Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
marka

TRUE TF9/TF7 skates

15 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

It depends on which is your longest toe. Those who have a second toe that's longest will fit into a diff size than those with a big toe that's longer, bc if you look at the toe cap it's rounded. For example a person who's a size ten bc their big toe is the longest, is different than someone who fits a size ten because their second toe is the longest. The big toe will brush the toe cap in the area where it starts to curve. Second toe longest will brush the toe cap where it's leveled off at its longest distance from the heel.  That's prob why there's some discrepancy where some ppl go down anywhere from 1.5-3 sizes in skates. It all has to do with which longest toe brushes which part of the toe cap vs in their shoes, and the tow box area of skates are quite diff than shoes. 

In shoes and skates, the toe box is usually the issue, especially on my right foot. My big toes are the longest and I've had some otherwise great fitting footwear that cause almost unbearable pain on my right big toe because I'm stubborn enough to wear the shoes in. With Graf, I can comfortably fit a 10 if it's a wider forefoot skate, like the 501 or 701, but the 703 is just a tiny bit too compressed at the outer tip of my right big toe. With the 9.5 TF7s I found I could feather the cap, but my toes didn't feel compressed by either the length or the width of the toe box. It's a roomy design without feeling cavernous, maybe because the TF7 has that thicker tongue and I didn't try on TF9s.

7 hours ago, boo10 said:

This is so true.  I'm always baffled when someone posts that they wear a size 10 shoe and a size 7 skate.  Well if a size 7 skate fits properly, your shoes are too damn big then. 

I wear size 9 shoes. Size 8 is painful. I wear size 6.5-7 (Bauer) and size 8 (Powerslide) inline skates, and size 7 (Bauer) stock ice skates, or 6.5 (L) and 6.75 (R) custom ice skates. The skate sizes just don’t make sense unless you use Mondopoint ie mm, in which case they are consistent.

This whole thing is so complex. I wear size 11.5 sneakers, sometimes 11E depending on the cut off the sneaker. I wear a 10E dress shoe. My longer foot measures 29.2cm and the shorter is 28.8 or 28.9cm. According to all the charts that would put me in a 10.5 Bauer skate. However, my feet are very flat so when I measure them on flat ground they are longer. But when I put them in skates the arch picks up the foot a bit and shortens it overall. Practically, I wear a 9E skate or a 9.5D depending on volume and width etc. Size 9= 27.7cm, 9.5=28.1cm. my point being that even pure measure of the feet in cm or mm can be mistaken. Best is an experienced fitter and someone who can coach you in how a skate should feel. I had a coach come with me when I was younger and he literally squeezed my foot in different places and explained to me how to describe different sensations on the foot when I put on a boot. Then I tried something on and I would describe it how he taught me and he was able to explain of it was ok or if it was an issue and if it could be resolved or not. And even after that, I have still bought skates that weren't a perfect fit and errors have still been made. It's not an easy job at all. And my feet have changed over the years due to growth, injuries, weight gain and other factors too. And brands have changed their skate lasts and sizing. So even once you think you have it down, it changes again. There's no one size fits all ( pun intended) solution

Edited by Miller55

Had a chance to try on the TF9 over the weekend and I gotta say, fit for me was nearly spot on...just a few small hotspots that I’m pretty sure can be punched out.  Had to go down a half size which is nice since it puts me into a jr boot and an extra $200 savings which makes them an even better deal than they already are.

Now the negatives(for me).  I just didn’t like the thin stock tongue.  I was surprised because usually this kind of thing doesn’t bother me and I’m fine with whatever typically comes stock.  The nice thing is the boots have a good amount of depth so it should be no problem if I want to swap out to a thicker felt tongue.  Not sure if I missed it earlier in the thread but has it been confirmed that you’re able to order felt tongues from True?

The other negative for me is along with going down a half size in the boot comes a smaller holder, 246, than I’d like(used to 254, and even 263).  Just kind of threw me off.  But again, should be a simple fix if the larger holder will fit on the boot.

@th6252You should be able to up-size the holders afterwards. Most brands do it on EE widths.

I had 246's on my vapors, which are now converted to inline. If I ever switch them back, it will be to 254. 

Edited by stick9

1 hour ago, stick9 said:

@th6252You should be able to up-size the holders afterwards. Most brands do it on EE widths.

I had 246's on my vapors, which are now converted to inline. If I ever switch them back, it will be to 254. 

Yeah, I assume the holder thing is a fairly easy fix for a competent shop to do, but (not that I pretend to know much a swapping holders) it didn’t seem there was much real estate on the outsole go go bigger.

1 hour ago, th6252 said:

Yeah, I assume the holder thing is a fairly easy fix for a competent shop to do, but (not that I pretend to know much a swapping holders) it didn’t seem there was much real estate on the outsole go go bigger.

It's rarely a problem to go with an oversized holder. I have seen 280 holders mounted on size 6 skates. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, th6252 said:

It's weird to think there wasn't much room to get a holder one size up to fit since the boot itself should technically be about the same as as your previous skates. Going half a size down in trues would only mean their boots are overrated for it's size .. which confuses me why their size 6.5 skates require a 254 holder if in theory their 6.5 is the same length as ccm or Bauer 7 which uses a 263 holder 

Edited by Sniper9

3 hours ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

It's rarely a problem to go with an oversized holder. I have seen 280 holders mounted on size 6 skates. 

Good to know thanks!

1 hour ago, Sniper9 said:

It's weird to think there wasn't much room to get a holder one size up to fit since the boot itself should technically be about the same as as your previous skates. Going half a size down in trues would only mean their boots are overrated for it's size .. which confuses me why their size 6.5 skates require a 254 holder if in theory their 6.5 is the same length as ccm or Bauer 7 which uses a 263 holder 

No idea, just thought it felt and looked a little weird.  I’m used to seeing the front tip of the Holder sticking out the front of the boot a bit when looking down at the skates.  I know all skates/holders are constructed differently, but it’s not something I was used to seeing.

2 hours ago, th6252 said:

No idea, just thought it felt and looked a little weird.  I’m used to seeing the front tip of the Holder sticking out the front of the boot a bit when looking down at the skates.  I know all skates/holders are constructed differently, but it’s not something I was used to seeing.

Oh well. Just change the holders. If I were to get stock Trues I'd swap em out for xs holders anyways. Even with customs id just have them predrilled for xs holders and the shift holder unmounted

On 10/4/2020 at 10:58 PM, Sniper9 said:

Oh well. Just change the holders. If I were to get stock Trues I'd swap em out for xs holders anyways. Even with customs id just have them predrilled for xs holders and the shift holder unmounted

They don't send customs unmounted anymore. 

On 10/4/2020 at 5:35 PM, th6252 said:

You should always try and have the holder mounted as far back as possible. This is a pretty good explanation why: 

http://bladesbytodd.com/2015/08/09/mounts/

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

You should always try and have the holder mounted as far back as possible. This is a pretty good explanation why: 

http://bladesbytodd.com/2015/08/09/mounts/

The only thing is there is so much that has changed in the hockey skate. cut of boot and so on. Not a bad base to start with and using something similar but I wouldn't be going by that as my #1 reference but a good read. 

5 hours ago, oldtrainerguy28 said:

They don't send customs unmounted anymore. 

That's pretty unfortunate... Takes away how s skate is custom ..

Hey everyone! New to the forum from NS, Canada.  I've been reading the posts and lots of great info and insight on these skates.  I've been interested in True skates since they first came out.  I was a CCM skater for a number of years and switched to Bauer last season.  I have a wide foot and went with Bauer Nexus but have not been happy with the feel and fit.  I started thinking about True Custom but then I saw retail versions coming out.  I went down to my local store and tried a pair out.  I could not get my foot in at all, crazy how stiff these are, but once they were heated up, I was able to get them on and I was impressed with the fit.  I see its common for them to be hard to get on and off.  I found out there are some tricks putting them on and heating up the eyelet cuffs to flare it out some should help.  I'm looking forward to getting out on them in the next few days and will report back after some ice sessions.

• Like 3

Update:

After a few weeks of skating in the TF9 and my custom TRUE skates, I think the sizing is significantly off. I wear a 7 1/4E right skate and a 7 E left skate in customs for both Bauer and CCM.

In retail skates, I typically go with a size 7.5EE which seems to work fine. There is slightly more room than I would prefer but when I but in my powerfoot inserts everything feels perfect. 

I grabbed a size 7.5R, 7R, and 6.5R in the TRUE TF9. Size 7.5R was way too big in both length and volume before baking which was significantly worse after baking. I feel like my foot is swimming in the skate like I am wearing a size 8EE. Size 6.5 was too small in length but felt great in width. The size 7R felt good before baking in length and width and was slightly better fitting after baking. The skate really seemed to give a more volume after the bake but after adding some powerfoot these also felt pretty good. Not as good as my customs, obviously, but for a retail skate they felt nice. 

Fast forward a few weeks and many ice times later and the TF9 7R now feels too big in both length and width. The skates feel sloppy like I am putting my foot in a Nexus skate when I need something more standard. I am unable to use them without feeling out of control on the ice and don't trust my edges do to the lack of connected feeling. 

I baked the size 6.5R and my toes were definitely smashed into the toe cap before baking but after baking the fit loosed up a little. I am still getting "hammer toes" but every skate as the foams and boot break in more I am gaining more space and volume I the boot and the boot is beginning to fit better. I also baked the 6.5R after every few ice times which has also helped as well. 

What's shocking is I was able to mount a size 272 holder to the 6.5R without any issues or having the holder hang off the ends of the skate. I am so confused with the fit of these skates that I honestly don't even know what to advise to people anymore who ask me about the proper size they should order. 

Perhaps my custom skates have spoiled me. All of my custom skates fit me nicely, as they should, but even the retail models of Bauer and CCM seems to also fit my specific foot very well. I am just having a hard time processing that I need a size 6.5R skate in the TRUE retail skates. Obviously, the skate is longer in overall length than the rating suggests otherwise there is NO WAY I could fit a 272 holder on a 6.5R skate without having it hang off the ends. 

IWAM8RC.jpg

Edited by SkateWorksPNW
grammar ediits
  • Thanks 1

What you're saying makes sense to me - as an 8EE Mako II user I thought I'd be an 8W in the TF9's, but when I tried those on they were clearly too long. When I tried on the 7.5W they felt like they had more room in the forefoot than my 8EE Makos without even being baked (but the heel felt tighter). The 7.5W's felt like I could go skate with them without baking; so I'd be a little concerned that they'd feel too big after baking and break in. I was thinking that if I do buy a TF9 or TF7 in the future I should try on a 7W, 7R, 7.5R and 7.5W (if the shop will let me bake one or two of them after I narrowed down the sizes that'd be ideal, but I know not all shops will do that). 

Usually after trying on a skate I'm pretty confident what size I'd need, but right now the only thing I'm sure of is that the 8W is definitely too big. I don't need skates right now anyway since I have backup Mako II's and all the hockey around here has been suspended until at least mid-Nov, but these seem to be the most likely skates to replace my Mako II's when it's time. 

Edited by althoma1

This is what makes me unsure about skates you have to bake to try on at all. Everything close feels good when it’s warm and soft and molding to your foot. But, a half size up or down is more noticeable when the materials are cooled and hardened, and it goes back to feeling like a skate and not like a soft sneaker. 

I really don't get how you can get more volume out of a pair of skates. The only way I've ever heard is when the tongue compresses a bit. Not sure how the quarters can stretch. I remember this being a thing with Alkali years ago, but I just never understood it

2 hours ago, Miller55 said:

I really don't get how you can get more volume out of a pair of skates. The only way I've ever heard is when the tongue compresses a bit. Not sure how the quarters can stretch. I remember this being a thing with Alkali years ago, but I just never understood it

Foams break down or compress which gives more volume. 

3 hours ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

Foams break down or compress which gives more volume. 

Esp now days with foams being thicker which in term result in more packing and more of a size discrepancy once that happens. 

I know the Trues have noticeably more foam in the heel area vs ccm and Bauer. That might contribute as to why the external length of the skate is longer than ccm or Bauer but internally are closer to the true size? 

Either way it sucks for ppp who can't try the skates on in store bc this obviously is an issue for people when trying to find the right size in these skates and can only purchase online. 

For the experts out there, I am hoping for advice and if the below is something you might be able to help me tackle I’d actually gladly pay for a video chat consultation to help me address my skate/skating issues.

Would anyone have experience trying to alleviate severe pain in ball of foot (big toe side) issues? Its localized on my left foot exactly where the anchor rivet is in the holder below the ball of the foot.

I’ve tried the usual ball of foot pain pads but they make the pain worse as it increases the pressure on the area. So far, I have managed to Frankenstein a solution by:

a.       Removing the rivet which obviously cant be great for structural integrity of the skate. Oddly, the pain was worse when the stock copper flat head rivet than replacing with a steel rivet, before I just removed them altogether which reduced the pain most.

b.       Then using the speed plate as a base, then laying a regular cushioned tennis shoe footbed on top of it, THEN adding the regular stock skate footbed on top of that.    

c.       I did also add a lateral side shim in an attempt to redistribute my weight away from the medial side.

This total combination of factors has helped largely eliminate the issue. However, the current Vapor 1x’s I’m in are breaking down and I’m needing to get new skates. Hoping for a more elegant solution than the one I came up with, and I am also not wanting to repeat this tedious process of troubleshooting the issue in a new skate last and all the complexities associated with it.

The reason I am posting on the True thread is hoping that a custom VH fitting might be able to help address this - or will it actually compound the problem in case I need to go with adding additional padding in the footbed where the skate is so tight that I will be unable to do so after its fitted.   

Also…

Where I am more interested in the VH fit skates is that I also have a talocalcaneal coalition in my right foot – it’s a congenital condition where two of the tarsal bones grow fused together and create a large bony protrusion where the talus and calcaneus meet, just below the medial malleolus.

Essentially, it results in mild/severe pronation, and I cannot supinate the foot. The effect is that I have always had trouble really controlling the inside edge (presents as severe chattering at best or simply just catching the edge when stopping on my right side at high speeds). Sudden stops are out of the question and actually dangerous to do. I did have lateral shims installed but only mild improvement.   

So would a custom fitting help to address the bony protusion for which I’ve had to punch the crap out of my Vapors to accommodate, and also help experiment if needed with aligning the holder to address some of the pronation/inability to supinate?

Any help would be great, thank you.

Edited by ysheen812

3 hours ago, ysheen812 said:

For the experts out there, I am hoping for advice and if the below is something you might be able to help me tackle I’d actually gladly pay for a video chat consultation to help me address my skate/skating issues.

Would anyone have experience trying to alleviate severe pain in ball of foot (big toe side) issues? Its localized on my left foot exactly where the anchor rivet is in the holder below the ball of the foot.

I’ve tried the usual ball of foot pain pads but they make the pain worse as it increases the pressure on the area. So far, I have managed to Frankenstein a solution by:

a.       Removing the rivet which obviously cant be great for structural integrity of the skate. Oddly, the pain was worse when the stock copper flat head rivet than replacing with a steel rivet, before I just removed them altogether which reduced the pain most.

b.       Then using the speed plate as a base, then laying a regular cushioned tennis shoe footbed on top of it, THEN adding the regular stock skate footbed on top of that.    

c.       I did also add a lateral side shim in an attempt to redistribute my weight away from the medial side.

This total combination of factors has helped largely eliminate the issue. However, the current Vapor 1x’s I’m in are breaking down and I’m needing to get new skates. Hoping for a more elegant solution than the one I came up with, and I am also not wanting to repeat this tedious process of troubleshooting the issue in a new skate last and all the complexities associated with it.

The reason I am posting on the True thread is hoping that a custom VH fitting might be able to help address this - or will it actually compound the problem in case I need to go with adding additional padding in the footbed where the skate is so tight that I will be unable to do so after its fitted.   

Also…

Where I am more interested in the VH fit skates is that I also have a talocalcaneal coalition in my right foot – it’s a congenital condition where two of the tarsal bones grow fused together and create a large bony protrusion where the talus and calcaneus meet, just below the medial malleolus.

Essentially, it results in mild/severe pronation, and I cannot supinate the foot. The effect is that I have always had trouble really controlling the inside edge (presents as severe chattering at best or simply just catching the edge when stopping on my right side at high speeds). Sudden stops are out of the question and actually dangerous to do. I did have lateral shims installed but only mild improvement.   

So would a custom fitting help to address the bony protusion for which I’ve had to punch the crap out of my Vapors to accommodate, and also help experiment if needed with aligning the holder to address some of the pronation/inability to supinate?

Any help would be great, thank you.

Where are you located?