Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
marka

TRUE TF9/TF7 skates

28 minutes ago, DropGloveMurphy said:

I want to give the True's a shot but would like some feedback on size before I order online so I don't have to tie up a ton of funds.

I was in a Supreme 8.5D but my right heel wasn't fully locked, length was fine, and they felt a little too narrow- right foot would be tingly/numb at the end of a game. Went to a nearby shop and had my feet scanned with a Bauer scanner. Unfortunately I don't remember the numerics but I know that 8.5 was good for length and my left foot is a D width while my right was creeping up to an E. I tried on a bunch of skates before buying a pair of CCM 78k in 9D, which felt fine post bake at the store but after skating a game I don't think the fit is right.  They're definitely longer, despite the foot bed being the same size as my Bauer's, and when I tried the 8.5D in the 78k my toes were jammed in- not painful just a little bunched which in hindsight may have been alleviated after baking. The heel slip issue is gone in the CCM's but the discomfort in my right foot is still there albeit not as bad, and I had some weird lace bite/ankle pressure issue where the 2nd and 3rd eyelet from the top of the skate are located on my foot.

I've seen mixed responses regarding the length on True's, where it seems Bauer is the same while CCM is down a half size. I'm also not sure if I should go R or W since I don't quite push into an EE; using the trace method my length/width ratios are 2.55 for left and 2.45 for right. I was thinking of ordering an 8R and 8.5R to try since IW doesn't have any 8W available right now. Thanks in advance!

Unless you have an extremly wide foot I would go with a regular width TRUE skate.

I am a genuine E width foot and the regular width TRUE skate fits nicely. The wide was a bit too much width and volume. 

Most people have gone down half size in TRUE skates vs Bauer and CCM, thus if you are wearing a 8.5 you might want to consider a size 8.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

Unless you have an extremly wide foot I would go with a regular width TRUE skate.

I am a genuine E width foot and the regular width TRUE skate fits nicely. The wide was a bit too much width and volume. 

Most people have gone down half size in TRUE skates vs Bauer and CCM, thus if you are wearing a 8.5 you might want to consider a size 8.

+1 for going down a half size in True vs Bauer or CCM.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Larry54 said:

In the instructions supplied with the original VH skates, it was 200F in a convection oven for 8-10 minutes, or 180F in a conventional oven for 15-20 minutes (or until soft). In fact at that time they also recommended watching the following video. But this was pre-2016 before True acquired VH, so use this info at your own risk.

Thanks for the video. Crazy how pliable the skates became. They probably changed their formula because the included instructions say to put it in a home oven for 6 minutes at 180 degrees. It doesn't specifically say convection oven for home.

2 hours ago, DropGloveMurphy said:

I want to give the True's a shot but would like some feedback on size before I order online so I don't have to tie up a ton of funds.

I was in a Supreme 8.5D but my right heel wasn't fully locked, length was fine, and they felt a little too narrow- right foot would be tingly/numb at the end of a game. Went to a nearby shop and had my feet scanned with a Bauer scanner. Unfortunately I don't remember the numerics but I know that 8.5 was good for length and my left foot is a D width while my right was creeping up to an E. I tried on a bunch of skates before buying a pair of CCM 78k in 9D, which felt fine post bake at the store but after skating a game I don't think the fit is right.  They're definitely longer, despite the foot bed being the same size as my Bauer's, and when I tried the 8.5D in the 78k my toes were jammed in- not painful just a little bunched which in hindsight may have been alleviated after baking. The heel slip issue is gone in the CCM's but the discomfort in my right foot is still there albeit not as bad, and I had some weird lace bite/ankle pressure issue where the 2nd and 3rd eyelet from the top of the skate are located on my foot.

I've seen mixed responses regarding the length on True's, where it seems Bauer is the same while CCM is down a half size. I'm also not sure if I should go R or W since I don't quite push into an EE; using the trace method my length/width ratios are 2.55 for left and 2.45 for right. I was thinking of ordering an 8R and 8.5R to try since IW doesn't have any 8W available right now. Thanks in advance!

I went from a 8.5 EE CCM to a 8.5 W True and probably could have gone down half a size. I just realized that when my arch collapses (flat feet, foot rolls inward), my big toe moves forward some. So when I stand, my feet fit fit the 8.5. When I take weight off, it could definitely go down to an 8. 

When going from a R to a W, do they just make it wider at the toebox or do they add volume as well (more than the inherit volume from being wider)? 

So none of the pure hockey stores in my area stock the tf7 so I tried on the 9 and they fit great, can anyone confirm if the sizing and general fit would be the same in the 7? I usually don't like buying skates without trying on but if they fit the same then I'll buy the 7 online

2 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

So tf7 is true to size for u?

I didn't bake the 7s, but they definitely felt more snug. I wear 9.5 Bauer Supreme D and I usually have to punch out the pinky toe are and forefoot, sometimes also the arch area. In the TF9s I could do 9 on my left (smaller) foot and 9.5 on my larger right foot. In the TF7s I needed a 9.5 even for my left foot, and the 9.5 TF7s were fine on my right as well. If I would have kept them I would have punched a bit in the forefoot of the right, but that's basically it.

Edited by Miller55

On 9/3/2020 at 2:07 PM, SkateWorksPNW said:

I got my 7.0R, 7.0W, 7.5R, and 7.5W skates today. I measure the following in custom skates:

Right Foot
Width: 102 mm
Length: 266.3 mm

Left Foot
Width: 99.7 mm
Length: 261.9 mm

In the TF7 I wear a 7.5W and in the TF9 I wear a 7.0W. I could maybe fit the R width but it was a little tighter than I prefer and I figure once I start skating and my foot swells a little they would likely be uncomfortable. I assume the lower profile tongue of the TF9 allows me to fit into a slightly smaller skate. 

When I swapped the TF9 tongue into the TF7 in a size 7.0 it seems to fit fine. 

All of this testing was done with the skates unbaked and also baked. Baking them changes the fit dramatically. 

See the post above. This suggests to me that the TF7 and TF9 boots are the same shape and length, but the TF7 feels smaller due to the thicker tongue. 

6 hours ago, Miller55 said:

I didn't bake the 7s, but they definitely felt more snug. I wear 9.5 Bauer Supreme D and I usually have to punch out the pinky toe are and forefoot, sometimes also the arch area. In the TF9s I could do 9 on my left (smaller) foot and 9.5 on my larger right foot. In the TF7s I needed a 9.5 even for my left foot, and the 9.5 TF7s were fine on my right as well. If I would have kept them I would have punched a bit in the forefoot of the right, but that's basicall

9 hours ago, kyleo29 said:

So none of the pure hockey stores in my area stock the tf7 so I tried on the 9 and they fit great, can anyone confirm if the sizing and general fit would be the same in the 7? I usually don't like buying skates without trying on but if they fit the same then I'll buy the 7 online

Pure is not going to stock or order the TF7, only the TF9. 

On 9/16/2020 at 1:18 AM, kyleo29 said:

I’m 9 in Bauer and 8.5 in the TF7, even pre-bake. Try both your CCM/Bauer size and -0.5 in the TF7 if you can. I’m glad I did thanks to @Hillsawesome review! 

• Like 3

Is the size difference only because of the low profile tongue on the tf9 though, or the build?  If it's just bc of the tongue I would stick with the same size as I would swap to the felt tongue. I like the felt tongue. Even changing how far the tongue goes into the toebox changes how far your toes goes forward. I assume bc the low profile is thinner it doesn't reduce the volume in the toebox as much causing the feeling of more length. 

I'd be interested to see if the physical length is actually different between the tf7 and tf9. I'd assume the footbeds are identical. 

11 hours ago, G14 said:

I’m 9 in Bauer and 8.5 in the TF7, even pre-bake. Try both your CCM/Bauer size and -0.5 in the TF7 if you can. I’m glad I did thanks to @Hillsawesome review! 

My son and I have similar results. Both half, (0.5), (1/2) size smaller in tf7 than bauer vapors. 

• Like 1

Picked up the TF7 in 8R and 8.5R; ended up preferring the fit of the 8 so I baked them and am having a trouble spot on the instep right below the logo running down to the blue striping as shown here:

TF7 Trouble Spot

It feels like the boot has a big bump in it which is most noticeable when standing up and it sits on the side of my foot in the middle of my arch. Dropping into hockey stance makes it mostly go away. Anyone else experience this and have a recommendation on how to address it? Left foot is worse than the right but it's an issue in both skates. It wasn't as prevalent before baking and I have tried swapping out the insoles with thinner ones to see if that helped, it did not. I put the unbaked 8.5 on and noticed it in that pair as well. Beside this the boots feel great and I love how much they mold to my foot. For reference I'm home baking in a convection oven set to 170 for 6 minutes and following the wrap instructions (lace at 70% tightness, wrap, 5 minutes sitting, stand briefly, 5 more minutes sitting, unwrap and roll top eyelet area for easy on/off). The instructions call for oven set to 180 but my oven thermometer shows my oven runs hotter than set and I didn't want to risk damaging them.

57 minutes ago, DropGloveMurphy said:

Picked up the TF7 in 8R and 8.5R; ended up preferring the fit of the 8 so I baked them and am having a trouble spot on the instep right below the logo running down to the blue striping as shown here:

TF7 Trouble Spot

It feels like the boot has a big bump in it which is most noticeable when standing up and it sits on the side of my foot in the middle of my arch. Dropping into hockey stance makes it mostly go away. Anyone else experience this and have a recommendation on how to address it? Left foot is worse than the right but it's an issue in both skates. It wasn't as prevalent before baking and I have tried swapping out the insoles with thinner ones to see if that helped, it did not. I put the unbaked 8.5 on and noticed it in that pair as well. Beside this the boots feel great and I love how much they mold to my foot. For reference I'm home baking in a convection oven set to 170 for 6 minutes and following the wrap instructions (lace at 70% tightness, wrap, 5 minutes sitting, stand briefly, 5 more minutes sitting, unwrap and roll top eyelet area for easy on/off). The instructions call for oven set to 180 but my oven thermometer shows my oven runs hotter than set and I didn't want to risk damaging them.

Which arch inserts are u using low medium or high?  Can u feel these bumps even if u tie them somewhat loosely?  Can u feel this "bump" with your fingers inside the boot? If not it could be your foot and not the actual boot. Especially if you say you feel it with both skates, it's less likely a manufacturing defect. 

What I'd do is tie them snug , somewhere in the area of how you would during game play.  Then use a heat gun and spot heat that area just enough so it softens. Be careful not to overheat and don't just point the gun into the area and hold it there. Fan it back and forth a bit holding it a few inches away. That area when soft should relax and it should be enough to have the problem area loosen up just enough. This is assuming that this area is too tight and or has an area that doesn't conform to your door shape in that spot. 

You can also do the tissue method by putting a small shim in the form of packed tissue on ur foot where u feel the pressure. Heat gun the area u posted, put the skates on, and the shim will create space with the softened area of the boot. 

Both these methods prevent u having to rebake. 

I personally think the issue may be because the boots are stock and the baking instructions are only 6 mins. Far less than custom trues, so they don't get quite as malleable as the customs so some oddities between ur foot and the stock skate isn't resolved as well as if the boot were baked longer and softer. That's why I like the heat gun method. You can attack the exact area causing u problems. 

Of course there are many other reasons causing the discomfort like ur actual arch vs the arch of the skate. That's why I would fiddle with the arch inserts and even leave tension  first before going with the heat gun.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

Which arch inserts are u using low medium or high?  Can u feel these bumps even if u tie them somewhat loosely?  Can u feel this "bump" with your fingers inside the boot? If not it could be your foot and not the actual boot. Especially if you say you feel it with both skates, it's less likely a manufacturing defect. 

What I'd do is tie them snug , somewhere in the area of how you would during game play.  Then use a heat gun and spot heat that area just enough so it softens. Be careful not to overheat and don't just point the gun into the area and hold it there. Fan it back and forth a bit holding it a few inches away. That area when soft should relax and it should be enough to have the problem area loosen up just enough. This is assuming that this area is too tight and or has an area that doesn't conform to your door shape in that spot. 

You can also do the tissue method by putting a small shim in the form of packed tissue on ur foot where u feel the pressure. Heat gun the area u posted, put the skates on, and the shim will create space with the softened area of the boot. 

I personally think the issue may be because the boots are stock and the baking instructions are only 6 mins. Far less than custom trues, so they don't get quite as malleable as the customs so some oddities between ur foot and the stock skate isn't resolved as well as if the boot were baked longer and softer. That's why I like the heat gun method. You can attack the exact area causing u problems. 

Of course there are many other reasons causing the discomfort like ur actual arch vs the arch of the skate. That's why I would fiddle with the arch inserts and even leave tension  first before going with the heat gun.

Thank you for the thorough response! In hindsight when I said arch I should have said midfoot as the pressure point is above the actual arch on the side of the foot. I was using low arch but I'll give the inserts a try and see if they help at all. There is a dimple present on the outside of the boot and I can feel it protruding inside as well, it was noticeable during the baking process too. I had never noticed anything odd about my foot in that spot before and checking again I still didn't notice anything. I'll give your suggestions a go and report back.

1 hour ago, DropGloveMurphy said:

Thank you for the thorough response! In hindsight when I said arch I should have said midfoot as the pressure point is above the actual arch on the side of the foot. I was using low arch but I'll give the inserts a try and see if they help at all. There is a dimple present on the outside of the boot and I can feel it protruding inside as well, it was noticeable during the baking process too. I had never noticed anything odd about my foot in that spot before and checking again I still didn't notice anything. I'll give your suggestions a go and report back.

Spot heat the area with a heat gun and push the dimple out.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

44 minutes ago, boo10 said:

Spot heat the area with a heat gun and push the dimple out.

Spent some time working on the skates and the inserts are definitely not the issue. Got my heat gun out and pushed on that spot a bit which helped but it's still there. I decided to lean into the discomfort a bit so I could really pinpoint the spot on my foot and it seems I do have a bit of bone at the pressure point. Never noticed it in my other skates, even grabbed those and put them on to double check but since they don't mold the same there wasn't any pressure on that spot and is likely why I never thought it to be odd. I'll try the tissue shim either later today or tomorrow and hopefully that'll take care of it.

Gotta be honest, having the TRUE's on with my CCM and Bauer's back to back is like night and day how sloppy the CCM and Bauer's feel on my foot. I hope I get this pressure point thing worked out so I can start using the TF7's soon and see how they feel on the ice.

Spent some time working on the skates and the inserts are definitely not the issue. Got my heat gun out and pushed on that spot a bit which helped but it's still there. I decided to lean into the discomfort a bit so I could really pinpoint the spot on my foot and it seems I do have a bit of bone at the pressure point. Never noticed it in my other skates, even grabbed those and put them on to double check but since they don't mold the same there wasn't any pressure on that spot and is likely why I never thought it to be odd. I'll try the tissue shim either later today or tomorrow and hopefully that'll take care of it.

Gotta be honest, having the TRUE's on with my CCM and Bauer's back to back is like night and day how sloppy the CCM and Bauer's feel on my foot. I hope I get this pressure point thing worked out so I can start using the TF7's soon and see how they feel on the ice.

Can you share some pics of this area on the actual skate?

Can you share some pics of this area on the actual skate?

Gallery

If those don't help give me an idea of what kind of view you're looking for. I didn't take pictures of the inside, but when I run my finger around that area on each skate I can feel a small bump under the bottom of the TF7 badge and a bump where the foam starts to thicken at the bottom corner edge of the silver stripes. After using the heat gun the right is less obtrusive than the left; I had already done the left before I saw the recommendation to try and push that spot back out and I haven't had a chance to go back and heat it again.

Gallery

If those don't help give me an idea of what kind of view you're looking for. I didn't take pictures of the inside, but when I run my finger around that area on each skate I can feel a small bump under the bottom of the TF7 badge and a bump where the foam starts to thicken at the bottom corner edge of the silver stripes. After using the heat gun the right is less obtrusive than the left; I had already done the left before I saw the recommendation to try and push that spot back out and I haven't had a chance to go back and heat it again.

That indent right there is super strange... like almost looks like someone was pushing hard in that area into your foot when it was being baked.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Hills said:

That indent right there is super strange... like almost looks like someone was pushing hard in that area into your foot when it was being baked.

It's present on the 8.5 that I didn't bake as well. Based on the position I'm guessing that it's got something to do with the seam between the painted fiberglass and the rest of the boot.

29 minutes ago, Buzz_LightBeer said:

would that be where the edge of the wrap was and made a crease in the boot?

No, I used an ace bandage starting on the ankle wrapping down to the forefoot and the only bunching was on the holder otherwise the ace wrap was flat.