Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
marka

TRUE TF9/TF7 skates

1 hour ago, transcription said:

Yes, but the rinks in my city have just opened. I didn’t have a chance to try them before.

You didn't feel the pressure points in the store as they cooled? You didn't try them on inside at all after? 

41 minutes ago, Sniper9 said:

You didn't feel the pressure points in the store as they cooled? You didn't try them on inside at all after? 

I tried them in store after and at home multiple times. But skating is different. Skating revealed that discomfort and pressure points. For example, on top of my foot between 4th and fifth eyelet right under the tongue, there is a pain point that I started to feel after 5 minutes skating, which I didn’t feel before. I’ll try to lift the tongue higher next time to see whether is makes any difference.

Edited by transcription
  • Like 1

Be careful during the bake, you don't want to tighten the laces too much, like 70-80% tight of how you normally tie them. Also, if you can try to have someone else tighten them for you, you want to be careful how you pull them tight obviously to not tear an eyelet but also to get the right wrap. It's also key to make sure you try & sit with knees at 90 degrees and your feet flat during the 15 minute cool off.

3 hours ago, the_game said:

Be careful during the bake, you don't want to tighten the laces too much, like 70-80% tight of how you normally tie them. Also, if you can try to have someone else tighten them for you, you want to be careful how you pull them tight obviously to not tear an eyelet but also to get the right wrap. It's also key to make sure you try & sit with knees at 90 degrees and your feet flat during the 15 minute cool off.

I watched videos on youtube, the guys say that knees must be right over the toes. I wasn’t told to do that in the store. Also, when the skates are warm, should I make the kicking motion to land my heel right in the end of the boot (as usually)?

6 hours ago, transcription said:

I tried them in store after and at home multiple times. But skating is different. Skating revealed that discomfort and pressure points. For example, on top of my foot between 4th and fifth eyelet right under the tongue, there is a pain point that I started to feel after 5 minutes skating, which I didn’t feel before. I’ll try to lift the tongue higher next time to see whether is makes any difference.

Are the pressure points on the actual boot or only around the tongue area like you described.  If tongue, then you're probably lacing too tight. Or like u said move the tongue around.  

4 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

Are the pressure points on the actual boot or only around the tongue area like you described.  If tongue, then you're probably lacing too tight. Or like u said move the tongue around.  

The main concern is area under the tongue. I tried to move tongue a bit higher and it added some room in that part. Will see how it goes when I’m on the ice.

Another concern is on the right part. It feels like that tipping bone (sorry English is not my first language) doesn’t go in pre-baked pocket. I’ll definitely go back to the store to bake them again. I have a plan to try a different tongue (the one from tf7) and to see whether it gets less painful. 

On 11/6/2020 at 9:43 PM, transcription said:

The main concern is area under the tongue. I tried to move tongue a bit higher and it added some room in that part. Will see how it goes when I’m on the ice.

Another concern is on the right part. It feels like that tipping bone (sorry English is not my first language) doesn’t go in pre-baked pocket. I’ll definitely go back to the store to bake them again. I have a plan to try a different tongue (the one from tf7) and to see whether it gets less painful. 

Okay, it looks like tongue manipulation improved the situation. I was on the ice yesterday and I didn’t notice pressure point under the tongue. Another problem that appeared is that moving the tongue higher freed up some space close to the toe of the boot and it feels kind of loose in that place now.

1 hour ago, althoma1 said:

In front of the toe or above the toe? If it's the latter, you could try powerfoot inserts: https://www.adrenalinedesign.ca/powerfoot/

I haven't used them myself, but quite a few people seem to like them and they're designed to take up the space above the toes. 

Thanks for the link. The feeling is like around the toes, but I do realize that it must be above ones.

Another try. I switched the laces to default ones (I used waxed before), lowered the tongue back to initial position and the pressure point doesn’t feel that much. I wonder how it’s going to be on the ice.

4 hours ago, transcription said:

Thanks for the link. The feeling is like around the toes, but I do realize that it must be above ones.

Another try. I switched the laces to default ones (I used waxed before), lowered the tongue back to initial position and the pressure point doesn’t feel that much. I wonder how it’s going to be on the ice.

It's probably bc you were over tightening. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, althoma1 said:

In front of the toe or above the toe? If it's the latter, you could try powerfoot inserts: https://www.adrenalinedesign.ca/powerfoot/

I haven't used them myself, but quite a few people seem to like them and they're designed to take up the space above the toes. 

I found that there was too much room and went with the inserts and works great for me.

Not sure if this is the right place but I didn't want to start another thread, but the TF Inlines are now available on IW. Very interesting looking skate. I happen to hate revision, so the value is not there for me. 

1 hour ago, ChrisG72 said:

I found that there was too much room and went with the inserts and works great for me.

I hate negative space in the toe cap so much my tongues are pushed forward (not all the way) AND I made my own version of power foot inserts with pieces of eva foam from the dollar store. It doesn't pack like the soft foam the power foots are made of. 

On 11/8/2020 at 10:31 AM, transcription said:

I tried them on the ice and it was fine, no pressure point anymore. I’ll stick to stock laces.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, transcription said:

TF9 skates have kind of soft sponge or something in the toe area. What must be the feeling for the right size - when the toes are on top of this sponge or right by it touching it lightly?

Whatever is more comfortable to you

Second skate in my TF9’s, love them. Fit like a glove, even better than the second hand Custom True’s I had before. crazy how broken down my customs were, I barely need to tie the TF9 with how they wrap and how stiff they are.

Only thing I’m not a fan of is the holder size, was on 272 Tuuk and these came with a 263 Shift holder. It’s not too much length but it makes enough of a difference to throw me off. Thinking about going with a 272 shift holder though, I really like the blades and the holder. 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, dkmiller3356 said:

Totally love that True is posting their skates with the Tuuk holder on FB!!! LOL... even they know which holder is better!!WE4CAS2.png

They are just reposting someone else's pic. They do that a lot. JS is John Schiavo who owns true sponsored pro player. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dkmiller3356 said:

still funny....and IMHO still telling!

It's not a secret the majority of people swap the true holders to tuuk or xs ones. At the end of the day whether people use the shift holder or not, they're paying for the shift holders so I don't think true cares lol

4 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

It's not a secret the majority of people swap the true holders to tuuk or xs ones. At the end of the day whether people use the shift holder or not, they're paying for the shift holders so I don't think true cares lol

I like all of the current holders on the market; EDGE, XS, and SHIFT holder. They are all mostly similar but obviously have different locking mechanisms for replacement steel. Excluding professional players, I see more general consumers gravitate towards EDGE holders, or for whatever holder they have extra steel for. 

I have been testing the new Byonic steel which can fit in both the XS holder and the EDGE holder. If I was on the ice blindfolded I can tell you with confidence I would not be able to confirm which holder I was skating on between the two. I would absolutely be able to tell you when I was skating on the SHIFT holder though since the dynamic of that holder and steel is very different compared to the others. 

3 hours ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

I like all of the current holders on the market; EDGE, XS, and SHIFT holder. They are all mostly similar but obviously have different locking mechanisms for replacement steel. Excluding professional players, I see more general consumers gravitate towards EDGE holders, or for whatever holder they have extra steel for. 

I have been testing the new Byonic steel which can fit in both the XS holder and the EDGE holder. If I was on the ice blindfolded I can tell you with confidence I would not be able to confirm which holder I was skating on between the two. I would absolutely be able to tell you when I was skating on the SHIFT holder though since the dynamic of that holder and steel is very different compared to the others. 

How do you mean, the dynamic of the Shift holder and steel is different?

9 hours ago, flip12 said:

How do you mean, the dynamic of the Shift holder and steel is different?

The holder has more forward pitch and is taller than the other holders. It's also symmetrical. Those things plus the inability to use the various steel options resulted in a very different experience and "feel" when skating on the SHIFT holder vs others. 

IMO, while CCM tried to replicate the "feel" of the EDGE holder so that players could more easily transition to the XS holder from the EDGE holder, TRUE instead wanted to change things up.

These changes resulted in a significantly different experience which some may enjoy and other will not. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

The holder has more forward pitch and is taller than the other holders. It's also symmetrical. Those things plus the inability to use the various steel options resulted in a very different experience and "feel" when skating on the SHIFT holder vs others. 

IMO, while CCM tried to replicate the "feel" of the EDGE holder so that players could more easily transition to the XS holder from the EDGE holder, TRUE instead wanted to change things up.

These changes resulted in a significantly different experience which some may enjoy and other will not. 

That’s a great summary, and makes me really want to try the Shift holder.