Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
marka

TRUE TF9/TF7 skates

It's not gonna be the final say, but if there way too wide then you'll be able to tell even without baking. Also, you can kinda feel if something goes but feels like it will open up more. In that case you might go a half size down and then bake again. Maybe order a pair from IW to try on? 

Edited by Miller55

12 hours ago, Westside said:

I’m definitely on the border with shallowness of vapors and honestly should be in a supreme boot, but I’ve worn multiple vapor models for over a decade so I’m used to them at this point. 

Yeah, my current skates are from the 2017 vapor range so pre-2x, but it sounds like that would be a good thing? Damn, I just had my feet on a brannock scale today but don’t recall the width measurement 

Just use a tape measure. 

This thread was extremely helpful in getting a pair of TF9 that fit properly. Thank you all. I went from a Bauer 8.5D to a True 8R. Once baked they fit both my feet perfectly! Wondering if anyone has tried the felt t-guard tongue with these? The stock tongue seems fine, but from a looks perspective, I prefer traditional felt. 

Mounted the R1's to the Trues and removed most of the colorful graphics as they were too loud for me. Very happy I made the jump to these. Now I just hope they hold up durability-wise.

DSCF3978-vi.jpg

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Westside said:

This thread was extremely helpful in getting a pair of TF9 that fit properly. Thank you all. I went from a Bauer 8.5D to a True 8R. Once baked they fit both my feet perfectly! Wondering if anyone has tried the felt t-guard tongue with these? The stock tongue seems fine, but from a looks perspective, I prefer traditional felt. 

Mounted the R1's to the Trues and removed most of the colorful graphics as they were too loud for me. Very happy I made the jump to these. Now I just hope they hold up durability-wise.

DSCF3978-vi.jpg

I like that you colored in the blue/white details. 

• Like 1

Howdy,

32 page thread and I'm struggling to find sizing comparisons...

IIRC, the consensus was that the TF9's fit a half size bigger as compared to most other skates but the TF7's fit about the same?

In a 7.5 regular width Mako M8 now.  I was looking pretty hard at the TF7's before the pandemic shut everything down.  Vaccinated and back playing again and thinking I should probably pick up a pair.  I'll probably go to a "local" shop about 1.5 hours away, but considering sideline swap on some used ones if I can make a pretty good guess on sizing...

Mark

7s also fit a half size down. My guess is you would take either a 7R or possibly even a 6.5R depending on how you fit the Makos. I took 9.5 Mako, 9 Supreme and 8.5 TFs in both TF7 and TF9

• Like 1

@marka I think it was the tongues throwing some people off? The thicker TF7 tongue gave the impression of less forefoot volume and overall length compared to the thinner TF9 tongue.

Between the TF9 and TF7 the shell form is the same, foam type and thickness aren’t noticeably different, liner is of course slightly sleeker on the TF9, but the major differentiator is the tongue.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, marka said:

Howdy,

32 page thread and I'm struggling to find sizing comparisons...

IIRC, the consensus was that the TF9's fit a half size bigger as compared to most other skates but the TF7's fit about the same?

In a 7.5 regular width Mako M8 now.  I was looking pretty hard at the TF7's before the pandemic shut everything down.  Vaccinated and back playing again and thinking I should probably pick up a pair.  I'll probably go to a "local" shop about 1.5 hours away, but considering sideline swap on some used ones if I can make a pretty good guess on sizing...

Mark

I have 8EE Mako skates and scan as 7.5 Fit 3 for Bauer. 7.5W felt like the right size before baking and 7W felt too small, but I went with a 7W based on Hills video and the sizing experiences listed here. After baking, my toes just brush the cap and before baking they were HARD against the cap. 

Externally, when I put the 8EE and 7W Makos side by side they look like they're the same size. The 7W True does feel just a touch smaller than the 8EE Makos, but maybe a quarter size at most. So I would say the Trues fit 3/4 sizes larger vs. a Mako in the same size. I have only worn the Trues once though and the Makos have been used a few seasons. 

So, I agree with Miller55. You will need either a 7 or 6.5. The right size will feel too small before baking. You definitely want to drop down at least a half size vs. Mako as the same size will already be too long before baking. 

• Like 1

Howdy,

Thanks folks.

I've not done a scan with the new Bauer fit setup, but I did two scans with the older stuff.

The first gave a result of a 7.5EE Supreme with a custom fit of 7.25 left, 6.75 right.  The second scan was 7.0EE Supreme with a 7.00 left, 6.75 right.  Both scans were just over the line into the EE range with one foot slightly below and one slightly above.

In the 7.5R M8's, my toes don't brush the toecap.  I also fail the pencil test a bit, but have never had an issue with lacebite (guessing that the M8's hard plastic tongue protector helps there).

Thinking that means I should probably try the 6.5 TF7.  Unsure about wide or not.  I think the M8's worked for me because they were moldable enough that the forefoot area could widen out without the heel getting sloppy.

Mark

@marka I think buying a 6.5R from a shop that honors the 30 day satisfaction guarantee is your best bet. If you don't have a shop nearby that does that, Icewarehouse offers that. They will feel way too tight before baking, but from everything I've read, my experience with the TF9s and the data you've provided, 6.5R is most likely the size you'll need. The Trues are very thermoformable and are the closest thing to Makos currently on the market. I think the R's will be wide enough for you after baking if you're in D Makos, but buying from a shop that honors the guarantee would allow you to change sizes if they don't fit the way you like after a good bake.

Just have them baked and fit like SVH demonstrates in this video: 

• Like 2

On 5/9/2021 at 10:31 PM, flip12 said:

@marka I think it was the tongues throwing some people off? The thicker TF7 tongue gave the impression of less forefoot volume and overall length compared to the thinner TF9 tongue.

Between the TF9 and TF7 the shell form is the same, foam type and thickness aren’t noticeably different, liner is of course slightly sleeker on the TF9, but the major differentiator is the tongue.

This is correct. From what I have seen in store fitting players for TF7/9 skates that they usually go with a 0.5 size larger when selecting a TF7 over the TF9. I think this is dude to the tongue and because the TF9 is slightly more thermoformable than the TF7. 

Can’t speak to the FT7 tongues, but I did purchase the T-guard felt tongues (preferred the traditional look) for my TF9s and it took up a lot more volume inside the boot compared to the standard, thinner, memory foam-like TF9 tongue. I loosened the laces to compensate and then fit was fine, but probably could have rebaked to properly account for the added space it took up

https://www.hockeyvancouver.ca/products/true-t-guard-felt-replacement-skate-tongues?_pos=4&_sid=37f11553a&_ss=r

17 minutes ago, Westside said:

Can’t speak to the FT7 tongues, but I did purchase the T-guard felt tongues (preferred the traditional look) for my TF9s and it took up a lot more volume inside the boot compared to the standard, thinner, memory foam-like TF9 tongue. I loosened the laces to compensate and then fit was fine, but probably could have rebaked to properly account for the added space it took up

https://www.hockeyvancouver.ca/products/true-t-guard-felt-replacement-skate-tongues?_pos=4&_sid=37f11553a&_ss=r

I did the opposite. Bought some pro tongues for my TF7. They gave me more room and a little bit more lenght. And they are way more comfortable than the TF7 felt tongues, the fit/lock also improved.

So I'm trying to grab a pair of TF9, but no local shops are carrying them unfortunately. It'll be about 2 months before I'm planning to be by a shop that stocks these and I'll probably need skates sooner. 

I'm between a Bauer Supreme 8.5 Fit3 and 9 Fit2, so tentatively an 8.75 length. I'm assuming I'll go with an 8 TF9 for length, but I'm unsure about the width. My heel is somewhat wide and I have very flat feet. In proper dress shoes I wear a 10EE.

Not sure if an 8R in the TF9 will open up enough for me in the width, or of I should go with an 8W or maybe a 7.5W. Concerned that a W will be too sloppy after baking, out that an R won't expand enough in width to accommodate my heel. Any suggestions? @PBH or others who are knowledgeable on this subject.

In theory I always have the option of ordering a few pairs from IW and baking them to see, but I'm hoping to not have to order 3 pairs of $600 skates...

Edited by Miller55

I have 7W True TF9s converted for inline. The Bauer 3D scan put me in a 7.5 Fit 3 (I think between 7.5 and 8 as the associate brought me those sizes to try after the scan). I wear 8EE Mako II's for ice. I've baked the TF9s twice and have worn them twice. 

Externally, the 8EE Makos and 7W TF9s look the same and the depth is also the same.

On my feet, the 7W TF9s fit my left foot perfectly with my toes brushing and no negative space. My right foot is firm against the cap with the TF9s - I could use a mm or two of room with my right foot, but it's not painful.

My 8EE's feel just a touch longer than the 7W TF9s (so about a quarter size bigger). The TF9 locks my heel in really well and the midfoot is even tighter than the Mako after baking. The Mako toe box is more comfortable for my foot. 

So, if you're between an 8.5 and 9 Bauer, I'd guess that size 8 TF9s would be the right length. For width, I'd definitely say go with the W if you were a Fit 3, but between Fit 2 and 3 is a little tougher. I know my TF9s in W aren't sloppy at all, but there's no way I'd squeeze into a Fit 2. Maybe order an 8R and 8W from IW, bake both and see which feels better for you?

Edited by althoma1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, althoma1 said:

I have 7W True TF9s converted for inline. The Bauer 3D scan put me in a 7.5 Fit 3 (I think between 7.5 and 8 as the associate brought me those sizes to try after the scan). I wear 8EE Mako II's for ice. I've baked the TF9s twice and have worn them twice. 

Externally, the 8EE Makos and 7W TF9s look the same and the depth is also the same.

On my feet, the 7W TF9s fit my left foot perfectly with my toes brushing and no negative space. My right foot is firm against the cap with the TF9s - I could use a mm or two of room with my right foot, but it's not painful.

My 8EE's feel just a touch longer than the 7W TF9s (so about a quarter size bigger). The TF9 locks my heel in really well and the midfoot is even tighter than the Mako after baking. The Mako toe box is more comfortable for my foot. 

So, if you're between an 8.5 and 9 Bauer, I'd guess that size 8 TF9s would be the right length. For width, I'd definitely say go with the W if you were a Fit 3, but between Fit 2 and 3 is a little tougher. I know my TF9s in W aren't sloppy at all, but there's no way I'd squeeze into a Fit 2. Maybe order an 8R and 8W from IW, bake both and see which feels better for you?

Thanks, as always, for taking the time to write this up. I hear what you're saying about width. I would have to stretch the Fit 2 in the forefoot most likely, the Fit 2/3 for me is more about the heel. For example, I couldn't get into an 8.5 Fit2, but I'm fine in an 8.5 Fit3, I would just clamp the heel a drop if I baked them. I'm thinking I'll order 8W from IW and bake them with the saran wrap method. If they feel to sloppy I'll just swap them for another pair. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Miller55 said:

Thanks, as always, for taking the time to write this up. I hear what you're saying about width. I would have to stretch the Fit 2 in the forefoot most likely, the Fit 2/3 for me is more about the heel. For example, I couldn't get into an 8.5 Fit2, but I'm fine in an 8.5 Fit3, I would just clamp the heel a drop if I baked them. I'm thinking I'll order 8W from IW and bake them with the saran wrap method. If they feel to sloppy I'll just swap them for another pair. 

I think that's a good plan. If you would need to stretch a Fit 2 in the forefoot then I would lean toward the 8W TF9s. The W TF9s have great heel lock and wrap really well for my feet. If you're ordering from IW it's very low risk since they honour the 30 day guarantee. 

Has anyone had any issues with the TF9 digging into the area above your ankle (on the outside)? I don't think it's the top of the skate that's causing the issue but possibly the top eyelet which isn't laced. The eyelet doesn't seem recessed into the boot as much as it should be. 

I've flared out the cuff progressively wider a couple of times and it's gotten better each time but when I lean really forward, it still really bites into my leg. I will say that I've never skipped the top eyelet in the past and I seem to be able to get much more forward flex than any other skates (due to very little heel slippage). 

It's happening on both skates. In the past, I've had the top edge of skates dig into the side of my leg but I'd just wear a wristband for extra padding and it was fine. This seems to be lower and much more painful. Is it the skates or my skating technique that's causing the problem?

If it's happened in the past with other skates, it's your bio mechanics. You are pronating in the skates and this forces the top outer edge of the boot to drive into the leg.

19 hours ago, Vet88 said:

If it's happened in the past with other skates, it's your bio mechanics. You are pronating in the skates and this forces the top outer edge of the boot to drive into the leg.

My feet do pronate but it doesn't seem too bad in skates. My ankles don't bend inward when I'm standing or anything. I've read a lot of your posts about fixing pronation problems but is there anything I can do other than lacing less and getting stronger ankles?

On 7/7/2021 at 11:15 PM, calixguy18 said:

Has anyone had any issues with the TF9 digging into the area above your ankle (on the outside)? I don't think it's the top of the skate that's causing the issue but possibly the top eyelet which isn't laced. The eyelet doesn't seem recessed into the boot as much as it should be. 

I've flared out the cuff progressively wider a couple of times and it's gotten better each time but when I lean really forward, it still really bites into my leg. I will say that I've never skipped the top eyelet in the past and I seem to be able to get much more forward flex than any other skates (due to very little heel slippage). 

It's happening on both skates. In the past, I've had the top edge of skates dig into the side of my leg but I'd just wear a wristband for extra padding and it was fine. This seems to be lower and much more painful. Is it the skates or my skating technique that's causing the problem?

Did you try the lipstick spot check Van Horne shows in a video? Put lipstick on the sore spot of your naked ankle/foot, put your skate on and then press your foot up against the skate. Because it sounds like it’s an area where your ankle is moving back and forth in the skate, try to replicate that motion with and without the tongue in place. I’m wondering if it could be the edge of the tongue, as the TF9 tongue lacks the usual plush felt around the edges like a traditional tongue would have.

Edited by flip12

6 hours ago, calixguy18 said:

My feet do pronate but it doesn't seem too bad in skates. My ankles don't bend inward when I'm standing or anything. I've read a lot of your posts about fixing pronation problems but is there anything I can do other than lacing less and getting stronger ankles?

It's often not standing or straight line skating that is the issue. Deep turns and hard acceleration is when the impact is worse - you are pushing hard onto an extended, angled edge and the physical forces transferring thru the skate amplify any alignment issues. 

If you can find a good fitter for figure skates you could talk to them about moving the holder inwards and or shimming the outside edge of the holder. You can also try shims on the inside of the boot, the shims are inserted on the inside of the foot to try and correct pronation. Try a gel pad under the inside of the forefoot, this twists the forefoot towards the outside and helps to reshape the arch and can often reposition the ankle and knee alignment enough to correct a good degree of mild pronation. There are no easy fixes for pronation so its a matter of finding what works best for you.