Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
marka

TRUE TF9/TF7 skates

4 hours ago, pgeorgan said:

And Vapor 2X line weigh less than all three. Lighter still, the Vapor 1X 2.0, at 840 grams for a regular size 9. And that's with the (same height but heavier) LS4 vs the 2X having the LS5. If you upgrade to LS5 you probably get something closer to the 2S Pro at 810 grams. 

I don't know why the skates are heavier this time around, but 140-ish grams added is definitely noticeable. 

Steel is getting taller and more padding is being added. Compare the v1 of the retail Vapor 1x vs the retail 2x Pro and you will see a significant difference in foams and such. Also, steel got a little taller as well. 

10 hours ago, pgeorgan said:

Is the number of eyelets to be undone during lacing an important feature? I see a lot of people discussing it. 

It seems to me that it's really a function of the length of your laces. 

For me the way my trues wrap/form around my foot starting from the third eyelet down from the top, I need to have the top two eyelets undone in order to get my foot in. Laces are undone and the tongue is pulled out so I can slide my foot in using 'sideways/twist & turn' method to getting my skates on. Thats just me I guess.

On 9/8/2020 at 2:54 PM, jlt73 said:

How does the fit 3 compare to ccm tacks?  They didn’t have any for me to try

On 9/8/2020 at 3:44 PM, SkateWorksPNW said:

I would say a EE in the new Tacks is close to a FIT3 in width but the FIT3 has a little more volume. 

Guys, wrong thread.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, pgeorgan said:

I suspect the boots are just getting heavier for one reason or another. Cost cutting. 

Or they realize that endlessly pursuing weight cuts has limited returns at this point and there are other trade offs they would rather make.

• Like 1

We have a store that sells both tf9 and tf7 here in Vancouver. I ordered both  online and went to the store to bake them. I decided to go for tf9 because of carbon fibre material which supposedly has to last longer. 

Finally these are kind of skates I was looking for. They are suitable for skinny guys with a narrow ankle. As I discovered in the store and especially after baking (and yes, they wrap the ankle around with a transparent band that is usually used for wrapping sandwiches) it is incredibly hard to put them on. Is this the way it supposed to be? Could it be a defective boot or something? I really struggle to squeeze my foot into them and I have a feeling that it is even possible to hurt a foot in some way. Does anyone have the same issues?

But they feel so comfortable once they are on. And ugly 🙂

2 hours ago, transcription said:

We have a store that sells both tf9 and tf7 here in Vancouver. I ordered both  online and went to the store to bake them. I decided to go for tf9 because of carbon fibre material which supposedly has to last longer. 

Finally these are kind of skates I was looking for. They are suitable for skinny guys with a narrow ankle. As I discovered in the store and especially after baking (and yes, they wrap the ankle around with a transparent band that is usually used for wrapping sandwiches) it is incredibly hard to put them on. Is this the way it supposed to be? Could it be a defective boot or something? I really struggle to squeeze my foot into them and I have a feeling that it is even possible to hurt a foot in some way. Does anyone have the same issues?

Go back and have them flare the eyelet cuff:

2 hours ago, transcription said:

Where did u buy them online from. And where did you get them baked in store. Just curious as in from Vancouver. 

Do the cuff flaring above. You can easily do it yourself with a heat gun or even blow dryer just be careful. I'm glad someone in Vancouver uses the shrink wrap technique. 

As for putting on and off. You can also youtube on how to get them on easier.  If you unlace the top two eyelets they should be a lot easier to put on and take off. For me I only need to undo the top eyelet and pull the tongue all the way forward and I'm fine. 

Edited by Sniper9

13 minutes ago, Sniper9 said:

Where did u buy them online from. And where did you get them baked in store. Just curious as in from Vancouver. 

This is https://www.thehockeyshop.com. It’s not actually Vancouver downtown, it’s in Surrey. I hope it still counts 🙂 I’m going to try your advice now. It’s not typical routine, but whatever works to put them on. Thank you.

SkateWorksPNW, thank you for the tip and for the posted video.

Edited by transcription
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, transcription said:

This is https://www.thehockeyshop.com. It’s not actually Vancouver downtown, it’s in Surrey. I hope it still counts 🙂 I’m going to try your advice now. It’s not typical routine, but whatever works to put them on. Thank you.

SkateWorksPNW, thank you for the tip and for the posted video.

I'm guessing you're pretty new to Trues in general. The method i told you about for putting them on and taking them off is pretty common for these skates bc of the insane wrap. 

Ah, yes hockey shop. I didn't realize you bought them online from them and then got them baked there. Thought you did it at two diff places. Did they not have them in stock in the store?  

24 minutes ago, Sniper9 said:

I'm guessing you're pretty new to Trues in general. The method i told you about for putting them on and taking them off is pretty common for these skates bc of the insane wrap. 

Ah, yes hockey shop. I didn't realize you bought them online from them and then got them baked there. Thought you did it at two diff places. Did they not have them in stock in the store?  

I’m completely new to this brand. I came across these skates accidentally, I thought they have only custom ones. I also discovered a “how to” series on Youtube, it’s very informative.

They do have in store, I just didn’t have time to go there. And since it was the last they of promo, I had to act fast and I decided to order them online. They rest assured me that I can take care about the size later. It turned out I needed 7.5, even though I have 8 ccm and bauers.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Jspectacular said:

Does anyone have any info on roller specs? I’ve been in need of new wheels and would seriously consider some trues that aren’t 1k?

What do you want to know? Limited availability, TF7 boots will come with Revision Alu chassis, Revision ABEC9 bearings and Revision Recoil wheels. TF9 boots will come with Revision Mag chassis (same as on customs), Revision Pro+ bearings and Revision Flex wheels. I didn’t search thoroughly, but at least found them on this French dealer website: https://www.france-proshop.com/roller-hockey. Pricing seems like a special introduction offer, but if thats what they will retail for it is incredible value for money.

8 hours ago, nummer55 said:

What do you want to know? Limited availability, TF7 boots will come with Revision Alu chassis, Revision ABEC9 bearings and Revision Recoil wheels. TF9 boots will come with Revision Mag chassis (same as on customs), Revision Pro+ bearings and Revision Flex wheels. I didn’t search thoroughly, but at least found them on this French dealer website: https://www.france-proshop.com/roller-hockey. Pricing seems like a special introduction offer, but if thats what they will retail for it is incredible value for money.

900 dollars is incredible? If you bought the boots with promo and sold the holders and steel you could have paid 350 for the boots and mounted R1s for another 140+ mounting, so 550 mounted. Wheels and bearings at 200 total would put you at 750 US for a much better setup than the stock chassis and wheels. 

Anyway, I had a chance to try these on recently and I'm not going to keep them. Fit was fine, baked nicely and they're really comfortable. I was not a fan of the lower cut boot having injured my ankle in the past, but otherwise the skate is sick. Holders feel really nice and the comfort of the boot is unreal and the heel lock that I got was crazy. I want a huge fan of the thin TF9 tongue, but it could be swapped. The finish is amazing. For sizing, my right foot is a 9.5 and my left is a 9. Sometimes I can get a 9 to fit my right foot and other times not. I have had 9.25 pro stock returns which are ideal for me (not interested in custom ordering skates). I was not able to get the 9 to fit comfortably in this case, so I went with the 9.5r. I know lots of people like the low cut and I have tried on makos. I found these to be a bit more volume and a bit more room above the toes than mako 2.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, OldCY said:

Going to get my TF7 baked this week. Do you need to wait 24 hrs before using them like a traditional skate it is the setting process shorter.

It's best to wait that long but throw them in the fridge for a couple hours and you'll be set

1 hour ago, Miller55 said:

900 dollars is incredible? If you bought the boots with promo and sold the holders and steel you could have paid 350 for the boots and mounted R1s for another 140+ mounting, so 550 mounted. Wheels and bearings at 200 total would put you at 750 US for a much better setup than the stock chassis and wheels. 

Anyway, I had a chance to try these on recently and I'm not going to keep them. Fit was fine, baked nicely and they're really comfortable. I was not a fan of the lower cut boot having injured my ankle in the past, but otherwise the skate is sick. Holders feel really nice and the comfort of the boot is unreal and the heel lock that I got was crazy. I want a huge fan of the thin TF9 tongue, but it could be swapped. The finish is amazing. For sizing, my right foot is a 9.5 and my left is a 9. Sometimes I can get a 9 to fit my right foot and other times not. I have had 9.25 pro stock returns which are ideal for me (not interested in custom ordering skates). I was not able to get the 9 to fit comfortably in this case, so I went with the 9.5r. I know lots of people like the low cut and I have tried on makos. I found these to be a bit more volume and a bit more room above the toes than mako 2.

Are these that much more low cut than ccm or Bauer? They actually may be as ccm has increased the height of the skate at the ankles in the as1... Or thr ft2, I forget which one.  I had the as1 last year and didn't notice the height that much. Def noticed how less comfy they were though, and how painful taking any kind of luck off the boot was. 

Trues are created for optimal ankle flexion and knee bend so it's unfortunate you can't use them bc of your ankle issue. I even drop an eyelet on my trues. I've gone back and forth dropping and not dropping the top eyelet but I ways go back to dropping since it feels the most comfy for me. 

What about your ankle is wrong that you require a higher cut boot. 

Edited by Sniper9

2 hours ago, Miller55 said:

900 dollars is incredible?

I looked at the TF7, which is priced at €350. You’re forgetting the included 20% French sales tax and the strong euro. Plus, I was comparing to other roller hockey brands. Anyway, this is the ice section and this is a random French website. Let’s wait until they are released.

Edited by nummer55

1 hour ago, Sniper9 said:

Are these that much more low cut than ccm or Bauer? They actually may be as ccm has increased the height of the skate at the ankles in the as1... Or thr ft2, I forget which one.  I had the as1 last year and didn't notice the height that much. Def noticed how less comfy they were though, and how painful taking any kind of luck off the boot was. 

Trues are created for optimal ankle flexion and knee bend so it's unfortunate you can't use them bc of your ankle issue. I even drop an eyelet on my trues. I've gone back and forth dropping and not dropping the top eyelet but I ways go back to dropping since it feels the most comfy for me. 

What about your ankle is wrong that you require a higher cut boot. 

I definitely felt like they were less supportive than my 2s pros around the ankle. At the end of the day everything comes with a price and the Supremes, which are better for my lower ankle injury are probably awful for high ankle sprains so obviously nothing is perfect. Before this injury I would have loved the True cut as I definitely like the ankle flexion.

I played once in skates that were too narrow in the heel so I didn't tie them tight and ended up rolling an ankle in them, basically rolled my foot out and landed with my foot under my butt. Crunched the bones on the top of my foot where the ankle tendons connect. ( Obviously as these things go it was the last play and the frames were slightly too short for the boot, plus I had shredded the rear wheel and so I had basically nothing behind me, leaned back expecting to have some wheel there, feet came out from under me, tried to catch myself and went down on my foot). In my Bauer's I feel pretty good, although they're not the most comfortable skate ever, but in the Trues I just felt like that area on the top of my foot and ankle was not as sturdy. It's not because if the fit as the slate for me fairly well, so I'm guessing it was the low cut, but either way it just made me a bit nervous.

1 hour ago, nummer55 said:

I looked at the TF7, which is priced at €350. You’re forgetting the included 20% French sales tax and the strong euro. Plus, I was comparing to other roller hockey brands. Anyway, this is the ice section and this is a random French website. Let’s wait until they are released.

I hear. Yeah the tf7 is ok. Not sure about revision frames but I hate their wheels. Anyway, back to topic

I finally got around to baking my Tf9 yesterday at home in my non-convection gas oven according to the instructions. The results weren't great. I put them in for 6 minutes at 175 degrees (just in case my oven is too hot) and when I took them out, they weren't that malleable so I put them in for in an addition 3 minutes at 180 degrees.This time they were a little better but not much. I put them on anyway and wrapped them with an ace bandage and clear wrap like the videos but it didn't seem to mold much better than my old CCMs. The lace holes didn't really wrap so I took a heat gun to it and got it to wrap a bit more. 

The skates aren't that difficult to take off and only feel slightly better than prebake so I'm guessing they didn't form to my foot very much and a second bake is needed. Should I increase the temperature or leave them in longer? I was already pushing 10 minutes so that makes me nervous. And how should the skates fee when they reach optimum heat level? 

5 minutes ago, calixguy18 said:

I finally got around to baking my Tf9 yesterday at home in my non-convection gas oven according to the instructions. The results weren't great. I put them in for 6 minutes at 175 degrees (just in case my oven is too hot) and when I took them out, they weren't that malleable so I put them in for in an addition 3 minutes at 180 degrees.This time they were a little better but not much. I put them on anyway and wrapped them with an ace bandage and clear wrap like the videos but it didn't seem to mold much better than my old CCMs. The lace holes didn't really wrap so I took a heat gun to it and got it to wrap a bit more. 

The skates aren't that difficult to take off and only feel slightly better than prebake so I'm guessing they didn't form to my foot very much and a second bake is needed. Should I increase the temperature or leave them in longer? I was already pushing 10 minutes so that makes me nervous. And how should the skates fee when they reach optimum heat level? 

Go have them done in a professional skate oven.  You paid way too much for those things to not pay the $25 a pro shop will charge you to bake them!   Also, you need to use a convection oven.  The air circulation helps get the temperature the same inside and out. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, puckstopper said:

Go have them done in a professional skate oven.  You paid way too much for those things to not pay the $25 a pro shop will charge you to bake them!   Also, you need to use a convection oven.  The air circulation helps get the temperature the same inside and out. 

Good point. I just don't trust them to know anything about True skates or the wrap.

4 hours ago, calixguy18 said:

In the instructions supplied with the original VH skates, it was 200F in a convection oven for 8-10 minutes, or 180F in a conventional oven for 15-20 minutes (or until soft). In fact at that time they also recommended watching the following video. But this was pre-2016 before True acquired VH, so use this info at your own risk.

I want to give the True's a shot but would like some feedback on size before I order online so I don't have to tie up a ton of funds.

I was in a Supreme 8.5D but my right heel wasn't fully locked, length was fine, and they felt a little too narrow- right foot would be tingly/numb at the end of a game. Went to a nearby shop and had my feet scanned with a Bauer scanner. Unfortunately I don't remember the numerics but I know that 8.5 was good for length and my left foot is a D width while my right was creeping up to an E. I tried on a bunch of skates before buying a pair of CCM 78k in 9D, which felt fine post bake at the store but after skating a game I don't think the fit is right.  They're definitely longer, despite the foot bed being the same size as my Bauer's, and when I tried the 8.5D in the 78k my toes were jammed in- not painful just a little bunched which in hindsight may have been alleviated after baking. The heel slip issue is gone in the CCM's but the discomfort in my right foot is still there albeit not as bad, and I had some weird lace bite/ankle pressure issue where the 2nd and 3rd eyelet from the top of the skate are located on my foot.

I've seen mixed responses regarding the length on True's, where it seems Bauer is the same while CCM is down a half size. I'm also not sure if I should go R or W since I don't quite push into an EE; using the trace method my length/width ratios are 2.55 for left and 2.45 for right. I was thinking of ordering an 8R and 8.5R to try since IW doesn't have any 8W available right now. Thanks in advance!