Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
marka

TRUE TF9/TF7 skates

On 8/1/2020 at 10:21 AM, th6252 said:

While already seemingly a great value for high end skates, they’ve become all the more tempting for me now with the limited time rebate program.

Same here. I'm kind of surprised by this and it makes me think they aren't as high end as some of the other high end skates. 

25 minutes ago, calixguy18 said:

Same here. I'm kind of surprised by this and it makes me think they aren't as high end as some of the other high end skates. 

How do you mean?

4 minutes ago, flip12 said:

How do you mean?

The Tf9 would effectively be $450. Would a $450 skate stand up to a $900+ skate? 

Even at regular price, is the Tf9 supposed to be comparable to other top end skates costing 50% more? There's probably some economic theory behind this thinking...

50 minutes ago, calixguy18 said:

The Tf9 would effectively be $450. Would a $450 skate stand up to a $900+ skate? 

Even at regular price, is the Tf9 supposed to be comparable to other top end skates costing 50% more? There's probably some economic theory behind this thinking...

I paid $450 for my $900 CCM jetspeeds and some of my friends got them for $400. Even at $400 I'm sure the local big box store was making a profit. No one would consider the jetspeeds a $400 skate when they came out, so I don't think comparing a full price product to a sale product makes sense.

1 hour ago, calixguy18 said:

Or you can look at it in a way that CCM and Bauer is grossly overpriced. They are the big names in hockey and can drive prices up at will. It's not a coincidence their top end skates sticks etc are pretty much identical in price. Even when on clearance, there is still a profit being made with their gear. 

Edited by Sniper9

On 8/1/2020 at 1:21 PM, th6252 said:

While already seemingly a great value for high end skates, they’ve become all the more tempting for me now with the limited time rebate program.

Do you have a link for rebate program? Didn't see anything but I haven't really been following..

Regarding their move to knock down the price, my guess is that they're strategy is to make an offer that nobody can refuse. They need to flood the market with their skates to grab a chunk of the retail market. I think they are confident that once people get their feet in them they will be customers for life, so they just need to get feet in their skates. I think it's quite smart.

You also have to factor in the fact that they've been selling full customs at 900 and making money, despite hand making the skates. This should give some idea of how much a Bauer or CCM skate is marked up. If Bauer and CCM are factory producing retails at the same price that True had been making custom lasts and skates by hand, their either True hasn't been making money or Bauer and CCM are laughing all the way to the bank. 

Edited by Miller55

17 minutes ago, Miller55 said:

Do you have a link for rebate program? Didn't see anything but I haven't really been following..

Regarding their move to knock down the price, my guess is that they're strategy is to make an offer that nobody can refuse. They need to flood the market with their skates to grab a chunk of the retail market. I think they are confident that once people get their feet in them they will be customers for life, so they just need to get feet in their skates. I think it's quite smart.

You also have to factor in the fact that they've been selling full customs at 900 and making money, despite hand making the skates. This should give some idea of how much a Bauer or CCM skate is marked up. If Bauer and CCM are factory producing retails at the same price that True had been making custom lasts and skates by hand, their either True hasn't been making money or Bauer and CCM are laughing all the way to the bank. 

Check IW

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

Or you can look at it in a way that CCM and Bauer is grossly overpriced. They are the big names in hockey and can drive prices up at will. It's not a coincidence their top end skates sticks etc are pretty much identical in price. Even when on clearance, there is still a profit being made with their gear. 

3 hours ago, BenBreeg said:

Business models and strategies aren't the same for every companies, especially when comparing orgs of different sizes.

2 hours ago, Miller55 said:

All very good points. My doubts have been alleviated and I'll be giving these a shot. Getting a decent fitting pair of high end skates for $450 would be a dream. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, calixguy18 said:

All very good points. My doubts have been alleviated and I'll be giving these a shot. Getting a decent fitting pair of high end skates for $450 would be a dream. 

Exactly. I'm planning on getting a couple pairs.

My only question now is what's the difference between widths. I need a somewhat wider forefoot, but I don't know if I can get that extra width from a D with a little bit of molding, or if I should jump up to an E. I guess I can just order both and return them. I'll have to check if the standard IW return policy applies here.

I sent a note off to True asking some questions about fit. They responded that yes, these MUST be baked/heat treated prior to use to ensure proper fit. 

Also, their sizing convention is that of Bauer's, if anyone is curious (1.5 sizes down from brannock shoe size.)

3 minutes ago, JSchultz said:

I sent a note off to True asking some questions about fit. They responded that yes, these MUST be baked/heat treated prior to use to ensure proper fit. 

Why did you waste your time doing that? We already said that was the case.

17 minutes ago, JSchultz said:

Also, their sizing convention is that of Bauer's, if anyone is curious (1.5 sizes down from brannock shoe size.)

What about width? I've heard tapered fit, wider in the forefoot than heel. Just wondering if it's more if a vapor or supreme fit or some combination. 

Wow, with that rebate, TF7 for $300 US after tax is real tempting to buy them just to try. I have saved that much money by not playing Friday night pick up for 4 months...

8 hours ago, stick9 said:

You're right, you never mentioned the quarters. That's not really the point. The point here is, you said Trues are the only brand you can bake multiple times without issue. Which by your own admission is completely inaccurate. 

Youre focusing too much on semantics..... 

20 hours ago, flip12 said:

How do you mean?

TRUE is doing the instant rebate program, details are as follows: 

Instant Rebate Program

Save $250 when you spend $800+
Save $150 when you spend $500-$799.99
Save $50 when you spend $200-$499.99

*Excludes custom skates 

Edited by SkateWorksPNW

15 hours ago, Miller55 said:

Exactly. I'm planning on getting a couple pairs.

My only question now is what's the difference between widths. I need a somewhat wider forefoot, but I don't know if I can get that extra width from a D with a little bit of molding, or if I should jump up to an E. I guess I can just order both and return them. I'll have to check if the standard IW return policy applies here.

I was thinking about getting a couple of pairs also but I figure one pair should last a few years and new tech should be out then. We'll see though.

I also have the same width question. I'm slightly wider than a D but not quite a EE (in other skates). Not sure what the True E is like. 

Edited by calixguy18

It's an intriguing offer. I don't know when I'll get back to hockey but I'll need a pair of boots for my Marsblade R1's. I'd be curious about the fit too. It seems that it would work with my foot but would like Mako-like fit with a little bit more room in the toe box area.

1 hour ago, calixguy18 said:

I was thinking about getting a couple of pairs also but I figure one pair should last a few years and new tech should be out then. We'll see though.

I also have the same width question. I'm slightly wider than a D but not quite a EE (in other skates). Not sure what the True E is like. 

Yeah I'm also undecided. To add to all that, I just saw a Dr. About some pain in a broken bone in my foot and tendons around my ankle. He said that it's most likely the stiffness of my boots on a sore area that was previously injured. I figured stiffer boots would be more supportive, but he said that if they're creating to mush pressure, I will feel it. He suggested less stiff/more comfortable boots. He also suggested I wear my old ankle brace, which doesn't fit into my 2s pros...

I'm probably going to wait until local shop gets the Trues in to try them on since this is yet another factor to add into the mix. The only boots that ever were ok with the brace were Tours... In thinking that I might be able to mold the Trues around the brace and then remold them again if I stop wearing it.

2 hours ago, calixguy18 said:

Based on my TRUE scan which shows I am the following:

• Right Foot
  • Width: 102 mm
  • Length: 266.3 mm 
  • Left Foot
  • Width: 99.7 mm
  • Length: 261.9 mm

TRUE said I should consider a wide skate in the TF7/TF9. 

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

Based on my TRUE scan which shows I am the following:

• Right Foot
  • Width: 102 mm
  • Length: 266.3 mm 
  • Left Foot
  • Width: 99.7 mm
  • Length: 261.9 mm

TRUE said I should consider a wide skate in the TF7/TF9. 

Thanks for this. I measured my foot and it's 285.8mm long x 101.6mm w so it seems like I should consider a wide also. I believe you've tried on the TF9; was the assessment from True correct?

11 minutes ago, calixguy18 said:

Thanks for this. I measured my foot and it's 285.8mm long x 101.6mm w so it seems like I should consider a wide also. I believe you've tried on the TF9; was the assessment from True correct?

I think you might not need a wide. Your foot is the same width as his, but it's longer, so the larger size that you take might be ok in a regular width... Just food for thought

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, calixguy18 said:

Their assesment was in fact correct. It put me in a 7.5W TF9. 

28 minutes ago, Miller55 said:

I think you might not need a wide. Your foot is the same width as his, but it's longer, so the larger size that you take might be ok in a regular width... Just food for thought

This is correct, you should divide the length by width and that result can help guid you in a decision. You would be slightly less wide than myself so you could likely fit in a standard width. 

• Like 1