Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
marka

TRUE TF9/TF7 skates

9 hours ago, DropGloveMurphy said:

It's present on the 8.5 that I didn't bake as well. Based on the position I'm guessing that it's got something to do with the seam between the painted fiberglass and the rest of the boot.

I’m confused by this description. The shell on the TF models covers 90% of the area of the boot. It runs under the surface for a lot of it but it doesn’t stop around the midfoot, where your problem area is.

6 hours ago, flip12 said:

I’m confused by this description. The shell on the TF models covers 90% of the area of the boot. It runs under the surface for a lot of it but it doesn’t stop around the midfoot, where your problem area is.

Maybe overlay would be a more appropriate term? The seam where the glossy black of the boot and the textured overlay are joined.

Looking at the skates again with fresh eyes this morning and this was wrong.

Edited by DropGloveMurphy
Updated information

14 minutes ago, the_game said:

I'm just curious where you bought those from, because I'm with @Hills looks like someone baked them and pushed down on that spot. Maybe your skates were baked previously to them being sent to you?

Purchased from IW. Anyone else with TF7's able to chime in on whether you have an indent in the same place on your skates?

I tried the tissue method last night and it helped a little, but it's not gone. How much is too much with heating these things? I can give it another go but I also want to be able to return them or warranty claim them if this doesn't work.

So I am in a debacle with the TF9. I am coming from a CCM Jetspeed skate in 8.5D so I ordered the TF9 in an 8.5R. At first fit (no baking) the skate felt great the only issue was my toes were crammed in the toe box. They were not feathering the toe box, but they also were not crunched in there, so I baked the skate with out doing the saran wrap. At home the skates felt great, but once I got on the ice and my feet felt crunched again in the toe box. After all that, I thought the skate was too small, but I couldnt return them because of baking so I ordered the 9R. At home felt great maybe a little big so I wore a thicker sock than I normally would. Baked, and skated they felt okay. Still felt big like my foot was swimming. What do I do here? After watching the @Hill review on youtube, I feel like the 8.5 are the skate I need but I just came on here for some guidence. Will wrapping the skate with the saran/shrink wrap help pull my foot further back into the heel pocket? Can you get the toe box punched out on these skates? 

Also, any recommendations for a replacement tongue? Coming from a skate that always had a felt tongue for 25 years, the one on the tf9 seems a little stiff. 

13 hours ago, DropGloveMurphy said:

Purchased from IW. Anyone else with TF7's able to chime in on whether you have an indent in the same place on your skates?

I tried the tissue method last night and it helped a little, but it's not gone. How much is too much with heating these things? I can give it another go but I also want to be able to return them or warranty claim them if this doesn't work.

If u heat gun that area until soft you should be able to easily push it out with minimum to moderate pressure from the inside of the boot. My guess is you aren't heating it enough, or these boots are no where near as malleable as the customs.  But those indents do not look normal. 

4 hours ago, jrchecker8 said:

So I am in a debacle with the TF9. I am coming from a CCM Jetspeed skate in 8.5D so I ordered the TF9 in an 8.5R. At first fit (no baking) the skate felt great the only issue was my toes were crammed in the toe box. They were not feathering the toe box, but they also were not crunched in there, so I baked the skate with out doing the saran wrap. At home the skates felt great, but once I got on the ice and my feet felt crunched again in the toe box. After all that, I thought the skate was too small, but I couldnt return them because of baking so I ordered the 9R. At home felt great maybe a little big so I wore a thicker sock than I normally would. Baked, and skated they felt okay. Still felt big like my foot was swimming. What do I do here? After watching the @Hill review on youtube, I feel like the 8.5 are the skate I need but I just came on here for some guidence. Will wrapping the skate with the saran/shrink wrap help pull my foot further back into the heel pocket? Can you get the toe box punched out on these skates? 

Also, any recommendations for a replacement tongue? Coming from a skate that always had a felt tongue for 25 years, the one on the tf9 seems a little stiff. 

If you took the advice form @Hills you'd be wearing an 8R, as he's saying you should go down half a size from Bauer / CCM. 

Using the saran does push the heel a bit more into the pocket, but it a depends. I personally don't think you should be a 9R. Never try to wear thick socks to fit into a skate. 

The only thing I can think of is that when you're skating your feet swells a bit so that might be why you feel more of the toe cap. You use the word crammed but sat not crunched but then say crunched when you're on the ice? I'm confused.

Try adjusting the tongue and how far it goes into the toe box. The further the tongue is in the toe box, the more it'll flatten your toes and they will spread and becoming "longer" causing them to touch more of the toe cap. If this isn't the issue then you can see if there's a foam liner at the end of the toe box that you can peel off to give you an extra mm or two. 

You can get the felt tongues through true directly, on sideline, or a local true dealer in-store. 

Your issue is kind of weird how one size seems too small and half a size up seems too big. 

And regarding the can't return the skates bc they are baked, most places won't even be able to tell is the skates have been baked or not. The issue will be they ur steel is sharpened. 

Edited by Sniper9

1 hour ago, Sniper9 said:

If you took the advice form @Hills you'd be wearing an 8R, as he's saying you should go down half a size from Bauer / CCM. 

Using the saran does push the heel a bit more into the pocket, but it a depends. I personally don't think you should be a 9R. Never try to wear thick socks to fit into a skate. 

The only thing I can think of is that when you're skating your feet swells a bit so that might be why you feel more of the toe cap. You use the word crammed but sat not crunched but then say crunched when you're on the ice? I'm confused.

Try adjusting the tongue and how far it goes into the toe box. The further the tongue is in the toe box, the more it'll flatten your toes and they will spread and becoming "longer" causing them to touch more of the toe cap. If this isn't the issue then you can see if there's a foam liner at the end of the toe box that you can peel off to give you an extra mm or two. 

You can get the felt tongues through true directly, on sideline, or a local true dealer in-store. 

Your issue is kind of weird how one size seems too small and half a size up seems too big. 

And regarding the can't return the skates bc they are baked, most places won't even be able to tell is the skates have been baked or not. The issue will be they ur steel is sharpened. 

I like to recommend players do some exercising before baking their skates, jumping jacks and such. Another option is they come to the store after doing dry land training or working out at the gym or similar.

Peoples feet typically swell during exercise, on ice or off ice, so that's the best time to fit the skate to their foot. 

8 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

Sorry to be confusing, I meant crammed. I will try and bring the tongue further out and also re-bake and wrap them and see if that makes a difference. I did pull the footbeds out of my old CCM skates and the TF9 and the ccm is slightly longer, but like hill said in his video, not long enough to make up that half an inch. Would some superfeet also help bring the foot back any?

1 hour ago, jrchecker8 said:

Sorry to be confusing, I meant crammed. I will try and bring the tongue further out and also re-bake and wrap them and see if that makes a difference. I did pull the footbeds out of my old CCM skates and the TF9 and the ccm is slightly longer, but like hill said in his video, not long enough to make up that half an inch. Would some superfeet also help bring the foot back any?

Your issue sounds like it could be a width issue. The boots a little too narrow at the end leaving you feeling cramped.

I'd rebake the 8.5's without wrapping them. Just do a standard bake and see if the forefoot opens up a bit. That might help with the crammed feeling. Try to do it at the end of the day as your feet swell over the course of the day.

To triple check the length. Pull the innersoles and stand in them. It's just a point of reference. The other thing to check is holder size between the True's and your ccm's. They should be close if not the same size. Again, just a reference point.

12 minutes ago, stick9 said:

Your issue sounds like it could be a width issue. The boots a little too narrow at the end leaving you feeling cramped.

I'd rebake the 8.5's without wrapping them. Just do a standard bake and see if the forefoot opens up a bit. That might help with the crammed feeling. Try to do it at the end of the day as your feet swell over the course of the day.

To triple check the length. Pull the innersoles and stand in them. It's just a point of reference. The other thing to check is holder size between the True's and your ccm's. They should be close if not the same size. Again, just a reference point.

The boot width feels fine at the end, my toes are touching the toe box, not feathering. I will pull the soles and snap some pictures for reference. I wouldnt think holder size would be any different from the true to the ccm but I could be wrong so i will check that too. I do feel like my heel is not sitting all the way back in the skate so thats why i thought the wrapping my help with that

3 hours ago, jrchecker8 said:

Ccm is longer? Wasn't the trues longer? Everything I've read is the Trues 1/2 a size bigger not shorter than CCM and Bauer. 

1 minute ago, Sniper9 said:

Ccm is longer? Wasn't the trues longer? Everything I've read is the Trues 1/2 a size bigger not shorter than CCM and Bauer. 

Yea the ccm footbed 8.5D was a little bit longer than the true 8.5R. Go to 4:23 in the video below. That is exactly how mine measure up too

26 minutes ago, jrchecker8 said:

Yea the ccm footbed 8.5D was a little bit longer than the true 8.5R. Go to 4:23 in the video below. That is exactly how mine measure up too

What jetspeed skate did you have btw. 

3 hours ago, jrchecker8 said:

That was an 8R foot bed and an 8.5 EE CCM

2 hours ago, jrchecker8 said:

The original ones, i think they came out in 2015

The original Jetspeed fits half a size larger than current gen CCM skates.  As such, if you were in an 8.5 Jetspeed you should be an 8.5 in True.

Also, for what it's worth, I did not have the same experience as Hills with needing to downsize between CCM and True.  I do technically have a 7.75D foot though, so if you're between sizes you may not have to size down from current gen CCM skates.

47 minutes ago, boo10 said:

The original Jetspeed fits half a size larger than current gen CCM skates.  As such, if you were in an 8.5 Jetspeed you should be an 8.5 in True.

Also, for what it's worth, I did not have the same experience as Hills with needing to downsize between CCM and True.  I do technically have a 7.75D foot though, so if you're between sizes you may not have to size down from current gen CCM skates.

interesting thanks for the info. below are the true footbed on top of the ccm and also next to it. Also i took a look at the holders, the True has a 272 on it My CCM has has a 280. Could it possible that true put the wrong tongue on the 8.5R and these skates are actually an 8R? 

tb4s28K.jpg6vGj1wd.jpg

I think I have this solved! I was checking around on the True boot (inside to be specific) looking to see if the put a size on the boot anywhere. I thought to myself no way they wouldnt put the size only on the tongue if the tongue is interchangeable. I unlaced both of the skates that have the 8.5 size on the tongue and under the footbed toward the toe cap there is a white sticker that has 8R for the right skate and 8L for the left skate even though the tongue of the skate says 8.5. So I grabbed the 9R True that I had ordered because i thought the 8.5 was too small and low and behold the 9R has 9L for the left skate and 9R for the right skate. I believe someone at the factory has put the wrong tongue on the wrong boot. I just hope that True will work with me now to get this issue solved.

24 minutes ago, jrchecker8 said:

I think I have this solved! I was checking around on the True boot (inside to be specific) looking to see if the put a size on the boot anywhere. I thought to myself no way they wouldnt put the size only on the tongue if the tongue is interchangeable. I unlaced both of the skates that have the 8.5 size on the tongue and under the footbed toward the toe cap there is a white sticker that has 8R for the right skate and 8L for the left skate even though the tongue of the skate says 8.5. So I grabbed the 9R True that I had ordered because i thought the 8.5 was too small and low and behold the 9R has 9L for the left skate and 9R for the right skate. I believe someone at the factory has put the wrong tongue on the wrong boot. I just hope that True will work with me now to get this issue solved.

Tx9SoBT.jpgAEDD3Sw.jpgBkGWqh4.jpg

• Like 2

Nice catch. So it means that 8.5 will probably be perfect for you. I don't think you'll have an issue taking care of that. Good luck.

Edited by Miller55