Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
marka

TRUE TF9/TF7 skates

For those wondering the TF9 and TF7 weight. I had a chance to weigh the production version of both and there was only about 10 grams difference between the TF7 and TF9. The TF9 weighing in at 881 grams and the TF7 weighing 891 in a size 8D. This is actually less than both my AS3 Pro and Ultrasonic skates. 

• Like 5

Hi there! Need a piece of advise from experts who saw TF7. Our local shop sells True stock with Step steel and previous holder. They also start offering TF7. The price is similar.  Which one you recommend them for 12 years old boy? 

On 7/16/2020 at 7:52 PM, calixguy18 said:

I believe in the 30 min IG video, Scott said it was due to the current conditions i.e. Covid.

Correct - more shops, leagues, rinks...etc are open in EU than in NA currently.
They got hit a bit earlier, and essentially, are getting out of the mud earlier too.

2 hours ago, koresh38 said:

Hi there! Need a piece of advise from experts who saw TF7. Our local shop sells True stock with Step steel and previous holder. They also start offering TF7. The price is similar.  Which one you recommend them for 12 years old boy? 

What level does he play?

On 7/22/2020 at 4:12 AM, SkateWorksPNW said:

For those wondering the TF9 and TF7 weight. I had a chance to weigh the production version of both and there was only about 10 grams difference between the TF7 and TF9. The TF9 weighing in at 881 grams and the TF7 weighing 891 in a size 8D. This is actually less than both my AS3 Pro and Ultrasonic skates. 

What weight difference is there between the TF7 and TF9 tongues?

9 hours ago, flip12 said:

What weight difference is there between the TF7 and TF9 tongues?

I didnt check tongue weight but I imagine its very minimal.

To put the products differences in perspective, the TF7 liner material is lighter than the TF9 which uses a treated mousture repellant clarino liner. The boot shell will weigh differently and the tongue as well. The padding and everything else seem to be exactly the same between the two models. 

27 minutes ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

I didnt check tongue weight but I imagine its very minimal.

To put the products differences in perspective, the TF7 liner material is lighter than the TF9 which uses a treated mousture repellant clarino liner. The boot shell will weigh differently and the tongue as well. The padding and everything else seem to be exactly the same between the two models. 

Good points that there are density differences in a lot of the materials. I love clarino, but would consider the mesh liner if the price made better sense overall.

I was just curious about the tongue specifically because it’s much easier ho change than any of those other components and SVH‘s Instagram Live story featured the two tongues’ differences in one segment. As I mentioned in the recent Drew Doughty Lacing Pattern thread, I’m very focused on tongue performance now that I’ve experimented with swapping tongues in my Grafs and MLX. I couldn’t get my MLX to feel and perform naturally until I paired them with the softest tongues I have. That and a 1” roh were amazing together. But the more I’ve tinkered with various skates, the more I’m beginning to think it’s the fringe components—the tongue, the pitch and steel properties, boot cuff height and throat flare—that are the most important, that is, the bulk of the boot itself is of least importance. That’s why I was curious about the tongue weights.

Edited by flip12

Since he plays AAA he may benefit from the extra stiffness and responsiveness of the carbon fiber in the True stock with Step steel vs. the Fiberglass in the TF7. The clarino liner on the True stock with Step steel would also likely be more durable and the steel might hold an edge longer. The advantages of the TF7 would mainly be the new holder and the bolt vs. the rivet for the tendon guard. I would probably lean toward the original for the extra potential performance. 

Edited by althoma1

36 minutes ago, koresh38 said:

He plays AAA and I really need some advise on the matter, please....

I think the TF7 would be fine and he would likely outgrow the skate before it broke down. What skates is he wearing currnetly? 

11 minutes ago, althoma1 said:

Since he plays AAA he may benefit from the extra stiffness and responsiveness of the carbon fiber in the True stock with Step steel vs. the Fiberglass in the TF7. The clarino liner on the True stock with Step steel would also likely be more durable and the steel might hold an edge longer. The advantages of the TF7 would mainly be the new holder and the bolt vs. the rivet for the tendon guard. I would probably lean toward the original for the extra potential performance. 

I think it depends on his size, weight, skating style and such. I tend to recommend softer boots for younger players as they are still growing and also working on improving their skills. A boot that is too stiff can sometimes cause issues with player development specifically in regards to skating. 

• Like 2

I agree that the TF7s would probably be sufficient. From 12-16 ish is the age that feet grow like wild and i doubt he will break down the TF7s by the time he outgrows them

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

I think the TF7 would be fine and he would likely outgrow the skate before it broke down. What skates is he wearing currnetly? 

I think it depends on his size, weight, skating style and such. I tend to recommend softer boots for younger players as they are still growing and also working on improving their skills. A boot that is too stiff can sometimes cause issues with player development specifically in regards to skating. 

You make a good point. At 12 and 77lbs the slightly softer boot might be better. If he was an older and heavier teen then it'd be different. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, koresh38 said:

Thank you for the feedback. Really appreciate that.  Another question: do we know blade profile which comes on Truestock Steps and on new Shifts?

I need to double check what will come on the TF7/TF9, but all of the STEP steel is 9.5/10.5 dual radius

• Like 1

Am I the only one that's kind of disappointed that the retails don't come with step steel. I guess for the cost, it makes sense. Even CCM doesn't offer step at the retail level (aside from their current promo). 

Was it ever mentioned what type of steel they are using?

• Like 1

23 hours ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

I'm going to concur with SWPNW (that's still a mouthful) here.  At that age, stiffness can actually be detrimental as it can remove some "feel for the ice" and really won't make much difference from an accelerattion/power standpoint.  Both my kids skated in Makos (my 15 yo son still does) and whether it was M7/M8/MII or original, it really didn't mattter, but they are both very good skaters although have totally different styles.  I see other kids in stiff top of the line boots as SQ/PW and even Bantams, and have very poor mechanics, because they are just "punching the ice". 

All that being said, does anybody really know what difference in stiffness between these boots is going to be?  They're not even out in mass yet.  In the end, as long as they all wrap and give good fit, that's the important thing.  At 77 lbs, differences in stiffness from a performance standpoint will be inconsequential.  So, I wouldn't sweat that issue too much, just make sure he tries them baked and gets  a good wrap and good fit.  The other issue would be this, by spending less, you're less concerned about getting a bit of growth out of them, so, two pairs in one season, but with the best fit, would be better than one more expensive pair with "room to grow" to get more time out of them. 

Of course, it's an opinion, so, take it for what it's worth.

Thank you. I was thinking the same tbh. Best Quality for the budget. Will go to the shop and try them all to decide. It takes five hours to get there so need to arrive fully prepared. 
Again, appreciate all opinions...

6 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

Am I the only one that's kind of disappointed that the retails don't come with step steel. I guess for the cost, it makes sense. Even CCM doesn't offer step at the retail level (aside from their current promo). 

They did not mention who they are sourcing steel from but I am sure it's as good or better than most others at retail. TRUE has a lot of connections with steel, specifically from their relationship in golf clubs. 

9 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

Honestly, they are offering so much at the TF9 price point that, aside from just having hooves and needing customs, they have to give their custom buyers something premium above the TF9. Meaning, if I were a custom buyer because I absolutely couldn't fit retail, it would make me feel a bit better that for my 350 extra $s I'm at least getting a steel upgrade (obviously in addition to the fact that my skates are being built on a custom last). Now, for you and me who are probably TF9 customers, it's a bummer, but for Johnny Chunkfoot he feels a bit better about not being able to just fit retails and save a few hundred bucks. Just playing devil's advocate

Edited by Miller55

1 hour ago, Miller55 said:

Honestly, they are offering so much at the TF9 price point that, aside from just having hooves and needing customs, they have to give their custom buyers something premium above the TF9. Meaning, if I were a custom buyer because I absolutely couldn't fit retail, it would make me feel a bit better that for my 350 extra $s I'm at least getting a steel upgrade (obviously in addition to the fact that my skates are being built on a custom last). Now, for you and me who are probably TF9 customers, it's a bummer, but for Johnny Chunkfoot he feels a bit better about not being able to just fit retails and save a few hundred bucks. Just playing devil's advocate

Fair enough lol. And most ppl buying retails prob could care less about steel. Heck even some pros still like the ls3 stainless. 

• Like 1

On 7/25/2020 at 11:54 AM, Sniper9 said:

CCM bought Step so I doubt that they can get their hands on it for a reasonable wholesale price.

1 hour ago, CigarScott said:

CCM bought Step so I doubt that they can get their hands on it for a reasonable wholesale price.

CCM/STEP will no longer produce steel for third party holders. 

1 hour ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

CCM/STEP will no longer produce steel for third party holders. 

Hope they source tydan for their custom pros. Custom pros shouldn't have their stock steel imo