Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
marka

TRUE TF9/TF7 skates

On 10/18/2020 at 9:49 PM, ChrisG72 said:

Curious if anyone is using superfeet with their tf7/9s.

I am using superfeet carbon pro yellows.  I was tired of trying to get the arch supports that came with the skates to stay in place.  They always came off when I took my skates off.  I like the superfeet. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, karvy said:

I am using superfeet carbon pro yellows.  I was tired of trying to get the arch supports that came with the skates to stay in place.  They always came off when I took my skates off.  I like the superfeet. 

I have to use the arch supports as well.  I will try out the carbon superfeet instead.  Also ordered some Powerfoot inserts to help with the room in the toes.

Edited by ChrisG72

21 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

It's a completely diff feel. And personal preference. I for one will never wear another skate, unless true changes their skate so much it's a diff fit years from now. 

I went from Bauer supremes for years with no issues except a small hot spot when walking to and from the change room. I tried trues and it was incredible. I then tried the as1 which was the worst break in period I've ever had. Once that was over though the skate felt fine but I had to be careful not to tie them up too tight or it gave me lacebite which I never had before. Taking passes off the as1 hurt like hell, I couldn't imagine taking shots off the boot. I took a hard slapper on my trues and although it did hurt and left a bruise, I didn't miss the shift. 

Went back to trues and am staying loyal. I tried on some vapors just to walk around earlier this year and I didn't like the fit and lack of comfort. 

Again that's just me. It's all preference. If you have no issues at all with what you're using right now, there's no point changing other than being curious or being a gear whore like some or maybe most of us on this forum are 🤪

Agreed. I had a pair of pro return True customs that were incredible comfortable. Ended up selling them for a profit and going for the TF9s, but I'm just not a huge fan of the low cut boot. Same issue I had with Mako IIs and MLXs (although MLXs were also a bit of a volume issue for me). 

Never had an issue with Supremes before, but lately I'm finding that they're not very comfortable for the ankle that I broke a while back. They're very supportive, but not too comfortable. I'm looking into other options at this point, but the low cut of True concerns me. I'm looking into Ribcores or Grafs, but haven't had a chance to try anything on yet

23 hours ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

You can look at how much space there is at the front and rear of the holder to see the length difference. 

I noticed that in the first go 'round. However, looking at it more carefully now, there's a notable difference in the articulation of the heels of the two skates. The heel of your custom boot is much more radiused. A visual guess at what an x-ray might reveal makes me think there's more negative space in that bottom triangle between the horizontal of the boot becoming the vertical. I have no doubt the stock boot would pass as bigger if we could slice both down the middle and inspect the volume better, both metrically and visually, but there are still some apples to oranges issues I'm seeing in the comparison itself, visual illusions that contribute to the perceived size difference.

Just wondering if anyone has switched out the shift holder to tuuk?  Coming from Bauer definitely felt different on the ice.  Still need to get them profiled which may help a bit.

Just now, ChrisG72 said:

Just wondering if anyone has switched out the shift holder to tuuk?  Coming from Bauer definitely felt different on the ice.  Still need to get them profiled which may help a bit.

I changed mine out.

I wanted to give True a full chance including the Shift holder. It was extremely awkward from the first moment I stepped on the ice. For me the skates had a very aggressive forward lean with the heel feeling high. When skating it felt as though the ball of my foot was way ‘over’ the toe of the steel. I especially struggled while skating backwards. After about 3 frustrating skates the pro shop re-profiled the steel and moved the low point of the blade a bit forward. It helped marginally but I was never able to feel good skating backwards.

After about 7 skates I finally gave in and had Tuuks put on. I felt back to normal in about 5 minutes. 

As a note the boot itself is built to promote a bit more forward lean compared to Bauer (which is all I have skated on for many years). But once I was back on Tuuks it was easy to adjust and I don’t notice anymore. My Customs on Tuuks are the most comfortable setup I’ve ever skated on  

26 minutes ago, pucks_putts said:

I changed mine out.

I wanted to give True a full chance including the Shift holder. It was extremely awkward from the first moment I stepped on the ice. For me the skates had a very aggressive forward lean with the heel feeling high. When skating it felt as though the ball of my foot was way ‘over’ the toe of the steel. I especially struggled while skating backwards. After about 3 frustrating skates the pro shop re-profiled the steel and moved the low point of the blade a bit forward. It helped marginally but I was never able to feel good skating backwards.

After about 7 skates I finally gave in and had Tuuks put on. I felt back to normal in about 5 minutes. 

As a note the boot itself is built to promote a bit more forward lean compared to Bauer (which is all I have skated on for many years). But once I was back on Tuuks it was easy to adjust and I don’t notice anymore. My Customs on Tuuks are the most comfortable setup I’ve ever skated on  

Thanks for the feedback.  I felt the same awkwardness and forward lean as you described.  I thought about giving them a chance but feel I’ll be better off with the tuuks.

12 hours ago, Miller55 said:

Agreed. I had a pair of pro return True customs that were incredible comfortable. Ended up selling them for a profit and going for the TF9s, but I'm just not a huge fan of the low cut boot. Same issue I had with Mako IIs and MLXs (although MLXs were also a bit of a volume issue for me). 

Never had an issue with Supremes before, but lately I'm finding that they're not very comfortable for the ankle that I broke a while back. They're very supportive, but not too comfortable. I'm looking into other options at this point, but the low cut of True concerns me. I'm looking into Ribcores or Grafs, but haven't had a chance to try anything on yet

I think if you got try customs you can request a higher cut. You should see if this is an option as I know I've read them doing a lower cut boot and also reduced facing for less wrap. 

2 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

I think if you got try customs you can request a higher cut. You should see if this is an option as I know I've read them doing a lower cut boot and also reduced facing for less wrap. 

I'll look into it. They seem pretty accommodating, I just assumed it sort of defeats the purpose of this style skate and the whole speed skating influence. 

6 hours ago, pucks_putts said:

Did you go with the same size holder? If so, did one side of the holes line up (iirc the inside should line up) or did you / the shop have to redrill both sides?

7 hours ago, gosinger said:

Did you go with the same size holder? If so, did one side of the holes line up (iirc the inside should line up) or did you / the shop have to redrill both sides?

Yes, same size holder. I was in Bauer Supreme NXG size 7ee with 263 Tuuks. And though True Custom does not list sizes the foot beds are labeled as 7 and my new Tuuks are also 263. 

The best I can guess just by looking is that 4 of the holes in the heel line up but they had to drill 2 new ones. In the front it looks like maybe 2 holes line up but it’s hard to see into the toe area. This goes got both sides

Decided to not switch out to Tuuks right now. Brand new skates so I'm not keen on drilling new holes.  We made a slight adjustment to the blades to set me a little more upright feeling. I was on them for 3 hours today and they were starting to feel much better. Still a pain to get on and off but better than the first few days.  

Edited by ChrisG72
  • Like 1

Really wanting to try a pair. Thinking of the TF7. Wondering what size everyone thinks? I’ve worn Bauer supreme size 6. Feel unsure of whether to stay at 6 D or go down to 5.5. Anyone know if going down a half is recommended like I’ve seen with tf9? Not close to any store unfortunately other than a Perani’s which isn’t carrying them. Thank you !

1 hour ago, Wingnut said:

Really wanting to try a pair. Thinking of the TF7. Wondering what size everyone thinks? I’ve worn Bauer supreme size 6. Feel unsure of whether to stay at 6 D or go down to 5.5. Anyone know if going down a half is recommended like I’ve seen with tf9? Not close to any store unfortunately other than a Perani’s which isn’t carrying them. Thank you !

I would go down at least half a size. In my case I had to go down one full size. 

• Like 1

The junior sizes have the same features. You will likely end up with a smaller holder size and steel, but the junior size is cheaper; so if you can't get used to the smaller holder size you could always pay to have longer holders installed with the savings.

I second the recommendation to go down at least a half size in the True retail skates vs.  most other brands. I wear 8EE Mako II skates and 8W TF9s were clearly too long when I tried them on. 7.5W felt better, but I would want to try on 7W, 7R and 7.5R before making a final decision if I buy them in the future. I am sure a skate in the same size I have now is too big though.

The TF7 may feel slightly tighter than the TF9 to start due to the thicker tongue, but the tongue will compress over time and can also be swapped out. The physical length of the TF9 and TF7 is the same and they are built on the same last. I would not size up just to accommodate the thicker tongue.

I finally tried TF9 on the ice yesterday. Wow, so uncomfortable and so many pressure points. I never experienced something similar with other famous hockey brands. Is it expected? Is there any brake in period?

I baked them in a store. It’s so hard to believe the owner of the company: “The most comfortable skates you’ve ever had” 🙂

3 hours ago, transcription said:

Is there any brake in period?

If they have been baked then there should be very little break in period. I was talking to someone yesterday at my local rink who had just purchased TF9's, he was on the ice for 6 hours on his first skate in them, to quote what he said - "most comfortable skate I have ever worn".

If you are finding them that uncomfortable you should go back to the store and get then rebaked.

7 hours ago, transcription said:

I finally tried TF9 on the ice yesterday. Wow, so uncomfortable and so many pressure points. I never experienced something similar with other famous hockey brands. Is it expected? Is there any brake in period?

I baked them in a store. It’s so hard to believe the owner of the company: “The most comfortable skates you’ve ever had” 🙂

How long were they baked for?

8 hours ago, transcription said:

I'm going out on a limb and saying most likely your skates weren't baked long enough, I just bought the TF9 yesterday and they need to be baked for 12 minutes. And yes, I'll still say the most comfortable skate I've ever owned.

If you are having any pain points or discomfort the True's are by the easiest skate to mold around any problem areas. Take them back to the store where you purchased them and have a knowledgeable employee take you through the baking process. 

2 hours ago, Monty22 said:

How long were they baked for?

As I remember they baked them for up to 10 minutes or so. It was ~3 months ago, so it’s hard to recall. I think I’ll head back to the store and ask them to rebake the skates.

Thanks.

• Confused 1

43 minutes ago, transcription said:

As I remember they baked them for up to 10 minutes or so. It was ~3 months ago, so it’s hard to recall. I think I’ll head back to the store and ask them to rebake the skates.

Thanks.

You have had the TF9 skates for 3+ months?