Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
marka

TRUE TF9/TF7 skates

1 hour ago, flip12 said:

I just tried on some TF7s. My MLX are a size 10 and my right foot, which is slightly longer than my left, touches the toe box with slightly more than feathering pressure. I tried the TF7s in 10.0R and was swimming and felt like my arch didn’t line up with that of the boots; 9.5W felt like I could sharpen them and go without any baking, though the heel felt a bit relaxed; 9.5R felt on the money: snug, with even pressure everywhere except across the forefoot—there it was a touch too tight, but I’m confident a bake would fix that—toes were feathering the toe cap more ideally than they do in my 10 MLX. Now I wish I had tried 9.0W + R, but that’ll have to be for another day.

This! my right is a little longer than my left also and that was the skate that felt a little too tight. I re-baked them and also did the shrink wrap and they still seemed a little tight but not as bad as before. I skated yesterday with them and they felt much better than the original skate but a little tight on the right foot. Doing the wrap helped bring the foot back a little bit and also tying the skate as tight as possible helped (my ccm's i would tie tight at the toe, leave a little loose in the mid foot area and tight up top). I am going to skate with them one more time and see how it goes.

TF7 update: got the spot causing discomfort taken care of so I used them for the first time yesterday. Went to a public skate before my game last night just to get a feel for them and gotta say that they're the most comfortable skates I've worn. The game went well, but towards the halfway point of the third I noticed my right heel felt like it was slipping out of the heel lock. Anyone else experience this or have an idea what may be causing it? It didn't feel like that during the first 2 periods or during public skate. I have some gel inserts I could throw in there if need be.

I got a chance to wear my TF9s for the first time yesterday... so I am going to add a few details to this thread.

I tried on the 8.5W and 8W skates again. Putting my foot unbaked in the 8.5W skate had me questioning my statement of (half a size smaller than normal). So I baked them and my toes weren't close to the end like they are in any other brand in 8.5. Once they were tied up (even without the shrink wrapping to really pull the heel back) I could only make my middle toe touch when I stretched and basically jammed my foot forward. Everyone I talked to in the store had to go down half a size to be close to their normal skate fit. Both W and R widths alike. One person went from a 7D to a 6R as they felt they were swimming all over.

If I put Superfeet in my 8.0W my toes would never touch the ends of the skate, where as Superfeet in my 8.5EE CCM/Bauer they still touch slightly when standing.

The W felt REALLY wide throughout the skate, like Fit3 or Nexus wide. I baked them with thicker socks as I always have forefoot issues in retail EE skates but my entire foot felt like it wasn't snug enough on the ice. Will have to try those thicker socks next skate (which will be Friday). Depending on how the socks change the fit... I will probably throw Superfeet in these as my feet felt like they were moving around too much.

I actually don't find them more comfortable than other retail skates, I felt the edges dig into my ankles where other brands have the comfort edges. I actually feel like the last 3 pairs of CCM skates I had were more comfortable than these but just never fit my foot right.

2 hours ago, DropGloveMurphy said:

TF7 update: got the spot causing discomfort taken care of so I used them for the first time yesterday. Went to a public skate before my game last night just to get a feel for them and gotta say that they're the most comfortable skates I've worn. The game went well, but towards the halfway point of the third I noticed my right heel felt like it was slipping out of the heel lock. Anyone else experience this or have an idea what may be causing it? It didn't feel like that during the first 2 periods or during public skate. I have some gel inserts I could throw in there if need be.

Could it be due to sweat? I found in the past if I got pretty sweaty the liners of my trues wouldn't wick away the sweat and would cause it to feel slippery especially in combination with dri fit type socks. Maybe try 100% cotton socks which absorb and not really wick sweat so it doesn't cause a layer of sweat between the socks and liner. I know the tf7 comes with a wick liner but it's all I can think of esp since you said it was fine during the first part of the skate.

Also, loosening of the laces could be the issue too. 

Btw did you just spot heat the area causing you issues to fix it?

Edited by Sniper9

1 hour ago, Hills said:

I got a chance to wear my TF9s for the first time yesterday... so I am going to add a few details to this thread.

I tried on the 8.5W and 8W skates again. Putting my foot unbaked in the 8.5W skate had me questioning my statement of (half a size smaller than normal). So I baked them and my toes weren't close to the end like they are in any other brand in 8.5. Once they were tied up (even without the shrink wrapping to really pull the heel back) I could only make my middle toe touch when I stretched and basically jammed my foot forward. Everyone I talked to in the store had to go down half a size to be close to their normal skate fit. Both W and R widths alike. One person went from a 7D to a 6R as they felt they were swimming all over.

If I put Superfeet in my 8.0W my toes would never touch the ends of the skate, where as Superfeet in my 8.5EE CCM/Bauer they still touch slightly when standing.

The W felt REALLY wide throughout the skate, like Fit3 or Nexus wide. I baked them with thicker socks as I always have forefoot issues in retail EE skates but my entire foot felt like it wasn't snug enough on the ice. Will have to try those thicker socks next skate (which will be Friday). Depending on how the socks change the fit... I will probably throw Superfeet in these as my feet felt like they were moving around too much.

I actually don't find them more comfortable than other retail skates, I felt the edges dig into my ankles where other brands have the comfort edges. I actually feel like the last 3 pairs of CCM skates I had were more comfortable than these but just never fit my foot right.

Do you think the superfeet could help my issue any? After the re-bake and shrink wrap it give me a little more room. My toes still touch, not feather.

17 minutes ago, jrchecker8 said:

Do you think the superfeet could help my issue any? After the re-bake and shrink wrap it give me a little more room. My toes still touch, not feather.

Possibly... but you also said they felt fine until you started skating and that you have to crank the laces tight. You shouldn't have to tighten True laces basically at all...

I think your skate is too big and probably at this point it is width wise. Your foot seems to be sliding forward when skating. What size shoes do you wear?

1 hour ago, Sniper9 said:

Could it be due to sweat? I found in the past if I got pretty sweaty the liners of my trues wouldn't wick away the sweat and would cause it to feel slippery especially in combination with dri fit type socks. Maybe try 100% cotton socks which absorb and not really wick sweat so it doesn't cause a layer of sweat between the socks and liner. I know the tf7 comes with a wick liner but it's all I can think of esp since you said it was fine during the first part of the skate.

Also, loosening of the laces could be the issue too. 

Btw did you just spot heat the area causing you issues to fix it?

I thought it may be because of how sweaty I get, but I've never experienced it in any other skates so I thought that answer may be too simple. I've got some of the Elite pro laces that hold a bit tighter than the standard set that came on the skates, I'll see if that helps then move to trying different socks if need be.

To fix the pressure point I used the tissue method and spot heating.

1 hour ago, Hills said:

Possibly... but you also said they felt fine until you started skating and that you have to crank the laces tight. You shouldn't have to tighten True laces basically at all...

I think your skate is too big and probably at this point it is width wise. Your foot seems to be sliding forward when skating. What size shoes do you wear?

i dont think its too big, when i first put the skate on and kick my heal back to set it into the heal pocket my toes still touch the toe cap. I wear a 10.5-11 depending on brand. most of the time its 10.5 in the shoe size. 

Edited by jrchecker8

24 minutes ago, jrchecker8 said:

i dont think its too big, when i first put the skate on and kick my heal back to set it into the heal pocket my toes still touch the toe cap. I wear a 10.5-11 depending on brand. most of the time its 10.5 in the shoe size. 

I specifically meant width and not length. Like I said, you shouldn't have to crank True skates to make them fit... that is kind of the point of them is that they form so well to your foot you don't have to tighten skates.

For comparison... I wear a size 11 shoe and an 8 TF9 and 8.5 CCM (which is an 8 in the CCM you have).

7 minutes ago, pgeorgan said:

My buddy got scanned for Bauer 6.5 EE and went with 8 TF9. Claims his toe just touches the tip. YMMV. 

Was coming from (poorly) fitting Grafs. Says the fit is "10x better". 

Sorry... but if your buddy is scanning in at 1.5 sizes BIGGER than the Bauer scan... I am not trusting what your friend is saying on how his skates fit.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Hills said:

Sorry... but if your buddy is scanning in at 1.5 sizes BIGGER than the Bauer scan... I am not trusting what your friend is saying on how his skates fit.

Sounds like his current skates may have been a little tight or poorly fitted and his new skates are too big. Could be one of those who add length to compensate for lack of width. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, stick9 said:

Sounds like his current skates may have been a little tight or poorly fitted and his new skates are too big. Could be one of those who add length to compensate for lack of width. 

The amount of people that mention how comfortable their skates are and how they fit better but are basically wearing boats is amazing. I had a woman online tell me she was in a 5.5 True and wears a 6.5 Woman's shoe... For comparison Breezie on this site wears a 7.5 Woman's shoe and a 4 skate.

1 hour ago, Hills said:

Yeah. Something here doesn't make sense. 😕

• Like 1

6 hours ago, pgeorgan said:

My buddy got scanned for Bauer 6.5 EE and went with 8 TF9. Claims his toe just touches the tip. YMMV. 

Was coming from (poorly) fitting Grafs. Says the fit is "10x better". 

TF9 8 R or W? What size and make Grafs was buddy wearing?

6 hours ago, Hills said:

Buddy's wearing 1.5 bigger now, sounds like. Maybe the X and Y were reversed at scan time?

11 hours ago, Hills said:

The amount of people that mention how comfortable their skates are and how they fit better but are basically wearing boats is amazing. I had a woman online tell me she was in a 5.5 True and wears a 6.5 Woman's shoe... For comparison Breezie on this site wears a 7.5 Woman's shoe and a 4 skate.

It depends on which is your longest toe. Those who have a second toe that's longest will fit into a diff size than those with a big toe that's longer, bc if you look at the toe cap it's rounded. For example a person who's a size ten bc their big toe is the longest, is different than someone who fits a size ten because their second toe is the longest. The big toe will brush the toe cap in the area where it starts to curve. Second toe longest will brush the toe cap where it's leveled off at its longest distance from the heel.  That's prob why there's some discrepancy where some ppl go down anywhere from 1.5-3 sizes in skates. It all has to do with which longest toe brushes which part of the toe cap vs in their shoes, and the tow box area of skates are quite diff than shoes. 

Edited by Sniper9
  • Like 1

I can understand this for 1/2 sizes but in some cases we are talking 2 or 3 sizes out. Given a size is around 1cm, I've yet to come across anyone who has a toe 3cm's longer than any others! My personal experience with this (fitting skates for many years) is a misguided belief around comfort, to quote - "I chose that size because the skates didn't hurt when I laced them up". This is because they are so long and wide there are no pressure points on those little foot bits that don't quite fit within a retail skate profile. 

As to comparing shoe size to skate size, one of my great bug bears in life. Everyone wears shoes differently and shoe manufacturers still don't follow consistent sizings, I just don't get why this keeps getting repeated verbatim instead of - your feet measure 26cms long so you start with a size 6. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Vet88 said:

I can understand this for 1/2 sizes but in some cases we are talking 2 or 3 sizes out. Given a size is around 1cm, I've yet to come across anyone who has a toe 3cm's longer than any others! My personal experience with this (fitting skates for many years) is a misguided belief around comfort, to quote - "I chose that size because the skates didn't hurt when I laced them up". This is because they are so long and wide there are no pressure points on those little foot bits that don't quite fit within a retail skate profile. 

As to comparing shoe size to skate size, one of my great bug bears in life. Everyone wears shoes differently and shoe manufacturers still don't follow consistent sizings, I just don't get why this keeps getting repeated verbatim instead of - your feet measure 26cms long so you start with a size 6. 

Oh you're totally right. I was just suggesting why there are some ppl who wear skates 2 sizes smaller in skates and some 1.5. The huge discrepancies are 🤔. And you're totally right about the shoe size being a bad guide bc of diff manufacturers, and the fact that a lot of ppl also wear shoes that are the wrong size/ have a diff preference of how they want their shoes to fit. 

8 hours ago, Vet88 said:

This is so true.  I'm always baffled when someone posts that they wear a size 10 shoe and a size 7 skate.  Well if a size 7 skate fits properly, your shoes are too damn big then. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

If only we could just start using mm for shoe AND skate sizing, life would be so much easier.

They do this for snowboarding boots and it theoretically makes life so much easier, but you still get a ton of people with oversized boots because they don’t know any better and just buy whatever is on sale online. 

51 minutes ago, start_today said:

They do this for snowboarding boots and it theoretically makes life so much easier, but you still get a ton of people with oversized boots because they don’t know any better and just buy whatever is on sale online. 

Don't forget people believe "comfortable" to mean you can't feel the sides or the toes at all.

1 hour ago, start_today said:

Well I guess if they do that, then having an accurate size doesn't matter for those people in the first place, so whatever.

22 minutes ago, Hills said:

Don't forget people believe "comfortable" to mean you can't feel the sides or the toes at all.

Yep. I've been wearing shoes too big for most of my adult life. It wasn't until I started wearing good dress shoes that I realized it. Explains why I started in size 9 skates. 

7 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

Yep. I've been wearing shoes too big for most of my adult life. It wasn't until I started wearing good dress shoes that I realized it. Explains why I started in size 9 skates. 

I have a buddy who works at a high-end suit store and he said 90% of new customers that buy dress shoes realize their whole life they have been wearing the wrong size sneakers and such. It's not until they come into his store to buy an expensive pair of dress shoes and are properly fitted that they realize the whole time they should have been in a significantly smaller shoe.

• Like 1