Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
marka

TRUE TF9/TF7 skates

2 hours ago, jrchecker8 said:

Tx9SoBT.jpgAEDD3Sw.jpgBkGWqh4.jpg

Lol that makes total sense now. But I'd be interested to see if half sizes actually are stamped in that area or if it's another code indicating it's a half size.... Maybe someone on her who got a half size can chime in with a picture of theirs. If this is true, glad it worked out. 

Are your footbeds size stamped with stickers? The customs had sizes on their footbeds. 

As for your jetspeeds, that's why I asked which version you have bc ad mentioned previously, your version jetspeeds aren't true to size. So your 8.5 fit more like 9 in CCM/Bauer now a days. 

3 hours ago, boo10 said:

The original Jetspeed fits half a size larger than current gen CCM skates.  As such, if you were in an 8.5 Jetspeed you should be an 8.5 in True.

Also, for what it's worth, I did not have the same experience as Hills with needing to downsize between CCM and True.  I do technically have a 7.75D foot though, so if you're between sizes you may not have to size down from current gen CCM skates.

I'm a size 7 left and 6.5 right.  I might just stick with customs and forget about the guessing game with sizing since most shops don't stock these and mainly available online. Although sport chek does have returns in store for items purchased online. And phl has free return shipping. 

But who am I kidding. My current custom trues are only a year old and have years of life left. 

Edited by Sniper9
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

I'm a size 7 left and 6.5 right.  I might just stick with customs and forget about the guessing game with sizing since most shops don't stock these and mainly available online. Although sport chek does have returns in store for items purchased online. And phl has free return shipping. 

But who am I kidding. My current custom trues are only a year old and have years of life left. 

Curious, why on earth would you buy these, or any other skate for that matter, if you have custom made skates? 

16 hours ago, jrchecker8 said:

Knowing True... I wouldn't be surprised if the half sizes are the same overall length as the full sizes but they add/remove padding to make up the difference. Isn't there a True rep on here that could answer that?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stick9 said:

Curious, why on earth would you buy these, or any other skate for that matter, if you have custom made skates? 

I have TRUE custom skates and a pair of TF9 skates too. They fit very close to one another and since I dont have any major foot issues I wanted to see just how well the TF9 fit as compared to the custom. I actually think the TF9 has a little more comfort since it has thicker padding in it compared to my customs, or the padding in my customs has worn down and compressed over time. 

I need at least 2 pairs of skates since I am on the ice so often. For example, Sunday I played in 3 games! It was nice to be able to swap between skates since none of the games were back-to-back. 

My only issue is I use a 271/272 holder and the standard size 7.0 skate comes with a 263 holder. Not a huge deal though since I took off the Shift holder and put on an LS Edge holder since I need something that works with Flare steel. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hills said:

Knowing True... I wouldn't be surprised if the half sizes are the same overall length as the full sizes but they add/remove padding to make up the difference. Isn't there a True rep on here that could answer that?

Hopefully they can chime in and answer. They don’t return phone calls or answer emails very quickly.

1 hour ago, Hills said:

Just checked and there is padding at the very end of the skate in the toe box. Waiting to hear from true before I remove anything

4 hours ago, stick9 said:

For my next pair. If I can save 500 on pretty much the same performance and comfort in skates, why not. 

3 hours ago, Hills said:

You'd think 8.5 would be a 9 with toe plugs in the end cap to make it half a size smaller  though, not the other way around. 

1 hour ago, jrchecker8 said:

Just checked and there is padding at the very end of the skate in the toe box. Waiting to hear from true before I remove anything

The padding is likely just a thin strip so your toes aren't exposed directly to the carbon she'll and adds some padding. Im pretty sure you got a skate that, like you said, had the wrong tongue put on.  If I were you I'd return both skates and order another 8.5. The good news is it's not your mistake and the shop should honor the exchange. 

Reach out to them via Instagram or Facebook. The person who handles the social media accounts is really good at replying. Just send him the pictures via either those platforms. I'd suggest Instagram since it looks like it's more active. 

Edited by Sniper9
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Sniper9 said:

For my next pair. If I can save 500 on pretty much the same performance and comfort in skates, why not. 

You'd think 8.5 would be a 9 with toe plugs in the end cap to make it half a size smaller  though, not the other way around. 

The padding is likely just a thin strip so your toes aren't exposed directly to the carbon she'll and adds some padding. Im pretty sure you got a skate that, like you said, had the wrong tongue put on.  If I were you I'd return both skates and order another 8.5. The good news is it's not your mistake and the shop should honor the exchange. 

Reach out to them via Instagram or Facebook. The person who handles the social media accounts is really good at replying. Just send him the pictures via either those platforms. I'd suggest Instagram since it looks like it's more active. 

So the regional rep from true called me a few minutes ago and is calling true in Winnipeg to verify if i need to pull that padding out in the toe box. If they say there is possibly an issue he would let me know. I should know something this afternoon or tomorrow.

4 hours ago, stick9 said:

If you're on the ice everyday for a long period of time, it's a good idea to rotate between two to make them last longer.

Or if one ever needs extensive work, you always have a backup pair (some also like having an outdoor pair). I usually keep a pair of ODR skates at the office (although I guess I won't be needing those as I'm WFH for the foreseeable future).

Edited by Giltis
  • Like 1

I like to have two pairs of skates as well. One to ref and one to play. Sometimes I play after reffing tournament games all day and it's great to be able to put on dry skates. As mentioned, it also gives you a backup pair in case one pair breaks or needs repair.

I definitely like that a skate similar to Makos is available without having to pay custom prices. I do wish the sizing was the same as if I have to drop down from 8EE to 7.5EE that also means getting used to a smaller holder size or paying to get 272mm holders installed on the 7.5EE.

My Mako II stockpile should last a few more years; maybe by then a new model will be out that has consistent sizing vs. most other brands. If not, I would still buy one of the current models as the holder size difference is only a minor annoyance. Maybe I will just buy the Trues for future roller conversions and save my remaining Mako II skates for ice.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, althoma1 said:

I like to have two pairs of skates as well. One to ref and one to play. Sometimes I play after reffing tournament games all day and it's great to be able to put on dry skates. As mentioned, it also gives you a backup pair in case one pair breaks or needs repair.

I definitely like that a skate similar to Makos is available without having to pay custom prices. I do wish the sizing was the same as if I have to drop down from 8EE to 7.5EE that also means getting used to a smaller holder size or paying to get 272mm holders installed on the 7.5EE.

My Mako II stockpile should last a few more years; maybe by then a new model will be out that has consistent sizing vs. most other brands. If not, I would still buy one of the current models as the holder size difference is only a minor annoyance. Maybe I will just buy the Trues for future roller conversions and save my remaining Mako II skates for ice.

If a 7.5 and an 8 both have the same length, technically wouldn't it mean both should have the same size holders? 

1 hour ago, jrchecker8 said:

So the regional rep from true called me a few minutes ago and is calling true in Winnipeg to verify if i need to pull that padding out in the toe box. If they say there is possibly an issue he would let me know. I should know something this afternoon or tomorrow.

You shouldn't have to pull that price out for the skate to "fit" if the size is mislabeled. Did you ask the regional rep if the sizes are stamped on full sizes only or half sizes too. This will confirm whether there is in fact an error, and if so just order the proper size. 

33 minutes ago, Sniper9 said:

If a 7.5 and an 8 both have the same length, technically wouldn't it mean both should have the same size holders? 

@SkateWorksPNW confirmed for me that 7.5W TF9 and TF7 skates use 263mm holders. 8EE Mako II skates use 272mm holders. @Hills and others have suggested that True retail skates fit a half size larger than other brands; so the 7.5W Trues and 8EE Makos may fit similar lengthwise, but unfortunately do use different holder sizes.

I know Bauer sizes up with their holders in EE half sizes (7.5EE Bauers have 272mm holders), but True doesn't.

I will of course attempt to find 7.5W and 8W skates in store to try on before buying or order both sizes from a place with easy free returns. I would be happy if the 8W fits due to the 272mm holders, but like to have my toes feather the cap; so won't go with the 8W if my toes can't touch the cap. 

My dream scenario would be to attend a Modsquadhockey event where a True rep has demo stock on hand and I could actually bake both sizes and skate in them.

Edited by althoma1

50 minutes ago, Sniper9 said:

You shouldn't have to pull that price out for the skate to "fit" if the size is mislabeled. Did you ask the regional rep if the sizes are stamped on full sizes only or half sizes too. This will confirm whether there is in fact an error, and if so just order the proper size. 

I did not get a chance to ask him that, but the supplier I ordered them from confirmed for me that both the 8R boot and the 8.5R boot had the same sticker in the same spot. They also checked the 9R and the 9.5R and the both had the same sticker that stated 9R for the right skate and 9L for the left skate. When he calls me back I will find out

6 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

It's probably not as bad now that their toe caps are plastic, but on my MLX, my right big toe sits with a firm brush against the toe cap and I think I got mild frostbite every time I wore thin socks in those boots. I'd love a little foam there. I could add some myself, but haven't gotten around to it.

4 hours ago, jrchecker8 said:

I did not get a chance to ask him that, but the supplier I ordered them from confirmed for me that both the 8R boot and the 8.5R boot had the same sticker in the same spot. They also checked the 9R and the 9.5R and the both had the same sticker that stated 9R for the right skate and 9L for the left skate. When he calls me back I will find out

There must be something that indicates the boot being a half size otherwise how would they ever know which tongue to put on. Seems weird to me. Also i would imagine 8.5 would just be the same as a 9 with toe inserts. Doesn't make sense that 8/8.5 use an 8 boot. Something seems off here. 

On 9/22/2020 at 3:25 PM, jrchecker8 said:

I'm thinking does s09-8 mean size 9 but made to fit like 8.5?  For example size 10.5 would say s11-10

How does the size 9 sticker look like. 

17 minutes ago, Sniper9 said:

There must be something that indicates the boot being a half size otherwise how would they ever know which tongue to put on. Seems weird to me. Also i would imagine 8.5 would just be the same as a 9 with toe inserts. Doesn't make sense that 8/8.5 use an 8 boot. Something seems off here. 

Yea its in True's hands now hopefully. The rep for the southeast is working on it for me. hopefully he comes up with a solution

43 minutes ago, jrchecker8 said:

Yea its in True's hands now hopefully. The rep for the southeast is working on it for me. hopefully he comes up with a solution

Are you not at all able to go to a store to get try them on? Personally I'd return both at this both and start from scratch. 

2 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

Are you not at all able to go to a store to get try them on? Personally I'd return both at this both and start from scratch. 

Given how a few pages back there was a whole discussion about the surprise that very few shops are carrying these, I think it's safe to assume that a lot of folks don't have the opportunity to try them on. I'm not saying that's the case here, just that this is one skate that is definitely not so easy to find in stores to try on. 

17 minutes ago, Miller55 said:

Given how a few pages back there was a whole discussion about the surprise that very few shops are carrying these, I think it's safe to assume that a lot of folks don't have the opportunity to try them on. I'm not saying that's the case here, just that this is one skate that is definitely not so easy to find in stores to try on. 

Fair enough, but I wouldn't be trying to do things like pull out foam to try to increase the length of the skate. I'd return both and re order another 8.5 to confirm whether the skate he has is mislabeled or that for whatever reason, the size discrepancy between the 8.5 and 9 seems more like a full size diff. 

1 hour ago, Sniper9 said:

Fair enough, but I wouldn't be trying to do things like pull out foam to try to increase the length of the skate. I'd return both and re order another 8.5 to confirm whether the skate he has is mislabeled or that for whatever reason, the size discrepancy between the 8.5 and 9 seems more like a full size diff. 

Absolutely agree. It's on True now to resolve this and I've heard pretty good things about them. They definitely can't afford bad cs press on the retails. I would be surprised if the toe padding was the issue too, as they didn't seem to have that much of it to make a half size difference. I bought ROR pro returns and they came with the length inserts for. 5 size difference between the two feet to make the 9.5 boot to a 9 on one foot and it definitely felt more substantial than the toe padding. The TF9 padding doesn't even feel as think as the mako 2, so I can't see that being a solution, but who knows

1 hour ago, Miller55 said:

Absolutely agree. It's on True now to resolve this and I've heard pretty good things about them. They definitely can't afford bad cs press on the retails. I would be surprised if the toe padding was the issue too, as they didn't seem to have that much of it to make a half size difference. I bought ROR pro returns and they came with the length inserts for. 5 size difference between the two feet to make the 9.5 boot to a 9 on one foot and it definitely felt more substantial than the toe padding. The TF9 padding doesn't even feel as think as the mako 2, so I can't see that being a solution, but who knows

The regular foam for padding is red. The same thickness and material as the red footbed which is 1-2mm max. The grey toe box inserts are thicker and one adjusts for .5 size (approx 3mm) 

For my true customs my left skate doesn't have the insert but my right does since it's .5 size smaller. Not a huge deal but I also don't understand why true does this. Each boot should be true to the foot size and unless your feet are so far off it causes u to have two diff holder sizes on each. But even if this were the case you could technically have an oversized holder for the smaller boot so both end up with the same holder size. 

What's weird though, is my right boot is about half a size shorter in length. I measured it and also you can tell the holder on the right comes up a few mms closer to the end of the toe. 

Oh well. Whatever. I should just be happy that I have no issues with my skates and they fit perfect. 

Edited by Sniper9

12 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

unfortunately the closest hockey shop that sells true for me is 2 hours away. I am still in contact with the rep and he is working on a solution, i just hope it gets fixed before mens league starts back up

For skates that are hopefully going to last you several years it could be worth making a day trip (probably 5+ hours of your time between driving and trying things on at the store) to make sure you have the right size. I know that's a pain, but sometimes spending the time and effort upfront is worthwhile long term. 

• Like 5