Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
marka

TRUE TF9/TF7 skates

Howdy,

Anyone got any new info about the True retail / non-custom skates?  That was a thing, right?

Mark

21 minutes ago, Hills said:

Do you think they will actually be anything different than more mass produced versions than they already have?

I've purchased VH/True skates second-hand, and have been rather happy with the thermoplasticity of the boot, and was in Makos beforehand. I expect a highly thermo-formable boot in "classic" sizes (half-size steps) and widths (D and EE - however this might not even be necessary) that will fit a wide range of people. Again, just my expectation which is based upon pure speculation.

The reason I am excited is that in my country there currently (to the best of my knowledge) is not a single True fitter where I could even order from, so a "cheaper" retail alternative that I could get (and service) locally would be greatly appreciated.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Hills said:

Do you think they will actually be anything different than more mass produced versions than they already have?

I don't expect a whole lot to be different, but there's no reason to not wait at this point. 

39 minutes ago, althoma1 said:

Considering the images were already posted here on March 2nd, I assume it's OK:

https://modsquadhockey.com/forums/topic/71678-vh-footweartrue-by-scott-van-horne/?do=findComment&comment=1107583

That’s the new skate that’s coming out in august? It looks like the version that’s already out.

10 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

That’s the new skate that’s coming out in august? It looks like the version that’s already out.

That's what I've been saying... it will be the same basic skate but mass produced and in different price points.

• Like 1

Howdy,

I didn't think they had actual release dates yet on their mass produced skates...

I'll for sure be interested in real details when they're available.  This looks to be yet another teaser with no actual information.

Mark

3 hours ago, Hills said:

That's what I've been saying... it will be the same basic skate but mass produced and in different price points.

This

15 minutes ago, marka said:

Howdy,

I didn't think they had actual release dates yet on their mass produced skates...

I'll for sure be interested in real details when they're available.  This looks to be yet another teaser with no actual information.

Mark

August 13 is the North American date True posted on social media. July 16 is the European date so maybe full details will be available at that time. 

4 hours ago, Hills said:

Yep, exactly. 

Maybe I’m weird, but that light, flat looking blue on that old post just looks like cheap rental skates. Hopefully the final version is different

Yeah, they do have a cheaper look. Hopefully they were just prototypes and the actual models will look better. I am just happy to see something that may feel close to Makos that I can get for a more affordable price than full customs.

My stockpiled Mako II skates should last a while, but the day will come when I need replacements. I know buying new or close to new customs made for someone else is an option, but any size 8 Trues I seen for sale have been standard D width according to the sellers. D didn't work for me in Mako skates even after baking, EE did. So I am hoping EE retail True skates will. And if they fit and perform then I will grab them even if the aesthetics leave something to be desired.

2 hours ago, gsr027 said:

Maybe I’m weird, but that light, flat looking blue on that old post just looks like cheap rental skates. Hopefully the final version is different

I wonder if you could get the Riedell logo on the side somehow. Would be fun to be ripping around your adult league in what look like rental skates. Plus, you never have to worry about anyone stealing them! 

On 6/16/2020 at 7:57 PM, shoot_the_goalie said:

Guessing graphically, they'll be significantly different?  Maybe more True Blue on the skate?

Ya that's one thing I don't like about the retails. Well the only thing I don't like. It's nice that it's going to be quite a bit cheaper than customs and most people won't need a fully custom true boot since they are so thermoformable. 

Yeah I might actually try the retails. The customs were obviously amazing but if I can get something really thermoformable like the Makos, I’d likely be fine.

• Like 1

I'm guessing retailers will let consumers try them on baked first before they buy since that's really the only way to experience them. 

1 hour ago, gosinger said:

Since this hasn't been posted yet, world hockey blog has a short writeup (mainly marketing re-formated) on the TF7 at http://www.hockeyworldblog.com/2020/06/26/true-tf7-skates/ which includes pricing. Fiberglass one-piece shell.

There's also a post about the TF9: http://www.hockeyworldblog.com/2020/04/02/true-tf9-skates/

It seems the key differences between the TF9 and TF7 are the TF9 has a carbon shell, adjustable anatomical tongue and a clarino liner with HydroFoam tech and the TF7 has a fiberglass shell, a felt tongue and a black wick liner. The pro version seems to be a custom version of the TF9.

Edited by althoma1

True just went live with their website for the TF9 and TF7. Including a video on those:

I am soooo looking forward to the TF9....already emailed most hockey stores within a days driving distance to test-fit them when they come in (for once we're first in Europe - huraaaah!)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, althoma1 said:

There's also a post about the TF9: http://www.hockeyworldblog.com/2020/04/02/true-tf9-skates/

It seems the key differences between the TF9 and TF7 are the TF9 has a carbon shell, adjustable anatomical tongue and a clarino liner with HydroFoam tech and the TF7 has a fiberglass shell, a felt tongue and a black wick liner. The pro version seems to be a custom version of the TF9.

I'm assuming the tf7 would still have an adjustable tongue

Wonder if they will make a retail goalie skate too. 

Edited by Sniper9

4 hours ago, althoma1 said:

The pro version seems to be a custom version of the TF9.

That's what it looks like, which is pretty crazy, because that would mean that True's top of the line retail skate, if it is really comparable to the other big brands spec-wise and performance-wise, will come in at almost $400 cheaper than top of the line Bauer and CCM. 

I'm really interested to find out if the TF9 is actually on par with the other top of the line skates. I always wanted to try a pair of true but could never justify it as I fit retail Supremes pretty decent. But at that price it's a lot more appealing. 

• Like 3