Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
marka

TRUE TF9/TF7 skates

1 hour ago, jlt73 said:

I thought I read the ccm rep saying the EE version is their widest and most volume. 

Gotcha, I think you are right, I was just thinking standard width.

13 minutes ago, BenBreeg said:

Gotcha, I think you are right, I was just thinking standard width.

I guess I will really find out on Tuesday and I’ll report back

18 hours ago, flip12 said:

According to IW a size 9 TF7 and Ultrasonic weighs 949g, TF9 945g and AS3 Pro 921g. Interesting.

What's surprising to me, as someone who owns all of those skates, is that my TRUE customs actually weigh less than any of my other Bauer or CCM custom skates. In fact, my AS3 Pro skates are by far the heaviest. 

When you compare retail skates they are all within 5-10% of each other. The difference usually is in the steel, taller steel will weigh more. 

Reached out to my local Pure Hockey as I realized the discount ends today. Since they offer a 30 day return after skates are baked I figured I might as well give them a try. Unfortunately, PH isn't honoring the True discount. Hockey Monkey is, but they won't accept returns once a skate has been baked. Ah well. Thought they might be worth a shot, but I'm not paying full price or risking them not fitting after I bake them

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Westside said:

Reached out to my local Pure Hockey as I realized the discount ends today. Since they offer a 30 day return after skates are baked I figured I might as well give them a try. Unfortunately, PH isn't honoring the True discount. Hockey Monkey is, but they won't accept returns once a skate has been baked. Ah well. Thought they might be worth a shot, but I'm not paying full price or risking them not fitting after I bake them

You could always buy them from both Monkey and Pure. Bake the Pure ones and if you like them keep the ones you got from Monkey and send the others back to Pure. Not the most ethical thing to do but just saying it can be done.

On 9/5/2020 at 7:21 PM, jlt73 said:

As it goes I’m in the market for new skates. These sounded like they would be a good thing to try so I ordered the TF9.  

some background I’m currently skating in a Nexus EE.   I tried the skates TF9 on without baking and I could barely squeeze my feet in them.   After reading how moldable they are I did end up baking them and unfortunately they will not work for me.   There was not enough room in the forefoot and mid foot.   The heel was great.   The other problem was there was nowhere near enough volume. 

back to the drawing board. I really hope I don’t need to go full custom but damn my feet are funky. 

On 9/6/2020 at 6:22 PM, jlt73 said:

I thought I read the ccm rep saying the EE version is their widest and most volume. 

The Ribcore 80k EE isn't going to work for you. I doubt any retail skate will if your foot barely fits a Nexus EE. Those are some hooves you've got there. My last skates were the 80k and I'd say they are similar to the TF9 in volume and width with the TF9 having a hair more. Let me know how the Fit 3 fits as I haven't tried those on and have been curious. I have high volume feet as well but not nearly as much as yours. 

Custom Trues could work for you. They'd be the same price as top of the line Bauer or CCM right?

Edited by calixguy18

11 minutes ago, calixguy18 said:

The Ribcore 80k EE isn't going to work for you. I doubt any retail skate will if your foot barely fits a Nexus EE. Those are some hooves you've got there. My last skates were the 80k and I'd say they are similar to the TF9 in volume and width with the TF9 having a hair more. Let me know how the Fit 3 fits as I haven't tried those on and have been curious. I have high volume feet as well but not nearly as much as yours. 

Custom Trues could work for you. They'd be the same price as top of the line Bauer or CCM right?

Thanks for the info!  I do have some hooves for sure. Lol. After I see how the fit 3 goes it might just be time to go custom

47 minutes ago, jlt73 said:

Thanks for the info!  I do have some hooves for sure. Lol. After I see how the fit 3 goes it might just be time to go custom

No way based on your size that a FIT3 will work for you. But good luck. 

22 minutes ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

Well crap. Lol.  

2 hours ago, jlt73 said:

Well crap. Lol.  

If you don't want to go custom you can go with a retail skate but you need to work at it and you would have to look at the upper tier range as you need the stretch capability. Buy whatever you can that fits your heel (this is the hardest part to fix if the fit is wrong). Then if it is too narrow across the forefoot get it stretched and punch the toe box if needed. Where your volume fails consider either a thinner tongue and or eyelet extenders, either of these or a combination will fix your volume issues.

I have done this for a number of skaters over the last few years (customs aren't available as there are no in country scanners) and whilst it can take a bit of fiddling to get everything sorted you essentially end up with a custom fit skate.

8 hours ago, Vet88 said:

If you don't want to go custom you can go with a retail skate but you need to work at it and you would have to look at the upper tier range as you need the stretch capability. Buy whatever you can that fits your heel (this is the hardest part to fix if the fit is wrong). Then if it is too narrow across the forefoot get it stretched and punch the toe box if needed. Where your volume fails consider either a thinner tongue and or eyelet extenders, either of these or a combination will fix your volume issues.

I have done this for a number of skaters over the last few years (customs aren't available as there are no in country scanners) and whilst it can take a bit of fiddling to get everything sorted you essentially end up with a custom fit skate.

Thanks for the advice.  I'll be on the look out for these things.  I don't mind working on the skates, I just want comfortable feet while skating.

I went and tried on the True TF9 this past weekend to see what size I would be as the custom pair I have now is second hand. Once I figured out which size would work I went and laced them up to walk around and just make sure there wasn't any heel slippage or weird spots. The issue I had is getting the top two eyelets laced up seemed damn near impossible as the eyelets are set so far back once your foot is in it blocks the eyelets. On my custom True's now with the way they wrap I have to leave the top two eyelets undone just to get my foot in and then lace up the last two eyelets. The store I was at wouldn't bake the skates unless you buy them and there was no way for me to see how accessible the eyelets would be after the bake or if I could get my foot in once baked and the skate entirely laced up. The store I was in didn't bring anything to the table with the fitting process, which isn't surprising, so I'm just going to wait until I can get to a proper store who can help me out.

Just curious if anyone else noticed the eyelet set up and if they had similar experiences on the TF9 or TF7?

3 minutes ago, the_game said:

I went and tried on the True TF9 this past weekend to see what size I would be as the custom pair I have now is second hand. Once I figured out which size would work I went and laced them up to walk around and just make sure there wasn't any heel slippage or weird spots. The issue I had is getting the top two eyelets laced up seemed damn near impossible as the eyelets are set so far back once your foot is in it blocks the eyelets. On my custom True's now with the way they wrap I have to leave the top two eyelets undone just to get my foot in and then lace up the last two eyelets. The store I was at wouldn't bake the skates unless you buy them and there was no way for me to see how accessible the eyelets would be after the bake or if I could get my foot in once baked and the skate entirely laced up. The store I was in didn't bring anything to the table with the fitting process, which isn't surprising, so I'm just going to wait until I can get to a proper store who can help me out.

Just curious if anyone else noticed the eyelet set up and if they had similar experiences on the TF9 or TF7?

The eyelets for me on the TF7/9 are the same as on my customs. I push the tongue forward and then lace the top 2 eyelets from behind. Then I pull the slack back over the front of the tongue. I can make a video if that sounds confusing.

Edited by SkateWorksPNW
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

The eyelets for me on the TF7/9 are the same as on my customs. I push the tongue forward and then lace the top 2 eyelets from behind. Then I pull the slack back over the front of the tongue. I can make a video if that sounds confusing.

Yup, know exactly what you're talking about and thats how I got them laced up, although it was almost impossible to do so. My concern is once the skates are baked will the wrap/curve of that area just make it that much harder to lace up. The eyelets on my custom seem more 'front facing' I guess or closer to the edge of the area where the eyelets are.

Edited by the_game

As per the instructions you flare out the top part after baking which will make the lacing up a little easier. Nevertheless it can be tight. I can get in without undoing the upper eyelets, but if it pops out I can get them back in over the tongue (but it’s a battle).

1 hour ago, nummer55 said:

As per the instructions you flare out the top part after baking which will make the lacing up a little easier. Nevertheless it can be tight. I can get in without undoing the upper eyelets, but if it pops out I can get them back in over the tongue (but it’s a battle).

Can you post those instructions?

2 hours ago, nummer55 said:

For reference here is what I’m referring to, they eyelets seem to be set further back than they are on my customs. I get flaring that part out but isn’t the whole point of the trues the wrap they provide? With my customs I barely have to tighten them up, the wrap provides all the support I need and the eyelets aren’t an issue getting laced up either. 

68A7A7D9-3927-4B11-B4D3-845C47B41F83.jpeg

18 hours ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

So I tried the fit 3 on. It was good on my left foot but a little tight on my right foot.  The heel felt great on both feet.   The thing I didn’t care for much was the ankle padding. I assume it would mold pretty well though after baking. 

25 minutes ago, jlt73 said:

So I tried the fit 3 on. It was good on my left foot but a little tight on my right foot.  The heel felt great on both feet.   The thing I didn’t care for much was the ankle padding. I assume it would mold pretty well though after baking. 

Thats very interesting. You may have been in skates that are too big for you previously. Thats the only way you could squeeze into a FIT3. a FIT3 is more like a Supreme EE/Nexus D as opposed to a Nexus EE in overall design. I have yet to have a single player come into our store that wears a Nexus EE that has been able to fit into a FIT3 skate. 

18 minutes ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

Thats very interesting. You may have been in skates that are too big for you previously. Thats the only way you could squeeze into a FIT3. a FIT3 is more like a Supreme EE/Nexus D as opposed to a Nexus EE in overall design. I have yet to have a single player come into our store that wears a Nexus EE that has been able to fit into a FIT3 skate. 

How does the fit 3 compare to ccm tacks?  They didn’t have any for me to try

2 hours ago, the_game said:

For reference here is what I’m referring to, they eyelets seem to be set further back than they are on my customs. I get flaring that part out but isn’t the whole point of the trues the wrap they provide? With my customs I barely have to tighten them up, the wrap provides all the support I need and the eyelets aren’t an issue getting laced up either. 

So if you only curl out the "edge" of the lacing section I don't think you'll encounter any negative impact on the wrap, its not like you are straightening up the entire top of the boot.

I did curl out the edges on my customs, but have been too lazy to do so on my TF9s, but I found out that getting into the boot I can lace up until one eyelet from the top, while for getting out I need to undo the top two. Once I've figured that out, getting into the boot is no problem anymore, and I don't have to have so much slack that I could pull it over the tongue.

49 minutes ago, jlt73 said:

How does the fit 3 compare to ccm tacks?  They didn’t have any for me to try

I would say a EE in the new Tacks is close to a FIT3 in width but the FIT3 has a little more volume. 

• Thanks 1

On 9/4/2020 at 11:07 PM, start_today said:

Does anyone but us care what skates a player uses? I assume names matter for advertising spots and curve names on sticks, but does anyone have any info on if the general hockey buying public follows player skate choices, and does that in turn drive sales?

I'm sure it affect sales amongst youth players wanting to look like their favorite player but I doubt it has any affect on adult beer leaguers.

But I did buy Callaway clubs since I'm a Phil Mickelson fan and also left-handed, though... 🙂

14 minutes ago, pgeorgan said:

Is the number of eyelets to be undone during lacing an important feature? I see a lot of people discussing it. 

It seems to me that it's really a function of the length of your laces. 

Totally is. I use short laces, 96" on a 7.5 skate, so I have no choice but to remove the laces from the top eyelets. I hate having extra lace flopping around.