Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
JAY4114

Arches are killing me and no one knows the issue

15 hours ago, Vet88 said:

Why do you think they are too big? Reading your last 2 posts, it sounds to me as if they are still too narrow which is leading to numbness and pain. After a skate, do you have any red areas around your foot?

No red areas. I only think they’re too big because I’m tensing up which makes me think Im trying to compensate for having too much room or something even though it doesn’t feel that big.

4 hours ago, Buzz_LightBeer said:

At your feet on the flatter side? I have very flat feet and issues similar to you. I never tried to squeeze my feet into a below but I found a simple (albeit far from perfect) fix. I go with the thinnest footbed I could find and elevated my heels with Dr Scholl heel inserts  

it removes the element of your arch being pushed by the skate  

it helped me out tons before I learned to heat and stretch my own skates  

According to the Bauer foot scanner, my arches are on the lower side

Possibly try this - get a foot insert and cut out the arch area so that it fits around any arch profile in the boot. The idea is to raise your foot above the arch profile in the boot and therefore release / reduce any pressure on your arch from the boot. Go for a skate, if this helps it gives a good guide as to where a lot of the pain could be coming from.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vet88 said:

Possibly try this - get a foot insert and cut out the arch area so that it fits around any arch profile in the boot. The idea is to raise your foot above the arch profile in the boot and therefore release / reduce any pressure on your arch from the boot. Go for a skate, if this helps it gives a good guide as to where a lot of the pain could be coming from.

I’ll try a different insert. The first one reduced the pain a little bit but it was still there 

It is definitely possible that the pain is cramping from tending up your foot. This could definitely be the result of skates that are too long. If they are also too narrow you will get the arch pain as well, and the combination could be brutal. 

2 hours ago, JAY4114 said:

I’ll try a different insert. The first one reduced the pain a little bit but it was still there 

If you are just putting the insert into the boot you may not get that much relief. You need to cut the insert where the arch sits, you are adding material under the foot and taking it away under the arch.

Just now, Vet88 said:

If you are just putting the insert into the boot you may not get that much relief. You need to cut the insert where the arch sits, you are adding material under the foot and taking it away under the arch.

That’s what I did

10 hours ago, Miller55 said:

It is definitely possible that the pain is cramping from tending up your foot. This could definitely be the result of skates that are too long. If they are also too narrow you will get the arch pain as well, and the combination could be brutal. 

So if I were to get a skate that’s too wide or a little wider than I need I won’t get the arch pain?

Edited by JAY4114

1 hour ago, JAY4114 said:

So if I were to get a skate that’s too wide or a little wider than I need I won’t get the arch pain?

That would depend on the skate, how tight you crank the laces and the quarter package on the skate. What I can say if that I've experienced severe pain in the arches and cramping on the bottom of my feet and it was from skates that were too long or too narrow in the wrong spot or a combination (not my own skates, but borrowed skates a few times for roller hockey and it was brutal. Size 13 boats that I had to crank down to stay on my feet. I ended up curling my toes just to have some grip and not feel like I was sliding everywhere, and that's where the cramping started). In essence, skates that don't fit well need to be tightened too much and that can cause a million different problems depending on your foot and the boot and which areas are not a good fit. Maybe post a picture of your feet. Sounds creepy, but I'm sure a lot of us here would be able to give you better info from actually seeing your feet

18 hours ago, JAY4114 said:

That’s what I did

I go back to my earlier post, put your skates on, don't do the laces up, go for a simple straight line skate at a slow speed. Skate around the house if that is the only option you have got. Skate as long as it normally takes for the pain to kick in, if you don't get the pain then try tensing your toes and seeing if the pain starts. If you get no pain then the problem is either: 1: how you skate and are aligned over the chassis. 2: narrowness of the skate. 3: how tight you are tying the skate. 4 a combination of 1 or and 2 or and 3. 

A skate wider than your foot should not cause arch pain unless your problem is 1. Then your foot is most likely rotating in the skate and this can lead to all sorts of pain. Or the arch shape in the boot is too forward or back to naturally fit your arch, if you crank the laces down to force your foot into a locked position in the boot this could lead to arch pain.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Vet88 said:

I go back to my earlier post, put your skates on, don't do the laces up, go for a simple straight line skate at a slow speed. Skate around the house if that is the only option you have got. Skate as long as it normally takes for the pain to kick in, if you don't get the pain then try tensing your toes and seeing if the pain starts. If you get no pain then the problem is either: 1: how you skate and are aligned over the chassis. 2: narrowness of the skate. 3: how tight you are tying the skate. 4 a combination of 1 or and 2 or and 3. 

A skate wider than your foot should not cause arch pain unless your problem is 1. Then your foot is most likely rotating in the skate and this can lead to all sorts of pain. Or the arch shape in the boot is too forward or back to naturally fit your arch, if you crank the laces down to force your foot into a locked position in the boot this could lead to arch pain.

Ok I’ll try the test tomorrow and give you an update

Edited by JAY4114

19 hours ago, Vet88 said:

By don’t do the laces up do you mean don’t tie them at all or tie them very loosely?

4 hours ago, JAY4114 said:

By don’t do the laces up do you mean don’t tie them at all or tie them very loosely?

don't tie them at all, you should be able to pull the boot on and off your foot without any trouble. You will wobble at first but if you stick to just slow straight line skating you will get it very quickly.

23 hours ago, Vet88 said:

don't tie them at all, you should be able to pull the boot on and off your foot without any trouble. You will wobble at first but if you stick to just slow straight line skating you will get it very quickly.

Test went pretty well. I stayed on them for a while and no pain. I’ve never had consistent times getting the pain so I just went for about 10 minutes

8 minutes ago, JAY4114 said:

Test went pretty well. I stayed on them for a while and no pain. I’ve never had consistent times getting the pain so I just went for about 10 minutes

Thats a good start. Next time take a puck or a green biscuit, do a mix of skating and puck handling for about 30 minutes. If you can get thru 30+ minutes with no pain then I'd be looking at how wide the skates are and consider getting them stretched where it is hurting. You can check this yourself if you have suitable measuring tools - measure the width of your foot, measure the width of the skate, measure the thickness of the skate, some simple maths will tell you if you have enough room or not.