Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

38 minutes ago, JAY4114 said:

Can anyone comment if STX sticks’ flex is softer like Bauer or stiffer like ccm? Also can someone give feedback on their gloves and shin pads?

Regarding their stick flex I covered it recently in a review of the RX3 I posted on this site. I found it to be whippier than the marked flex and is closer to what it says when cut off roughly 2.5". Compared to other brands it's in-between.

I also have a pair of RX3 gloves and while they do not stand out, the material they use in the high-wear zones in the palms have been fantastic. Additionally, they are quite comfy, the hands stay cool and dry quickly. If you happen to have any more specific questions I'll be glad to answer, but if you need gloves soon you wouldn't miss out if you opt for other higb end gloves.

Edited by nutters

I thought I posted something but it doesn’t seem to be showing up on my end. @nutters Could you comment on if the thumb on the gloves are moveable like a lacrosse glove? And also is the sizing accurate? I watched a review that said the gloves were bigger than the size that was listed on them.

If anything, I feel like STX gloves are a we bit smaller than listed. I have some low end Stallions for shooting outside, and the 15”s are more like 14.5 or 14.75, and I’ve seen other people make the same comments. Mine are previous model year, but they have the flex thumb, as opposed to rigid straight thumb. 

15 minutes ago, JAY4114 said:

I thought I posted something but it doesn’t seem to be showing up on my end. @nutters Could you comment on if the thumb on the gloves are moveable like a lacrosse glove? And also is the sizing accurate? I watched a review that said the gloves were bigger than the size that was listed on them.

They thumbs are very flexible and have little to no restriction. My gloves are 15" and I'd sat they're slightly longer maybe 15.25" it's really the fingers where you'll notice that difference the most. Whatever the size you'd normally go with stick with that

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JAY4114 said:

STX currently has the best mobility for thumbs on the market besides the 3 piece Bauers which are evidently going away (not on the 2X Pro).

• Like 1

13 hours ago, nutters said:

Regarding their stick flex I covered it recently in a review of the RX3 I posted on this site. I found it to be whippier than the marked flex and is closer to what it says when cut off roughly 2.5". Compared to other brands it's in-between.

I also have a pair of RX3 gloves and while they do not stand out, the material they use in the high-wear zones in the palms have been fantastic. Additionally, they are quite comfy, the hands stay cool and dry quickly. If you happen to have any more specific questions I'll be glad to answer, but if you need gloves soon you wouldn't miss out if you opt for other higb end gloves.

Do you remember how tall the stick’s standing height was?

STX is quality stuff. The gloves are pretty nice, definitely superior to the other offerings in that price range. They are built well but there are definitely details that aren't premium. Sizing always confused me. The old surgeon gloves foyr tight, which I liked, but the rx3 felt looser. Pro stock STX is great ime.

Sticks are really nice. As a guy who used the Trilage for a while back in the day, I'm a sucker for a weird stick shape. I like the rx3. I don't own one, but that's mostly because I don't need one these days. When rinks open back up it will probably be the next stick I buy. Flex is a bit whippy like someone else said. Blade feel is excellent. I play d but preferred the rx3 blade to the hpr. 

• Like 1

I have no experience with the RX3 gloves, but love the STX Surgeon 500 gloves I own (both retail and pro stock). The thumb is very flexible/mobile, it's tight in the fingers (triple split with the exception of the pinky) and backhand, but opens up nicely in the cuff. I've read, in this thread and others, that the RX3 isn't quite as tight as the Surgeon 500, but the Surgeon 500s are very snug everywhere except the backrolls. The pro stock gloves have a much cleaner look than the retail gloves as they have less branding and are all nylon/tufftek instead of a mix of materials. 

As for sizing, I wear a 14" Surgeon 500 and used 14" Easton HSX and Warrior Projekt gloves in the past. The Surgeon 500 have less volume, but fit similarly lengthwise. So for me, they're try to size, but have a snug fit which I prefer. If you like a snug/tapered glove, grab Surgeons, but if you want a glove with more volume then look at the Stallion HPR line. 

Edited by althoma1

7 hours ago, nutters said:

X92 before being cut stands at 66".

Would you happen to know a bauer stick’s standing height? Or if it is shorter or taller than a bauer stick?

Edited by JAY4114

Would you happen to know a bauer stick’s standing height? Or if it is shorter or taller than a bauer stick?

So I checked and I cut 3" not 2.5" but I still have the piece I chopped off and the top to heel is 59". Bauer sticks online are listed at 60", so same curves I believe Bauer is a tad longer.

22 minutes ago, nutters said:

So I checked and I cut 3" not 2.5" but I still have the piece I chopped off and the top to heel is 59". Bauer sticks online are listed at 60", so same curves I believe Bauer is a tad longer.

Ok cuz I know ccm is longer than bauer and that is too long for me or too stiff if I cut it. Thanks for checking!

56 minutes ago, JAY4114 said:

Ok cuz I know ccm is longer than bauer and that is too long for me or too stiff if I cut it. Thanks for checking!

Really? Most CCM shafts are listed at 59" could they have changed recently as the last retail CCM was the SuperTacks, which is 4 years old.

3 minutes ago, nutters said:

Really? Most CCM shafts are listed at 59" could they have changed recently as the last retail CCM was the SuperTacks, which is 4 years old.

They’re measured differently than bauer. Actually some sticks will be a 2 inch difference. Most senior sticks are about an inch or two difference. I’ve never actually measured them together before

Edited by JAY4114

13 minutes ago, JAY4114 said:

They’re measured differently than bauer. Actually some sticks will be a 2 inch difference. Most senior sticks are about an inch or two difference. I’ve never actually measured them together before

Seems like that's the case in the higher flex sticks as Bauer's top sticks measure consistently to 60" even at 102 flex. While CCM is 59" for 75 + 85 flex, yet 62" for 95 flex. So I see what you mean. 

44 minutes ago, nutters said:

Seems like that's the case in the higher flex sticks as Bauer's top sticks measure consistently to 60" even at 102 flex. While CCM is 59" for 75 + 85 flex, yet 62" for 95 flex. So I see what you mean. 

No, even if they’re the same flex ccm is longer. It’s the same for intermediate sticks too

CCM is def longer than any other company right now. My trigger 4s I have to cut about 3 inches off whereas for true and Bauer it's about 2-2.5. I even saved the pieces I had to cut. If you don't believe me I'll post a picture up. I have my sticks all measure at 57.5" from heel to butt end. 

But yes, diff manufacturers do measure their sticks diff so 60" for one company won't be the same as another. Some measure the actual heel to the end, and some measure from the heel where it lays flat on the ground tot the end. 

Oh I believe both of you,  I initially thought he meant the sizing differences in the higher flex sticks.

I just measured sticks from each brand  I have both uncut and cut (with the ones I still have the pieces) and yes CCM is the longest. Bauer, Warrior, STX and True came in at 59", Sherwood with their fake flex free zone is 60" and CCM was 60.5". So that goes with the numbers you suggested. 

Edited by nutters

9 hours ago, nutters said:

Oh I believe both of you,  I initially thought he meant the sizing differences in the higher flex sticks.

I just measured sticks from each brand  I have both uncut and cut (with the ones I still have the pieces) and yes CCM is the longest. Bauer, Warrior, STX and True came in at 59", Sherwood with their fake flex free zone is 60" and CCM was 60.5". So that goes with the numbers you suggested. 

I’m pretty sure companies measure their sticks differently like with length, lie and flex

I’m pretty sure companies measure their sticks differently like with length, lie and flex

That's for sure, but the only thing that bothers me is the flex ratings. My midkick supertacks even cut is really whippy, while the midkick T100 with the "flex free zone" is like a steel beam (really light though) both are 75 flex. I'd even say the 85 flex RX3 gives more than that Sherwood.

4 minutes ago, nutters said:

That's for sure, but the only thing that bothers me is the flex ratings. My midkick supertacks even cut is really whippy, while the midkick T100 with the "flex free zone" is like a steel beam (really light though) both are 75 flex. I'd even say the 85 flex RX3 gives more than that Sherwood.

Have you tried a supreme against your supertacks?

14 hours ago, JAY4114 said:

Have you tried a supreme against your supertacks?

Yup, I have a price point stick from the first 1S line. It doesn't really do much for me since I'm not a power shooter and therefore find a high-midkick pointless (even though I almost bought a 2S Team). Off the ice, or practicing slappers on an empty net in warm up I'd say it has more give than the SuperTacks. Though in-game it requires more load time than a traditional mid kick.

Chiming in late but from my experience, the RX3 felt whippier than my CCM SuperTacks 2.0 and Jetspeed FT2. Their gloves feel a bit tighter (to me) over the back of the hand, but with similar room/volume everywhere else compared to Bauer Vapors.

• Like 1