Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Anybody have any experience with STX protective? Looks fine, doesn't seem special. Prices are standard, wondering if they're better than they feel

3 hours ago, Miller55 said:

Anybody have any experience with STX protective? Looks fine, doesn't seem special. Prices are standard, wondering if they're better than they feel

Have the Surgeon 3.1 elbows.  Fit is nice, they stay in place, good for men’s league/pickup, if I was playing competitively I may consider the RX3 but good enough for me.

1 hour ago, BenBreeg said:

Have the Surgeon 3.1 elbows.  Fit is nice, they stay in place, good for men’s league/pickup, if I was playing competitively I may consider the RX3 but good enough for me.

What kind of fit is it? Supposed to be snug. My forearms are very long do I need a large for length, but a medium fits nicer, just not enough coverage. I usually end up with a longer medium or a slimmer large. I'm not in the market really, but I'm curious. Thanks

8 hours ago, Miller55 said:

I picked up the Surgeon RX3 shoulder pads right at the beginning of Covid lockdown since they had a really nice sale going on (I think I paid about $80 shipped).  I have yet to use them (and prob won't til 2021 the earliest 😷) but they feel nice.  They're light and comfortable and seem to be a pretty low profile which is what I was going for (my old CCM RBZ 130's were starting to fall apart and I wanted something a little more streamlined).  For the price they seem really nice.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Miller55 said:

What kind of fit is it? Supposed to be snug. My forearms are very long do I need a large for length, but a medium fits nicer, just not enough coverage. I usually end up with a longer medium or a slimmer large. I'm not in the market really, but I'm curious. Thanks

I am tall and thin, 6’3”, 175 and they stay in place, the sleeve probably helps a bit.  They are a 3 piece and not real bulky.  I have meds.  The Surgeon are the lower profile line.

• Like 1

I have the 100 Flex RX3 stick, And i would have to say, yes it feels whippier then other brands 100 flex. I actually prefer it.

On the not trusty Australian feel o meter - id say its equiv to most brands 90-95 flex.

Which is actually perfect for me, as i find 85 flex in any brand like pool noodles.

Other gear i have is their RX3 Elbow pads - i really like them with the sleeve they have. I also have some surgeon gloves (older model) which are really snug, but comfortable as sin.

• Like 1

On 7/17/2020 at 12:36 AM, Sniper9 said:

CCM is def longer than any other company right now. My trigger 4s I have to cut about 3 inches off whereas for true and Bauer it's about 2-2.5. I even saved the pieces I had to cut. If you don't believe me I'll post a picture up. I have my sticks all measure at 57.5" from heel to butt end. 

But yes, diff manufacturers do measure their sticks diff so 60" for one company won't be the same as another. Some measure the actual heel to the end, and some measure from the heel where it lays flat on the ground tot the end. 

Do your trues feel more whippy than bauer? I’m guessing they’re the same flex rating. I’m just wondering because I’m using a 65-70 flex but true doesn’t offer that for most intermediate sticks. I was thinking of picking up an xc5 but I’m not sure if it’s flex is too light plus I’ve heard that they can be whippy. If you’ve used an xc5 or any xc line stick could you comment on the durability of them?

31 minutes ago, JAY4114 said:

Do your trues feel more whippy than bauer? I’m guessing they’re the same flex rating. I’m just wondering because I’m using a 65-70 flex but true doesn’t offer that for most intermediate sticks. I was thinking of picking up an xc5 but I’m not sure if it’s flex is too light plus I’ve heard that they can be whippy. If you’ve used an xc5 or any xc line stick could you comment on the durability of them?

The older a series did feel a bit more whippy. But the new ax9 feels more on par with other lines. Can't really compare with Bauer since they are the odd child with a 77 flex rating and not 75... Never tried the xc series sticks. I had one at one point but sold it before I used it. Didn't feel good in my hands. 

1 minute ago, Sniper9 said:

The older a series did feel a bit more whippy. But the new ax9 feels more on par with other lines. Can't really compare with Bauer since they are the odd child with a 77 flex rating and not 75... Never tried the xc series sticks. I had one at one point but sold it before I used it. Didn't feel good in my hands. 

How’s the durability on the ax9 or any of the other ones you’ve used? From the sound of it it doesn’t seem like 58 flex will be good for me

1 hour ago, JAY4114 said:

How’s the durability on the ax9 or any of the other ones you’ve used? From the sound of it it doesn’t seem like 58 flex will be good for me

Never had durability issues so far. The second generation a series had blade chipping issues. My ax9 I've only used a few stick and pucks so can't really comment. The most recent a series ht seems solid. Can't really beat it's price point, especially if you are in Canada. www.hockeysupremacy.com has had them on clearance for 129 for a while now. 

1 hour ago, Sniper9 said:

Never had durability issues so far. The second generation a series had blade chipping issues. My ax9 I've only used a few stick and pucks so can't really comment. The most recent a series ht seems solid. Can't really beat it's price point, especially if you are in Canada. www.hockeysupremacy.com has had them on clearance for 129 for a while now. 

Do you think a 58 flex would be too soft? I don’t feel like snapping sticks. I’m using a 67 bauer right now. I can definitely get some good flex on it and I feel it when shooting but never really paid attention on passes. I weigh about 165.

11 hours ago, JAY4114 said:

Do you think a 58 flex would be too soft? I don’t feel like snapping sticks. I’m using a 67 bauer right now. I can definitely get some good flex on it and I feel it when shooting but never really paid attention on passes. I weigh about 165.

Your flex choice is between you and your priest. (Stick height and your height and shooting style and how much you cut the stick are all variables we can’t account for.) You’ll find relatively light people who use a stiffer flex, and relatively heavier people who use a softer flex. The trend for the past 10 years or so has been to use softer flexes and “let the stick do the work.” Good examples are Kessel and Ovechkin, who are two relatively big dudes, using 70 and 80 flex sticks, respectively. The most common advice on here is usually to try the lower flex and see if you like it. 

• Like 1

On 7/21/2020 at 2:38 PM, BenBreeg said:

Are they a bit longer with more coverage near the gloves than other brands? Trying to find something for someone 5'7" 115, so tall and thin. I was thinking a Senior Small?

@nutters I just got my surgeon gloves today and I have a question. This goes for all gloves I just don’t really know how to fit them. Should the stitching right under the palm of the glove be riding the bottom of my palm or should it be on my wrist?

7 minutes ago, JAY4114 said:

@nutters I just got my surgeon gloves today and I have a question. This goes for all gloves I just don’t really know how to fit them. Should the stitching right under the palm of the glove be riding the bottom of my palm or should it be on my wrist?

Preference. Try on a few different gloves and see what's more comfortable. Gloves aren't supposed to fit any way except how you like them. I knew a kid Scottie, one if the nastiest kids I ever played with. He used to use 15.5" Easton airs and he was like maybe 5'7" and probably could have worn 13" gloves (it wasn't a money thing either). Personally I prefer for that seam to come up onto my wrist, but in sure there are those who like it on the palm of their hand. 

4 hours ago, JAY4114 said:

As Miller55 said, it's personal preference. My preference is to have the bottom of the palm of my hand line up to the bottom of the palm of the glove (so the bottom palm seam would be just under the bottom of the palm of my hand) and to have my fingers just brushing the end of the gussets of the glove. If I can't brush the ends of the gussets and the palm of the gloves is a cm below the palm of my hand then the gloves feel big and sloppy to me. If my fingers are pressing through the gussets or the end of the glove palm is a cm above the palm of my hand then the gloves feel too small. 

Then there's the issue of where the glove cuffs meet your elbow pads. Fortunately, the 14" Surgeon 500 gloves I use now fit like I prefer and the cuff and my elbow pads just barely brush, but don't interfere with each other. 

The Hockeymonkey glove sizing page says: 

If you want to know how to measure hockey gloves precisely, there's a quick two-step process to determine your correct hockey glove size.

1. Start by measuring the distance between the base of your palm and the top of your middle finger.
  2. Take that number and double it. This will give you accurate, proper hockey glove sizing. For example, if the measurement is seven inches, you should purchase size 14 hockey gloves. If you measure seven and a half inches, look for size 15 hockey gloves.

If I measure from the base of my palm to the end of my middle finger it's about 8 inches. The info above would suggest I should be using 16" gloves (which I've NEVER seen and am sure I'd be swimming in), but almost every glove I've ever used has been 14". I did try a 13.5" glove once, but then sold them as my fingers were bursting through the gussets - one slash on a finger tip confirmed that it wasn't safe to go that small. In 15" gloves my fingers are about a half a cm below the ends of the gussets in most models. That could probably work, but I like to be able to just brush the ends of the gussets with most or all my fingers. 

Another glove sizing guide, http://newtohockey.com/complete-hockey-gloves-guide/, suggests: 

Hockey gloves are measured in (usually whole) inches. 13, 14, and 15” are usually considered adult sizes, while anything smaller is junior or youth. This length represents the distance from the bend in your inner elbow to the base of your fingers. Although this may seem like a strange way of measuring, it is a legacy from when hockey gloves were much longer than they are today.

When I measure from the bend in my inner elbow to the base of my palms, it measures exactly 14". So that way of measuring does match up with the glove size I prefer to use. 

That page goes on to say:

When trying gloves on, make note of a few things for fit. If possible, spend some time shooting and stickhandling with a stick while doing this.

• You should have about ¼” of space in the fingertips, and when you curl your hand into a fist, they shouldn’t stretch out the material connecting the palm to the glove at the tips.
  • The breaks in the fingers should be comfortable, and should line up fairly well with your knuckles. This can vary from brand to brand, so try everything on!
  • The wrist break should line up with your wrist on the underside.
  • Note from coach Jeremy (I like mobility in my gloves, my typical test is being able to give the middle finger and a thumbs up)

You don't want your fingers going past the end of the gussets as that does pose a safety hazard. At the same time, I generally don't leave 1/4" of space at the end of the fingers, maybe a mm or two at most. The knuckle and wrist breaks do line up well for me on my 14" Surgeons and the palm of the glove aligns with the palm of my hand, but all my fingers with the exception of the pinky are right at the end of the gussets (not bursting through, but just touching the end). 

Based on the sizing info I've read, the general guides would suggest I should wear 15" gloves, but I prefer 14" gloves. And I'm far from a pro, but I've seen way more 13" and 14" pro stock gloves than 15" gloves; so I don't think I'm the only one who sizes down from the general rules of thumb. While I have discovered you can go too small, I haven't had protection issues with 14" gloves. 

Edited by althoma1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, JAY4114 said:

I've always preferred mine scooping just un my palms, but that seems as though they fit fine. Where do your fingers end up because I believe that is a bit more important. 

Like the others have said its really preference,  as long and all the right areas are covered then it is a "proper fitting" glove

• Like 2

On 8/2/2020 at 11:52 PM, 218hockey said:

Are they a bit longer with more coverage near the gloves than other brands? Trying to find something for someone 5'7" 115, so tall and thin. I was thinking a Senior Small?

I apologize I missed this until now.  I don’t know compared to other brands but I am 6’3” 175 with 37” sleeve length and Sr. Med work great.  Sr small or jr large, order both and return the other.

1 hour ago, nutters said:

I've always preferred mine scooping just un my palms, but that seems as though they fit fine. Where do your fingers end up because I believe that is a bit more important. 

Like the others have said its really preference,  as long and all the right areas are covered then it is a "proper fitting" glove

My fingers end up like 1/8-1/4 of an inch from the tips. Sometimes depending on the positioning I am touching

I’m on my second HPR2. Really like this stick. Light, stiff blade, great overall feel. First one was 75flex but it was way too whippy so went with the 85 on the current one. Awesome bang for your buck.