Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
marka

TRUE TF9/TF7 skates

Howdy,

Finally took the leap.  TF7 in 6.5R.  Coming from Mako M8 in 7.5.  These are definitely a bit shorter, but I wasn't brushing the toe cap in the Mako 7.5's and its "a bit".

Lots of changes... New boot obviously, but also the next size down runner and going from a Zuperior profile to the stock 9'/10' combo on the TF7, if this thread is to be believed.  At least I was able to keep the radius the same at a 3/4 Fire.  No idea what's going to happen when I hit the ice later tonight!

Mark

• Like 1

8 hours ago, marka said:

Howdy,

Finally took the leap.  TF7 in 6.5R.  Coming from Mako M8 in 7.5.  These are definitely a bit shorter, but I wasn't brushing the toe cap in the Mako 7.5's and its "a bit".

Lots of changes... New boot obviously, but also the next size down runner and going from a Zuperior profile to the stock 9'/10' combo on the TF7, if this thread is to be believed.  At least I was able to keep the radius the same at a 3/4 Fire.  No idea what's going to happen when I hit the ice later tonight!

Mark

Let me guess:

A lot of agility and you can turn on a dime. Less speed and you are missing some steel underneath your heel. And maybe your edges are not sharp enough. Acceleration could be slower.

After trying an Ellipse 0 I just ordered an Ellipse XS profile for my TF7 in in 6.5R. And I changed the felt tongue for a pro tongue.

Howdy,

6 hours ago, hockeydad3 said:

Let me guess:

A lot of agility and you can turn on a dime. Less speed and you are missing some steel underneath your heel. And maybe your edges are not sharp enough. Acceleration could be slower.

After trying an Ellipse 0 I just ordered an Ellipse XS profile for my TF7 in in 6.5R. And I changed the felt tongue for a pro tongue.

Not really... No.  🙂

Stability under my heel was ok.  Stumbled over my toes a couple times though.  Agility felt pretty similar... Boots seemed stiffer / felt more solid, but countering that it seemed like I could pivot them on the ice or something slightly better.  Overall a wash on agility.

Fit-wise... Maybe I went too small.  But maybe not too.  Just after putting the skates on and in a bit of a crouch my toes don't touch the endcap unless I 'reach' for them.  But on the ice, particularly when skating backwards (but other times too), my toes hit the endcap reasonably hard.  Certainly much more than a "brush".  I tried tightening the laces along the whole skate because it felt like maybe my foot was moving forward in the skate.  That definitely helped, so I'll try that again today.  In my old makos if I tightened the laces that much my arches would KILL me, but in these (with the "Large" arch supports), no arch pain at all.  That was probably the most surprising thing of the whole deal.

It makes me wonder if I've got a little too much forward pitch.

I also feel a bit of pressure on the side of the inside of my foot at the top of my arch.  Considering trimming down the arch support so that it doesn't wrap up the side of the boot as much, but I want to find some youtube vids or something where someone shows how you're supposed to use the arch supports.  Its not symmetrically shaped there front to back, and I'm not sure the shop put it in the right way either.

The laces are also crazy long.  🙂

Pickup game tonight.  I'll swap the laces to shorter ones and start the session with the forefoot area especially pretty tight.  See how that goes.

Mark

also... The shop (KO Sports near Pittsburgh, PA) was ok with the whole thing.  They clearly didn't sell many Trues / know all that much about them.  I had a younger kid at first, rather than the guy I talked to on the phone and it was his first customer asking about Trues.  The older guy (still not the guy I talked to on the phone) wasn't really any better.  Sizing wise in particular they were both clueless and had me stand on a Bauer stick measurer thing and declared that I would be a size 8.  🙂  I tried that to placate, and they were fine when I asked to try on a 7 and a 6.5 but if I hadn't had some idea that I should do that...  Around that time the guy I'd talked to showed up and he was much more of a "good skate fitter".  He still wasn't a True expert, but together we talked through stuff and figured out where I should be.  Without him, I'd for sure say I'd have been better off just going through IW and doing it myself.  With him... More of a wash.  Its certainly nice to have a real skate oven, have them to the initial sharpening, and easily be able to try on multiple pairs.  Less nice to drive a little over an hour each way.

Also, also... I tried on the TF9 as well.  The fit was certainly a bit different... They felt a bit roomier, particularly in the tongue area.  And the tongue is WAY stiffer than the TF7.  But it was kinda a wash overall.  I certainly didn't feel/notice anything that was worth nearly doubling the skate cost.

Edited by marka

Coming from a 11" profile on 6.5 Supreme 170s I had the experience I mentioned above. And it's similar to the Ellipse 0 I could compare 1:1 with the stock profile. Which Zuperior did you use on your Makos? 

I had a similar problem with the length of the skates. Changing the tongue(the pro tongues are giving some mm more length; I don't know how but it's a fact) and using the heellock tying method solved it. 

• Like 1

Howdy,

3 hours ago, marka said:

I also feel a bit of pressure on the side of the inside of my foot at the top of my arch.  Considering trimming down the arch support so that it doesn't wrap up the side of the boot as much, but I want to find some youtube vids or something where someone shows how you're supposed to use the arch supports.  Its not symmetrically shaped there front to back, and I'm not sure the shop put it in the right way either.

Played with this today.  The arch support inserts have an "L" and an "R" stamped on them and they were in there correctly.  I tried switching to the Medium insert and it seemed like it felt a bit better, so I'll give that a go tonight.

One thing I WON'T be doing is removing the insoles every time I use the skates... What a PITA getting that stuff back in the skate with the insert where I stuck it on the insole...

Mark

Howdy,

11 minutes ago, hockeydad3 said:

Coming from a 11" profile on 6.5 Supreme 170s I had the experience I mentioned above. And it's similar to the Ellipse 0 I could compare 1:1 with the stock profile. Which Zuperior did you use on your Makos? 

I had a similar problem with the length of the skates. Changing the tongue(the pro tongues are giving some mm more length; I don't know how but it's a fact) and using the heellock tying method solved it. 

I had a Zuperior S with a bit more (25%?) forward pitch on a 263 runner, 7.5 skate size.

Mark

1 hour ago, marka said:

Howdy,

Played with this today.  The arch support inserts have an "L" and an "R" stamped on them and they were in there correctly.  I tried switching to the Medium insert and it seemed like it felt a bit better, so I'll give that a go tonight.

One thing I WON'T be doing is removing the insoles every time I use the skates... What a PITA getting that stuff back in the skate with the insert where I stuck it on the insole...

Mark

I gave up on the inserts on my TF9 roller conversions. The insert kept coming off when I removed the insoles. I ended up forgetting one insert at home for one skate and actually found the skate with no insert more comfortable. The next skate, I went without the inserts and don't think I am going back.

Howdy,

18 hours ago, hockeydad3 said:

For you a Zuperior S (6-12-20 feet)  feels the same like a 9/10 feet profile? 

I'm using my Tf7 without arch inserts and the stock insole. 

No.  Profile definitely feels different, but I don't feel unstable on my heels like you describe.  I would say if anything it feels like there's a little steel missing under my toes or something.  With the same radius cut, these skates also feel like they have more grip on the ice than the Makos did.

I need to decide if I'm ready to commit enough to the fit of these that I won't be returning them and should spend money on profiles.  I guess I probably am?

Another skate last night.  I tied the skates tighter from the get-go and didn't have "toe into the end" issues like I did on the initial skate.  There's a bit of a hot spot on both feet on the side of the ball of my foot... Feels like maybe my foot is moving up and down a bit there?  Its a "rubbing" type of sensation vs. pressure.  Considering dropping the tongue lower into the skate to see if that will lock the front of my foot down a bit more.  I wouldn't mind having less tongue above the boot either.  Also considering a rebake and using the saran wrap method.

I'm undecided about the medium arch insert.  I think that's a little better than the large, but I was still for sure feeling a step/pressure on the underside of my arch.  I'll probably try them again with it in there.

Now that JR isn't doing profiling, what's the hookup for getting profiled steel?  The shop I bought them from does have a ProSharp so I guess I could just go through them.  The only question I have at this point is that on my old skates I had a Zuperior S, but that was on a 263 runner and it seems like ProSharp says to use a Zuperior XS on a 254 runner like I have now?
https://kkskate.com/blog/discover-the-secrets-of-skate-profiling

Not sure if I should ask for a Zuperior S or an XS.

Mark

2 hours ago, marka said:

Mark

Don't overthink it. I was skating on a Quad 0 and my customs came with a Quad XS and I didn't notice/experience any difference.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, marka said:

Now that JR isn't doing profiling, what's the hookup for getting profiled steel?  The shop I bought them from does have a ProSharp so I guess I could just go through them.  The only question I have at this point is that on my old skates I had a Zuperior S, but that was on a 263 runner and it seems like ProSharp says to use a Zuperior XS on a 254 runner like I have now?
https://kkskate.com/blog/discover-the-secrets-of-skate-profiling

Mark

There’s a guy who used to work at Ko, Jason Binney, who has his own sharpening shop now. I really like him. He’s in Sewickley, but you can mail him steal if you wanna save the drive. 

https://www.binnieshockey.com

• Like 1

On 7/12/2021 at 9:10 AM, marka said:

Just because a shop has the machine doesn't always mean they know what they are doing. I see so many profiles come into my store mangled, steel uneven, toe not blended properly, all sorts of terrible stuff. Sigh.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, start_today said:

There’s a guy who used to work at Ko, Jason Binney, who has his own sharpening shop now. I really like him. He’s in Sewickley, but you can mail him steal if you wanna save the drive. 

https://www.binnieshockey.com

I have heard good things about his shop though I haven't used him for anything to this point.  Sewickly is no closer than Neville for me so I just keep going to Rich.

4 minutes ago, 218hockey said:

Mail to him and pay $50 for a profiling? I don't think so.

Interesting considering the store he came from charges $25, although I think I've always had them do it when I bought new skates, so not sure if they discount for that or if that is the price regardless.

Howdy,

Binnies is close enough that I'd probably just go there.

Another skate last night.  After trying the medium inserts and still feeling a line of pressure on my instep I just removed the inserts altogether.  That definitely was better.  I think the extra arch support is nicer with the inserts, but the way they work it seems to press the edge of the insole up into my foot and I can feel that lip.  If that was a smooth transition maybe it would be better, but for now... I'm on the no insert plan.

I also adjusted my tongues down in the skate another 1/2" to 1" or so.  That seemed to really help lock the front of my foot down in the boot and even after 4 hours on the ice reffing I didn't notice a hot spot on the sides of the balls of my feet like I had before.  A side benefit was making them easier to tuck under shins / pull out from under shins.

What has been everyone's experience with Shift steel vs. Step steel?  Interested in the uncoated versions, just because I want to keep being able to use a stone to deburr.  It's time for me to get a profile and figure I'll add a set of steel at the same time.

Mark

45 minutes ago, marka said:

What has been everyone's experience with Shift steel vs. Step steel?  Interested in the uncoated versions, just because I want to keep being able to use a stone to deburr.  It's time for me to get a profile and figure I'll add a set of steel at the same time.

Mark

The new TRUE Shift steel is very good, I would say it's nearly as good as STEP. It sharpens very well and retails a solid edge.

The black coated Shift steel is whatever, mostly cosmetic. 

The new DLC coated Shift steel is fantastic. Sharpen well. Holds a nice edge. The coating is durable and functional. 

Another option is Bladetech too. They make very good steel. 

Edited by PBH

Howdy,

Got another set of steel, profiled to Zuperior S.  I should be able to give that a workout this weekend.  🙂

One question... Does anyone know of a rigid skate blade holder that fits Shift steel?  I'd really rather not toss something in my bag that flexible, because I can't believe its good for loose steel to be banging around as easily as it seems to be able to bend.

Mark

25 minutes ago, marka said:

Howdy,

Got another set of steel, profiled to Zuperior S.  I should be able to give that a workout this weekend.  🙂

One question... Does anyone know of a rigid skate blade holder that fits Shift steel?  I'd really rather not toss something in my bag that flexible, because I can't believe its good for loose steel to be banging around as easily as it seems to be able to bend.

Mark

I modified a standard A&R nylon pouch by cutting some thin-ish (1.5-2mm thick) PE plastic sheeting to size (a bit smaller than the sleeve size) and sliding them in.  Definitely makes it more rigid, although I was trying to solve for smaller sized steel getting stuck in there and being hard to get out, this will probably solve for your problem. 

Howdy,

Not sure if anyone really cares, but the TF7's are working out well.  Put a profile on a new set of steel that matched what I had on my previous Makos (Zuperior S) and I'm finally back to basically never thinking about my skates.  I'm sure some of that is the additional time in the skates... I've got 14 skates (reffing and playing) in on them now.

At this point, my toes aren't QUITE brushing the end cap.  I do feel a ridge under my right big toe especially... Like a step where some material meets or something like that.  I haven't pulled the laces to try and see what's going on there.  I thought about maybe trying to smooth that out with a die grinder or filling an area with epoxy or something to make it less of a sharp transition.  Its fairly minor though, so I might just keep ignoring it.  Otherwise no hot spots or rubbing or whatever.  I'm guessing that change from the first skates is a combination of the foams/padding breaking in more with use and moving the tongues down in the skate.

Pretty happy with these things!

Mark

(Just so nobody interested needs to dig back... I went from 7.5 regular width Mako M8's (probably should have been in wides) to 6.5 regular width TF-7s.  My take is that the True skates are marked around .75 size listings smaller than 'standard' and are also a bit wider/more volume than the old Vapor / "fit 1" type things though the mold-ability may let them work for narrower feet as well)

Edited by marka
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, rinkrat94 said:

Anyone bake the TF9 without using the wrap?

I didn't use wrap for my initial bake. I have very low volume feet and did end up re baking and wrapping after my first skate to get a better fit. Didn't feel as "locked in" as I did with my customs.  Huge difference afterwards. Well worth the 9 bucks for the wrap on amazon. I have my own skate oven so it was just a matter of waiting for it to arrive.  Thought about going down to South Windsor Arena to see if their old CCM F.I.T. machine still worked, but the wrap worked great. I have very low volume feet, which is why I went with a pair of VH customs about 8 years ago. I've skated in the TF-9's 3 times in shoot arounds but not in a scrimmage or game yet. Still trying to get them dialed in, but they seem like they will work. I did change out the stock tongue for the felt model to take up some of the volume.  

Edited by Monty22

57 minutes ago, Monty22 said:

I didn't use wrap for my initial bake. I have very low volume feet and did end up re baking and wrapping after my first skate to get a better fit. Didn't feel as "locked in" as I did with my customs.  Huge difference afterwards. Well worth the 9 bucks for the wrap on amazon. I have my own skate oven so it was just a matter of waiting for it to arrive.  Thought about going down to South Windsor Arena to see if their old CCM F.I.T. machine still worked, but the wrap worked great. I have very low volume feet, which is why I went with a pair of VH customs about 8 years ago. I've skated in the TF-9's 3 times in shoot arounds but not in a scrimmage or game yet. Still trying to get them dialed in, but they seem like they will work. I did change out the stock tongue for the felt model to take up some of the volume.  

How do I find the wrap on Amazon?