Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
marka

TRUE TF9/TF7 skates

33 minutes ago, althoma1 said:

For skates that are hopefully going to last you several years it could be worth making a day trip (probably 5+ hours of your time between driving and trying things on at the store) to make sure you have the right size. I know that's a pain, but sometimes spending the time and effort upfront is worthwhile long term. 

oh im not disagreeing with you after this situation. It has been a while since I have ordered skates online and I have never had an issue before. lesson learned! 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

Fair enough, but I wouldn't be trying to do things like pull out foam to try to increase the length of the skate. I'd return both and re order another 8.5 to confirm whether the skate he has is mislabeled or that for whatever reason, the size discrepancy between the 8.5 and 9 seems more like a full size diff. 

Boom! Bang on. That might fly with customs, but not retail.

The sizing thing is total BS. You should know exactly what you are buying. It's not hard to do.

Does anyone else have the retail skates and can check on this? And/or does anyone work in a shop that sells Trues?

22 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

I'm thinking does s09-8 mean size 9 but made to fit like 8.5?  For example size 10.5 would say s11-10

This explanation makes sense. Especially given that jrchecker said they called their distributor and other skates had similar sticker. 

If that is the case, is anyone else unsettled by this? Only selling full size skates and padding the length out with foam seems weird. Am I over thinking this and a few MMs don’t matter that much?

1 hour ago, start_today said:

If that is the case, is anyone else unsettled by this? Only selling full size skates and padding the length out with foam seems weird. Am I over thinking this and a few MMs don’t matter that much?

A half size is equal to 4mm which is pretty small.  Using foam to fill the 4mm space is quite acceptable and will allow a snug fit.  

2 hours ago, start_today said:

Does anyone else have the retail skates and can check on this? And/or does anyone work in a shop that sells Trues?

This explanation makes sense. Especially given that jrchecker said they called their distributor and other skates had similar sticker. 

Not overthinking.   

18 minutes ago, boo10 said:

A half size is equal to 4mm which is pretty small.  Using foam to fill the 4mm space is quite acceptable and will allow a snug fit.  

Do you know if any other skate manufacturers are doing this?

Ok. Problem sort of solved. Ibhave a 7 and a 7.5 here. First checked the foam in the toe. No difference in thickness. 

2nd looked for other stickers.... none same as mentioned above.

3rd measured the actual skates. 7.5 was infact closer to 5mm longer. So definitely bigger. No ifs and or butts. It's not a toe foam conspiracy.... lol.

Hope that helps. Had me worried for a second. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, oldtrainerguy28 said:

Ok. Problem sort of solved. Ibhave a 7 and a 7.5 here. First checked the foam in the toe. No difference in thickness. 

2nd looked for other stickers.... none same as mentioned above.

3rd measured the actual skates. 7.5 was infact closer to 5mm longer. So definitely bigger. No ifs and or butts. It's not a toe foam conspiracy.... lol.

Hope that helps. Had me worried for a second. 

What do the stickers say on your skates, specifically the 7.5. I'm interested to see if it actually should say 7.5. If so, then @jrchecker8def for a size 8 with an 8.5 tongue

If half sizes are around 5mm longer, it COULD be why the 8.5 feels a bit too short and the 9 feels a bit too long if he's in between half sizes.... Since half sizes should be 3-4mm different. 

Edited by Sniper9

5 minutes ago, oldtrainerguy28 said:

Yes. But the foam at the toe is the same. And measuring the boot the 7 is smaller than the 7.5. So they are definitely 2 different sizes. 

How the hell do they know at the assembly line what size is what then??? 

Are u able to confirm whether my theory of s08-7 means 7.5 and therefore the true size 7 would be s07-7 or similar.. or address the number codes identical

Edited by Sniper9

4 minutes ago, Sniper9 said:

How the hell do they know at the assembly line what size is what then??? 

Are u able to confirm whether my theory of s08-7 means 7.5 and therefore the true size 7 would be s07-7 or similar.. or address the number codes identical

No I didnt bother looking any further

4 hours ago, oldtrainerguy28 said:

Yes. But the foam at the toe is the same. And measuring the boot the 7 is smaller than the 7.5. So they are definitely 2 different sizes. 

Interesting! Thanks for checking on that. 

11 hours ago, start_today said:

I would say you aren’t overthinking it.  They aren’t Trues but I went from a 9 to 9.5 Ribcore through the 90-day return policy.  Not only did it change the room in the toes but how my foot sat in the skate the whole way back, including eliminating some irritation in the ankle.

I don't need new skates right now, but I was near a store that carried them and it was early in the morning when it was dead; so I asked to try on a couple sizes. I tried on the TF9 in 7.5W and 8W. 

I currently wear 8EE Mako II's with my toes feathering the cap and right to the end of the insoles. Well, @Hills, @SkateWorksPNW and everyone else who said they fit a half size larger than most brands are correct IMHO. In the 8W, I couldn't feel the end of the cap at all with my left foot and could barely touch with my big toe on my right foot if I really tried. When I stood on the 8W footbed, there was about 5mm of space after my toes. Despite them being a bit long they still locked my heel in well when walking around and felt pretty comfortable even unbaked, but I knew they were too long. With the 7.5W my toes brushed the cap on both feet and when I took out the footbeds and put my feet on them there was no space at the end of the footbed.

Overall, the 7.5W felt like it was a bit wider in the forefoot and toe box than my 8EE Mako II's even unbaked - not sloppy, but not as tight as the Mako II's and the toe box is also a bit taller than the Makos. My first impression was they're similar to Mako's, but I wish they used the Mako toe box and the 7.5W used a 272mm holder instead of 263mm. When it's time for my next roller conversion it's highly likely I'll get a 7.5W True retail if I can't find a new old stock or barely used Mako II, M8 or M7 in 8EE (which at this point is highly unlikely). Unbaked the True's felt better on my feet than any of the Bauer or CCM boots I have tried on. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, althoma1 said:

I don't need new skates right now, but I was near a store that carried them and it was early in the morning when it was dead; so I asked to try on a couple sizes. I tried on the TF9 in 7.5W and 8W. 

I currently wear 8EE Mako II's with my toes feathering the cap and right to the end of the insoles. Well, @Hills, @SkateWorksPNW and everyone else who said they fit a half size larger than most brands are correct IMHO. In the 8W, I couldn't feel the end of the cap at all with my left foot and could barely touch with my big toe on my right foot if I really tried. When I stood on the 8W footbed, there was about 5mm of space after my toes. Despite them being a bit long they still locked my heel in well when walking around and felt pretty comfortable even unbaked, but I knew they were too long. With the 7.5W my toes brushed the cap on both feet and when I took out the footbeds and put my feet on them there was no space at the end of the footbed.

Overall, the 7.5W felt like it was a bit wider in the forefoot and toe box than my 8EE Mako II's even unbaked - not sloppy, but not as tight as the Mako II's and the toe box is also a bit taller than the Makos. My first impression was they're similar to Mako's, but I wish they used the Mako toe box and the 7.5W used a 272mm holder instead of 263mm. When it's time for my next roller conversion it's highly likely I'll get a 7.5W True retail if I can't find a new old stock or barely used Mako II, M8 or M7 in 8EE (which at this point is highly unlikely). Unbaked the True's felt better on my feet than any of the Bauer or CCM boots I have tried on. 

Isn't the makos .5 smaller than ccm and true. For example isn't it recommended to get an 8 mako when you're a 7.5 Bauer or ccm. So if that's true, then wouldn't it mean the trues are the same as ccm and Bauer. 

14 minutes ago, Sniper9 said:

Isn't the makos .5 smaller than ccm and true. For example isn't it recommended to get an 8 mako when you're a 7.5 Bauer or ccm. So if that's true, then wouldn't it mean the trues are the same as ccm and Bauer. 

If you go through the Mako thread, the majority of people went with the same size Makos as Bauer's. Some people went up a half size and some down a half size and then there were outliers with more variation than that.

I haven't owned a Bauer or CCM skate in over a decade. I know I had some 8D Flexlite's coverted for roller that maybe had a hair more length than ideal and I know that when I demoed Supreme's at a Modsquad event (I think it was the TotalOne), 7.5EE seemed to be the right length, but was tight in the toe box and I had a bit of heel lift. So if the Bauer sizing is the same as back then, perhaps I would be the same size Bauer's as True's. All I can confirm for sure is that True retail skates fit a half size larger than Mako's for my feet. 

Unless I'm mistaken, it seems to me that everyone that has said the Trues fit a half size smaller are wearing EE/W skates.  I'm a D width and did not have to go down a half size, so I'm wondering if the W sizes have a much wider heel that is letting their foot sit further back?

Bsuer sizing is not the same as it was when the makos came out. Half size longer. Compared with Bauer's today I would say makos are the same size. I wear 9.5 supreme and could not comfortably fit in a 9 mako. I felt the same way with TF9s and TF7s, but I only tried on the R width. I did feel like I might be ok in a 9W with the wrap baking method.

Regarding the heel, i agree it felt tight but it definitely feels like it can open up a lot

Edited by Miller55
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, boo10 said:

Unless I'm mistaken, it seems to me that everyone that has said the Trues fit a half size smaller are wearing EE/W skates.  I'm a D width and did not have to go down a half size, so I'm wondering if the W sizes have a much wider heel that is letting their foot sit further back?

Could be- I tried on the regular width 9.5 and 10, with 10 being my normal size. Toes were crammed in 9.5, 10 fit fine. 

• Like 2

I just tried on some TF7s. My MLX are a size 10 and my right foot, which is slightly longer than my left, touches the toe box with slightly more than feathering pressure. I tried the TF7s in 10.0R and was swimming and felt like my arch didn’t line up with that of the boots; 9.5W felt like I could sharpen them and go without any baking, though the heel felt a bit relaxed; 9.5R felt on the money: snug, with even pressure everywhere except across the forefoot—there it was a touch too tight, but I’m confident a bake would fix that—toes were feathering the toe cap more ideally than they do in my 10 MLX. Now I wish I had tried 9.0W + R, but that’ll have to be for another day.

Edited by flip12
  • Like 1