Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
marka

TRUE TF9/TF7 skates

1 hour ago, Miller55 said:

That's what it looks like, which is pretty crazy, because that would mean that True's top of the line retail skate, if it is really comparable to the other big brands spec-wise and performance-wise, will come in at almost $400 cheaper than top of the line Bauer and CCM. 

I'm really interested to find out if the TF9 is actually on par with the other top of the line skates. I always wanted to try a pair of true but could never justify it as I fit retail Supremes pretty decent. But at that price it's a lot more appealing. 

The TRUE TF9 will be the same specifications as the TRUE Pro Custom skate so it will compete against other Tier 1 skates from CCM and Bauer.

I would say the TRUE TF7 could probably hold its own against skates costing $699+ as it a very well built skate that was designed to be very thermoformable but at a very nominal price point. 

The premise is players who do not require a full custom skate and can fit into a retail skate can buy the TRUE TF9. Those that need a custom skate due to foot issues have the option to go with the TRUE Pro Custom.  

• Like 2

That's good to know, thanks. Have you held the TF7s? Does the fiberglass seem like quality material compared to a composite boot in terms of stiffness and durability? Weight? Thanks

10 hours ago, BureKovy said:

Any know if this is a change to their 2.0 version or just a visual change?

There is a few very minor changes but its mostly the v2 version of the skates. I weighed the TF9 vs my 2019/2020 Pro Customs and the weight was within 20 grams. 

10 hours ago, Miller55 said:

That's good to know, thanks. Have you held the TF7s? Does the fiberglass seem like quality material compared to a composite boot in terms of stiffness and durability? Weight? Thanks

I have held them both. The TF7 is a fiberglass composite and looks very durable, the weight was also very close between the TF7 and TF9. 

They look fantastic. I'd probably go TF Pro Custom for my goalie skates (assuming they bring out a goalie model...) and TF7 for my regular skates to replace my Makos. 

Hey, @SkateWorksPNW any idea if they changed up the tendon guards on the new models? Pictures aren't clear but it looks like they got rid of the rivet and decided to actually attach it to the skate normally. Is that accurate?

53 minutes ago, Miller55 said:

Hey, @SkateWorksPNW any idea if they changed up the tendon guards on the new models? Pictures aren't clear but it looks like they got rid of the rivet and decided to actually attach it to the skate normally. Is that accurate?

Website says there is a new fastening bolt tendon guard system.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, BureKovy said:

Could you order a retail model off the shelf if True already has your foot scan from a custom mould?

I dont understand the question. The retail model will be in hockey stores so you would just walk in and buy the skate off the shelf. 

3 hours ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

I dont understand the question. The retail model will be in hockey stores so you would just walk in and buy the skate off the shelf. 

Yeah I guess I was thinking of the process differently.  Wanted to get some a set of retail, holder not attached yet and have some mars blades put on them.  I don't think that can happen because like you said, they will just be fully stocked on the shelf.

18 minutes ago, BureKovy said:

Yeah I guess I was thinking of the process differently.  Wanted to get some a set of retail, holder not attached yet and have some mars blades put on them.  I don't think that can happen because like you said, they will just be fully stocked on the shelf.

You definitely wont be able to buy retail skates with no holder. If you want that, you would have to go custom to honor your... custom request.

• Like 1

That's a great idea. Personally I don't know that I need it, but for $20 or in that range I probably would use it anyway.

I think there's a lot of folks who would feel more comfortable going to True retail with something like that.

18 minutes ago, Giltis said:

I might be one of the few that don't care what my skates look like lol. They could be purple, yellow, hot pink, or puke green as long as I can skate fast and comfortably for hours.

In theory I agree, but when I look at old pictures of myself in 90s/2000s roller hockey pants, jerseys and gloves I question that. Garbage pail kid jerseys in Puke green and pink. Yeah, I can't really pull that off anymore.

It seems like the black out option is only for custom. I prefer it to the blue, but either way the TF9 is looking like my next skate

3 hours ago, Miller55 said:

That's a great idea. Personally I don't know that I need it, but for $20 or in that range I probably would use it anyway.

I think there's a lot of folks who would feel more comfortable going to True retail with something like that.

In theory I agree, but when I look at old pictures of myself in 90s/2000s roller hockey pants, jerseys and gloves I question that. Garbage pail kid jerseys in Puke green and pink. Yeah, I can't really pull that off anymore.

It seems like the black out option is only for custom. I prefer it to the blue, but either way the TF9 is looking like my next skate

Probably not hard to blackout the blue yourself since it's on the raised lines. 

• Like 1

For those interested, check out True's Instagram account for a video with Scott Van Horne on the latest from True. 

TF9 - Coated stainless steel - Shift Onyx - being made by True

TF7 - Standard stainless steel - Shift - being made by True

Launch dates are August 14th for North America and July 16th for Europe.

Enjoy!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jeff Azzolin Bladetech said:

For those interested, check out True's Instagram account for a video with Scott Van Horne on the latest from True. 

Merged into the existing thread where we've already been discussing these. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, calixguy18 said:

Is there any reason to buy a True retail skate over say a Bauer or CCM retail skate with all their new fit options? 

They are more thermoformable so you can get a better fit, more comfortable, significantly cheaper for the same level of performance. There have been issues with build quality which will hopefully be improved in the retail line.

2 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

Merged into the existing thread where we've already been discussing these. 

Can we hit the undo on that? No need to confuse the conversation. Retail version should get it's own thread.

JMO

Edited by stick9
  • Like 2

Howdy,

It would be interesting to know how close my foot shape was to the one True used for the TF7 / TF9... I wonder if their scanner will be programmed to tell people that info?

TF7 seems like it really hits the mark for me price/tech/whatever-wise, as long as it fits.

Mark

The finish looks decent on the first batch of TF7 and TF9, better than a lot of the custom skates, hopefully that continues.

Will be interesting to see how they fit on customers, the lasts seem to vary from one size to the next and between the models. Not had chance to bake any yet.

Interesting that they're releasing in Europe a month earlier than North America.  Anyone know the reasoning behind this?  Is it normal for gear to hit the European market first?

1 minute ago, boo10 said:

Interesting that they're releasing in Europe a month earlier than North America.  Anyone know the reasoning behind this?  Is it normal for gear to hit the European market first?

I don't know why, but it's definitely not typical. Usually the brands based on na release in na first. 

2 minutes ago, boo10 said:

1 minute ago, Miller55 said:

I don't know why, but it's definitely not typical. Usually the brands based on na release in na first. 

Quite a few lines have been launched in Europe first recently. Supreme Skates and Stick line, Supreme Goal, New CCM Super Tacks had an early release too here

Right, I should say, on the whole over the last decade or two, it's uncommon, but there are definitely exceptions. I'm not familiar enough with the flow of things in this particular industry to know the why's though

• Like 1

8 hours ago, boo10 said:

I believe in the 30 min IG video, Scott said it was due to the current conditions i.e. Covid.