Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
marka

TRUE TF9/TF7 skates

17 minutes ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

Where are you located? 

Unfortunately Im in Tokyo which is why I'm reaching out on the board and hoping for a remote/virtual based solution. Thanks!

On 10/16/2020 at 10:59 AM, SkateWorksPNW said:

Update:

After a few weeks of skating in the TF9 and my custom TRUE skates, I think the sizing is significantly off. I wear a 7 1/4E right skate and a 7 E left skate in customs for both Bauer and CCM.

In retail skates, I typically go with a size 7.5EE which seems to work fine. There is slightly more room than I would prefer but when I but in my powerfoot inserts everything feels perfect. 

I grabbed a size 7.5R, 7R, and 6.5R in the TRUE TF9. Size 7.5R was way too big in both length and volume before baking which was significantly worse after baking. I feel like my foot is swimming in the skate like I am wearing a size 8EE. Size 6.5 was too small in length but felt great in width. The size 7R felt good before baking in length and width and was slightly better fitting after baking. The skate really seemed to give a more volume after the bake but after adding some powerfoot these also felt pretty good. Not as good as my customs, obviously, but for a retail skate they felt nice. 

Fast forward a few weeks and many ice times later and the TF9 7R now feels too big in both length and width. The skates feel sloppy like I am putting my foot in a Nexus skate when I need something more standard. I am unable to use them without feeling out of control on the ice and don't trust my edges do to the lack of connected feeling. 

I baked the size 6.5R and my toes were definitely smashed into the toe cap before baking but after baking the fit loosed up a little. I am still getting "hammer toes" but every skate as the foams and boot break in more I am gaining more space and volume I the boot and the boot is beginning to fit better. I also baked the 6.5R after every few ice times which has also helped as well. 

What's shocking is I was able to mount a size 272 holder to the 6.5R without any issues or having the holder hang off the ends of the skate. I am so confused with the fit of these skates that I honestly don't even know what to advise to people anymore who ask me about the proper size they should order. 

Perhaps my custom skates have spoiled me. All of my custom skates fit me nicely, as they should, but even the retail models of Bauer and CCM seems to also fit my specific foot very well. I am just having a hard time processing that I need a size 6.5R skate in the TRUE retail skates. Obviously, the skate is longer in overall length than the rating suggests otherwise there is NO WAY I could fit a 272 holder on a 6.5R skate without having it hang off the ends. 

Ok, I am 100% convinced there is something crazy going on with TRUE sizing.

Here are pics comparing my TRUE customs vs a size 7R in the first photo.

The second photo is my TRUE customs compared to a size 6.5R TF9. Both have 272 holders. My custom skates are basically a size 7.25 when compared to Bauer and CCM. 

To think I have to go to a size 6R is crazy. That would be 1.5 sizes down from Bauer and CCM!

fymbgSs.jpg

7hCIVsd.jpg

Edited by SkateWorksPNW

1 hour ago, Hills said:

But people told me my sizing comments were wrong and they fit true to size 🤔

Size 8.0 Fit2 Bauer Supreme 3S compared against a TRUE TF9 size 7.0R

I don't know if this is the case with all sizes of TRUE TF9 vs other brands but at least in size 6.5R-7.5R, it seems they run about 3/4 of a size large. 

eSsRmhu.jpg

Edited by SkateWorksPNW

Sadly looks like I’m going to return my tf9s.  After baking them and doing the eyelet cuff flare out, when they cool down it’s still too difficult for me to get my feet into.  High arch and wide feet be damned!!! :(  I Tried putting my foot in with the skate sideways and twisting but doesn’t work.  The outside of the boot digs into my foot and wants to take a layer of skin off, ouch!!  Once they are on, they fit great, sadly just too much hassle.  I don’t want to over due it on heating and widening the outside, then the fit will be compromised.

Edited by ChrisG72

39 minutes ago, ChrisG72 said:

Sadly looks like I’m going to return my tf9s.  After baking them and doing the eyelet cuff flare out, when they cool down it’s still too difficult for me to get my feet into.  High arch and wide feet be damned!!! :(  I Tried putting my foot in with the skate sideways and twisting but doesn’t work.  The outside of the boot digs into my foot and wants to take a layer of skin off, ouch!!  Once they are on, they fit great, sadly just too much hassle.  I don’t want to over due it on heating and widening the outside, then the fit will be compromised.

I don't have ridiculously wide feet but mine are slightly wide. I also have very high arches too. It's not super difficult to get the skates on/off but there absolutely was a learning curve to figuring out how to do it. I totally understand your frustration. For the first couple of months it drove me nuts. 

22 hours ago, ysheen812 said:

So would a custom fitting help to address the bony protusion for which I’ve had to punch the crap out of my Vapors to accommodate, and also help experiment if needed with aligning the holder to address some of the pronation/inability to supinate?

Any help would be great, thank you.

Will a custom fitting address pronation? Short answer is no. Long answer is yes but... 

Will a custom fitting address the bony protusion? Yes but only if they get the measurements right. 

As to your foot pain, I suspect it's because of the shape of the foot in the boot and its loading up on the forefoot pad, this is very common with pronation. I have dealt with it and helped other players with it.

pm me (or start a new thread) if you want more info as this isn't the thread to discuss this. The sad reality is that there isn't a quick or easy fix.

21 hours ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

Size 8.0 Fit2 Bauer Supreme 3S compared against a TRUE TF9 size 7.0R

I don't know if this is the case with all sizes of TRUE TF9 vs other brands but at least in size 6.5R-7.5R, it seems they run about 3/4 of a size large. 

eSsRmhu.jpg

That's looks about right doesnt it? The bauer being a size larger, and the bauer looks like it is larger. 

Edited by Sniper9

22 hours ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

Ok, I am 100% convinced there is something crazy going on with TRUE sizing.

Here are pics comparing my TRUE customs vs a size 7R in the first photo.

The second photo is my TRUE customs compared to a size 6.5R TF9. Both have 272 holders.

To think I have to go to a size 6R is crazy. That would be 1.5 sizes down from Bauer and CCM!

fymbgSs.jpg

7hCIVsd.jpg

Looks like I'll be sticking with customs. Lol. 

58 minutes ago, Sniper9 said:

That's looks about right doesnt it? The bauer being a size larger, and the bauer looks like it is larger. 

I think a size 7.0R TRUE TF9 would be considerably smaller than a size 8.0 Bauer skate. When putting both of these on they almost feel the same in size.

1 hour ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

I think a size 7.0R TRUE TF9 would be considerably smaller than a size 8.0 Bauer skate. When putting both of these on they almost feel the same in size.

Wonder why that is... Esp since the tries actually look smaller 

1 hour ago, Sniper9 said:

Wonder why that is... Esp since the tries actually look smaller 

The TRUE skates in the pic are smaller, they are a size 7. The Bauer is a size 8. I don't see a full size difference between the two. Do you? 

1 hour ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

The TRUE skates in the pic are smaller, they are a size 7. The Bauer is a size 8. I don't see a full size difference between the two. Do you? 

To me it kind of does. With your experience in the previous pics I would expect the true 7r and Bauer 8ee to be the same in length.  Maybe it's a quality control thing more than anything with mislabeled sizes? Did u match the size inside the boot with the tongue.  

Edited by Sniper9

21 hours ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

I don't have ridiculously wide feet but mine are slightly wide. I also have very high arches too. It's not super difficult to get the skates on/off but there absolutely was a learning curve to figuring out how to do it. I totally understand your frustration. For the first couple of months it drove me nuts. 

I decided to give them another chance today and I was able to get my feet a little easier.  I’m still not a fan of them being this hard to get into.  I got a skate with them, overall good minus they are not profiled to my liking and they felt a tad roomy in the toe box when skating.  I’m still on the fence on them but may give them another try or 2.

2 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

To me it kind of does. With your experience in the previous pics I would expect the true 7r and Bauer 8ee to be the same in length.  Maybe it's a quality control thing more than anything with mislabeled sizes? Did u match the size inside the boot with the tongue.  

I owned multiple hockey stores until recently.... of course I double and triple checked these things. Also, this is a 7R TRUE vs a Bauer 8 Fit2 (D)

Howdy,

In the length pics from @SkateWorksPNW, are those with the back/bottom of the boot resting on a reference block or the holder/steel?

Just wanting to confirm that you're seeing boot sizing vs. fore/aft holder mounting location.

Appreciate the sizing info... I don't immediately need skates, but the TF7 is what I'm thinking I'll go to reasonably soon since my Mako M8's have seen better days at this point.  I don't really care what number they put on there, as long as I can get some that fit!

Mark

33 minutes ago, marka said:

Howdy,

In the length pics from @SkateWorksPNW, are those with the back/bottom of the boot resting on a reference block or the holder/steel?

Just wanting to confirm that you're seeing boot sizing vs. fore/aft holder mounting location.

Appreciate the sizing info... I don't immediately need skates, but the TF7 is what I'm thinking I'll go to reasonably soon since my Mako M8's have seen better days at this point.  I don't really care what number they put on there, as long as I can get some that fit!

Mark

In this pic the boots do not have any holders attached so its showing heel to toe in length. 

fymbgSs.jpg

• Like 1

It's a bit hard to see much with any precision when looking at your pictures, @SkateWorksPNW. Your camera looks like it might be handheld because the floor line slants down to the left and you tend to put the smaller skate on the left. The skate on the right looks bigger in both cases, but in the True custom / True stock photo, it appears you might also be positioning the camera closer to the skates, which would make the scale different in the two shots.

1 hour ago, flip12 said:

It's a bit hard to see much with any precision when looking at your pictures, @SkateWorksPNW. Your camera looks like it might be handheld because the floor line slants down to the left and you tend to put the smaller skate on the left. The skate on the right looks bigger in both cases, but in the True custom / True stock photo, it appears you might also be positioning the camera closer to the skates, which would make the scale different in the two shots.

You can look at how much space there is at the front and rear of the holder to see the length difference. 

7hCIVsd.jpg

On 6/30/2020 at 7:03 PM, Miller55 said:

That's what it looks like, which is pretty crazy, because that would mean that True's top of the line retail skate, if it is really comparable to the other big brands spec-wise and performance-wise, will come in at almost $400 cheaper than top of the line Bauer and CCM. 

I'm really interested to find out if the TF9 is actually on par with the other top of the line skates. I always wanted to try a pair of true but could never justify it as I fit retail Supremes pretty decent. But at that price it's a lot more appealing. 

It's a completely diff feel. And personal preference. I for one will never wear another skate, unless true changes their skate so much it's a diff fit years from now. 

I went from Bauer supremes for years with no issues except a small hot spot when walking to and from the change room. I tried trues and it was incredible. I then tried the as1 which was the worst break in period I've ever had. Once that was over though the skate felt fine but I had to be careful not to tie them up too tight or it gave me lacebite which I never had before. Taking passes off the as1 hurt like hell, I couldn't imagine taking shots off the boot. I took a hard slapper on my trues and although it did hurt and left a bruise, I didn't miss the shift. 

Went back to trues and am staying loyal. I tried on some vapors just to walk around earlier this year and I didn't like the fit and lack of comfort. 

Again that's just me. It's all preference. If you have no issues at all with what you're using right now, there's no point changing other than being curious or being a gear whore like some or maybe most of us on this forum are 🤪

Edited by Sniper9

I'm noticing a lot of people are changing out the SHIFT holder with the LS Edge or XS. What are people's thought on the SHIFT holder? I find them to be ok...neither good or nor bad except for how short the steel height is. 

I'm thinking about changing them out and up-sizing to a 263 from a 254 but worried about how the holes will align/ overlap. I have a lot of 263 steel lying around and like the extra height on the steel compared to the SHIFT holder.

I'm still on the Shift as I also find them to be OK - nothing to write home about, and because they are not commonly available replacing steel and/or holder will end up being expensive. So when either of those break I'll switch to LS Edge simply because of the availability, but I don't have an issue with it so I won't replace them prematurely.