

3 hours ago, mtn said:

It isn't being worn correctly - it should be flush with the J-Hooks. It is likely slightly too large, but it would be much better if it was tighter. 

You would think they'd have a better equipment manager...

4 minutes ago, mojo122 said:

You would think they'd have a better equipment manager...

That’s an interesting idea, how much say do EMs have about safety vs just doing what is requested for feel. 

17 minutes ago, start_today said:

That’s an interesting idea, how much say do EMs have about safety vs just doing what is requested for feel. 

At this level, where most of the players probably played 1-2 years in juniors with only a visor... They're probably going to do what is requested for feel. As a referee who officiates a lot of high school where players are going to go on to beer league or ACHA D2 at best, I really wish that this wasn't the case. 

EDIT: What I mean is that the highschoolers want to look like the college players. But the high schoolers are not former junior players. Even though some of them are, the vast majority are not, which makes it pretty dangerous. And USAH doesn't define what "as designed" is very well. I've had this complaint before, but I really wish that they'd add "the facemask should be flush with the J-Hooks" into the rules. 

Edited by mtn

3 hours ago, mtn said:

At this level, where most of the players probably played 1-2 years in juniors with only a visor... They're probably going to do what is requested for feel. As a referee who officiates a lot of high school where players are going to go on to beer league or ACHA D2 at best, I really wish that this wasn't the case. 

EDIT: What I mean is that the highschoolers want to look like the college players. But the high schoolers are not former junior players. Even though some of them are, the vast majority are not, which makes it pretty dangerous. And USAH doesn't define what "as designed" is very well. I've had this complaint before, but I really wish that they'd add "the facemask should be flush with the J-Hooks" into the rules. 

As an older player I've gone from starting organized hockey at age 4 with no face covering, then wearing a cage, then a half shield in junior and beer league.  I've tried going back to a cage, (and still want to) but can't find one that fits properly.  For me, the floating chin cup is a problem because every time I open my mouth, it pushes the cage down, which moves my helmet down.  I spend the whole game pushing my helmet back into position.  Never had that problem with the old cages that had the chin cup attached to the cage.  Only way I can wear a cage with a floating chin cup would be to "hang" it, which I refuse to do because it defeats the purpose of wearing a cage.

4 hours ago, mtn said:

Now doubt. You see it with a lot of Tier I players too. Per Rule 304 (g) of the USA Hockey rule book, you can technically give a 10-min misconduct after a warning but I've never cared to go to that extent. I'd imagine the same thing applies to USA Junior Hockey games for those who wear a bubble/cage.

image.thumb.png.2548321b4b1b989c096765f1167e4ee9.png

Same thing with the NCAA Rulebook (which would apply to ACHA):

image.png.7ab1adc412766ee42b4916bc5416a36b.png

It's mad dangerous to have the "floating" bubble/cage but I've never once enforced the rule during my 9 years of officiating unless its some form of playoff hockey. And even then, I've just dished out warnings. 

56 minutes ago, 215BroadStBullies610 said:

Now doubt. You see it with a lot of Tier I players too. Per Rule 304 (g) of the USA Hockey rule book, you can technically give a 10-min misconduct after a warning but I've never cared to go to that extent. I'd imagine the same thing applies to USA Junior Hockey games for those who wear a bubble/cage.

image.thumb.png.2548321b4b1b989c096765f1167e4ee9.png

Same thing with the NCAA Rulebook (which would apply to ACHA):

image.png.7ab1adc412766ee42b4916bc5416a36b.png

It's mad dangerous to have the "floating" bubble/cage but I've never once enforced the rule during my 9 years of officiating unless its some form of playoff hockey. And even then, I've just dished out warnings. 

The problem is, you can’t define “in the manner for which it is defined”. 

Acha, I wouldn’t call it. Probably ever. They’re 18, and the level is at least high enough that I’m not all that worried. But high school? You’ll get some that don’t know where their sticks are going. 

I have called it once in HS. I told this kid that he needed to fix his helmet. He told me it was the way it was supposed to be. I told him, with his coach listening, that if it came off he was getting a misconduct without any chance of discussion. Sure enough, it went flying halfway through and he sat for 10. 

2 hours ago, mtn said:

The problem is, you can’t define “in the manner for which it is defined”. 

Acha, I wouldn’t call it. Probably ever. They’re 18, and the level is at least high enough that I’m not all that worried. But high school? You’ll get some that don’t know where their sticks are going. 

I have called it once in HS. I told this kid that he needed to fix his helmet. He told me it was the way it was supposed to be. I told him, with his coach listening, that if it came off he was getting a misconduct without any chance of discussion. Sure enough, it went flying halfway through and he sat for 10. 

You absolutely can define "...in the matter for which it was designed." Any chin cup is suppose to cup the player's chin haha. Having the bubble/cage floating obviously leaves the chin cup-less. But yea, I'd only make that call if some kid(s) is being more than difficult haha.  

11 hours ago, boo10 said:

As an older player I've gone from starting organized hockey at age 4 with no face covering, then wearing a cage, then a half shield in junior and beer league.  I've tried going back to a cage, (and still want to) but can't find one that fits properly.  For me, the floating chin cup is a problem because every time I open my mouth, it pushes the cage down, which moves my helmet down.  I spend the whole game pushing my helmet back into position.  Never had that problem with the old cages that had the chin cup attached to the cage.  Only way I can wear a cage with a floating chin cup would be to "hang" it, which I refuse to do because it defeats the purpose of wearing a cage.

What I did is twist the straps bringing in the slack before clipping them to the helmet. I wear a bubble for my own safety, couldn't give a fuck about being chirped. I'm 5 foot 6. Going into corners means sticks and elbows to the face. That don't get called.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Left Wing King said:

What I did is twist the straps bringing in the slack before clipping them to the helmet. I wear a bubble for my own safety, couldn't give a fuck about being chirped. I'm 5 foot 6. Going into corners means sticks and elbows to the face. That don't get called.

That actually sounds like a good idea.  I'll have to give that a try.  The bars are going to annoy me for a game or two, but I know I will adjust quickly enough.  I tell all the young guys to leave the cage on since they're already used to it.

I started wearing a bubble after my college cage started to rust out during my first couple of years after graduating. Since I was use to wearing a visor all the time due to officiating, going to the bubble made sense. I don't remember ever getting chirped but I know its something that I've seen people get chriped about 🙄. I don't care to get my face messed up with over men's league. And since I play at multiple levels, you can't always expect people to know where to place their stick and/or body parts haha.

Edited by 215BroadStBullies610
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, boo10 said:

That actually sounds like a good idea.  I'll have to give that a try.  The bars are going to annoy me for a game or two, but I know I will adjust quickly enough.  I tell all the young guys to leave the cage on since they're already used to it.

I still have enough room to be able to talk and shout etc but the chin cup isn't flapping about loose.

They are going to look like that for sure. The graphics might be a bit different and minor tweaks, but that is definitely the idea of it. Just not down to the minutiae. The basic idea is all there though, no xribs, toe cap, tendon guard. Not sure if the tongue is final, as well as the graphics.

From what I understand they just know it is going to get leaked and they want to save some element of novelty for the release, which you can do by just changing the graphics package

Edited by Miller55
  • Like 1

On 2/28/2021 at 1:55 PM, Allu said:

Does someone know how new vapor skates are going to be different than 2x pro? Does @PBH know something yet?

Take this with a pinch of salt, the source being a translated Russian site, though it appears to be the genuine marketing blurb.

Main thing is a change to the tongue, appears to be made of the same Aerofoam found in other Vapor line gear (think 1X Lite shoulder pads)

Same Liner as before, no speed plates, still not one piece boot.

Really marginally different, but I may have missed something, and that tongue doesn't make me any more interested in the boots.