Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
JAY4114

Bauer vs. CCM sticks

Anyone have pros and cons between sticks from what seems to be the two titans of the hockey market? One of the main things I’d like to hear about is the durability of sticks between brands if possible.

46 minutes ago, JAY4114 said:

Anyone have pros and cons between sticks from what seems to be the two titans of the hockey market? One of the main things I’d like to hear about is the durability of sticks between brands if possible.

Everyone has their own opinion but I personally think CCM is way more advanced than Bauer when it comes to sticks. The FT3 Pro is a fantastic stick and CCM has two other sticks releasing this year that are also amazing as well. While I used to boucne around between brands for many years changing between brands I am firmly on the CCM bandwagon now. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

Everyone has their own opinion but I personally think CCM is way more advanced than Bauer when it comes to sticks. The FT3 Pro is a fantastic stick and CCM has two other sticks releasing this year that are also amazing as well. While I used to boucne around between brands for many years changing between brands I am firmly on the CCM bandwagon now. 

How does the durability of ccm compare to bauer?

Thats like asking how long is a piece of string. Do you take lots of slap shots, face offs, grind away in the corner etc etc. For example I went thru 4 DT1's in about 3 months (I was doing a lot of slapshot practice everyday) yet a team mate of mine still had his original a year later. Admittedly the DT1's didn't have a great rep but it all depends on how you play / practice and what form of abuse you put the sticks through.

• Like 1

I'm sold on CCM solely from using the trigger 4. My all time favorite stick in terms of low kick. I don't use anything but low kick sticks now. The last mid kick I liked was the original 1n. I'm curious to try the ft3 but not gonna try to fix what isn't broken. 

10 minutes ago, Vet88 said:

Thats like asking how long is a piece of string. Do you take lots of slap shots, face offs, grind away in the corner etc etc. For example I went thru 4 DT1's in about 3 months (I was doing a lot of slapshot practice everyday) yet a team mate of mine still had his original a year later. Admittedly the DT1's didn't have a great rep but it all depends on how you play / practice and what form of abuse you put the sticks through.

I’m a 2nd line center with a deadly wrist shot and snap shot. I take the occasional slap shot unless I’m just playing in house then I will take a decent amount when I’m on defense

I'm a CCM stick convert ever since the Ultra Tacks came out.  Used Bauer before that, mostly the Nexus line, sometimes Supreme.  (I'm a mid-kick type of guy).  Honestly, I think both brands are fine along with any of the top manufacturers.  I just usually can find CCM sticks on clearance a bit more easier than Bauer.  I guess there's also wishful thinking that CCM will go back to the the Ultra Tacks characteristics someday (just disguised with a different paint job).  Ultra Tacks was my favorite stick of all time to this point.  Such an effortless stick with such a smooth kick point.  

10 hours ago, JAY4114 said:

If you're talking titans, I'd put warrior ahead of CCM. 

CCM sticks are kind of meh. I keep trying them wanting...hoping to like them. It just never works out that way. But everyone is different.

12 hours ago, shoot_the_goalie said:

I'm a CCM stick convert ever since the Ultra Tacks came out.  Used Bauer before that, mostly the Nexus line, sometimes Supreme.  (I'm a mid-kick type of guy).  Honestly, I think both brands are fine along with any of the top manufacturers.  I just usually can find CCM sticks on clearance a bit more easier than Bauer.  I guess there's also wishful thinking that CCM will go back to the the Ultra Tacks characteristics someday (just disguised with a different paint job).  Ultra Tacks was my favorite stick of all time to this point.  Such an effortless stick with such a smooth kick point.  

I feel like Ultra Tacks is the modern one95. Everyone loved it, and then the company moved on to other fancier tech, but so many people would be happy just to have access to that slightly older stick. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, start_today said:

I feel like Ultra Tacks is the modern one95. Everyone loved it, and then the company moved on to other fancier tech, but so many people would be happy just to have access to that slightly older stick. 

Does anyone know if you can custom order an older stick line from CCM?  I'm assuming for the general populace, no? (I'd imagine it would be hard, due to different machines, materials, and also marketing).

1 hour ago, shoot_the_goalie said:

Does anyone know if you can custom order an older stick line from CCM?  I'm assuming for the general populace, no? (I'd imagine it would be hard, due to different machines, materials, and also marketing).

Just ask for them to dress it up as some new stuyck that needs to sell😉

12 hours ago, stick9 said:

If you're talking titans, I'd put warrior ahead of CCM. 

CCM sticks are kind of meh. I keep trying them wanting...hoping to like them. It just never works out that way. But everyone is different.

When I first started I didn’t know what to look for so I used a covert that treated me well then I got an alpha qx that I had a lot of problems with

20 hours ago, shoot_the_goalie said:

I’m just worried about durability on ccms 

22 hours ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

More advanced?  How so?  They both use petty much the same carbon fiber in their top of the line sticks.  I think Bauer does a better job of matching blade stiffness to kick point.

1 hour ago, JAY4114 said:

I’m just worried about durability on ccms 

Durability is all going to be the same for the most part with high end sticks. If you want soemthing more durable dont buy top of the line and instead go with the TEAM model of sticks. That way when they start to break you jsut toss it out and get a new one. No one wants to toss a $300 sticks but most have no issues sending a $100 stick to the garbage when its about to give up. 

9 minutes ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

Durability is all going to be the same for the most part with high end sticks. If you want soemthing more durable dont buy top of the line and instead go with the TEAM model of sticks. That way when they start to break you jsut toss it out and get a new one. No one wants to toss a $300 sticks but most have no issues sending a $100 stick to the garbage when its about to give up. 

If that’s the case I’ve seen way more people break ccm than bauer because they don’t reinforce the blade at all at that level. I’ve seen more shafts break too especially on jetspeed models.

3 minutes ago, JAY4114 said:

If that’s the case I’ve seen way more people break ccm than bauer because they don’t reinforce the blade at all at that level. I’ve seen more shafts break too especially on jetspeed models.

Ive seen the opposite. Factually, your mileage may vary regardless of the stick brand and model. You could just get a bad batch. It happens. I dont put too much thought into it anymore. I just use whatever works and when it breaks I get another stick from the bench. All I care about is if it feels good and shoots nicely. 

Edited by SkateWorksPNW

4 minutes ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

Ive seen the opposite. Factually, your mileage may vary regardless of the stick brand and model. You could just get a bad batch. It happens. I dont put too much thought into it anymore. I just use whatever works and when it breaks I get another stick from the bench. All I care about is if it feels good and shoots nicely. 

Unfortunately I still have to. I can’t go to buy new sticks every time I break one

3 minutes ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

Jut buy pro stock then. 

I plan on it when I can find someone with a curve good for what I need it to do. Also I need to find shorter one that I won’t need to cut as much which is hard. Any suggestions for a righty?

Edited by JAY4114

Warrior imo is the stiffest of the ones you listed. CCM seems on par for their flex rating. True used to be on the whippy side but right now is about on par with their ax9 line. Bauer is a touch stiffer imo but they are rated at 77 flex and not 75. 

• Like 1

I can't speak for Warrior, since I rarely use them.  I find True sticks to be the mid point for flex rating. (I don't have the scientific equipment to verify this, so just using this as a base point...).  Only speaking for mid-kicks as well.

WHIPPY:  Easton<<True<<CCM<Bauer<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<Easton Aluminum<<<rebar (heh) : STIFF

Edited by shoot_the_goalie

Easton are the most whippy? Depends what models. I found TPS, mission (rip) and STX to be the most whippy. True and warrior are pretty on point and Bauer and ccm to be stiffer. Haven't used Sherwood in many years. 

On 7/16/2020 at 12:52 AM, shoot_the_goalie said:

Do the blades hold up or do they chip and fall apart easily?